Rhythm of War Full Book Reactions

Chaos

26 minutes ago, IndigoAjah said:

Isn't

Hide contents

Mr T becoming Odium part of the Endgame plan? I mean at his worst he's way cleverer than Rayse and I'm sure SA part 2  will see Odium either escape Roshar or come close to it, because something HUGE has to trigger that distinction between the first and second 5 books.

But Mr T was changed by Cultivation to explicitly contrast between Empathetic/Passionate and Intelligent. So when he's smart, he's least aligned with his Shard's Intent, and sometimes, when he's most aligned to the Shard, he's really, really illogical/stupid. This is a gamble, surely, to create a window in the future.

And when he's stupid, he's gonna be full of Passion/Compassion, and we know there's a Shard called Mercy...

What if this is a plan by Cultivation to SET Odium free of Roshar, which initially looks like she's sacrificing the Cosmere to protect herself and her world, but actually the aim is to neutralise the inherently dangerous Shard without destroying it (which seems dangerous) by making it possible for the Bearer to also pick up Mercy, and getting him to Mercy (leaving the Cosmere), creating a balance that inherently curtails Odium? That's the only way it can work in an actual benevolent God, right?  That's the safety check?

Anyway next book will have a heavy Shinovar focus so we will see a lot of Cultivation lore, I think.

Since Mercy may be the Shard of Euthanasia, that might not be a good idea...

2 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Since Mercy may be the Shard of Euthanasia, that might not be a good idea...

Well, that would make Ruin and Mercy a bad combo. 

You can't (not actually, though you could claim to) "Mercy -kill" someone and hate them. 

Of course whether it's a good idea or not (lots of Shard's ideas aren't!) doesn't mean it's not part of the plan.

11 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

While I wouldn’t be surprised if Shallan does visit Scadrial at some point, I doubt she’ll be able to completely eradicate the GBs. Mostly due to Thaidakar (probably) slated to be important in a series set around a century after SA.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Aren't you implicitly assuming Thaidakar is Kelsier though? I wrote up my thoughts before reading the discussion here and it didn't seem that obvious to me that Thaidakar is Kelsier - after all, why would Wit say "Deal with your own stupid planet" if that planet is Scadrial? But it's a decent theory.

But yes, I agree with your general thrust that just because Shallan might go to Ghostblood HQ to finish them off it doesn't necessarily mean she'll kill all their members. She'd probably be happy so long as any threats to Roshar and her family are removed. And whatever Thaidakar might actually be I suspect it'll be hard to confirm his death.

Edit: A lot of people seem to want to discuss the Thaidakar is Kelsier theory, but I don't think this is the best thread for it so I'm not going to discuss that further here. It has been suggested that Thaidakar has avatars so perhaps we could see such an avatar in SA5? That could help clarify some things. If not, it might be a long long time before we have any clarification.

Edited by kari-no-sugata

6 minutes ago, kari-no-sugata said:

Aren't you implicitly assuming Thaidakar is Kelsier though? I wrote up my thoughts before reading the discussion here and it didn't seem that obvious to me that Thaidakar is Kelsier - after all, why would Wit say "Deal with your own stupid planet" if that planet is Scadrial? But it's a decent theory.

But yes, I agree with your general thrust that just because Shallan might go to Ghostblood HQ to finish them off it doesn't necessarily mean she'll kill all their members. She'd probably be happy so long as any threats to Roshar and her family are removed. And whatever Thaidakar might actually be I suspect it'll be hard to confirm his death.

I think it's as close as it could be to being explicitly stated that Kel is Thaidakar.

Also, on the shipping front, I'm not sure how I feel about it (genuine mixed emotions given everything it involves) but I can only really see Kaladin ending up, if he does with anyone, with Syl after this book.

Partly it's sweet as she seems to properly love him. Enough to go into the Darkness inside for him. Whether that ends up being a weird romantic love or a chaste one or a purely platonic one I'm not sure yet.

A small part of me is sad because I always thought he'd pair up well with Azure

I'm not going to go into a bunch of detail. I'll just say, that while this book had some of my favorite moments, and the most breath-taking twist (like, for realsies, 100% well done BranSan), it was far from my favorite. I actually had a hard time getting through it, especially part 3.

It actually feels far more like set-up for book 5 than anything else. More so than any of the first 3. I'm not complaining. Just noticing. I don't hold it against him. I expect this book to be better in retrospect after we have book 5.

3 hours ago, kari-no-sugata said:

The implication was evident enough that several people who only read Era 1 got spoiled regarding Kell’s survival from this book. I doubt Brandon would be willing to take that surprise from his new fans just to troll his old ones. He’s too nice - and “Lord of Scars” was a bit too blatant.

