Rhythm of War Full Book Reactions

Chaos

On 11/17/2020 at 1:45 AM, Eternal Khol said:

Tbh. i read the epilogue before these chapters and was very confused by what went down in it, but it all makes sense now

Alcatraz would be disappointed

Edited by EggArdent

I am once more brought out of a long hiatus of these forums by a new book in the series.

As with most of the recent Stormlight books - it just felt like there was way. too. much. text. I can't help but feel as if this book could have been three hundred or four hundred pages and been so much more satisfying of a read. I'm also, naturally, frustrated by how straight the book is. 

And occasionally, some of the more ham-fisted descriptions had me rolling my eyes. Sanderson has a habit of making the subtext text quite often.

However, I was very excited by the Thaidakar = probably Kelsier reveal, and I hope to hear more of that soon. 

Leshwi is love. Love this Fused, want to see more of her.

In overall terms, the first half of the book was bearable in pacing, and my wish of "oh please let the tower get captured at the midpoint" was fulfilled. Though it could have been done even earlier, in my opinion. As has become a thing, the Shadesmar section dragged out terribly, and I found the Formless/Shallan thing a bit melodramatic. The dragged out fight scenes also bothered me a little - especially in Kaladin's case. He is much more enjoyable as a character when you are not constantly shown just how incredible he is in combat (Moash basically hyping him up every chance he gets doesn't help), in my opinion, and actually shown to just interact. Stormlight Archives is a victim of its own size here, because the main cast is enjoyable, but split apart like this, and with so many viewpoints spread out, I can't help but feel as if I'd rather just have them close by.

What happened to Hoid, or Wit, is interesting. Some sort of limbo? 

Edited by Vissy

20 minutes ago, Vissy said:

I am once more brought out of a long hiatus of these forums by a new book in the series.

As with most of the recent Stormlight books - it just felt like there was way. too. much. text. I can't help but feel as if this book could have been three hundred or four hundred words and been so much more satisfying of a read. I'm also, naturally, frustrated by how straight the book is. 

And occasionally, some of the more ham-fisted descriptions had me rolling my eyes. Sanderson has a habit of making the subtext text quite often.

However, I was very excited by the Thaidakar = probably Kelsier reveal, and I hope to hear more of that soon. 

In overall terms, the first half of the book was bearable in pacing, and my wish of "oh please let the tower get captured at the midpoint" was fulfilled. Though it could have been done even earlier, in my opinion. As has become a thing, the Shadesmar section dragged out terribly, and I found the Formless/Shallan thing a bit melodramatic. The dragged out fight scenes also bothered me a little - especially in Kaladin's case. He is much more enjoyable as a character when you are not constantly shown just how incredible he is in combat (Moash basically hyping him up every chance he gets doesn't help), in my opinion, and actually shown to just interact. Stormlight Archives is a victim of its own size here, because the main cast is enjoyable, but split apart like this, and with so many viewpoints spread out, I can't help but feel as if I'd rather just have them close by.

What happened to Hoid, or Wit, is interesting. Some sort of limbo? 

While I agree the book was too long, I don't think he really could have told the story in "three hundred or four hundred words" to be honest...

14 minutes ago, Lupis said:

While I agree the book was too long, I don't think he really could have told the story in "three hundred or four hundred words" to be honest...

It's easier to write than to edit... I agree the Shadesmar Expedition felt off-paced, that the Formless bit was a bit melodramatic, and that Kaladin Fight Scenes start to blend into each other a bit.

But, I would rebut that we did need to see

1) Kaladin v. Leshwi, with a sense of them already having a history of mutual dueling respect

2) Kaladin v. Lezian, because it's a climactic type thing, and of course Lezian's M.O. would have him go after Kaladin, with unfortunate results (for him)

3) Kaladin nearly falling to Odium (the red/yellow eyes bit when he goes HAM) ... which Moash predicted might happen if Lezian messed with him before he fully fell, so that is really on the Pursuer

4) Kaladin going nutso in that state is probably supposed to indicate something about what the red/yellow eyes thing was about...

5) ...except for the recurring exhibition of unusual (beyond Stormlight) speed from Kaladin, which we have RAFO WoBs about, so it's not just "oh, how can I build up Kaladin even further as Super Duper Man", it's actually a planned element of his character.

...Well, clearly planned to be Super Duper Man. But still, it's not Sanderson being forced to constantly one-up his own history with Kaladin to continue to make him seem awesome to the reader.

(And no, much as I enjoy his fiction, I don't mean to put Sanderson on a pedestal with W. A. Mozart in the Western Canon... But "too many words", or "too many notes", is just such an easy thing to say!)

