Rhythm of War Full Book Reactions

Chaos

1 minute ago, Vulcronos said:

Is there another secret society on Roshar we know about now?  One that brought Voidspren to the Listeners or are they part of one we know?  It was confirmed in book they weren't part of the Son's of Honor.

It seemed like there was a different secret society involved, definitely implied they were world hoppers to some extent as well.

Based off the Ars Arcanum it looks like Khriss has people active on Roshar now as well with her apparently sending someone into the Stoneward Ranks.

1 hour ago, Harkain said:

It seemed like there was a different secret society involved, definitely implied they were world hoppers to some extent as well.

Based off the Ars Arcanum it looks like Khriss has people active on Roshar now as well with her apparently sending someone into the Stoneward Ranks.

yeah, the feast night is getting even more confusing now, with Axindweth there and apparently another set of Feruchemists that turned Gavilar against her, so probably at least one and maybe two more different groups/agents in the palace

1 minute ago, Zedseayou said:

yeah, the feast night is getting even more confusing now, with Axindweth there and apparently another set of Feruchemists that turned Gavilar against her, so probably at least one and maybe two more different groups/agents in the palace

I actually missed the other set of Feruchemists. Oh boy that feast is one hell of a crowd. Just waiting for us to find out that apparently Cultivation was there as well in some form, along with Kelsier and Khriss haha.

Thinking on it tho it's actually a fairly decent possibility Khriss was there...

Just went through a 18 hour Rhythm of War marathon and its not yet over because my eyes started hurting and I had to pull on covers with anticipationspren hunting in my dreams. Edit: COMPLETED!

Overall Reaction

When I started watching reviews, it made me worried the way they spoke about limited character movement and groupings and arcs being convenient and all, and while I don't wholeheartedly agree to them, it did have its drawbacks but they were easily taken over by the way narrative shift transfected in all 'right' directions. RoW is the most unique fantasy book ever written to my belief because there are so many things, so many freaking things which BS defied and incorporated into this story. It seems to break the barrier by bringing the most prevalent issue forth which has been meagerly mentioned in any other book- Alignment of mind and heart. And that just won me over. 

Even though this book was supposed to be narrations from our main Listener/Parshendi sisters - Eshonai and Venli, I believe this is equally the book for Kaladin and Navani and boy, they were just phenomenal. Eshonai is dead but it was good to experience the world from her mind way before Warform and war with Alethkar had begun. Venli is a character you would love to hate but I abosolutely symphatized her cause. Sometimes some chose to relish in glory and some to let go, and Venli eventually realised that she might have taken a path to one route but her destination was something else. 

And Kaladin....Winds Alight, no words for this man. No words to describe how brilliant his character was. He was always my favorite and now he just breached that threshold to just soar up beyond limits. His arc was executed so brilliant, so fascinating, so apprehensive...it just makes me wonder even though this is an epic fantasy series, we do know who our real hero of first arc is and it doesn't comes from words or actions- it comes from heart and acceptance. 

Navani, a scholarly, searing surprise who just shines. I can't speak much without spoilers so hence, I'm gonna focus her stuff down below. We do have Adolin and Shallan, and their group heading to Lasting Integrity, and Danilar, Jasnah, Renarin and others fighting at Emul but they were restricted to certain parts and they were...not that refined compared to Kaladin-Navani-Venli arc. 

Part 1

Part 1 picks up with high-paced action, setting the world after Everstorm and Fused Returned to Roshar. A lot of stuff have happened in between, a lot many Radiants have been found and some bonds have strengthened and some have weakened. This was more of a conclusion itself, setting arcs for rest of book to follow in different directions. I wouldn't say I loved the first part because a lot of things were deliberately 'pushed' to move in certain directions which seemed too calculated to not be ignored by our main characters yet they fell into that lair and separated themselves to different journeys. 

Alright, part 1 spoilers (WITH MY SCREAMING REACTIONS) A LOT OF SPOILERS!

