Rhythm of War Part Two Reactions

Chaos

10 hours ago, IllNsickly said:

I do not like Lirin. At all.

[...]

And also... Lirin... Is he secretly one of the Heralds who has simply gone ‘round the bend? I would accept that and not be so harsh about him.

Weird. I have seen several people point out how mad they are at Lirin. I am actually glad he is like he is. It makes sense that he has deep-rooted values and wants his child to see and accept them and has serious problems with seeing the child he raised take a path he condemns. It's simply human to be angry. And to not be perfect. Or to be so in over your head in you rmorals that you can't accept that other people simply see things differently. That they must be bad because they don't /can't see your point. The internet is full of this attitude, from the most extreme ends of the political/ideological spectrum to the "idc let's just not be annoying" middle. Which makes Lirin a pretty regular guy to me. I am also not part of the storm Moash crowd (although I appreciate the meme lol). I am not a fan of Taravangian, though. I prefer Moash's reasoning to Taravangian's. Dunno.

Ah yes, Moash / the Vyre interlude after part II. I noticed that while it's normal to find repeptitive / manual work meditative, Moash seems to slip into a Parshman mindset: Not doing much just working because working is good, not feeling. Odium tells him that Vyre behaves in ways he hasn't seen before. and I thought "yeah like a human Parshman right?". I'm curious whether we'll learn more about the Parsh-form (what was it called? Numbform or something? I didn't read the first two books in English ^^°) And whether Moash will corrupt/turn Kaladin towards Odium, or Kaladin will corrupt/turn Moash towards Honour, or some third option. Hmm.

Edit: 17th shard changes the word f* to "storm". Guys. Guys I love you all. This forum is the best I swear

Edit 2: Random theory: Lirin might have killed someone, and decided to heal from then on. And now he is mad about the fact that his son is not better than him, although he did his best to prevent that. Like Dalinar wants Adolin to be better than him. How about that?? I just remembered my grandfather (WW2 veteran, never talked much about the time but mentioned that how people looked after you pulled the trigger or threw a bomb was always a thing he didn't want to see) angry. I saw him angry at us kids exactly once in my life: my little brother had a wooden rifle and played with it. He was pretty immersed and happy with his wooden weapon, making sounds and movements that imitated battle. My grandfather dropped his spoon, and suddenly yelled at the top of his lungs "if you have to play with this blasted thing, get it out of my house, both of you!" So - that could be knee-jerk anger at yourself/the trauma you never addressed, I guess. Another not friendly but normal thing to do. I really want to know how Lirin found his morals/convictions now.

Edited by Wind_Breaker

10 hours ago, Wind_Breaker said:

About the Rhyshadium: Where do you have the musicspren bond info from?? That is interesting.

The moon: Ohhh I missed that entirely! I guess we'll learn how the world of Roshar was fromed by H + C at some point.

Adhesion: ah I thought that since the Sibling was partially corrupted, not all Radiant surges were suppressed, only some, and Adhesion happens to be one of them. I also assumed that the Bondsmith abilities were the closest to Honour / that one of them was the tenth surge Raboniel mentions. I couldn't figure out which surge the Fused do not use yet. They definitely use Transportation, Illumination, Abrasion and Division.

In Oathbringer Chapter 26, some Ryshadium are spotted with some musicspren hovering around them, even though there was no music around. It appears similar to how the Chasmfiends have the arrow-headed luckspren hovering near them/their corpses. So it is assumed that is the spren that they have a symbiotic bond with.

At one point in Part 2, Raboniel talks about how there are 9 true surges of Roshar, and the 10th: Adhesion, the surge of bonds, is one that Honor added. So the Fused don't use it.

Wow. Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow.

(I haven't read the rest of this thread, so I don't know how much stuff I'm repeating, especially about the new Shards.)

Four new Shards? 

STORMS.

It is really good to hear from Sazed again, though. Especially since I was rereading MB era 1 before I started RoW.

