Rhythm of War Full Book Reactions

Chaos

On 11/18/2020 at 2:33 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Also, it’s still Raysium. Like Atium and Lerasium retain their names. Harmony was an entirely new shard, so has a different metal.

i dont think thats exactly how it works.

WoB on Kelsier and Metal

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

If Kelsier created a metal while holding Preservation that it would have acted the same as lerasium, though over time the properties of it might shift.

Footnote: Unspecified question by Ted Herman
Arcanum Unbounded Hoboken signing (Dec. 3, 2016)

Existing Raysium(made by Rayse) would still be Raysium, and through the WoB we can deduce that Taravangians metal will also “act like” Raysium for the time being but can change properties.

notice how in the WoB, he said Kelsier’s metal would've “acted like lerasium” and not that it would “be Lerasium”

so the same can probably be said for Taravangian. His metal may “act the same” as Raysium but that alone doesn't mean its the same metal.

So i think if Taravangian made a godmetal right now. It would still have the same properties as Raysium, but would instead be Taravangium(or whatever it turns out being called) and in the future his metal could have such different properties than Raysium(which will kinda finally distinguish it, as its own metal. Even though it has been all along)

while i do think it will be “harder” for Tarvangian to make a metal of his own, with different properties than Raysium(because Raysium is already in existence, and that is the way things have been for 10,000 years), it’s definitely happening 

Edited by Eternal Khol

Well, I just finished this book. Allow me to give you a general idea of what my (mostly internal) reaction to reading it was. 

Spoiler

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRadianttottalykilledIaliaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHWHY IS THIS NOT HAPPENING AT THE END OF THE BOOKAAAHHHHHKaladinRambomodetime!AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (I feel really bad for everyone right now) AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (Okay, I can't keep up with this, I'll skip to the end of the book) AAAHHHHHHH MOASH NOOOOOOOOOOOO AHHHHHHH PLEASE DON'T KILL TEF-NO I DON'T WANT TO EAT DINNER RIGHT NOW AAAAAHHHHH KALADIN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH KALADIN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KALADIN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooKALADINYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

(Some slightly more sane reactions) I kinda expected Rayse to last a little longer than that, but whatever. Oh nice, Hoid got outplayed. That is terrifying. Kelsier is Thaidakar, ghostbloods not totally evil? Kalak's cool, too bad that Jezrien's dead for good, Isar is..... not sane. Maybe Shallan haters will like her more now? I am split between hating Moash with every fiber of my being, and pitying him from the depths of my soul. There goes my Shardplate/fifth oath theory. Kaladin is awesome. Windrunners are attracting pieces of Honor to them as they swear the oaths, which increases their connection to Honor and their power. Can they perhaps summon enough of Honor's power to create miniature perpendicularities, granting them infinite stormlight? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. New fifth ideal theory? TEN DAYS? AND I HAVE TO WAIT THREE YEARS?!?!?!??!?!??!??!?!? (I can see why this had to be written before The Lost Metal. That basically confirms that Kelsier is going to be in it. Also, Odium will remain on Roshar no matter what happens with the contest, but he also might be able to send agents to other planets. We got a bunch of new shard names and Cosmere lore so casually. Mercy helped Odium Mercykill Ambition? how badly was Ambition wounded? Maybe her Vessel was almost killed, losing all ability to control his intent, but still being alive enough to keep her power from being directionless, meaning that all she was was a force of pure Ambition dangerous enough to potentially defeat Odium and go on to destroy the Cosmere? Just a guess.

Edited by Nameless

40 minutes ago, Nameless said:

Well, I just finished this book. Allow me to give you a general idea of what my (mostly internal) reaction to reading it was. 