Spoiler
  • Gavilar and Navani already had falling out in their marriage. After reading this pretentious uppity king, I commend Szeth for killing him. (Die you monster!)
  • Hearthstone has become a refugee center. Laral, Lirin, Hesina and all are helping a Herdazian general name 'Mink'- the guy we met in Oathbringer's interlude and then suddenly Kaladin glows up and battles a new kind of Fused having Surge of Tansformation. It seems a special Fused has been keeping an eye on him as well. 
  • Navani and scholars have made a freaking flying ship that transports refugees based on same principle of conjoined fabrials but have replaced and modified the force vectors and action-reaction principle. 
  • Danilar can maintain a stable perpendicularity now (Yipee!) Navani hears distant lights and rhythms? 
  • Kaladin had a relationship with Lyn (NO!!!), and I am glad they broke up. He doesn't need a woman right now when his mind is...well, half of the book focuses on that anyway. 
  • Kaladin freezes when seeing Moash kill Roshone and the former Bridge Four member tries to have him 'give him' to his fears. (Suicide?) &^%$ Moash
  • Shallan being usual unstable. I used to care about her in TWoK and WoR. Don't care much here because she has become more annoying. 
  • Adolin and Kal's friendship has improved a great lot but the opposite can be told about Dalinar and Adolin's story. 
  • Szeth is in jail, Nighblood quietly speaking. Navani has him bring back the hyperviolet rippling sphere that Gavilar had given him. (It's a very, very chaotic stuff) 
  • Navani working to activate tower's functions. Has imposter syndrome dominating her mind in this part. People seem to appreciate her but they dictate her more as a queen than an artefabrian (SHE WILL SHOW YOU ALL)
  • Danilar has Kaladin take a forced retirement. (The sentiments hurt, really but it was for better). 
  • Rlain is trying to teach humans the 'Rhythms' but it's not that successful. 
  • Zahel bursts a cosmere dam on Kaladin while fighting him with Breaths. 
  • Kal's family come to Urithiru. I DO NOT LIKE LIRIN NOW. 
  • Navani gets blackmailed by an unknown spanreed user. Claims to stop experimenting on fabrials as it hurts spren. 
  • Shallan gets a new job by Mraize to go to Lasting Integrity and find Restares who is leader sort of Sons of Honor? Her mind is slipping past, and it seems too convinient that there is a forced plot coming for her. 
  • Mink devises plans to launch a full asault to reclaim Emul where enemy lines are sandwiched between coalition forces and Ishar's Tukar army. 
  • Wit is back. He and Jasnah are still conspiring. 
  • Navani asks her jeweler-turned astronomers to work on that strange sphere which Gavilar possessed. 
  • She devices a plan to use kinetic energy from highstorms to get stored in form of potential energy (windmills!)
  • Venli is serving Leshwi who appears to be very fascinated with Kaladin for 'unknown' reasons. Venli is starting to organize a small Listener community who can break off from Odium and live independently as Last Legion had once done. Singers have a council called 'Nine' who are overseeing their reclaimation of Roshar. 
  • A new character, Reboniel is introduced, Lady of Wishes she is called. We are supposed to be invested in her because she appears to have a lot of scheming inside her mind which has been going on for seven thousand years. 
  • The teleporting Fused which Kaladin killed Returns and is revealed to be a feared-wah-wah-maddened-revenge-seeking-banana who cannot be satiated until he killed the man that killed him aka Kaladin (boy, trouble coming!) 
  • Moash asks about Kaladin and Reboniel says he's not going to be that dangerous. Let's see how's that coming for you ;) . &%$# Moash (He appears to have some ulterior motive for Kaladin?) 
  • The Singers decide to divide coalition-Radiant forces and seize control of Urithiru whose spren is called Sibling and appears to be dead. (Ha! Let's see how's that coming for you!). Leshwi (why is she so facinated with our Windrunners) arranges Venli to spy and Reboniel devies the invasion plan. 
  • Jasnah has spoken her 4th Ideal. Dalinar is strong enough to be taken away from tower. Taravangian (I HATE YOU SO SO SO MUCH) affirms to full on assault. Navani thinks something is wrong. Sizgil is new companylord and hatches to send an envoy to Lasting Integrity, the fortress of Honorspren to convince them to bond with squires so that they an become Radiants. 
  • Shallan and Adolin lead for the enjoy (TOOOOO CONVINIENT) 
  • Lift is growing!
  • We see little Gavinor, healing but traumatized. 
  • People appear to be uneasy about Renarin's spren Glys. (Poor, guy) 
  • Stonewards have appeared. Dustbringers remain mostly to Taravangian's faction. Truthwatchers have also joined to Dalinar's Radiant faction. 
  • Sja-anat contacted Shallan to send an 'Enlightened/Corrupted' spren to Ghostbloods. (This Mraize guy needs to be punched. Where are you Kelsier?) 
  • Shallan has a new personality forming. Some repressed memories could be false and true? 
  • An aviar! 
  • Kaladin decides to continue his apprentice as a surgeon. Takes retirement (temporary?) from active service. 
  • Dalinar has a strange premonition but assures Navani. (Yeah, let's see how is that coming for you.) 

Feel free to add more here. 

Interludes:

- Syl

Finally, so glad to have her prespective in this book. This was something I've been looking forward to even after reading it before in newsletter earlier this year. 

Syl appears to be feeling helpless to provide aid for Kal's battle fatigue and PTSD but it also seems she has a darkness within her which scares her but she wants to explore it so that she can understand Kaladin. She talks to stormfather and mentions that Kaladin is Dalinar's champion which our rumbling spren scoffs and grumbles away. She then goes to Dalinar and they have genuine conversation about his nature as Bondsmith and asks his help. He does something to her? I'm not sure if the memories were because of her strengthening bond to Kaladin or Dalinar's Connection influence. 

- Sja-anat

Once nice Unmade, seeking a path for herself. I like her. She is planning something against Odium and...I don't think she exactly is evil? She just wants to feel....makes me wonder if BAM was trying to deliver justice for freedom before she got trapped. 

-Taravangian 

Go to hell and burn like you burned Diagram. Creepy, cunning and caverning old man. 

Part 2

We get the 1st group and 2nd group story continuity here. The characters get split to their arcs, Kaladin-Navani stay at Urithiru, Adolin-Shallan to Shadesmar and Dalinar-Jasnah-Renarin to Emul. This was one of my favorite parts because we got to see...so much rationality going on. Especially Kaladin's arc and the beautiful development that occured to his story here. Navani, always clever devised plans to capture her unknown spanreed contact while Adolin leaves Dalinar to Shadesmar with lingering tension. This part was like the calm and storm both packed together. It was the second build up which concluded to a surprised event which we were never anticipating to happen so quick and dear boy, the surprises were shocking! 