Edited by robardin

14 minutes ago, robardin said:

It's easier to write than to edit... I agree the Shadesmar Expedition felt off-paced, that the Formless bit was a bit melodramatic, and that Kaladin Fight Scenes start to blend into each other a bit.

But, I would rebut that we did need to see

1) Kaladin v. Leshwi, with a sense of them already having a history of mutual dueling respect

2) Kaladin v. Lezian, because it's a climactic type thing, and of course Lezian's M.O. would have him go after Kaladin, with unfortunate results (for him)

3) Kaladin nearly falling to Odium (the red/yellow eyes bit when he goes HAM) ... which Moash predicted might happen if Lezian messed with him before he fully fell, so that is really on the Pursuer

4) Kaladin going nutso in that state is probably supposed to indicate something about what the red/yellow eyes thing was about...

5) ...except for the recurring exhibition of unusual (beyond Stormlight) speed from Kaladin, which we have RAFO WoBs about, so it's not just "oh, how can I build up Kaladin even further as Super Duper Man", it's actually a planned element of his character.

...Well, clearly planned to be Super Duper Man. But still, it's not Sanderson being forced to constantly one-up his own history with Kaladin to continue to make him seem awesome to the reader.

(And no, much as I enjoy his fiction, I don't mean to put Sanderson on a pedestal with W. A. Mozart in the Western Canon... But "too many words", or "too many notes", is just such an easy thing to say!)

I suspect you may have missed the point of my post, which was really just to alert the person I quoted as to what I believe was a mistake in what they actually said, compared to what I believe they intended to say. Which I'd guess was "pages" instead of "words", or 300-400 thousand words, as opposed to just 300-400 words.

2 minutes ago, Lupis said:

I suspect you may have missed the point of my post, which was really just to alert the person I quoted as to what I believe was a mistake in what they actually said, compared to what I believe they intended to say. Which I'd guess was "pages" instead of "words", or 300-400 thousand words, as opposed to just 300-400 words.

ahahaha, indeed. I had read it as suggesting to "remove 300-400 words", i.e., "could have been three our four hundred words [shorter]", which I see is not the actual quote

Stuff I really liked: 

1. The Pursuer is exactly the kind of physically powerful but Stupid Evil villain needed to show the good guys having to be smart to win while physically outmatched.  I actually really liked what a total failure elemental he was.   
  2. Adolin continues to be a fantastic character.  Laughed like a hyena when he was trying to be Kal's wingman and when he pointed out all the young noble ladies who desperately wanted Doctor Highmarshal Stormblessed to look at their oh-so-mysteriously-sore wrists or whatever.  Legit cried at the big scene with him and Maya at the trial.  
  3. My heart broke for Maya like 20 times.  Honestly I care more about her and Adolin than I do about Kaladin now.  
  4. Leshwi and Raboniel are very interesting.  Raboniel's motivations are excellent and I like how this doesn't make her less of a danger or a monster.  Dalinar parallels maybe, where she has spent so long as the bad guy that she can no longer really come back and knows it?  
  5. Leshwi in general is fascinating though I'm still not sure how I feel about a Fused who's probably becoming a protagonist.  
  6. TaravOdium is brilliant.  I like the foreshadowing that Rayse was breaking under the strain and starting to really make huge mistakes, too.  
  7. Kelsier is leading the Ghostbloods and trying to get ALL the investiture so that he can become the rainbow pirate Mistborn version of Hoid?  I am down with this.  I am especially down with Kelsier in a rainbow outfit with a bird on his shoulder and an eyepatch kicking butt.  That image is inherently entertaining.  
  8. I like that the characters' flaws continue to be explored, especially Dalinar's.  Even though he's trying he's still a mediocre father and a conservative leader.  

Stuff I was uncertain of: 

1. Moash.  Effective as a story element/plot device but I'm not sure his characterization is suuuuper consistent?  He had some red flags from pretty early on as a self-interested revengeaholic, but I think I liked him more as a mirror of Kaladin's dark side rather than a literally irredeemable asshole like we see here.  
  2. I want to see more on Navani and the Sibling's bond because I really don't want Navani to give up her passions for the military necessity of the Sibling bond.  
  3. Lirin.  I get what he's supposed to be but he comes off to me as a weak man and more narrow-minded than Dalinar or Kaladin, which is extremely frustrating.  
  4. I still don't connect with Jasnah well but I think that's because I haven't seen much of her POV.  

