Chaos

Rhythm of War Part One Reactions

12 posts in this topic

If you're reading the book and you want to liveblog some thoughts as you read, this thread will exist so you can chat about Part One but NOT be spoiled by later stuff in the book. So feel free to discuss Part One of Rhythm of War! 

No spoilers, even tagged, for later portions of Rhythm of War beyond Part One.

6 hours ago, Chaos said:

If you're reading the book and you want to liveblog some thoughts as you read, this thread will exist so you can chat about Part One but NOT be spoiled by later stuff in the book. So feel free to discuss Part One of Rhythm of War! 

No spoilers, even tagged, for later portions of Rhythm of War beyond Part One.

Is this just for chapters 1-19 for those who didn't read the preview chapters or the first interludes as well?

The first of those, I would think. 

I've already read the preview chapters, but I just went back through part 1 to check out the artwork we missed so far.

Have we seen Vorin numerals before except on the AU chart of the Rosharan system? The atrium sketch has a bunch, and interestingly it implies that Ishi is not associated with 10, but with 0 (don't know if that was clear before). I feel like there's probably enough here to work out how higher numbers work, but I'll wait for the rest of the book to see if we get more clues.

A couple of questions: has anyone already translated Navani's sketches? And is the painting of Battah already online anywhere? The heralds aren't in my ebook, but I've already found the other three elsewhere.

4 hours ago, Mender said:

A couple of questions: has anyone already translated Navani's sketches? And is the painting of Battah already online anywhere? The heralds aren't in my ebook, but I've already found the other three elsewhere.

I've got a separate thread with translations of Navani's notebook (which includes stuff from later parts in the book). The Battah illustration hasn't been revealed. 

Thanks, I'll check out the translations when I'm done with the book then. Basically just wanted to check that I don't need to bother translating them myself. :D

I'm going to be updating this with my thoughts as I go through Part 1!

• I noticed that in Chapter 1 in Hearthstone, the locals are now using carapace chits as a form of currency! I wonder if the Singers started using them as an easy way to give the new populace of singers money without having to steal spheres from Hearthstone's citizens. They may also have been instructed this by the Fused as chits can't be used as a source of power for Knights Radiant!
  • Numbers of different Knights Radiant known: Windrunners 50 with 250 squires. 3 Truthwatchers. 50 Edgedancers. 
  • Kaladin is unable to infuse Syl with Stormlight, yet Shallan is able to do this with Pattern. Is this due to the different surges behaving differently? I wonder if Truthwatchers are able to infuse their spren with illusions.
  • Using the Rhythms to infuse spren to grow food as part of a natural fabrial! This infusion of spren with stormlight leads to the questions of all the different spren that can be infused! This goes beyond the true spren like Pattern but all others. Emerald is the gemstone associated with soulcasting wood, plants and moss. Also the Truthwatchers who can use Progression. Would one be able to make a similar fabrial with rubies to create fires? I wonder which Rhythm is being used for this!
Edited by AutonomousJoy
More thoughts to add

"That's because Wit is an asshole." - Zahel

New favorite line from any book, ever. 

Reading through and Kaladin, I love you, but do you have to be such a Windrunner all the time? The Shallan/Veil/Radiant chapters (is there a name for their system? I feel like I’ve seen ‘the Three’ used before as fanon, and the Sleepless call them ‘the One Who Is Three’, but neither of those sound great to me. ‘The Shallan system’ is boring and possibly misleading or rude to the others (being singular, I don’t know if that would be considered rude - maybe naming a system after the original isn’t weird?)...maybe Lightweavers? Shallan and Radiant have the spren bond, does Veil have access to it? She can’t take Memories, but then again that’s a mental thing. Does Pattern differentiate between them? I’ll probably get some answers later on. I hope. Oh whoops this was all supposed to be a side note) are, as you can likely tell, infinitely more interesting to me than Kaladin’s fighting. 

I’m not that far in, though, so we’ll see. 