Spoilers pillage:

Spoiler
  • Shallan has her own Lightweaver team called Unseen Court but is wary of having a spy admist. 
  • Navani's unknown spanreed contact is a spren! AND she used principles of trigonometry to triangulate the location, you sneaky woman! 
  • Kaladin is Alethkar's Most Eligible Bachelor as if it was a surprise. Although...a selfish part of me wishes him to remain single. 
  • Ooooh, Mrazie gave a Seon to Shallan! 
  • Navani and Jasnah hug! (Finally) 
  • Szeth, Ash and Taln are all going to Emul in secret on Dalinar's wishes. 
  • Reboniel heading to Urithiru with Venli and Stoneward version of Fused, forgot their terms. (Can't seem to forget that this Fused leader once tried to exterminate in form of plague)
  • Rock stratas, keep them in mind. 
  • We meet a deadeye Cryptic which is claimed to be recently broken. (I'm thinking a loose end is going to bite Adolin's team here) 
  • Congratulations to me and those who theorized Stoneward's spren as Peakspren!
  • And Truthwatcher spren are called Mistspren...(too much Mistwraith reminders
  • Kaladin on path of becoming Roshar's first therapist! Bless you man, what wonders you still make! (Oh, Teft stayed behind as well and his spren is called Phendorana, we met her during Rock's POV first and later in Oathbringer!) 
  • Notum is back! Why is there an envoy from Tukar? 
  • Tower's defenses are not completely functional it seems. No scouts to report this Fused-Singer invasion? 
  • Shallan has one other secret it seems. Wonder what else she hid? 
  • Navani is blackmailed by the spren. 
  • Venli wishes to learn Stoneshaping. There appears to be a rhythm that compels her...(Wonder if Roshar is built on Rhythms
  • An explosion kills Navani's jeweler's (Possibly that sphere? What light did it contain? Voidlight or something else? And how the heck Gavilar got that?)
  • OH HECKKKKKKKK! Reboniel corrupts the Tower spren!
  • DOULE HECK! TOWER SPREN IS THE SIBLING AND WAS CONTACTING NAVANI! But I guess it was an open secret anyway. 

• Adolin and Shallan get separated from their group and willingly get captured by Honorspren. (AGAIN, Way too convinient!) 

• NOOOOOO! Radiants all lost their powers because of this corruption. Like that Fabrial which sucked Kaladin's powers. All Radiants are affected by that and fall unconsious ...except Kaladin. (What's the deal with him now?) 
  • Kaladin tries to protect Teft and help people. Takes help from Rlain. 
  • DAMNATION, Navani has surrendered! UHHHH! Wait...she and Sibling are going to work together. Dabbid can also hear Sibling? Didn't see that coming. 
  • Hell, Pursuer is here but they all believe Kaladin has gone to Emul. 
  • Navani and...Reboniel are going to work together? Well, I don't think Navani has any options left at this point. 
  • FEEL so terrible for Kaladin. He kills a Singer with a freaking scalpel in Sanctuary while trying to protect Teft and his father shuns him out. The worst part was when he called Kal a monster....damn my heart hurt. 
  • It looks like only Kaladin and Lift are not affected by the defense mechanism. Urithiru depends all on Kaladin and Navani. Where Zahel I wonder? 

Feel free to add more key moments from part 2

Interludes:

- Vyre

I speak again. I do not like this man. I absolutely do not like him and I'm just out from second part of book. There is something terrible inside him and that 'hollowness' he expresses is really worrying. 

Alright, I don't feel good for Kaladin here. Why does everyone is busy tormenting him! HE HAS ENOUGH ALREADY! And now Odium says to Moash that Kal is a bigger problem than anticipated and was forseen to be one. I don't understand what this is but if he kills you #$@% Odium-Moash-All horde of bad singers-lunatic Fused then so be it. HE WILL KILL YOU ALLL! 

Wait, why does Moash says that Kaladin can't be killed? Intriguing....makes me wonder...yeah, just what you are thinking. 

UHHHH! They want Kaladin out of picture. Must be because his nearness to Honor which makes Odium wary. In that way, all Windrunners are of honor but there is something special about Kaladin we all know. 

#$% you Moash. He's gonna create trouble. 

- Lift

She isn't affected by Radiant-power-outrage! And wait, where are these chickens coming from? I know they are...aviar maybe? Haven't read Sixth of the Dusk properly to deduce anything. 

Mraize....I hate you. 

-Taravangian 

Skipped it. 

Part 3

My second favorite part behind Part 5!!! Help yourself with the spoilers 

Spoiler
  • More focused on Kaladin I believe. Oh boy, even without half the powers, he is badass! 
  • Kaladin hauling Teft across hallways of Urithiru, chased by Fused, Singers and Pursuer...moving in dark....My breathe hitched down everytime Kal held his own. Damn so much suspense. I was literally down to biting my nails in this moment. 
  • Sibling makes contact with Kaladin. 
  • Budding kinship between Navani and Reboniel is...good. 
  • Not much of Dalinar but we get a amazing Renarin scene! His presence is not bad, you effing people! He even have some control over his futuresight I believe. 
  • Jasnah...I don't know, she seems overpowered again here. And more likely she wants to prove which was well, her first mark in queenship but moving into battle without training even in Shardplate is not a wise move. Plus...Wit? Eh. 
  • Sibling has four nodes as four safeguard systems and that's protecting them. Reboniel is after it to corrupt! We saw Navani destroying one in Part 2.
  • Finally, Navani and Kaladin make contact with each other due to Sibling. Talk about wireless networking xD. 
  • My man, Kaladin sweeps everytime to save the day. Each time these Fused find the nodes, he jumps in to destroy it so that they can't be corrupted. I LOOOOOOVE YOU KALADIN! 
  • NAVANI MAKING FABRIALS and Dabbid delivering it!!!!! 
  • Sanderson's constantly punching Kaladin in face. Wonder if he wanted that all along. 
  • Kaladin lost in storm...Dalinar making contact with him...that was wonderful. I do feel there is a connection between storms and Kaladin for some reason because none of the Windrunner's mentioned this striking connection ever before even in their POVs. 