2 hours ago, kari-no-sugata said:

Well, if Shallan acts based on that assumption, does it really matter if she is wrong? Kelsier will not just leave you alone after you've killed his people and thwarted his plans just because you claim a case of mistaken identity. Kelsier is most likely to have an organisation with an HQ. Even if the name on the signs is something like "Survive or bust" or "Misty Metals", this is not going to stop Shallan. For that she would have to fundamentally turn against Hoid.

And Kelsier is even likely to have people on Roshar independent of Harmony. I'd suspect the beringed steward from the intro.

41 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Well, if Shallan acts based on that assumption, does it really matter if she is wrong? Kelsier will not just leave you alone after you've killed his people and thwarted his plans just because you claim a case of mistaken identity. Kelsier is most likely to have an organisation with an HQ. Even if the name on the signs is something like "Survive or bust" or "Misty Metals", this is not going to stop Shallan. For that she would have to fundamentally turn against Hoid.

And Kelsier is even likely to have people on Roshar independent of Harmony. I'd suspect the beringed steward from the intro.

The GBs killed him, so assuming Kell is Thaidakar that steward wasn’t his.

19 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

The GBs killed him, so assuming Kell is Thaidakar that steward wasn’t his.

That is the next issue. Who has Feruchemists? Would Kelsier really have his people eliminate one of Harmony's people? If not, who else has Feruchemists? Another secret society on Scadrial? The Set having agents on Roshar?

I enjoyed RoW way more than OB and WoR, I don't know if I liked it better than WoK. 

pros:

For the first time Shallan didn't contribute negative enjoyment, she could have been dropped entirely and it'd made a better book but at least I wasn't suffering while reading her. 

Generally the characters made some healthy progression. 

The book was was not dependent on any significant darkness which was a blessing as Brandon has proven in book 2 and 3 that he is perfectly incapable of writing anything dark at all. 

Navani's engineering was interesting, if simplistic. 

The lady of wishes was a interesting antagonist.

Cons:

How many times can Navani trust the antagonist after getting burned? Just like Dalinars oath is to always take the next step, Navani's trust always stretches to one more time.

The military campaign was not interesting. Dalinar should have been doing something else, like looking for Ishar, and Jashna should have spent more of her page time on enforcing her rule. Maybe give some of Dalinars pages to Jashna and have Dalinar be of on a personal mission.

The Tower plot dragged at times and Venli had a very weak role in the book.

Every single antagonist and complex "evil" character has been either undermined, simplified or made stupid.

49 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

That is the next issue. Who has Feruchemists? Would Kelsier really have his people eliminate one of Harmony's people? If not, who else has Feruchemists? Another secret society on Scadrial? The Set having agents on Roshar?

Or some Feruchemists have joined the Rosharans straight up.

Harmony doesn’t approve of what Kell is up to, though he won’t interfere. Directly, anyway. If one of his agents was interfering - or even just spying - I can totally see Kell ordering him taken out.

Of course, it’s possible that someone else killed the Feruchemist and Mraize was there to collect the offworld artifacts when the Aviar freaked. Which would be an interesting twist.

Man this book...terrified me,in a good way

• Navani Raboniel dynamic was my fave this book,I was kinda hoping Raboniel stayed alive,those two would have made an amazing combo,especially with Navani been the new Bondsmith. RIP Lady of Wishes,thanks for giving us the cool name of Voice of Lights
  • Am i the only one that thought they'd need Lift and another radiant to restart they crystal pillar,especially with the reveal she can make Lifelight. I had thought they would need both lights to start it.(I thought this was what Cultivation planned anyway)
  • Does anyone think El is short for Elia,as in the Elia steele,since we know a listener wrote it.
  • I am so glad Gavilar's sphere did not contain an Unmade.
  • Taravangian terrifies me. The next book has to happen in the not so distant future which means he hasnt been fully corrupted by the Intent of the shard. His interaction with Hoid honestly frightened me

Here's my review for Rhythm of War:

Sanderson delivered exactly what I was hoping for...and so much more. He may have written about a Bondsmith 'unchained', but he's now in the glorious state of being an Author Unchained. In the middle of his magnum opus series, he's unapologetically gone Full Cosmere with Rhythm of War and Dawnshard, and the results are glorious to behold. My jaw dropped to the floor with Taravangian's arc, a mind-blowing twist set up so deliberately over 4 books yet still managing to knock the stuffing out of me completely. 

