Rhythm of War Full Book Reactions

Chaos

At midnight, eastern time on Nov 17th, we will allow full book discussion on Rhythm of War. It's just... oh, a little over five hours away!

This topic is here so you can put your full book reactions. Please feel free to jump off and make your own topics on things too!

We also have threads for each part: 

Part One Reactions

Part Two Reactions

Part Three Reactions

Part Four Reactions

I am now going to put a lot of intentional white space. Don't scroll down if you haven't read the book!

Guest Parallax

What is the scene Brandon said he had been planning for a long time and we would know it when we read it? (I won't have the book until tomorrow and I don't mind  spoilers). 

- love this line XD “I hate you” 

-Mraize’s “communication cube” is a Seon!!!!!!! (It seems like an abused one at that) and he gave it/one to Shallan

-the “Shardblade” shallan used to kill her mother was a spren she bonded and killed before She ever bonded pattern

-thaidaikar is a Cognitive shadow/Spren and is called “lord of scars” and lives on another planet
Kelsier confirmed!!!!!!!!!!!!?????

Spoiler
Edited by Eternal Khol

1 hour ago, Eternal Khol said:

- love this line XD “I hate you” 

-Mraize’s “communication cube” is a Seon!!!!!!! (It seems like an abused one at that) and he gave it/one to Shallan

-the “Shardblade” shallan used to kill her mother was a spren she bonded and killed before She ever bonded pattern

-thaidaikar is a Cognitive shadow/Spren and is called “lord of scars” and lives on another planet
Kelsier confirmed!!!!!!!!!!!!?????

Hide contents

Is there supposed to be something in the hide contents? Seems to be empty

12 minutes ago, Harkain said:

So ah, for when other people get there. Anyone else left utterly speechless by chapter 113.

I legitimately put down my phone and just repeated "what' for about 30 seconds...

Omg!!! 
that’s literally what i just came to discuss!!!!

Spoiler

Nightblood kills Rayse and Taravangian Ascends as Odium!!!!!!

But plottwist..... everyone else thinks Taravangian is dead and Rayse is still holding Odium

I just cant believe it.

Edited by Eternal Khol

Just now, Eternal Khol said:

Omg!!! 
that’s literally what i just came to discuss!!!!

Still getting through the rest of it. Honestly I'm both terrified for the future cause the shard is probably a lot more dangerous now but also happy cause the big T was probably one of my more favourite characters.

5 minutes ago, Harkain said:

Still getting through the rest of it. Honestly I'm both terrified for the future cause the shard is probably a lot more dangerous now but also happy cause the big T was probably one of my more favourite characters.

Tbh. i read the epilogue before these chapters and was very confused by what went down in it, but it all makes sense now

epilogue

Spoiler

Hoid talks to Odium and Odium says something that Hoid notes “Rayse wouldn’t say” or “wouldn’t think”

i just took it to mean that Odium took full control of Rayse, but its a totally different Vessel

Edited by Eternal Khol

3 hours ago, Parallax said:

What is the scene Brandon said he had been planning for a long time and we would know it when we read it? (I won't have the book until tomorrow and I don't mind  spoilers). 

I've got 2 guesses:

1. The Thaidakar reveal or 

2. The Odium Switch

14 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

Tbh. i read the epilogue before these chapters and was very confused by what went down in it, but it all makes sense now

Just read the epilogue.
RIP Hoid.

Spoiler

Also just to double check. After this we only have 14 shard names instead of 16 right? I remember seeing a WOB saying that we'd get all of them in ROW but I'm not sure.

New shard names I spotted where Whimsy, Invention, Valor and Mercy.

Edited by Harkain
Didn't want to double post.

18 minutes ago, Harkain said:

Just read the epilogue.
RIP Hoid.

Hide contents

Also just to double check. After this we only have 14 shard names instead of 16 right? I remember seeing a WOB saying that we'd get all of them in ROW but I'm not sure.

New shard names I spotted where Whimsy, Invention, Valor and Mercy.

In the Arcanum, Khriss mentions “Foil” controlling the Aethers. so that must be another Shard

“I think that perhaps Foil, deep within his ocean, would find this information supports my theories over his. And he’d do well to listen to me on this matter if he ever wishes to achieve control over the aethers, as he has insisted is his goal.”