Part 4 was well, my least favorite of the whole book. There could've been a lot of thing spared from Lasting Integrity arc because even before half of our book, we had to ignore majority of the crew to go back and just focus on Shallan and Adolin and I swear, even if they are married, it makes me cringe seeing them together. There is something about Sanderson that just...never resonates with any romantic arc. Also, Shallan's secret was completely unappealing to me. That thing got birthed in this book and ended in this book as if BS was forced to have a personality absorbed and that was needed. I didn't see Kelek part coming and MAYA WAS THE MVP of Lasting Integrity arc! "WE CHOSE!"

Spoiler

YOU CANNOT HAVE MY SACRIFICE!!!! WHOOOOO way to go MAYA!

Navani's plot was headlining in this part but I swear, you don't need to repeat few lines about frequency and axons over the pages. We get what we are seeing, we get there is matter-anti matter annihilation, we know light-energy correspondence with frequency and the tones of Roshar felt a way off for Navani who for half-decade of her life has never given damn about tones and rhythms. But her inventions were great. More interesting was her own plan backfiring. 

Bridge Four here were amazing. It was good to get perspectives from Rlain and Dabbid, the latter was someone who surprised me but that's Sanderson's beauty. It shows how tight-knit they are together. Venli's helping to save Kaladin's life against Lirin's wishes was also great. And the Kaladin chapter with Wit was amazing. I wasn't expecting Kaladin and Wit to interact again but as usual, Wit swooped down into Braize with a great story and empowered Kaladin. IIRC, this is third time when Wit told a story to Kaladin, more than any other character and I wonder if its a setup for something else. The Dog And the Dragon story was wonderful. &^%$ Odium for torturing Kaladin during his worst states. Teft's POV was sweet and his interaction with Phendorana was super funny.  

Did I mention Kaladin has become a reverence figure by now? Everyone's painting shash glyph on their heads to support him. Plus, you get tonnes of, like tonnes of fanclubbing Kaladin parts in this section. And even the whole book. 

Part 5

BEST PART OF THE BOOK!

Spoiler
  • Jasnah completely fell out of her character. Her impassionate speech that hope is irrational in a coalition of monarchs and generals was a sour move to threaten her rule further. There was no need for her to even object and ignore Urithiru completely where her mother is trapped. This is the same Jasnah who barged into battleground without having any training in Shardblade stances. And well, clearly she defeats them all cuz...Jasnah. 
  • Dalinar believing Kaladin to protect Urithiru was sweet. It seems that he's accepting Kaladin can never fall. 
  • Kaladin going to confront Pursuer with a huge crowd of singer and humans watching and having such high stakes of saving Radiants, Teft and Lift helping, Venli, Rlain and Dabbid going another way to help while Kaladin can distract the Pursuer- my heart was echoing for the Sanderlanch. 
  • OH MY GOD- KALADIN VS PURSUER deserves a whole separate appreciation threat. Can we please applaud how wonderfully skilled Kaladin is despite having only Adhesion was his surge? 
  • HOLY HECK, KALADIN's taunting and quoting and scaring Pursuer just by his words just made my heart SOAR HIGHER LIKE FREAKING METEOR SHOWER. AND when he said, "You cannot defeat me. I am eternal. I am the storm.' - I was like, damn damn damn damn that was superb! 
  • Moash paralyzing Lift! Moash betting with Reboniel for Kaladin and Navani! Reboniel gave him anti-voidlight dagger. 
  • Moash and Teft fighting....uh god...I don't like this. 
  • WHAT?!!!!!! Moash killed Phendorana! 
  • .........Moash killed Teft.....that gutted me. Truly it gutted me. 
  • When Kaladin won with Pursuer, the people began chanting 'Stormblessed' for minutes with gloryspren swirling around them all. That moment made me tremble but Teft...
  • Moash dropped Teft's deadbody before Kaladin and....Kal froze. Moash dragged Lirin as insurance for Kal.
  • Navani trapped Reboniel in a painfabrial trap! 
  • Kaladin plunged into Darkness. Pursuer came back with a new body...Venli's prespective showed Leshwi trying to stop the bastard but seeing Kal down, Pursuer thought he could kill Kaladin.....

OH. MY. GOD....the hair on back of my neck and whole body just sprang up, terrified. 

The way Kaladin let out a bloodcurdling scream and just became whole new level of fighter despite being Teft dead and just losing humanity to battle Pursuer like wind, and then with his eyes glowing like yellowish-red colour scared me heck lot. And then the way he killed Pursuer by using Full-Lashing-Reverse Lashing combo, ripping his head off and then walking without looking back was badass but scary. And then he kills two Heavenly Ones taking away his father without blinking and then standing down and then...jumping down into highstorm. 

• Navani trying to get control of Sibling...is this the moment? 
  • Stormfather sensed Kaladin and appeared beside Dalinar, saying, 'Son of Tanavast has entered the storm one last time' and then Dalinar becoming storm again to find Kaladin plunging down into darkness....Syl unheard and clearly weeping to having had forgotten words....
  • A full on civil-ward between Singers and humans seeing Kaladin's front. Rlain and Venli work together to get people out of Urithiru. 
  • Moash comes to strike Navani but Reboniel saves her! 
  • Kaladin is still falling down on storm and when Syl cried for words.....Kaladin says he's not strong enough. Stormfather stops time and asks Kaladin who replies that Odium's influence is corrupting him and he must go down because he can't save anyone...and Dalinar then says that they need more time and then finally adheres Kaladin to Spiritual Realm. 