At the heart of the book, however, are the emotional journeys of characters I've come to love wholeheartedly (Kaladin & Navani I'm looking at you) or at least have come to empathize with and care about a lot (Venli, Adolin, and Shallan, hello). Dalinar made some appearances too of course, and he was awesome as usual, but taking a step out of the limelight after Oathbringer was called for (and it seems like he's stepping back in soon enough). Each of these main characters is dealing with such a different emotionally thorny journey with such incredibly loaded pasts, I just couldn't be blown away more by how Brandon is handling so many disparate arcs so well. Many authors I still love tend to create a lot of characters with similar traits and arcs, so it's the distinctiveness of this main cast and everyone's utter individuality (yet Connection!) that sets it apart. 

Rhythm of War in particular just seemed to handle character arcs in such a mature way compared to most fantasy books. Navani and Raboniel's arc was so mature and interesting: two enemy scientists bonding over shared passion of discovery. And Kaladin's mental health struggle and family issues were handled in such a real and relatable way--bravo, Brandon. These books would be character masterpieces if only for the main cast, but of course Brandon manages to pull us in completely to a multitude of other journeys as well with much less page time to do it in, too: the Dabbid and Rlain viewpoints were gripping as usual for his Bridge 4 crew, and other POVs like Lirin and Vyre were so dang strong and impactful in their own ways. Particular props for Adin's POV, which came so alive in the interlude and paid off so spectacularly during the climax.

I'm an utter Stormlight fanatic, so I didn't mind the slower pacing of books 1-3 with their longer and more frequent flashbacks and longer/less obviously connected interludes. That being said, the pacing of Rhythm of War blew me away, as it never let up from the moment Go. I was genuinely worried beforehand that Eshonai flashbacks would grind proceedings to a halt, but I should've trusted Brandon to know how to handle it and keep them pared down to an absolute minimum--plus splitting them with Venli was brilliant, as he rounded out her past and arc in a way where I can finally really care for her. Eshonai's bits in this book if put together would make for a wonderful short story on its own, all so worth it for the incredibly touching ending for someone we knew had already died on the battlefield ingloriously (or so we thought).

Back to the pacing--besides one Shallan chapter where she was trying to ferret out a spy (me knowing the answer would be a plot twist later made that whole scene seem so unnecessary) and the first two brief flashbacks, the book barely stopped moving. I think Brandon is continually improving as a writer as he goes now, and he is finding ways to trim all excess fat--almost to the point where I was missing the more deliberate pacing of earlier Stormlights, but not quite. I was so invested in the main plot thrust of Rhythm of War that I was thrilled with the book's focus and lack of digressions. His decision to move completely away from the Shadesmar plot for a huge portion of the book was a tremendous choice for this book and probably a difficult decision for him I'd imagine, and the scenes we did get there after the spy stuff were all impactful, fast, and with high stakes. 

And the interludes! Holy cow were they great! In the other books I generally felt like the interludes were interruptions I often had to slog through to get back to the main story I cared much more about--but not in this one! I found myself looking forward to the interludes in this one, as it was clear Brandon was staying closer to the action with them. I'm sure each future Stormlight book is going to be a bit different from the rest as the first 4 have been, but I do hope Brandon carries over some of the pacing from this book going forward. 

Rhythm of War is overall an absolutely worthy entry in what is becoming the greatest fantasy series of all time--a completely satisfying individual book with incredible emotional payoffs that also sets up the end of the 5-book arc masterfully with incredible suspense. 

Now that we have an Author Unchained, I need my next Cosmere fix and can't wait for what I'm sure will be a bombshell 4th Wax & Wayne book hopefully before too long. 

Edited by Benghis son son Kahn
typos

Finally finished the book this morning. I feel like I need to re-read it soon to fully appreciate it. I screwed up and came here to post reactions to individual parts and saw a couple thread titles that made me aware something big was going to happen with Taravangian so I feel like I kind of rushed through part 4 and most of part 5 wanting to get to this. I do not think I can say this has been my favorite SA book but it ranks high maybe 3 or possible even 2 after a re-read.

I feel like this book has the highest quantity of emotionally impactful character scenes so far for SA books. Adolin and Maya at the trial. Kaladin helping the people with mental health problems, relationship with his father, scene with Tien and 4th ideal after Teft's death. Shallan coming to terms with her past and saying goodbye to Veil. Raln and Venli finding the other singers. Navani's strugle with believing in herself as much as everyone else does then bonding the Sibling. Raboniel with her daughter and then her pride about Spren bonding singers. Oh and Jasnah on the battlefield and with Wit. A lot of powerful emotional moments in this one.  I do feel like some of the comic relief was missing in this book mainly The Lopen and Lift. 