Stuff I didn't like: 

1. Pacing on some of Shallan's stuff was a bit slow.  
  2. It took me a bit to get used to the entry and rush of names and exposition.  I think I'd have liked to see more of the interim year of war.  

12 minutes ago, GroundPetrel said:

Stuff I really liked: 

1. The Pursuer is exactly the kind of physically powerful but Stupid Evil villain needed to show the good guys having to be smart to win while physically outmatched.  I actually really liked what a total failure elemental he was.   

I wasn't a fan of the Pursuer to be honest, and by the end of the book I was just thinking how on Roshar did he manage to kill any radiants that had sworn enough ideals to have their plate? Unless, of course, he was so inept he kept getting killed by novice radiants/squires/non radiants I guess, then going after those and ambushing them while they were in the privy just to enhance his reputation.

And on a similar note, the fused in general don't feel like they could have been much of a threat to the Radiants back in the day, considering how well the novice radiants and squires now have been dealing with them without access to any shardplate. Yes, I realise they could have avoided Radiants and just attacked the normal soldiers, where they would cause havoc, but Brandon seems to have been building them up as a threat to the Radiants themselves, and I'm just not seeing that.

Love the book and I appreciate long books they keep me wanting more every chapter. Brandon did a a good job of shocking me with his decisions. 

Relieved he didn't have kaladin save roshone from moash or have moash kidnap laral or kaladin get with laral.

I liked where he took Moash and curious on what will become of him now that he's blind.

Loved the story with Navani and Raboniel but shook my head when navani got the sibling. Honestly should have gone to Rlain Singers need a bondsmith to represent them and I wanted Rlain to have a bigger role.

Hopefully him and Renarin can stand up more. I was laughing and going crazy when Tav took out rayse and became odium. I was crazed and shocked on what happened to hoid never never thought Brandon would do hoid like that.

Having more pov from Jasnah and showing more of her prowess was good wasn't surprised but wasn't too keen on her and Hoid being a couple. 

I can see Kal and Lew getting together. "hey dad how did you and mom meet? Oh son I killed her a few times  and we constantly fought love is a crazy thing I tell ya."

Confused about Eshonai did Stormfather send her soul out into the cosmere and does that mean she may show up in the other books?

Edited by TousenShadowForged

On 1/1/2021 at 5:19 AM, Torero said:

Writing here because I care about the direction Brandon is taking. I think he has a "weak point"/penchant for the magic systems that are starting to get really out of control. As a former researcher who worked in quantum physics and gravitation and still very much in tech, I really would say that you cannot begin to compare quantum mechanics with--let's face it--pseudo-science--that this book is full of. Surely, we want to read a book on characters, the world, the mood, the beauty, the majesty, the heroism, the overcoming the hardship themes, which will resonate with many people right now as we speak.

Brandon, addressing you personally, you are an 'old' and wise soul, and you surprised and touched me personally in the WoK, and we love you for it. You have a chance to affect the world around us postively by your words. Now, how does this over-elaborate pseudo-science magic play into this, I am failing to see it. OK, 1/5 of the amount of time spent on it would have been enough, but really, this is way excessive, demanding a lot of attention and energy (and motivation) to delve into, surely reading Scientific American on drug design advancement or neuroscience would be a much better use of time.

Brandon, PLEASE, snap out of it, you are overloading the books with too much detail, pseudo periodic element tables, pseudo-chemistry, pseudo-quantum physics, can you please please please get back on track and write LITERATURE--as you entirely can--not pseudo-science?

I really enjoyed anti-light and the cosmere references.

And while it might be pseudo-science to us, in world that is how things work.

I believe Navani's break-through in using tones to manipulate Investiture will lead to being able to export Investiture around the Cosmere.

And my guess is that the Challenge will occur midway through Book 5 and it will have a very bad outcome. Book 5 will end on some type of victory, but one with a cost that has Cosmere-wide repercussions. And the series is probably gearing up for an all out cosmic crossover in Books 6 through 10. This will escalate beyond Roshar. I don't see how the stakes could get bigger in Books 6 through 10 otherwise.

Edited by Art

oh MAN do I have a lot to say. I'll start with stuff I didn't like, because there's a lot less of it, honestly.

