Rhythm of War Typo Thread

Chaos

Ch26 p367 

“I’m...not sure what you mean by that, Brightness.” 

“I think you do.” 

It’s very possible that this is intentional, since it’s a common and easy mistake to make, but should Shallan be replying in kind with Ishnah here - “I think you are”, as in ‘are sure’, not ‘do know’? 

Ch35, p450 

This wasn’t the delicate beautiful dance of a duel - this wasn’t what he loved. 

Add a comma in between delicate and beautiful 

Ch42 p532 

One of her captors placed a strong hand on her arm, as they marched her around and around [...] 

Remove that first comma? 

Not a typo exactly, but in I-5 Lift isn’t referred to by name for a whole page (558). Of course, there’s no other ‘she’s to mix her up with, but it started to get repetitive to me personally and it grated here especially, with the form of sentence structure: 

She munched on more of the “stolen” food from her basket, then sighed and got up. She stepped up to a side wall, putting her back to the stone. 

Brandon’s usually a little more varied than this, so I thought you might want to change the first one to a ‘Lift’. It’s certainly not an error though, so I’m sorry if this recommendation is overstepping. 

EDIT: I found a copyright page error; in the artist credits, one of Isaac Stewart’s pieces is mistakenly listed as the illustration preceding chapter 46. There is no art there; instead, the glyphs page directly precedes chapter 47. 

Ch48 p616 

“Ruins, you say?” he looked up sharply. 

He should be capitalized - I don’t think ‘look’ is one of those things you can say you did to a word. 

Edit: ch49 p625 

[talking about Adhesion/Full Lashings] He’d used it during his early days as a bridgeman to stick rocks to a chasm wall. 

I believe this is an inconsistency - Kaladin’s first time doing this was when he was a guardsman for Dalinar, if I remember correctly. During his time as a bridgeman, he barely used this ability, and definitely didn’t during his “early days” as one. 

Edited by Ookla the Intimidating

On 11/26/2020 at 10:14 PM, Ookla the Intimidating said:

Ch48 p616 

He should be capitalized - I don’t think ‘look’ is one of those things you can say you did to a word. 

Edit: ch49 p625 

I believe this is an inconsistency - Kaladin’s first time doing this was when he was a guardsman for Dalinar, if I remember correctly. During his time as a bridgeman, he barely used this ability, and definitely didn’t during his “early days” as one. 

Actually, he did stick rocks to a chasm wall as a bridgeman. The first time he notices himself doing this (accidentally) is sticking a bag to the side of a barrel in chapter 57 of WoK ("Teft tells him that he’s been consuming Stormlight, and Kaladin notices that he stuck a pack to the side of the barrel, where it is still hanging." from the TOR re-read at https://www.tor.com/2014/02/13/the-way-of-kings-reread-chapter-57/). Then, he starts sticking rocks to the side of a chasm wall in chapter 59 ("Kaladin realizes the solution, and begins Lashing rocks to the chasm wall." from the re-read summary at https://www.tor.com/2014/02/27/the-way-of-kings-reread-chapter-59/ - this is the same chapter that Hashal tells Bridge 4 that they are now assigned to permanent bridge duty and also chasm duty and shortly before he puts on the Parshendi armor for the first time on a bridge run). While this isn't very early in his bridgeman days, all of his bridgeman days were early in his time using radiant powers, so it's still valid.

Edited by Tiek00n
typo

Navani’s notebook (Dagger)

(once again, exact quote, no letter changes so as to show the second mistake. Punctuation is added)

Uhy give into my enemy’s hands the means to destroy meha?

Meha could be a person, but it is more likely that it should read “Uhy give into my enemy’s hands the means to destroy me?”

I uill prokeed uith my eksperiments

K replaces C instead of S

On 11/27/2020 at 10:53 AM, Tiek00n said:

Then, he starts sticking rocks to the side of a chasm wall in chapter 59 ("Kaladin realizes the solution, and begins Lashing rocks to the chasm wall." 

Ah, I had forgotten about that scene, thanks! 

On 11/27/2020 at 0:14 AM, Ookla the Intimidating said:

Kaladin did this in the Chasm with Rock and The Lopen while they were trying to attach the bag of spheres to the bridge.

I should have read the next comment....

Edited by IllNsickly
Oops

On 11/27/2020 at 3:44 PM, Ookla the Rhadamanthine said:

Navani’s notebook (Dagger)

(once again, exact quote, no letter changes so as to show the second mistake. Punctuation is added)

Meha could be a person, but it is more likely that it should read “Uhy give into my enemy’s hands the means to destroy me?”

K replaces C instead of S

Meha is used again in similar context (by Raboniel at the end of a question), so I doubt it was a typo. (see italics in quote two)

In the last Navani's notebook page, the is spelled t-h-e rather than using the th letter twice

The rhythms kause patterns in the sand

[H]ou could I have antisipated the magnitude of uhat you have kept hidden from meha?