I thought the pacing throughout the book was pretty good. I possible would have liked a little more time spent in Shadesmare and less in Urithiru but really this is a minor thing. I felt like the plot line in Emul was a little lacking would have liked to see a little more of the battle there specifically from other Radiant orders than we typically see. The only thing that kind of lost my interest in this book was the flashback chapters. Except the last one of course which was amazing. 

So many revelations, twist and turns. Some expected and some completely surprised me. I am still trying to wrap my head around Taravangian now holding Odium and what that will mean. We saw Nightblood take a chunck out of a Honorblade and then kill the vessel of a shard.  Also we see how to kill a fused or spren permanently.  A lot of Cosmere/Realmatic nuggets dropped. Embarrassingly the Thaidakar/Kelsier connection went straight over my head until I saw it here. I do feel like there was a lot of Cosmere in this book which is not bad at all from my point of view. I do think it has gone well beyond Easter Eggs and now central to the plot of the story. 

On 11/21/2020 at 7:29 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:
  Hide contents

Note the Steel platform. The Ones Above are likely Scadrians. 

And I doubt Roshar speaks for anyone but Roshar...

What about this bit? Does this give us more info about Lift's new bird? If so, how could it help her in the future?

Spoiler

"They didn't have the medicine on hand," said Third of Waves, the company officer of medical industry, a squat man with a bright-red Aviar that let him see colors invisible to everyone else. "They had to wait to fetch it."

53 minutes ago, UniteThem said:

What about this bit? Does this give us more info about Lift's new bird? If so, how could it help her in the future?

Hide contents

"They didn't have the medicine on hand," said Third of Waves, the company officer of medical industry, a squat man with a bright-red Aviar that let him see colors invisible to everyone else. "They had to wait to fetch it."

Possibly. Assuming it is an Aviar. I wonder why she couldn’t regrow the feathers...?

Having just finished I have to say this is by far my least favourite book. I didn’t mind not having much Dalinar since he’ll obviously play a big role next book. But Kaladin and Navani’s Part 3 & 4 parr’s STRETCHED with very little going on. And by only putting the Flashbacks into Part 3 onwards I felt it really hurt the pacing of the story since every 2 chapters you returned to the past. But I have often felt Brandon’s weakness was 2nd books as it’s all setting up the “end” of the trilogy. And Book 3/4 are clearly the 2nd books of the Stormlight “Pentology”? 

Still Id give it a 6.5 maybe 7 out of 10

Just finished the book.  First post on the shard, although I've enjoyed reading the discussions throughout the last few months.

After reading I am somewhat convinced that Cultivation is set to become the big bad in the first five books rather than Odium... but in an unthinking way.  She is empowering people towards growth, but it is hard to distinguish if it is either an example of blindly cultivating or truly carefully pruning.  In one of the earlier books someone (I think Odium talking to Dalinar) has a line about her not caring about specific goals, but simply growth.  I've held on to that line a while, and this whole book shows massive advances in understanding, in a way that seems like cultivation.  There are new radiants, new technology, new singers... the world should be in a struggle between Honor and Hatred, yet cultivation maneuvers for growth for the sake of growth.  It seems like a major problem that Cultivation exists outside of the seeming polarity of Honor and Odium.  I would not be surprised if a major narrative in the next book is about cultivation being responsible for the continued escalations that are defining the conflict between human and singer.

I also wonder if Honor and Cultivation are more at odds with each other than it might seem.  In my mind they are almost counterpoints, because Honor brings with it consistency and concreteness, while Cultivation is more about growth and change.  If you paired them together, I wonder how different it would be than what we read from Harmony's letter.  I think Honor and Odium would almost certainly pair better together, as an honorable person may hate things that aren't honorable...  It almost seems like Cultivation and Odium would be more likely to pair together well, because hatred and passion seem more likely to be grown and changed.  That certainly seems to be suggested as the book comes to a close.

This could all be wrong, but it seems in line with a lot of the mixing of investure as well.  We shall see.

I liked RoW. The Stormlight books for me are

1st WoK

2nd WoR

3th RoW

4th Dead Last Oathbringer

Oathbringer is going to be the Worst Book for a long time.

Positives

-    Surprisingly I liked Venli. Usually I have no patience for very selfish people but I liked Venli. Maybe it was that in this book I only saw her trying to be better. It just worked for me. I think she may have been my favorite character arc of the book.

-    I liked that the flashbacks were greatly reduced. We had 2 entire books with no flashbacks. I hope that continues with Szeth. I have never liked the flashbacks. They always take me out of the story and I’m like no please continue with the current timeline. The current timeline is all I care about.

-    Raboniel was excellent. I kind of accept that she is dead because it is what she wanted and she was very tired. But I would have liked if she had lived and I could keep reading about her.