This part made me really emotional. Not nearly as Teft dying but this has a mode intimate kind of needles pinching down on skin seeing Kaladin and Tien having a soft, much needed conversation while Kaladin being suspended in frame of time over highstorm because...we all need just a bit of more time. We all do. And Tien says its alright, he is strong enough, Kal is good enough and he's always there for everyone. It doesn't matter if one cannot be saved because the enemy cannot take the most cherished moments away from them and then encourages Kal to become the man he's always been who always knew better for everyone despite his pain and depression. 

The next scene was naturally the most beautiful scene. 

The time freeze ends and Kaladin is dropping down in highstorm and then with renewed strength, he grabs Syl back into this realm and then whispers that he has always known the words. And then in his mind, we get Tien and Teft echoing him, powering him to say those words and Kaladin softly says his 4th Ideal surrounded by windspren. 

'I accept, Stormfather! I accept that there will be those I cannot protect!'

• Navani bonds with Sibling and slams 'Journey before Destination, you Bastard' in Moash's face! Take that. 
  • Kaladin gets his Shardplate when thousands of windspren Connect to him and then he does something strange against like he did during Oathbringer. He somehow managed to push back the freaking highstorm so that path downwards is stable and saves his father. I don't know how Kaladin did it but he freaking pushed a highstorm back again. 
  • Kaladin's slave bands heal finally! 
  • Venli tells Leshwi that she has spoken Knight Radiant's oath and Leshwi is overwhelmed with emotions and asks for an Honorspren name Riah....she's so emotional that she falls down on her knees saying that the spren have forgiven the singers finally. 
  • Kaladin comes back with Shardplate and uses it wildly to save people before Navani filters out voidlight from Tower and jump starts it. 

• Dalinar and co land near Ishar's camp and the crazy herald comes out to challenge Dalinar. We learn that Ishar has acutally recovered his Honorblade whose previous wielder was Szeth's father. And then Ishar and Windrunners clash but he easily overpowers them. And then Dalinar opens a perpendicularity to help Windrunnners but Ishar does something strange that draws it down and then Szeth uses Nightblood to crash into Ishar which leaves a freaking dent in that honorblade. And then finally, Szeth collapses the perpendicularity. 
  • Ishar then opens perpendicularity himself and a clear moment of lucity occures compelling Dalianr to think that the herald has more than it seems. 
  • The bizarre spren experiment thing facinated and disgusted me equally. 
  • Dalinar and Odium bet....to have a contest of champtions WITHIN TEN FREAKING DAYS? 
  • WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!

TARAVANGIAN KILLED RAYSE AND BECAME VESSEL OF ODIUM!!!! HOLY HECK DIDN'T SEEE THAT COMING BY ANY MEANS THAT IS SO SO SO BAD, AND CULTIVATION KNEW ABOUT IT! DAMN HER!

• Moash is blind. But he deserves worse. Oh, so worse that I'll ascend as Odium to torture him. 
  • Rlain bonds with an enlightened Truthwatcher spren! 
  • Venli and others discover Listeners including her mother and finally, her second Ideal is accepted by Cultivation. 
  • Taravangian doesn't want to lose Dalinar, Tower and Stormblessed as his predecessor and clearly is bound by oaths of Odium. 
  • Shallan breaks off with Ghostbloods for good and takes her deadeye crptic back. Sweet ending to her arc. 
  • WHAT THE ACTUALL HELL TAIDDAKAR IS KELSIER!!!!! LORD OF SCARS!
  • Dalinar is his own champion but needs to learn more about his powers. 
  • Kaladin to...mentally heal Ishar? He has to go to Shinovar with Szeth and recover the herald? Nice plot coming for book 5. 
  • Taravangian planning to...look beyond Roshar aka Cosmere...consider me wary. 

......Toadium stole Hoid's memory. Its official. I am so so so wary about our new Odium now. 

P.S- Kaladin was cosmically phenomenal in this book but we kinda know. Nothing wrong in knowing more. 

What to expect now for book 5? 

Honestly, I have no idea what's gonna happen but these speculations are what I can derive after reading: 

• Spoiler

• Part1/Part 2 will take place within 10 days, named 'Final Ten days' which will decide the current progression of war against Odium. 
    • Kaladin and Szeth will go to Shinovar to recover herald Ishar. We will finally get to know more about this strange and mysterious land, learn more about Szeth but I believe his flashbacks will remain limited and small just like Eshonai/Venli part. 
    • We will know about Szeth's father and his slavery to become Turthless. 
    • What about the honorblades that are still there? Will we know about Taln's honorblade? 
    • There is also an Unmade or two in Shinovar so I guess the first half of book will focus at Shinovar. This is the point to keep Adolin, Shallan, Navani and Singers behind and let them be explored later. 
    • How will Kaladin heal Ishar within ten days? 
    • Dalinar to know more about his powers for Contest of Champions. Who will be Odium's champion? Pls don't let it be Szeth. 
    • Shallan vs. Ghostbloods. 
    • Navani will invent more stuff. 
    • Reason for Recreance. 
    • BAM's importance. 
    • ....that's all I can think about. 

Edited by Ramona Tehradin

1 hour ago, Harkain said:

I actually missed the other set of Feruchemists. Oh boy that feast is one hell of a crowd. Just waiting for us to find out that apparently Cultivation was there as well in some form, along with Kelsier and Khriss haha.