1. The Formless reveal felt like it could've been pulled off better. It was really freaky when Formless showed up, but they were foreshadowed for the whole book and then was wiped out like almost instantly by Veil and Radiant. It was good, I just feel like it might've been a bit rushed. 
  2. The way they brought Ishar into the mix, especially after Dalinar barely did anything of note for the rest of the book, felt like it could've been better as well. Like, I feel like it was paced the way it was just so that everyone could have a "boss fight" at around the same time. Again, I DID like the stuff Ishar did, like "oh lol I'll just take your bond with the Stormfather" what the heck man AND THE SPREN BODIES YIKES
  3. Wit/Jasnah... I don't despise it, but I really did like them better when I thought they were just partners in crime or whatever. Maybe I'll warm up to it when I get more than like one scene lol

ok now for the stuff I do like which is like everything, be warned

1. The character development all around was spectacular, honestly. 
    1. Adolin's whole arc was so clean. Everything he did had me cheering lol, like when he and Maya took on those guys who were assaulting Notum? Awesome. When he went to cheer up Kaladin? Awesome. When he stood up for Maya like, all the time? Awesome. The trial? YES! Honor is not dead so long as he lives in the hearts of men! We chose! (I guess that's Maya, not Adolin, but Adolin did give her strength or something.) His interactions with Shallan and her alter egos? Adorable and perfect. The fallout of Dalinar's Oathbringer, and the whole "I love you but like I'm so mad?" Realistic and awesome. I loved this whole book for Adolin. What a legend.
    2. Kaladin? Okay, his depression constantly wearing him down wore on me a little... but isn't that the point? Depression (not that I would know, so lmk if I'm wrong or insensitive or something) doesn't sound like something that just... you know, goes away, and it's just painful to see Kaladin being beaten into the ground in this book. Which, of course, makes the part where he gets up and overcomes it SO GOOD. On that note, the Dog and the Dragon was spectacular. 
    3. I already said a little about Shallan up there in the Formless stuff, but also it's so good to see her getting better! I'll miss Veil, but I look forward to seeing who she becomes in the future. Not much else from me on this
    4. Navani. Easily the highlight of this book imo. "I'm not a scholar" yeah, my FOOT. She is such a great character, and absolutely is a scholar. Seeing her deal with her self-hatred throughout the whole process, from when she first got detained to when she realized she helped the enemy to when she realized she betrayed the Sibling's trust... All so painful. It hurt to see her just deny herself all the time... And okay, the "you are not worthy" was such a kick in the teeth. But she IS worthy, and she realizes it by the end! I'm so excited to see her and the Sibling in the future.
      1. on this note Raboniel is great, I wish she lived, and I look forward to hopefully seeing her in Herald flashbacks
    5. It was great to see Venli struggling with herself and the whole "these words are not accepted." Like, yeah, just cause you know what the words are doesn't mean it counts as an oath, buddy. When she actually puts herself on the line and dedicates herself to seeking freedom... That was good. Good payoff.
      1. Also Leshwi's reaction to seeing that she's a Radiant is so sweet???
  2. The Cosmere connections, man! When I saw "Nalathis, Tal Dain, and Scadarial" I laughed so hard. Also the seon!!! Sel time!!! Not to mention... you know, Thaidakar. What a gamer. Kelsier is probably gonna end up starting a war against himself with all the different pies he has his darn fingers in. Also the white sand, the aviars, and stuff... just lots of good stuff here yum yum
  3. Four more shards, lol. Mercy is super intriguing (a third shard in Threnody's conflict???), and Invention... man. I am SO INTERESTED in Invention. Whimsy is terrifying as a concept, and Valor sounds cool, I guess, but not as cool as the rest.
  4. TARAVANGIAN. OKAY BUDDY. The part where he debates philosophy with Dalinar? Wonderful. The part where Szeth is just like "yeah he's a SNAKE?" I loved that. The part where "dumb" Taravangian baits Odium into showing him the future and the effect Renarin has on Odium's future sight? Heck yes! The part where he KILLS RAYSE? Literally my favorite part in the book. What a legend. Cultivation, I simultaneously underestimated you and overestimated you.
  5. Wit, what the HECK happened in that epilogue? I'm halfway between astounded and terrified. I don't know if Wit was a big brained misdirection master or if he just got played, lol. Either way... it was wonderfully unsettling.

What a good book. I'm so hyped for #5.

On 11/16/2020 at 10:20 PM, Parallax said:

What is the scene Brandon said he had been planning for a long time and we would know it when we read it? (I won't have the book until tomorrow and I don't mind  spoilers). 

The scene Brandon has been waiting to write is actually the dragon and the dog story.

On 1/4/2021 at 7:01 AM, Torero said:

Is it like officially confirmed?

I'm noticing one thing that the Eiree were kind of following the same pattern of taking investiture elsewhere to give themselves a leg up in the fight for shards.

Yes Kelsier is officially confirmed in his little story he is called the scared one or whoever they said Thaidakar is in Rythm of war. We also know that hoid mopped the floor with Kelsier. Last but not least Brandon Kelsier did not found the ghostbloods but if he joined in a few weeks he would be the new Thaidakar.

