Rhythm of War Typo Thread

Chaos

I think I've found a timeline error for Adolin's trial. Both of these conversations happen on the same day. Maybe Kalak just overruled the honorspren timeline though? 

“Yes,” she said. “The honorspren have set the date for your trial. It is.”
“When?”
“Three days.”

RoW Chapter 78

“Here I am, years after joining you, and you still don’t have a way for me to get off this cursed world. Fine, boy, trial by witness it is. We can start it … um, the day after tomorrow? Is that acceptable for everyone?”
No one objected.”

RoW Chapter 82

The Fourth Bridge sketchbook image seems to have a few typos. Ones I noticed are a missing letter from the third word of the second line ("thrillng" should be "thrilling" instead), and the fourth word of the second to last line uses the "K" character for the "c" in the word "space" instead of an "S" character.

Edited by Binary Dragon

In chapter 26 when Shallan is talking to Beryl and seeing if she is a spy, there is a part that says "Veil said". Veil has been adamant about not taking control and making Shallan do all the talking. It should be Shallan said. Here is the passage from the book: 

By the end,” Beryl continued, “I had a lot of control over the men who came to me. I liked becoming the woman they wanted. It wasn’t until you came searching for me, though, that I realized the truth.” She looked straight at Shallan. “That I could walk away if I wanted to. Nothing was keeping me there. Not any longer. I could have left months earlier. Odd, isn’t it?”

“That’s how it always is,” Veil said.

“Pardon, Brightness, but it’s not. A lot of the women are worse off than me. They couldn’t simply leave; it was the moss for some, threats for others. Some of us though…” She looked at her hand and let the seeds drop into the pile. “We talk about transformation. The Almighty’s greatest blessing to humans: the ability to change. Sometimes we need a seed too, eh?”

RoW Chapter 11, page 153.

But Leshwi didn't care about mortal feelings of propriety. She didn't so much as hum a note of embarrassment, though in this incarnation, the bode offered to her had been malen. 

I'm pretty sure this is supposed to say male? Unless I'm missing something here.

Edit: Reading more, it says Malen again so it might just be a Singer thing.

Edited by Empress Stick

50 minutes ago, Empress Stick said:

RoW Chapter 11, page 153.

I'm pretty sure this is supposed to say male? Unless I'm missing something here.

Edit: Reading more, it says Malen again so it might just be a Singer thing.

That is a singer thing, they have four genders. 

This one really bothered me.

The Aethi traditionally use a ten-note scale...it wasn't the only scale in use around the world. There were dozens. The Thaylens, for example, preferred a twelve-note scale. A strange number...

Dozens two sentences before calling twelve a strange number. Should be scores (pairs of tens) or hundreds, to keep it Honorable.

11 minutes ago, Rainier said:

This one really bothered me.

Dozens two sentences before calling twelve a strange number. Should be scores (pairs of tens) or hundreds, to keep it Honorable.

A dozen actually is ten in Roshar, iirc - they don’t have the word so as not to kick readers out of the experience (though it seemed to go the other way for you :P

King of Herdaz

In the Stormlight books, the number ten is thematically and culturally very important. In The Way of Kings Prime, the word "tenset" is commonly used to refer to ten of something. So, when Rosharans in the published Stormlight books talk about "a dozen" of something, do they mean twelve? Or do they mean ten?

Brandon Sanderson

It's a great question. I've been using "tens" more often in Stormlight, because I've found that people will go with it. One of the problems I felt with Way of Kings Prime was that the worldbuilding, the learning curve was too steep. So when I wrote Way of Kings the new version, I scaled back a little on that. We mentioned weeks, but we don't talk about about the fact that on Roshar, a week is five days, right? We talk about hours, but we don't go into the length of time a day is. It gets all wibbly-wobbly, shall we say.

And my explanation of this is: these are all in translation. The translator (who is me) who is interpreting it, most of the time, when they say "tens," I will write "a dozen," or something like that. But not always.

Now, I am edging toward more "tens," because in-world they would use "tens." Peter is okay with this. Karen's like, "Eh, it makes continuity a little wonky." But I feel like, having gone as long as we have, people are okay dealing with more of that, so I'm leaning that direction. But understand, I am the translator presenting this to you. Pretend that, when Wit says something that's a pun in their language, I am finding a pun in English that is similar and writing it out, because he's not actually saying what the book is having him say.

But this is all just something you have to put in to imagine to keep that sense of immersion for you. And whichever one works to help you. But, yeah, they would be using "tens." They'd say "tens of" this, instead of "dozens," more often.

Navani’s notebook #1, sentence 1

(typos in bold, other misspellings are due to C and W not being separate letters)

“The Fourth Bridge is not as pretty as my fansiful designs but it is thrillng to see the ship koming together”

Sentence 9 also

Stairs might fold up into a table to save spake and ueight

EDIT: it appears that someone already said this

Edited by Doomstick

I pointed out in another thread that in Part 4 Kalak uses the term Hell. Which doesn't exist in the Cosmere since it is an Earth term. I don't know if this is an actual mistake or not but I thought I would point it out since someone said it could be a typo. I will provide the page number and line when I get home later this evening.

EDIT: Found it.

Chapter 87 Page 966: "You don't have prisons, and I doubt he'll care if you exile him. Hell, half the people in this place would regard escaping your presence to be a reward."

Edited by Zurvanite

Elthebar the Stormwarden is both in Urithiru with Navani immediately after the invasion (page 519) and also in Emul with Dalinar when Dalinar joined the Stormfather to get a better look at Urithiru (page 817). When it called out Elthebar with Dalinar I was prepared for it to be a Fused in disguise but he was never mentioned again.

US hardback page 554 smallcaps "how?" is uncapitalized.

"Then make him afraid. Make him dread. Break him."

how?

Vyre looked up, across the endless field of golden stone.

Not sure if this one is an error or not, but in a flashback to the night of Gavilar's assassination on page 882 Venli refers to parshmen as "enslaved singers". I hadn't thought Ulim had taught her that term yet, but I suppose he could have offscreen.

Audiobook

chapter 39

12:00 or so

To Kaladin: “ .., Relain Asked?”

Delivered as though it were part of the question

might be a creative choice thing, but it really stuck out to me as odd. In fact, my fiancé and I kept rewinding it and Laughing at the delivery.