Thinking on it tho it's actually a fairly decent possibility Khriss was there...

Kell appears to still be stuck on Scadrial, so he probably wasn’t there himself. His emissaries, avatar, followers, etc. probably were.

Khriss and Nazh were almost certainly there.

Cultivation is everywhere on Roshar to a degree, so she was definitely present.

11 hours ago, SturmOgre said:

Yeah, it seems like he's trying to get them to manifest physically. I wonder if those spren are properly dead, or if the experiments are the cause of those unaccounted-for deadeyes Adolin and company encountered in Shadesmar. 

As in, the Spren chilling outside of Lasting Integrity? I kinda lost track (and the interactive map doesn't have Lasting Integrity in it) of whether this was in the same place as Dalinar and co. were attacking in the real world, but if it is that'd make a lot of sense! 

One thing that wasn't mentioned - Kal pretty much broke after Teft, and his eyes were glowing yellowy red, "almost like..." (clearly meant to be "like the Fused"). I'm pretty sure that's nothing, just that he was almost consumed and chose the 4th ideal instead, but do we think that could mean anything else at all? 

Ohh also Riah the Honorspren - I recognize that name and I've no idea why (though we know she's probably dead to the Recreance)

PS bloody Moash, dude... Kal should have popped in and killed him quickly, then gone to do his 

Edited by Hulaine

41 minutes ago, Mistborn Surgebinder said:

I'm at the end of part 1. I don't need spoilers. I just want to know... Are there actually going to be flashbacks? It seems odd to me that there haven't been any. For a "venli/eshonai" book, there seems to be oddly little venli. 

Seems far more like navanis book at this point. 

They start in part three for both sisters. Navani remains perhaps the most viewed character though, I think that again it is in part 3-4 when we see more Venli

Edited by Alcatur

49 minutes ago, Mistborn Surgebinder said:

I'm at the end of part 1. I don't need spoilers. I just want to know... Are there actually going to be flashbacks? It seems odd to me that there haven't been any. For a "venli/eshonai" book, there seems to be oddly little venli. 

Seems far more like navanis book at this point. 

You will have Venli/Eshonai flashback from part 3.

Spoiler

But yes, this book is centered around a primary group of characters, Kaladin-Navani-Venli 

28 minutes ago, Hulaine said:

As in, the Spren chilling outside of Lasting Integrity? I kinda lost track (and the interactive map doesn't have Lasting Integrity in it) of whether this was in the same place as Dalinar and co. were attacking in the real world, but if it is that'd make a lot of sense! 

They do seem to be lining up well with each other on the maps. Ishar's army does seem to be just north of Lasting Integrity if you line up the maps

3 hours ago, Shakakakakaka said:

They do seem to be lining up well with each other on the maps. Ishar's army does seem to be just north of Lasting Integrity if you line up the maps

Adolin notes as they are approaching Lasting Integrity that they are near Tukar's reflection in Shadesmar. I didn't spot the connection to the mass of deadeyes, though.

Oh boy!

Did Rock just become our newest worldhopper?!?

Spoiler

"Skar and Drehy had relayed the news after returning tot he Shattered Plains--it seemed Kaladin wouldn't be seeing Rock again.

Executed/exiled by being thrown into a Shardpool, perhaps?

And what's up the red/yellow light in Kaladin's eyes?

Spoiler

"His eyes were glowing like a Radiant's, his face a mask of pain and anguish, but the eyes...she swore the light had a yellowish-red cast to it. Like...like..."

Is he using voidlight/lifelight? Is this implying that he is Connected to Honor, Odium, and Cultivation? 

RIP Wit's memories. But wait! A certain ancient flute has made a reappearance! Could this somehow be used to restore Wit's memories?

And I've been waiting and waiting for the carved horse to reappear, I really loved that detail. 

For a minute, I thought I wasn't going to end up liking RoW. I actually took a break at the end of part 4, which I've never done with a Stormlight book, but Brandon pulled off an amazing conclusion that was satisfying. Overall, I agree with some of the challenges reviewers had mentioned. I struggled to be really invested in the new Singer characters; in fact, I'm not sure Venli contributed to the story at all, other than as an observer as someone already mentioned. I didn't much care about the flashbacks (except the beautiful scene with Eshonai/Stormfather at the end, really well done).

At the same time, the the other arcs felt rushed, almost trivialized. The campaign in Emul was literally just to keep Dalinar out of the picture and didn't serve an overall purpose. I enjoyed Adolin's story, but it felt so rushed that the big reveal didn't quite land for me. And I personally struggle with these types of isolation plots. My favorite aspects of a story are always character interactions and seeing them work together to solve problems, so I don't enjoy seeing characters isolated and unable to work together as much. I think it was written quite well, just not my thing.

On the other hand, there were some moments of truly great writing. I was impressed that I could feel the difference in Pattern's relationship with The Three, and even the subtle distance he put between Shallan/Pattern to create the tension and eventual question about Pattern's loyalty.

The conclusion to Kaladin's arc was amazing. (And could one of the amazing artists of the fandom please create the scene of Kaladin rescuing Lirin? Pretty, pretty, pretty please?Absolutely gorgeous imagery.) The Dog and Dragon story was delightful. (And was Kaladin in Braize??? Poor guy.)

TL;DR: I can't say I loved every aspect of RoW, but it sure was a wild ride!