I’m just going to reread part one until my book arrives. See y’all in the threads. 

On 11/17/2020 at 4:27 PM, AonEne said:

Reading through and Kaladin, I love you, but do you have to be such a Windrunner all the time? The Shallan/Veil/Radiant chapters (is there a name for their system? I feel like I’ve seen ‘the Three’ used before as fanon, and the Sleepless call them ‘the One Who Is Three’, but neither of those sound great to me. ‘The Shallan system’ is boring and possibly misleading or rude to the others (being singular, I don’t know if that would be considered rude - maybe naming a system after the original isn’t weird?)...maybe Lightweavers? Shallan and Radiant have the spren bond, does Veil have access to it? She can’t take Memories, but then again that’s a mental thing. Does Pattern differentiate between them? I’ll probably get some answers later on. I hope. Oh whoops this was all supposed to be a side note) are, as you can likely tell, infinitely more interesting to me than Kaladin’s fighting. 

I’m not that far in, though, so we’ll see. 

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.  'The Three' was used a few times in Chapter Seven, but I'm unsure as to whether or not that is the name of their system.

I finished Part One, so I wrote out my thoughts on it.  It's a bit long, but it's much more organized than the notes I took along the way.

I’m interested to see where Shallan/Veil/Radiant’s story goes - it looks like there might be some more Ghostblood stuff happening there.  And I am curious to find out just what is happening with their memories.

I like that we’re getting more of Navani’s perspective.  She’s a very interesting character, and it’s enjoyable seeing Roshar from her perspective, especially since we tend to get more science-type stuff from her.

It looks like there’s tension between Adolin, Renarin, and Dalinar, with good reason.  That’ll be interesting to see play out.  Speaking of Adolin, I’m so glad he’s back.  He’s a supportive ray of sunshine and I love him for it.  I’d like it if we get something from his POV at some point, clearly a lot has changed, and I’d like to know his thoughts on becoming a highprince, Dalinar’s book, and everything that’s happened.

And Kaladin.  I honestly don’t know how to feel about what’s happening with him.  It looks like he’s using Stormlight as a kind of antidepressant, which… doesn’t seem like a long term solution.  I’m glad he’s taking a break from the battlefield - no one should have to be in continuous warfare.  But at the same time, I’m concerned that continuing his training as a surgeon is going to backfire on him in some way.  I think it’s highly likely that the tension between him and Lirin is going to come to a head at some point.  

It was a relatively short section, but I’m glad the scene where Kaladin, Adolin and Veil go out for drinks was in there.  And again, supportive Adolin!  Now, someone in-book recognize him for the amazing person he is!

Venli… I’m not quite sure what's happening there yet.  She’s organized some kind of resistance?  And if I read correctly, it seems that spren have contacted the Fused - maybe the honorspren?  That’s going to be interesting.  I'm enjoying her perspective more than I thought I would originally.

And now I have to save the rest of the book until tomorrow, because otherwise, I am going to Ruin my functionality in school.

My main thoughts: 

Navani? Gavilar? Wow...

Flying boat things? I knew it!

Oooooh... Finally some stuff with the Sons of Honor? Took long enough!

Moash... My hate of you is intensifying.

Kaladin! *sobbing*

KALADIN!!! *sobbing*

ROCK! *sobbing*

Adolin, you're too storming pure and sweet and perfect. Thank you.

Nalthis? Scadrial? Taldain? WHAT'S GOING ON HERE, GHOSTBLOODS? WHAT DO YOU KNOW?

I love what's going on with Shallan, too. It's fascinating to read, and her relationship with Adolin is so interesting!

Oh... That's what you know, Ghostbloods... And more... TELL US EVERYTHING YOU KNOW!

I am loving this so so so much. And is it just me, or do the characters feel so much more... Real? They've always been excellent, but now they seem so much more like individuals. I have just a few chapters left until I'm done with part one. This is so good. And from what I've heard, it just gets better. I'm going to go and keep reading!