Hide contents

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRadianttottalykilledIaliaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHWHY IS THIS NOT HAPPENING AT THE END OF THE BOOKAAAHHHHHKaladinRambomodetime!AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (I feel really bad for everyone right now) AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (Okay, I can't keep up with this, I'll skip to the end of the book) AAAHHHHHHH MOASH NOOOOOOOOOOOO AHHHHHHH PLEASE DON'T KILL TEF-NO I DON'T WANT TO EAT DINNER RIGHT NOW AAAAAHHHHH KALADIN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH KALADIN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KALADIN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooKALADINYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

(Some slightly more sane reactions) I kinda expected Rayse to last a little longer than that, but whatever. Oh nice, Hoid got outplayed. That is terrifying. Kelsier is Thaidakar, ghostbloods not totally evil? Kalak's cool, too bad that Jezrien's dead for good, Isar is..... not sane. Maybe Shallan haters will like her more now? I am split between hating Moash with every fiber of my being, and pitying him from the depths of my soul. There goes my Shardplate/fifth oath theory. Kaladin is awesome. Windrunners are attracting pieces of Honor to them as they swear the oaths, which increases their connection to Honor and their power. Can they perhaps summon enough of Honor's power to create miniature perpendicularities, granting them infinite stormlight? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. New fifth ideal theory? TEN DAYS? AND I HAVE TO WAIT THREE YEARS?!?!?!??!?!??!??!?!? (I can see why this had to be written before The Lost Metal. That basically confirms that Kelsier is going to be in it. Also, Odium will remain on Roshar no matter what happens with the contest, but he also might be able to send agents to other planets. We got a bunch of new shard names and Cosmere lore so casually. Mercy helped Odium Mercykill Ambition? how badly was Ambition wounded? Maybe his Vessel was almost killed, losing all ability to control his intent, but still being alive enough to keep his power from being directionless, meaning that all he was was a force of pure Ambition dangerous enough to potentially defeat Odium and go on to destroy the Cosmere? Just a guess.

Kell being Thaidakar does not equal the Ghostbloods not being totally evil, but I never really thought they were. Highly immoral, definitely. Evil likely comes down to the individual members. Better question: why aren’t Kell and Saze talking?

Kell had better show up in TLM, so Wax can ask... all the wrong questions... which Kell isn’t even going to answer properly... WHEN are we getting this book?!

Ambition was female. 

Fourteen down, two to go! Thanks Saze!

Okay, so I'm not going to be able to read the book for a few weeks because I'm in the middle of a semester, but I have to know: Does Kaladin get a hug or some comfort from anyone? Syl, his parents, a member of Bridge 4, Dalinar...? He's been through so much and I just wanted to hug him after Oathbreaker, but it sounds like he's going to go through even more here. Please tell me someone is there for him so he doesn't have to feel so alone in his struggles! :(

3 minutes ago, DragonStorm said:

Okay, so I'm not going to be able to read the book for a few weeks because I'm in the middle of a semester, but I have to know: Does Kaladin get a hug or some comfort from anyone? Syl, his parents, a member of Bridge 4, Dalinar...? He's been through so much and I just wanted to hug him after Oathbreaker, but it sounds like he's going to go through even more here. Please tell me someone is there for him so he doesn't have to feel so alone in his struggles! :(

Yes and no...

2 minutes ago, DragonStorm said:

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please clarify! I cannot bear the suspense of having to wait until this Adonalsium-forsaken semester is over to find out. I don't even care about spoilers anymore!! 

The answer is a yes. Kaladin gets a lot of comfort and support, from a lot of people.

3 minutes ago, DragonStorm said:

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please clarify! I cannot bear the suspense of having to wait until this Adonalsium-forsaken semester is over to find out. I don't even care about spoilers anymore!! 

Well he does, and then he doesn’t, and then he does again but also doesn’t (at the same time from different people), and then he does in the most awesome way ever... but I don’t want to spoil it more than that.

1 minute ago, Nameless said:

The answer is a yes. Kaladin gets a lot of comfort and support, from a lot of people.

Just now, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Well he does, and then he doesn’t, and then he does again but also doesn’t (at the same time from different people), and then he does in the most awesome way ever... but I don’t want to spoil it more than that.