Edited by IntentAwesome

Really enjoyed it, but the triple-whammy of Taravangian not only not dying as he deserved, but ascending as Odium, making it abundantly clear that Cultivation made a huge mistake, followed by the Wit epilogue was a gut punch that left me with a real downer taste in my mouth.  Really wish it had ended on a better note.

Good book otherwise!  Real page turner.  Took me around 9 hours, in part because when I got to the trial scenes I went back and revisited the entire run up to it because it had been long enough since I'd seen them that I thought I'd somehow missed some stuff mid-book.

In no particular order:

1. Larkin/Lanceryn can talk?  That will make Rysn's life even more interesting.  Of all the things I thought I might get in this book, Chiri-Chiri's viewpoint, no matter how brief, wasn't one of them.
  2. Holy Shard Names Batman! Er...Bat-Sazed? Sazed-Man? BatHarmony? (ok I'll stop)
  3. Storm Moash.
  4. I'd quietly wondered if the messages to Navani about spren were the Sibling.  Yay, Sibling.
  5. The existential dread of the Sibling combined with the weakening of Stormlight related powers was quite the horror element.
  6. Kaladin gets so painful to read for me at times.  I've not been dark enough to actually jump/pull the trigger/use a knife, but I spent a lot of nights thinking about it when I was younger.
  7. When your parshman/Parshendi/listener whatever we call Rlain is now is a better defender of who you are than your dad...
  8. Thank you that Lirin came around some at the end. Huzzah for Hesina. That sounds like a celebration or holiday.
  9. Wild use of Plate, Kal.  Unexpected, creative and effective.
  10. Restares as Kelek, eh?  Didn't see that coming.
  11. Nor Thaidaikar as maybe Kelsier.
  12. Storm Moash.
  13. Maya speaks!  And confirms a suspicion a lot of us had - that the Radiants had the agreement of their spren for the Recreance.
  14. Given the epigraph about releasing Ba Ado Mishram and some other stuff in the book, I'm wondering if to fully revive Maya would require the release of BAM as it really seems that had some far more reaching effects than -just- whatever it did to the parshmen.
  15. Ishar unbound and insane is scary stuff.  That he could reset the Oathpact is just unreal to me.  And I believe he can do it, I don't think that was a delusion.  I don't think that was delusion.  Bondsmith might be the greatest and furthest reaching scope of power available to the non-Ascended.  It's almost like the role itself somehow encompasses a Dawnshard, though I don't know how that's possible.
  16. Eshonai's last ride made me weep.
  17. Navani...so complicated. Inventive, naive, compassionate, destructive, stubborn, powerful, and ultimately merciful.  Finding the Rhythms, discovering/creating anti-investiture, bonding the Sibling (which I thought was going to happen but not like it did...) and so on.  Wonderful story for her.
  18. Raboniel ...  yeesh.  So horrible. So manipulative.  And yet there was a seed of something genuine in there, enough that she fought Moash. How does Brandon do this?
  19. Dalinar coaxing Stormfather to stretching out Kaladin's jump to save him and THEN forging the Connection he needed was incredible.
  20. Spren can be for real killed now.  That's horrifying.  The corpse scene gave me chills.
  21. Storm Moash.
  22. Teft...sadness. He got a good death, a strong death....but still sadness
  23. See ya, Lezian.  That ending was mostly perfect, I thought.
  24. Rhythm of War being co-written by Navani and Raboniel was quite the twist.
  25. Shallan having two Cryptics was something that clicked for me right before you see it happen in the book.
  26. The place Shallan went to when she confirmed Pattern had been lying...goodness that was bad.  As bad in its own way as Kaladin's fight.
  27. The Honorspren of Lasting Integrity remind me of nothing so much as a self-righteous group of believers (whatever their stripe) they will demonize, distort, destroy and demean anything that isn't exactly what they expect it to be with one exception - they responded to Maya, generally.  How awesome is Maya, anyway?
  28. Kaladin really is legendary.  Not just to his people, to his enemies.  Crippling depression, unable to use Stormlight as it went on, broke Lezian, destroyed the Sibling fabrials, just...freaking wow.  I've never seen someone written so broken and yet so strong.  And the number of people wearing the glyph at the end, because Kaladin still gets up...goose bumps.
  29. Lift makes Cultivation/Lifelight...of course...
  30. And for a final time - STORM MOASH

There's more, so much more, but I have to get back to work.

So is the new godmetal called taravangium or taravangianium

Of course Kelsier would pick a dramatic name like Thaidakar

I think the Hoid and Design banter was my favorite part of the book. Its nice to see him taking a more involved role in things.

Edited by lordofsoup

2 hours ago, Jalizarin TW said:

on page 468, does anyone think the head scholar Kristir mentioned was Khriss? just going off the similar name

I lean coincidence personally. I think the only description of Kristir is short and rosy-cheeked, which isn't a strong giveaway for Khriss. (mistborn spoilers)

Spoiler

The dialogue also isn't a giveaway compared to her appearances in wax and wayne 

Of course Khriss could have learned some disguises...

Edited by Zedseayou

Wow. Just finished reading the book for the first time... It was everything I'd hoped it'd be, and more.