-    Leshwi was really good. Wish I could have read more of her.

-    Rlain was excellent. When Rlain completely disappeared from Oathbringer I consoled myself by telling myself he would have a big part in a book about the listeners/singers. I thought Sanderson was saving him. Sadly Rlain’s part was pretty small. I wish it had been bigger, but what was there was really good.

-    Dabbid was wonderful. I liked how Navani immediately revised her assumptions when she learned Dabbid was Bridge Four. Bridge Four = The Good Guys.

-    Chiri-Chiri’s chapter may have been my favorite chapter of the book. It made me soo happy.

-    Lift was great. I only wish she hadn’t disappeared from the book. Lift might be the one exception when it comes to flashbacks. I’ll always want to read more of her.

Edit: Maya! How did I forget? Maya and the deadspren possibly being revived was huge.

Mixed

-    Kaladin’s part was really hard to read. Kaladin is my favorite character. Kaladin is my hero.

-    In Oathbringer, I loved every Kaladin part. From beginning to end it was all good. In RoW, there were some Kaladin parts I did not enjoy which I did not think was possible. It was tough to read.

-    Perfect Adolin is perfect. This bothers me a little.

-    I’ve never felt strongly about Navani and that continues even in this book where she is so central. I was hoping Rlain or Dabbid would bond the Sibling. Navani becoming the bondsmith is a little disappointing. I strongly support the spren making their own choice. I don’t really buy Navani’s argument that she and the sibling represent compromise or cooperation. The Sibling saying Navani is not worthy is enough for me to be against this bonding. Look at Syl who chose exactly who she wanted. They make a really strong pairing. Two willing partners is the best. The whole “I’m going to die unless I bond this person I don’t approve of” is not satisfying for me.

-    Shallan’s resolution regarding forgotten memories, Formless, and integrating Veil. This did not land for me. I thought it was empty. I needed more about her childhood I think. Someone upthread said Shallan’s arc needed more context and I agree. I have trouble follow what is going on with her. How is it possible she was talking to Adolin about killing her parents but withheld stealing from Jasnah and involvement with ghostbloods? I am very confused. She thinks Adolin is going to up and run with what she’s held back when he’s okay with her murdering family? This is one of those times Sanderson solves a problem with a single sentence and then ignores it going forward, but I think it needed a lot more. It just did not make sense to me. The whole thing was just not very emotional and I am still not clear on if she has forgiven herself. Forgiving herself was the goal I thought. Using a cube as a child was also never explained. Very annoying.

-    Eshonai is dead. Kaladin is my hero. Eshonai is my hero. These two are my favorite characters. Very sad Eshonai is gone. Still would have preferred her to Venli.

-    Odium is underwhelming. This continues from Oathbringer so I expected it and did not have strong feelings about it. In Oathbringer, I was devasted that Odium turned out to be a wimp. It is part of the reason I dislike Oathbringer.

Negatives

-    Dalinar

-    Szeth

-    Dalinar and Szeth both had small parts in the book. It was still waay too much. Best case scenario: Dalinar dies before the 10 days are up, every character gets amnesia and is like “Dalinar? I’ve never known anyone named Dalinar” And I never have to read about him again. 2nd best scenario: Dalinar dies and becomes a Fused. Unfortunately, in this case I will still have to read about him. Worst case scenario: I have to read about Dalinar (and Szeth).

-    Adolin being the only one to make sure Kaladin is with people when he needs to be. Damn, Bride Four where are you? How could you let my man down?

-    Adolin and Shallan’s relationship. This is like Odium being underwhelming. It continues from Oathbringer and it is what I expected but it is still horrible.

-    Veil saying she was glad she was outvoted to Adolin. This made me laugh and broke my heart. If only the voting system had been in effect way back when Shallan would not have married Adolin. Veil was not outvoted; Shallan was.

Finally, I’ll say I do not trust Sanderson with characters. He’ll shove his characters into any configuration to fit his plot. It does not have to make sense or be consistent. My favorite part of books is character interactions and Sanderson seems to want to avoid these interactions. Sanderson and I do not agree on what is good. Since I did like RoW I will read book 5, but with Kaladin taking a back seat with books 6-10 I’m not sure I will read them. Kaladin pulls me through all the things I don’t like so I’ll have to make a decision after book 5.

Edit: One more thing in the mixed section. I was disappointed Kaladin did not confront Moash one more time. Every time they have had a confrontation Kaladin had been defeated so I wanted to see Kaladin confront Moash at the end and stand tall. Maybe it even could have affected Moash for the better.

Edited by wotbibliophile