It is a little disappointing that we got these four so quickly and easily, but I'm really glad, too. The hunt is drawing to a close, which is both amazing and a part of the disapointment. But there will always be more stuff. Just not the names of Shards. *sigh*

And at the ending of the final chapter...  When Lirin said "I will take responsibility..." I knew that it sounded way familiar, and after some very careful internet browsing, I remembered. Dalinar's third oath. "I will take responsibility for what I have done." What if Lirin is a Bondsmith? I don't really like him, but while I see where he's coming from, I really don't want him to be a Bondsmith. But what if?

Those were the two big things for me. I am liking Navani a lot more than I thought I would, too.

And now I'm going to go read the interludes.

Edited by Ookla the Rōnin

List of people deserve to meet their ends as chasmfiend dump

• Lirin
  • Lirin
  • Lirin
  • Lirin
  • Lirin
  • Laral
  • Nale
  • Taravangian
  • Moash
  • Lirin supporters 

Honorable mentions who cannot receive this fate cause they're dead

• Amaram
  • Sadeas
  • Pursuer: for being simply boring to read about
  • Roshone
  • Wax's uncle
Edited by MONARCH

On 17/11/2020 at 8:29 AM, Eternal Khol said:

Harmony talks about having/finding a kind of Champion who would be like his main agent. Harmomy’s hands.

who do we think it is?

Wax?

It was my first tought, but i am not sure about the timeline...

btw, my comments so far:

- i am really enjoying how much cosmere is involved in this book

- the pacing is off. I am not talking about the writing pace, that is good, but the problem is that the reader knows too much about what is happening, and a lot of things that happen is irrelevant (example: the surprise attack in Urithiru is known too early, and everything happening in the between (about 20 chapters) feels like stalling

- i like the main characters, i like how well you can feel their fears, their pain etc, but in this book, speaking about Kaladin and Shallan, it's too much so far. I know kaladin is broken, i know shallan has her problems, but this book keeps reminding it, basically in every page they are in. I noticed that, where in oathbringer we have seen some character developement, in row there is a step back. reading row kaladin feel a lot like wok kaladin, like there was no progression at all. However, the other characters developement is awesome

PS: I am sorry for my english, i hope it's comprehensible..

Edited by Stefano

Ooookay I just finished. My shards there are too many things to type. Just AHHHHHHHHHHH. Everything. A sanderlanche in part TWO?!?!?! 

The hardest hitting thing for me was The fight with Lirin. I want to slap Lirin so bad. But also, I want to give him a hug. Not really a hug though, more like a... ah yes a strangling, that’s the word I’m looking for.

Okay okay okay, but Dabbid!!!!!! Is he... are we looking at a new Bondsmith?! Or would that be Navani?? I wanted Rlain but ahhhhh so many options now. 

But Pattern!!! I don’t believe he’s a spy, he can’t be! How would he have poisoned Ialai as a spren?

Just everything in this part. I do not have the words to type it all. There. Is. Too. Much. 

Edited by Ookla The Female Chicken

Sitting cross legged at 7am, tears running down my face. What have you done to me, Brandon Sanderson?

I'm such a soft touch, I went all gooey when teft resigned to work at the clinic.  

Pattern? ****

I spent the first two books hating Adolin. Now, in all, you so much more than a sword, and a uniform bro. Love Maya. This part just depresses me. I think back about how back then, when the honor spren were true, Jezrien alive, it must have been glorious. Do you think there were a bunch of Windrunners, maybe the biggest order,  or that the honor spren just had a smaller population. It seems crazy that every living member was bound.  I think adolin brings Maya back showing that the genocide can be reversed.  

**** every shard and shareholder except sazed culti and tan.  Yeah nobody cares, just sacrifice roshar for the greater good.  

Kinda broken up tbh, thought the attack would come much later and navani and my boy were gonna be able to turn the tide. I was doing 12 hail Mary's while she was infusing the fail safe.  Man I'm glad total defeat was averted but gonna take way more than waking up those 20 knights and their squires.  I don't know what it says that the most selfless orders have gravitated to the coalition,  but really broke me up all those stonewards not even getting a chance to fight.  

I said it before I'll say again, Syl the baddest spren who ever sprenned.  

You ready for this? They were going to take teft. Damn. Damn. 

Storm Lirin. Bridge four forever.

• Jofwu unpinned this topic