Scholar is possibly misspelled, or it could just be a coice based on the sound of the ch

I uish I kould konsult a true skolar koncerning this.

Ch67, top of pg779

She'd eventually put Rlain together with the surgeon and his wife, and delivered all three of them to help care for the fallen Radiants.

This sentence is "She would put this there, and would delivered that there". Delivered should be deliver.

Page 9

"It's almost assuredly something I either didn't show them or time, or forgot to change."

Please tell me I'm not the only one who doesn't understand The time there.

And on Page 17 Shallan's drawing of the Atrium there is another Women's Script Error

It's supposed to say Tier instead it says "Dier"

Edited by Ookla The Frustrated

On 12/3/2020 at 5:54 PM, Ookla the Intimidating said:

Ch67, top of pg779

This sentence is "She would put this there, and would delivered that there". Delivered should be deliver.

No, "she'd" means "she had" not "she would" - it's

She had eventually put Rlain together with the surgeon and his wife, and delivered all three of them to help care for the fallen Radiants.

Not

She would eventually put Rlain together with the surgeon and his wife, and delivered all three of them to help care for the fallen Radiants.

So using "delivered" is correct because both of them are the same tense - she had put and she had delivered.

In WoK and WoR breachtree is spelled with an a:

Kal wore a thick, padded coat of breachtree cotton. The material was scratchy but warm, and had been dyed a deep brown. (WoK 25)

The terms were for an exchange of goods, Father trading some of his breachtree cotton and raw shum to Revilar in exchange for a small payment. Revilar would then take the goods to market for sale. (WoR 45)

while in chapter 15 of RoW it is spelled "breechtree" without the a:

In contrast to the fine silk, Zahel was like the pelt of some freshly killed mink. His breechtree cotton robe was old and worn, his beard untamed—like a patch of grass growing freely in a nook sheltered from the wind—and he wore a rope for a belt.

One of these is likely a typo

On 12/5/2020 at 10:07 PM, Tiek00n said:

No, "she'd" means "she had" not "she would"

Ah, I was misreading that sentence and the timeline, thank you!

Ch72 pg827

"And unaware of their own naiveness."

I checked, and I'm 99% sure that this isn't a word. It should be naivety.

ch77 pg886

Ulim hopped onto her shoulder and grabbed hold of her hair.

I don't believe that we've ever known listeners to call hair 'hair'; instead they have 'hairstrands'. I could be wrong here - I didn't reread the Coppermind page.

US hardcover edition:

Ch. 5, p. 80, paragraph 10: In "his hands, arms and the contours of his body", either the arms are not specifically his or Kaladin is using "his the contours of his body". I think I'd add another "his" before "arms".

Ch. 9, p. 132, first paragraph: In "Spren manifested as larger, or more complete versions", the comma should be removed.

Ch. 13, p. 178, paragraph 2: "she was feeling better by the time she finished meetings with her accountants and ministers." I think "meetings" may be an error for "meeting".

Ch. 37, p. 471, paragraph 8: "It had proved the listeners for generations" I can't make sense of "proved" here. Is it perhaps meant to be "provided for", or "proved itself to", or something else?

Ch. 43, p. 535, paragraph 2: "bleary eyed" should be hyphenated.

Ch. 48, p. 615, paragraph 7: "didn't bestow the humans with a glance" One might bestow a glance upon someone, but not bestow a person with a glance. So perhaps "didn't bestow upon the humans a glance"? (The word I can think of that comes closest to what "bestow" is being used for here is actually "honor", but that would call to mind the Shard of Honor, so it may or may not be a good replacement.)

Ch. 53, p. 659, paragraph 12: "Timbre pulsed worryingly." I wonder if this was meant to say "worriedly".

Ch. 64, p. 758, paragraph 5: "it is no more unfair when the most skilled swordsman on the battlefield falls to a stray arrow." Is there meant to be a "than" after "unfair" here?

Ch. 71, p. 823, paragraph 15: "here the highstorm would still be hours away from this region." "Here" and "from this region" are redundant.

Ch. 92, p. 1009, paragraph 6: "human femalen writing system" I think this should say "female" rather than "femalen", since it's in reference to humans.

Ch. 97, p. 1046, paragraph 5: I think "undo" should be "redo" instead. Earlier Navani "undid" the clasps in order to connect the side chambers of the vacuum tube to the center; here Raboniel is doing the opposite.

Ch. 103, p. 1107, paragraph 3: "leapt" should be "leaped".

Ch. 111, p. 1158, paragraph 2: "wide eyed" should be hyphenated.