Edited by Eternal Khol

8 minutes ago, Gyirin said:

What did you think of Shallan's arc in this book?

Also I'm not too sure. I definitely didn't see the twist coming but I was sorta hoping Brandon didn't go down the path of her losing alters. 

7 minutes ago, Darbies said:

I just created an account to say the That I have never hated a character more than Moash in any book I have read.

I also don’t know how I feel about the Odium switch yet but am interested in how it plays out with the book ‘gap’ coming up

I completely and utterly agree with the F**k Moash sentiment. He only makes things worse.

Also thinking considering that Hoid seems to be playing his hand a lot more in this book and that the Big T has figured out a real good way to manipulate him I'm scared for what'll happen in Book 5.

2 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

In the Arcanum, Khriss mentions “Foil” controlling the Aethers. so that must be another Shard

Honestly I took that as more the name of a scholarly contemporary of Khriss more than anything.

Edited by Harkain
Avoiding that double post.

Guest Parallax

@scottwo Thanks! 

New Shards: Invention is another name for Ingenuity, Mercy is a shard I had predicted (along with Beauty & Justice) so I am glad that one turned out to be correct. I am not sure where Brandon will go with Whimsy, but it could easily turn into the most terrifying shard to deal with. 

@Harkain Hoid will be fine, his plot armor is thicker than all the cosmere books put together. 

What did Shallan find when he found/met Restares? Or did she fail? And what did Moash do that has everyone pissed off?

Edited by Parallax

4 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

Yeah, me too. I didn’t really get a “shardy” vibe from that name, but i was being hopeful

Always good to be hopeful haha.

Also what's your take on the mixture of Odium and Honour being War and the mixture of Honour and Cultivation being Science (possibly, wasn't nearly as confirmed as the other one)?

Science makes sense for Honour and Cultivation tho imo it strays close to Invention and it doesn't really sound shardy.
War sorta makes sense but I was expecting something a bit more surprising I guess.

Also my new crackpot theory is that theirs a rhythm for ever permutation of combining the different shards.

2 minutes ago, Parallax said:

@scottwo Thanks! 

New Shards: Invention is another name for Ingenuity, Mercy is a shard I had predicted (along with Beauty & Justice) so I am glad that one turned out to be correct. I am not sure about where Brandon will go with Whimsy, but it could easily turn into the most terrifying shard to deal with. 

@Harkain Hoid will be fine, his plot armor is thicker than all the cosmere books put together. 

What did Shallan find when he found/met Restares? Or did she fail? And what did Moash do that has everyone pissed off?

Spoilers in case you haven't finished the book.

Spoiler

Moash killed our beautiful boy Teft and we shall never forgive him for that. Also yet again trying to convince Kaladin to suicide. 

Fairly sure they didn't fail considering the whole Maya thing about both the radiants and their siren agreeing to the recreance. For Restares/Kelek I'd guess it was someone who knew Cosmere stuff/was aware enough to tell her about it apart from Mraize. Also probably that the ghost bloods want Ba Ado Mishram for some reason?

Edited by Harkain
"I hate you" me referring to double posts.

Guest Parallax

Is the status of the Sibling explained? Is it associated with a shard (like Stormfather & Nightwatcher) or is it just an immensely powerful spren?

Edited by Parallax

3 minutes ago, Gyirin said:

What did you think of Adolin's arc?

I saw Daniel Greene's review and he says Adolin's story felt a bit convenient in this book.

Tbh idm it, tho I'd say it was probably the one I was least invested in. Imo I can definitely see him being the one people refer to when they talked about suddenly being asked to be interested in a certain character. If anything it sorta felt like a bit of a side arc to what was happening with Shallan, like it was her plot but we needed to see from Adolins perspective to understand what happened.

1 minute ago, Parallax said:

Is the status of the Sibling explained? Is it associated with a shard (like Stormfather & Nightwatcher) or is it just an immensely powerful spren?

You get a pretty good explanation + a whole bunch of cosmere magic world building. Couple of the piece are only briefly mentioned but there's enough in there to have a pretty good picture

Edited by Harkain
Double Post = Bad