30 minutes ago, Adolinalsium said:

The scene Brandon has been waiting to write is actually the dragon and the dog story.

It's not that one, although that turned out to be his favorite chapter of the book. The scene he was waiting to write was the jump from the Tower:

Brandon Sanderson

[...]

Part Five

Favorite chapters in Part Five: a sequence that starts in 105 and ends in 110. This is actually a central sequence from my very early outlines, which I’ve mentioned I’ve been waiting over a decade now to share with you all.

[...]

Miscellaneous 2020 (Nov. 17, 2020)

Okay, I finished the book a week or two ago and I've gotten most of my thoughts together, in no particular order.

First of all, I read this without having read Dawnshard, and was confused at a couple points. Those were rectified when I read it after. I had wanted to see if the novellas could be skipped, because I hadn't enjoyed Edgedancer and couldn't even remember who Rysn was, but it makes a few things a little awkward, so I won't try that again. I still felt like the characters had figured a lot out in between books, which hadn't been stated (Ba-Ado-Mishram and the False Desolation, etc).

Part one did a decent job of introducing how things had changed, although I have no idea how many of the Windrunners were new characters and how many were there in previous books, because I've officially given up on keeping track. I also appreciate Kaladin's failed romance being between books, because both romance plots and Kaladin's feelings bore me. Speaking of Kaladin's feelings, I actually liked him in this book, as opposed to just tolerating him. Normally I find all the mental issues in the series a bit much, but seeing him set up a real mental health service was very satisfying and I hope that continues. I also liked seeing him constantly outwit the Pursuer, although the Pursuer himself didn't feel like a great villain to me, more of an example of how mad the Fused are. Seeing as Leshwi's whole thing in this book was just watching Raboniel, and Raboniel herself was weird, this book felt a bit odd in terms of villains. I was hoping for more Unmade. Kaladin's plot with going to find each node and break it in time felt a bit repetitive too, and a bit like a video game. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I find Sanderson's magic, along with related plots, has that feeling sometimes.

Shallan was interesting, but not particularly surprising. Ialai is dead now, but I've felt like all the Sadeas-related people have just died without much resolution, so I don't have much of a response to that. Watching Shallan develop another personality and figure out that she had killed the deadeye Cryptic was, like I said, interesting but predictable. I was glad to see her have a breakthrough and turn on the Ghostbloods, and I'll save my thoughts on Kelsier potentially being Thaidakar for the end. Very happy to see her coming to terms with Veil not being real.

Adolin was satisfying. I've always liked a character who's just generally a good guy and doesn't have any major issues, although I still haven't given him a pass for killing Sadeas. I had hoped to see more of Shadesmar, and when we had an entire section without him and Shallan I was in a lot of suspense. Also, seeing where they were, I had just assumed they would finish up, come out in Tukar, and help Dalinar, so good on Sanderson for subverting expectations there. Maya was excellent in the trial, although I still don't want Adolin to be another Radiant.

Speaking of new Kholin Radiants, Navani's plot was interesting. I loved Raboniel as a villain, but thought it was hard to believe that Navani would have trusted and underestimated her so much. Also, and this is probably an unpopular opinion here, I didn't care that much about the science. It's interesting but not that interesting, and I've never been as into dissecting exactly how magic works and gaming the system the way Sanderson likes to do it, so I felt that bit dragged on. Her bonding the Sibling was interesting since it was mainly self-preservation for both of them, and that should be something to watch.

As far as Dalinar and Jasnah are concerned, that was probably the plotline that least interested me, but I don't actually find much fault with it. I liked seeing Jasnah acting like she suddenly had to prove herself, and I always enjoy whatever Dalinar does, although I thought it was a bit silly when he was yelling at the Stormfather for being a storm. Dalinar going to meet with Ishar was great, and the dead spren were incredibly creepy (and I'm only just now realising that if Adolin hadn't stepped in, there would be one more honorspren in that mix). Wit and Jasnah's relationship surprised me, and I thought the scene made Wit look surprisingly dumb. Also sure, I guess people like representation, but of all the characters, it's the cold, logical one who doesn't care about people's feelings who ends up being asexual? That seemed like a bit of a stereotype, as much as I love Jasnah.

Taravangian becoming Odium was so sudden that I had to reread the scene. That was the one plot development that really surprised me. I'll find out how I feel about that in the next book.

Moash sucks.

