Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MasterK-Bob

Reshi King

11 posts in this topic

Did the Reshi king, who has been biologically female, but was touchy about being called king and not queen, transform into a biological male after bonding a spren a being able to heal to a (male) spiritual ideal, having apparently previously been trans, or did I just imagine that? Is there another interpretation?

12 minutes ago, MasterK-Bob said:

Did the Reshi king, who has been biologically female, but was touchy about being called king and not queen, transform into a biological male after bonding a spren a being able to heal to a (male) spiritual ideal, having apparently previously been trans, or did I just imagine that? Is there another interpretation?

Yep.  That is what happened.  Brandon confirmed this on Reddit.

Link? That's very interesting.

2 hours ago, MasterK-Bob said:

Link? That's very interesting.

pelolep

So the Reshi King canonically trans, right? I was hoping so when he was first mentioned, and I know it's been asked before if a trans Radiant would "heal" towards their true gender.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. And this is what happened.

Dawnshard Annotations Reddit Q&A (Nov. 6, 2020)

interesting.

then you get "healed" to a version you perceive yourself as.
that would also mean that every injury, no matter how long in the past, can get healed. as long as the perception of oneself is without that injury.

11 hours ago, trav said:

interesting.

that would also mean that every injury, no matter how long in the past, can get healed. as long as the perception of oneself is without that injury.

I suspect it's even more complicated than that and different healing has different effects (I don't think gold feruchemy does this, no matter how much is stored up but Brandon said it would heal a shardblade wound). I also don't think progression healing would do this. These seem to work in different ways. I don't think there's super clear WoBs though about this.

11 hours ago, trav said:

interesting.

This is why Kaladin's slave brand doesn't heal, right? He still sees himself as a slave. If Rysn became a Radiant a few years after Dawnshard I bet she would remain paraplegic too, once it's settled in as part of her Identity. 

On 11/18/2020 at 6:50 AM, trav said:

interesting.

17 hours ago, ScarecrowBoat716 said:

This is why Kaladin's slave brand doesn't heal, right? He still sees himself as a slave. If Rysn became a Radiant a few years after Dawnshard I bet she would remain paraplegic too, once it's settled in as part of her Identity. 

Correct, this is how it works. Kaladin a brands don’t heal because he sees himself as a slave, but Lopens arm does regrow even after so long because he refused to actually accept himself as the one-armed Herdazian

I think progression very much would heal someone to their correct gender identity, it seems to involve showing people their ideal self.

19 hours ago, Jescape said:

I think progression very much would heal someone to their correct gender identity, it seems to involve showing people their ideal self.

Renarin's version did, don't know if it works that way for Edgedancers or non-corrupted Truthwatchers.

I think "heal" is probably the wrong word.  Whatever phenomena is happening, healing is just the most obvious effect what with the various wounds we've seen healed.  But look at Rysn.  Another Radiant cannot "heal" her legs since the damage is too old, though I have no doubt that if she bonded a spren and could hold investiture then she'd regain the use of her legs.  But if she spent a few decades as a cripple before bonding a spren, then I bet she wouldn't - her spiritual identity would have changed enough that that's how she saw herself.  Look at Kaladin's brands.  They don't "heal" because they're a part of his personal identity.

If you were a mad scientist and completely skinned Kaladin's forehead, then gave him some Stormlight, the skin would regrow and he'd regrow his brands.  Would "healing" regrow an old wound?  No, I don't think it would.  Now, what if that same mad scientist skinned Kaladin's forehead, removing the brands, then, rather than giving him access to Stormlight, had a Radiant heal Kaladin? Would his regrown forehead have brands or not?  I'm honestly unsure. Someone ask Brandon.