Okay...I'm glad to hear this. Does he get to hug Syl again? I loved that scene in Oathbreaker.

Just now, Nameless said:

Well.... I just didn't do anything I didn't have to. If I didn't have school I would have finished it yesterday.

Just now, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I had to stay up all night to be my daughter’s nurse on the 17th. Then I was totally sick last night, so gave up on sleeping to finish.

You guys are so lucky! I can't wait to read it but I have to slog through 3 more weeks of horrific classes and impossible exams until I get there.

23 hours ago, Mulk said:

Really enjoyed it, but the triple-whammy of Taravangian not only not dying as he deserved, but ascending as Odium, making it abundantly clear that Cultivation made a huge mistake, followed by the Wit epilogue was a gut punch that left me with a real downer taste in my mouth.  Really wish it had ended on a better note.

I couldn't agree more!

I wish I hadn't read the epilogue at all right until the release of Book 5. But of course I had to read the epilogue - they were some of my favourite parts in the first three books. This one was different.

Edited by Pattern
embarrassing Typo

Kaladin going berserker after Teft is a scene that I think passes the Arena scene in WoR for me. Seeing from another POV was such a good choice. Soon as Kaladin grabbed Ole Defeated I audibly said “ Uh oh, this bayd, so bayd”. 

I’ve seen a few people complain about the Fourth Ideal but I disagree. This was the pivot point Kaladin needed to make in logical character development. Also, Shardplate Kaladin is just straight up awesome sauce. 

Side note, the Teft thing isn’t what pushed me over the edge with Tw*t Waffle 9000(taking one out of Odiums book and giving him a new, proper title). What pushed me over the edge was his POV right after. A person with wrong convictions still is brave enough to stand by them. Tw*t Waffle 9000 is now simply a coward with the wrong convictions. Something ya can’t even muster pity for. 

37 minutes ago, Kered said:

Kaladin going berserker after Teft is a scene that I think passes the Arena scene in WoR for me. Seeing from another POV was such a good choice. Soon as Kaladin grabbed Ole Defeated I audibly said “ Uh oh, this bayd, so bayd”. 

I’ve seen a few people complain about the Fourth Ideal but I disagree. This was the pivot point Kaladin needed to make in logical character development. Also, Shardplate Kaladin is just straight up awesome sauce. 

Side note, the Teft thing isn’t what pushed me over the edge with Tw*t Waffle 9000(taking one out of Odiums book and giving him a new, proper title). What pushed me over the edge was his POV right after. A person with wrong convictions still is brave enough to stand by them. Tw*t Waffle 9000 is now simply a coward with the wrong convictions. Something ya can’t even muster pity for. 

Pretty much agree with this.

Just wanna say I really want Tw*t Waffle 9000 to catch as the M/V words unofficial name.

Edited by Harkain

Kaladin's beast mode unlocking was terrifying. Genuinely downright damn good and terrifying. At this point, there is no redemption for Moash. I have a support thread pinned in Character forum, feel free to destroy Vyre with words and predictions. 

So, yeah, one of the interesting moments was when Kaladin just blows the fuse after seeing Teft dead and the way he kills Pursuer...uh, like ripping his head apart and then goes to killl two Heavenly Ones without wasting a breath and then jumping down the storm...I don't think my heart could take that much. 

Wait, what's up with his eyes though? Venli noticed that they blazed with yellowish-red colour? Was it just Radiant Rage or Odium/Honor meshed interaction? (Someone should make an art of it, I'm sure someone would!) 

1 hour ago, Ramona Tehradin said:

Wait, what's up with his eyes though? Venli noticed that they blazed with yellowish-red colour? Was it just Radiant Rage or Odium/Honor meshed interaction? (Someone should make an art of it, I'm sure someone would!) 

Corrupted Investiture. He did have Stormlight in him, when did that, didn't he?

Child of Tanavast - can we take that semiliterally? Kaladin is a direct, recent descendant of Tanavast and fueled some inherited magic of Tanavast's home world with Stormlight?