Finally, Cosmere stuff as a whole. I didn't expect to find out four new Shards in one book, and Valor surprised me most of all of them. That was really interesting. But it's starting to feel like you need to have read other books to know what's going on in Stormlight, and I don't like that. I'm not the type to notice people from other planets or books, although I have read most of his other books. Kelsier being Thaidakar, which seems to be the case, really bugs me for that reason. I'm also a bit tired of him showing up anyway, but that's just me wanting people to stay dead. Also, Wit casually revealed that dragons existed, and that was a big surprise to me as well. Not part of the complaint, just something that threw me.

I just finished! And then read through the forums for about 3 hours combing for what I messed. Loved it! Not as much as OB but perhaps a little more than WoR.

my reaction in three parts, all have spoilers. Firstly my thoughts on a bunch of it, then my questions (please help me...) and then a big list of all the reveals I think there are. 

1. All my thoughts:

Spoiler

Overall thoughts:

• I'd love a cosmere: what if? Graphic novel series, exploring Dalinar as odium's champion and shallan as an unhinged assassin, and even elhokar as a radiant king in alethkar
  • Still feels a little bit like every main character is becoming radiant
  • I really wasn't invested (no pun intended) in the Venli/Eshonai arc
  • If Moash gets redeemed I'll be annoyed but happy but annoyed but happy
  • Gosh parts 2-4 were slow, fabrial mechanics are a bit dull to read for me, like the advances of tech in mistborn - but blimey parts 1 & 5 are AMAZING!!!
  • I need a list of worldhoppers I can refer to - if ever a series needed footnotes!! I love that Dalinar mentions these, it'd be so helpful. 
  • Cultivation is definitely not a goodie - she seems distantly manipulative and quite seriously powerful. I suspect there's a bigger game she's playing. 
  • WE CHOSE is up there with I AM UNITY
  • 10 days....
  • El sounds like an interesting character
  • Surprised we didn't learn more oaths in this book, the only reveal was kal's 4th ideal 
  • Hmmm... Jasnah and Wit... hmmmm...
  • Taravangian, Dalinar and Shallan are the best characters in this book for me. Maybe Dabbid as well, and Rlain, and maybe Navani... no... but yes...

2. My questions...

Spoiler

Questions I have, or bits I'm confused about since reading the forums...

• Who is Felt?
  • Axindweth (from Kelsier) shows up with Gavilar...?
  • What was the secret of the recreance?
  • There are 2 more shards whose names we don't know right? What are the aethers?
  • Does shardplate being made of non-nahel spren have any implication for recreance era shardplate?
  • Is there a cold going round? Not sure I saw all these references

3. All the reveals I found

Spoiler

All the reveals I captured...

• Kaladin swears forth ideal, that there are some he can't protect, learns Tien went willingly to battle to help others be brave. Shard plate is made of related lesser-spren (windscreen for wind runners). In speaking the ideal he leaves behind lots of baggage and the shash brands heal. 
  • Shallan killed her mother with a shard blade, from a soreness she had previously bonded but is now a deadeye. She also strangled her father. Revealing all of this causes the Veil persona to leave.
  • Shallan killed Ialai at the start of the book, or rather Radiant did it for her, with poison. 
  • Mraize has a communication box powered by an Aon, now on Shallan's possession.
  • The Ghostbloods are hunting the gemstone containing Bo Ado Mishram. 
  • Thaidakar, head of the ghost bloods, is called the lord of thorns and is a cognisant shade living on another world - almost confirming he is Kelsier. 
  • An Aviar shows up (red chicken), Mraize tries to kill it, Lift saves it and is now carrying it around
  • Restares is Kalak
  • Navani bonds the Sibling, becoming a bond smith and making Urithiru work. 
  • Navani discovers lots:
    • sibling light, made of storm light and life light
    • Anti void light, made by inverting void light - this can kill fused and spren - Raboniel ensures both sides get the power to perma-kill
    • All lights have respective tones, inverting these tones causes the gods to back away from them
    • Vibration greatly aids filling/draining storm light from spheres (previously known by Thaylens)
    • Gemstones can be paired and then act like opposite magnets, she uses this to make flying machines 
  • Taravangian manipulates Szeth into using Nightblood to kill Rayse, then takes up the shard of Odium for himself. Cultivation had assisted this, believing that Taravangian is clever enough to keep the shard in check. 
  • Szeth discovers Ishar is Shin and has recovered his honorblade, which had been held by his father (Noturo?) - he then leaves to go to Shinovar, kaladin goes with him in an attempt to redeem Ishar. 
  • Ishar is mad, but uses his bondsmith powers to rewrite spiritwebs, amending connection. When he opens his perpendicularity he loses his madness
  • Ishar was attempting to bring spren into the physical realm, he manages to keep an honourspren there for c. 15 mins before it dies. He has also been dissecting the bodies of a cultivationspren and a cryptic. 
  • Adolin travels to Lasting Integrity and agrees to stand trial to prove that modern men cannot be blamed for the sins of the recreance. During his trial Maya regain the ability to speak and announces that the spren chose the recreance too, they were not forced.  
  • Kalak oversees the trial - though his is quite mad. He confirms the daggers can capture heralds briefly but then they fade as they lose connection. 
  • Honour is not dead, he lives in the hearts of his children... navani is able to sing his song/tone after she becomes radiant
  • Moash kills Teft and becomes blind. 
  • Dabbid can talk but doesn't as he worries it will reveal his is not clever due to being strangled as a child - he reveals this and starts talk part way through the book
  • The listeners survived, protected by greatshells, Venli finds them at the end of the book, with several other singers who disobeyed Odium and they start to bond spren 
  • Rlain bonds a corrupted spren, after Renarin suggests it to Sja Anat - who appears to working against Odium
  • Lift powers her surges by Lifelight, cultivation's light, which she converts from food
  • Wit/Hoid has his name revealed to be Cephandrius. Odium/Taravangian disrupts the breaths he had been using to store memories (why not a copper mind...?) and, likely among other things, wipes the knowledge of what happened in their meeting at the end of the book. 
  • Cultivation's name is Koravellium, and she might be a dragon...
  • Dalinar can give people visions to help forge connection
  •  
  • Shard Names we know:
  • Cultivation
  • Odium
  • Honour
  • Ruin (now Harmony)
  • Preservation (now Harmony)
  • Invention (new)
  • Valour (new)
  • Whimsy (new)
  • Mercy (new)
  • Ambition
  • Autonomy
  • Endowment
  • Devotion
  • Dominion