Several things I'd expected or predicted even before the early RoW chapters were confirmed, if not entirely or exactly how:

• The Sibling going a-slumbering, Melishi's stunt with B-A-M and the zombifying of the Connected parsh, and the Recreance were all linked
  • Sibling = a super-spren blended of Honor and Cultivation
  • Navani bonding the Sibling, waking Urithiru
  • Formless = Childhood Shallan
    • The massively awful thing being suppressed was... Her killing her original Cryptic spren?
    • But one she could summon as a dead Shardblade (in ten heartbeats) before getting a Patternblade?
  • The nature of the Fourth Ideal of the Windrunners (many people had foreseen that one)
  • Rlain Goes Radiant
  • Adolin further "revives" Maya but not to full life, nor forming Nahel Bond (yet)
  • Moash kills someone Core Bridge Four, feels nothing (Odium), but then feels, rejects, dodges that pain
    • Skar and Drehy went as an "honor escort" to Rock
    • Sigzil, Leyten, Lyn, Renarin
    • Where were Lopen and Huio? They were at Urithiru and so fell unconscious, right?

Things Finally Explained More Clearly:

• Cultivationlight = "Lifelight"
  • Lift was twiddled to convert food into this to fuel her Surgebinding
  • Jezrien was "sucked into" the gem but is not trapped like a spren, he just plain died
    • Then again, this is from Kelek and "do not trust anything a Herald says, ever"

Unexpected plot twists:

• Anti-Voidlight and now Anti-Stormlight are Things
  • The Rhythm of War is a blending of Honor and Odium (nice touch)
    • What about Cultivation and Odium, then?
    • Is there a Triad Chord?
  • Ishar also has his Blade back and is an Unchecked, Unhinged, and Very Experienced Bondsmith
    • He can "bond" people to the earth to "ground out" their Investiture?
    • He can steal a spren bond?
    • And the Shin are under the control of the Unmade?
      • "Do not trust anything a Herald says, ever" (This should be acronymed, DNTAAHSE)
  • In fact, Mraize hinted that ALL of the Honorblades are now dispersed
  • "Deadeye" spren were only A Thing since the Recreance?!
    • But surely Radiants broke their oaths before then...
    • ...In fact, isn't there an epigraph in WoR about how a Surgebinder was executed as a criminal?
      • Saying that "not all spren are as discerning as honorspren" or something?
  • I did NOT, repeat NOT expect Odium to so casually swap out from Rayse to a new Vessel through SA4
    • Nor Taravangian picking it up because he was in a Very Passionate State of Mind due to Cultivation's twiddle

Mysteries To Ponder:

• Is Taravangian holding Odium... Actually scarier than a bully like Rayse?
    • He seems to have a similar agenda of ruling the Cosmere, but less ego-driven and much craftier
  • Just how was it that the Deepest Ones could still do the Cohesion thing to enter Urithiru?
    • It was key to getting Raboniel into the central pillar, but neither Masked Ones nor the Heavenly Ones could...?
    • They mentioned how "the ancient protections have not been maintained" and how "the ralkalest has fallen from the walls of the tunnel below", as if ancient Radiants had had to rely on aluminum walls to defend against this particular Fused Surge
    • But then, why were the Deepest Ones trapped in stone when Sibling came back to life and Navani un-reversed the polarity on the Voidlight Surgebinding Shield?
  • What the heck was the deal with Tezim's vivisection experiments on Radiant spren in the Physical Realm?
  • The second "Enlightened" Radiant spren we've seen is another mistspren. Two for two. Coincidence?
    • It's mentioned that intelligent spren have to accept Sja-Anat's transformation... Mistspren more open?
      • What should we call these "Rhythm of War" like Truthwatchers? Warwatchers?
    • And hey, how did she convince the Kholinar Oathgate spren then?
  • That "Horneater Clan" that is permanently in Shadesmar...
    • Is that some kind of exile or possibly, a promotion type of community that Rock is going to be part of?

And yes, I was deeply moved (maybe even cried...) over:

• Raboniel's immediate first use of anti-Voidlight... On her daughter
  • Mayalaran's "speech" to the honorspren
  • Teft's death scene
  • The SFTV (the Stormfather Channel) vision of Tien that helped Kaladin reach the Fourth Ideal
  • A dying Raboniel buying time for Navani, first to flee, and then to bond the Sibling (?!)

Edited by robardin

Gasps for air.  OK I just finished.  Dam that was a lot.  What were you thinking Cultivation!  HOW THE HELL DID YOU THINK THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?  Jasnah you are awesome as always.  That duel was perfect.  Jit is a no.  I don't care it is just so wrong on so many levels.  Teft stole the entire show.  Navani was a boss.  With the exception of Raboniel no one can hold candle to those two.  Finally we got some conclusion for Shallan, Adolin and Maya.  Leshwi was cool.  Ishar was a real wow.  Moash Moash! 

Edited by Karger

21 minutes ago, robardin said:
    • But one she could summon as a dead Shardblade (in ten heartbeats) before getting a Patternblade?

I don't think so, or she would have heard it screaming? Then again, the whole timeline of Testament, Pattern, and "what was Shallan in between" is still really confusing. It's like she was still part-Lightweaver.

• "Deadeye" spren were only A Thing since the Recreance?!
    • But surely Radiants broke their oaths before then...

Now that is genuinely weird. At first I thought it had something to do with Honor no longer being around-- like maybe he could fix them or something?-- but he died after the Recreance, didn't he? Maybe he lost the hypothetical fixer ability as he was dying?

3 hours ago, lordofsoup said:

So is the new godmetal called taravangium or taravangianium

Of course Kelsier would pick a dramatic name like Thaidakar

I think the Hoid and Design banter was my favorite part of the book. Its nice to see him taking a more involved role in things.

I suspect Thaidakar is a mispronunciation/ actual Scadrian word for Survivor. So he may just be using his old moniker.

Also, it’s still Raysium. Like Atium and Lerasium retain their names. Harmony was an entirely new shard, so has a different metal.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613