Ch. 117, p. 1212, paragraph 4: In "How do you think You survived that long", "You" should not be capitalized (other than small caps).

On 11/23/2020 at 5:11 PM, AndrolGenhald said:

Not sure if this one is an error or not, but in a flashback to the night of Gavilar's assassination on page 882 Venli refers to parshmen as "enslaved singers". I hadn't thought Ulim had taught her that term yet, but I suppose he could have offscreen.

Chapter 117 also has a possible example of this (page 1211, paragraph 7): "A song for a singer who could fight, but also for a soldier who wanted to lay down her sword."

Edited by Zizoz

US Hardcover p. 466 "The triangulation of the spanreed had led them to a strange dark location..."

In ch. 28 they only take two measurements, which would be more of a...biangulation? This is not enough to pin your location to the place by the monastery. A single measurement tells you how far away the origin location is, and we should imagine that as a sphere where the spanreed author could be anywhere on the surface of the sphere (usually in Roshar they'd probably think in circles, but the tower makes us go 3d). Two measurements means we have two spheres of possible locations, and the intersection of those spheres gives us now a single 2d circle to look at (think about two soap bubbles sticking together--the intersection is a circle that now represents our possible origin locations). Since it reads like they didn't go up or down before taking the second measurement, this would allow them to determine a vertical circle of possible locations, perpendicular to and centering on their path of travel and located halfway between the two measurements. The fact that they ran through the tower implies that the vertical circle would be inside the tower, with tons of possible locations. The ardents and our favorite "sponsor" of research would be aware of this. 

Solutions

1. Add a third measurement. Unlikely to work with the flow of the story.
  2. Mention that they'd pinned location down to a set number of locations, including near the monastery, and nix the use of the word triangulation.
  3. Ignore this because I'm being pedantic. 

Obviously the Dragonsteel team has tons of resources at its disposal but if you want a high school math/physics teacher to vet your ideas give me a ring :) 

Do the Alethi and Shin calculate ages differently? If not, there seems to be a discrepancy:

(US hardcover)

Chapter 7, page 104: Shallan says, "He [Gavinor] is only a boy, not yet six."

Chapter 54, page 665: Dalinar thinks, "What five-year-old wanted to go to bed?"

Interlude 7, page 831: "Dalinar knelt down, showing Gavinor––a child not yet five––how to hold his practice sword." (Szeth's POV)

US Hardback, first edition

I don't know if typos in the women's script count -- and maybe it's something they can't fix regardless, since this is an actual image -- but on the second page of Rhythm of War (the in-book text), the word "the" is repeatedly spelled with a "t" symbol followed by an "h" symbol, rather than the "th" symbol.

Is this actually important, or am I being a geek? If it is, though, I can post the translation of the quote and point out where they spelled it wrong.

Not sure if this is a typo or foreshadowing: 

Location 12211 to 12223

Dalinar stepped forward, walking among his stunnedbodyguards, noting eight lines of light extending from Nale into the distance.

Then later:

“No, only one line of it is completely broken. The rest are there, but weak, impotent.” Dalinar pointed to one line, bright and powerful. “Except one. Still vibrant.”

If the broken line is Jezrian’s then Dalinar saw nine lines. Or it could be foreshadowing one of the Heralds breaking completely from the Oathpact. I figured I’d point it out on the off chance it wasn’t intentional.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

Chapter 35:

The solemn Edgedancer didn’t have any Stormlight—­they’d used the last of it the previous night, making food stores for the trip home—­but Godeke had practice scouting as part of his Radiant training.

I think "but Godeke had practice scouting" is wrong, maybe it should be "but Godeke had to practice scouting".

Apologies if this has been posted before, I did a ctrl+f for "Godeke" but don't want to spoil anything by reading the other replies thoroughly.

2 hours ago, Miriad said:

Chapter 35:

I think "but Godeke had practice scouting" is wrong, maybe it should be "but Godeke had to practice scouting".

Apologies if this has been posted before, I did a ctrl+f for "Godeke" but don't want to spoil anything by reading the other replies thoroughly.

Seems fine to me. "Practice" is a noun here; "scouting" modifies it.

Perhaps this structure is relatively uncommon, but I could also say "Kaladin has a lot of experience fighting with a spear," for instance.

• 3 weeks later...

In Oathbringer chapter 21, Ialai Sadeas is described as "...a short woman with thick lips and green eyes".

In Oathbringer chapter 19 we also have "Navani slipped between tables, followed by the squatter form of Ialai Sadeas." So I think that's another indication that she is below-average in height.

However, in RoW chapter 7, she is described as "...a woman of moderate height".

This isn't an obvious typo, but both chapters are from Shallan's POV; if anything, I would think that Ialai would look even shorter than she had previously (given her otherwise withered appearance).

Edited by Big Smooth
clarify