And.... breathe....

Edited by Melson
Typo

4 hours ago, Melson said:

I just finished! And then read through the forums for about 3 hours combing for what I messed. Loved it! Not as much as OB but perhaps a little more than WoR.

my reaction in three parts, all have spoilers. Firstly my thoughts on a bunch of it, then my questions (please help me...) and then a big list of all the reveals I think there are. 

1. All my thoughts:

Hide contents

Overall thoughts:

• I'd love a cosmere: what if? Graphic novel series, exploring Dalinar as odium's champion and shallan as an unhinged assassin, and even elhokar as a radiant king in alethkar
  • Gosh parts 2-4 were slow, fabrial mechanics are a bit dull to read for me, like the advances of tech in mistborn - but blimey parts 1 & 5 are AMAZING!!!
  • I need a list of worldhoppers I can refer to - if ever a series needed footnotes!! I love that Dalinar mentions these, it'd be so helpful. 
  • Cultivation is definitely not a goodie - she seems distantly manipulative and quite seriously powerful. I suspect there's a bigger game she's playing. 
  • 10 days....
  • Surprised we didn't learn more oaths in this book, the only reveal was kal's 4th ideal 
  • Taravangian, Dalinar and Shallan are the best characters in this book for me. Maybe Dabbid as well, and Rlain, and maybe Navani... no... but yes...

2. My questions...

Hide contents

• Who is Felt?
  • There are 2 more shards whose names we don't know right? What are the aethers?
  • Does shardplate being made of non-nahel spren have any implication for recreance era shardplate?

Reveal hidden contents

• Kaladin swears forth ideal, that there are some he can't protect, learns Tien went willingly to battle to help others be brave. Shard plate is made of related lesser-spren (windscreen for wind runners). In speaking the ideal he leaves behind lots of baggage and the shash brands heal. 
  • Shallan killed her mother with a shard blade, from a soreness she had previously bonded but is now a deadeye. She also strangled her father. Revealing all of this causes the Veil persona to leave.
  • Shallan killed Ialai at the start of the book, or rather Radiant did it for her, with poison. 
  • Mraize has a communication box powered by an Aon, now on Shallan's possession.
  • Thaidakar, head of the ghost bloods, is called the lord of thorns and is a cognisant shade living on another world - almost confirming he is Kelsier. 
  • An Aviar shows up (red chicken), Mraize tries to kill it, Lift saves it and is now carrying it around
  • Restares is Kalak
  • Navani discovers lots:
    • Anti void light, made by inverting void light - this can kill fused and spren - Raboniel ensures both sides get the power to perma-kill
    • All lights have respective tones, inverting these tones causes the gods to back away from them
    • Vibration greatly aids filling/draining storm light from spheres (previously known by Thaylens)
    • Gemstones can be paired and then act like opposite magnets, she uses this to make flying machines 
  • Taravangian manipulates Szeth into using Nightblood to kill Rayse, then takes up the shard of Odium for himself. Cultivation had assisted this, believing that Taravangian is clever enough to keep the shard in check. 
  • Szeth discovers Ishar is Shin and has recovered his honorblade, which had been held by his father (Noturo?) - he then leaves to go to Shinovar, kaladin goes with him in an attempt to redeem Ishar. 
  • Ishar is mad, but uses his bondsmith powers to rewrite spiritwebs, amending connection. When he opens his perpendicularity he loses his madness
  • Ishar was attempting to bring spren into the physical realm, he manages to keep an honourspren there for c. 15 mins before it dies. He has also been dissecting the bodies of a cultivationspren and a cryptic. 
  • Adolin travels to Lasting Integrity and agrees to stand trial to prove that modern men cannot be blamed for the sins of the recreance. During his trial Maya regain the ability to speak and announces that the spren chose the recreance too, they were not forced.  
  • Kalak oversees the trial - though his is quite mad. He confirms the daggers can capture heralds briefly but then they fade as they lose connection. 
  • Honour is not dead, he lives in the hearts of his children... navani is able to sing his song/tone after she becomes radiant
  • Dabbid can talk but doesn't as he worries it will reveal his is not clever due to being strangled as a child - he reveals this and starts talk part way through the book
  • The listeners survived, protected by greatshells, Venli finds them at the end of the book, with several other singers who disobeyed Odium and they start to bond spren 
  • Rlain bonds a corrupted spren, after Renarin suggests it to Sja Anat - who appears to working against Odium
  • Lift powers her surges by Lifelight, cultivation's light, which she converts from food
  • Wit/Hoid has his name revealed to be Cephandrius. Odium/Taravangian disrupts the breaths he had been using to store memories (why not a copper mind...?) and, likely among other things, wipes the knowledge of what happened in their meeting at the end of the book. 
  •  
  • Shard Names we know:
  • Cultivation
  • Odium
  • Honour
  • Ruin (now Harmony)
  • Invention (new)
  • Valour (new)
  • Whimsy (new)
  • Mercy (new)
  • Ambition
  • Autonomy
  • Endowment
  • Devotion
  • Dominion

And.... breathe....

Felt is a Scadrian worldhopper from TFE and a spy for hire.

There is no indication that Axindweth has anything to do with Kelsier aside from originating on the same planet.

Aethers are from Aether of Night. If I’m recalling correctly, they were symbiotic organisms that bonded with humans to grant them powers. Powers varied depending on the Aether.

Yes, Demoux brought the Scadrian Common Cold to Roshar back in WoK.

9 hours ago, Melson said:

1. All my thoughts:

Reveal hidden contents

Overall thoughts:

• 10 days....

2. My questions...

Reveal hidden contents

• Who is Felt?

Reveal hidden contents

• Restares is Kalak
  • Navani discovers lots:
  •  
  • Shard Names we know:
  • Cultivation
  • Odium
  • Honour
  • Ruin (now Harmony)
  • Invention (new)
  • Valour (new)
  • Whimsy (new)
  • Mercy (new)
  • Ambition
  • Autonomy
  • Endowment
  • Devotion
  • Dominion

And.... breathe....

Why not a coppermind? Some minor mistborn spoilers below.

Spoiler

Because he isn't a feruchemist, he just has the powers of a mistborn after taking the Lerasium. To use feruchemy he'd need to spike himself with those powers, which he's not likely to do as it would leave him vulnerable to being controlled by the shards.

i finished RoW a while ago, but decided i'd post here now, so here's my reaction to chapter 113

me: reads chapter 113. okay, then reads next 2 chapters. then thinks, wait, and go's back to chapter 113. proceeds sit stunned, and then tries reading again, but can't, as my eye temporarily lost the ability to focus on words

I savored every chapter. Every moment with these characters was delicious.

So glad the 17th Shard exists and is so active to give me something to hold on to until the next Brandon book!

Some stand out moments for me besides the part 5 insanity:

- Wishing Kaladin would fight during the beginning of the occupation. Then when he did finally fight back and I realized how bad it was for him mentally... I felt so guilty.

- When Formless took over I seriously thought Shallan was a fake persona for a moment.

- I can't get the image of the cryptic in Ishar's spren experiment out of my mind. So disgusting and horrifying.

- Venli's scenes make me want to go make ceramics by hand.