Rhythm of War Part One Reactions

Chaos

If you're reading the book and you want to liveblog some thoughts as you read, this thread will exist so you can chat about Part One but NOT be spoiled by later stuff in the book. So feel free to discuss Part One of Rhythm of War! 

No spoilers, even tagged, for later portions of Rhythm of War beyond Part One.

6 hours ago, Chaos said:

If you're reading the book and you want to liveblog some thoughts as you read, this thread will exist so you can chat about Part One but NOT be spoiled by later stuff in the book. So feel free to discuss Part One of Rhythm of War! 

No spoilers, even tagged, for later portions of Rhythm of War beyond Part One.

Is this just for chapters 1-19 for those who didn't read the preview chapters or the first interludes as well?

I've already read the preview chapters, but I just went back through part 1 to check out the artwork we missed so far.

Have we seen Vorin numerals before except on the AU chart of the Rosharan system? The atrium sketch has a bunch, and interestingly it implies that Ishi is not associated with 10, but with 0 (don't know if that was clear before). I feel like there's probably enough here to work out how higher numbers work, but I'll wait for the rest of the book to see if we get more clues.

A couple of questions: has anyone already translated Navani's sketches? And is the painting of Battah already online anywhere? The heralds aren't in my ebook, but I've already found the other three elsewhere.

4 hours ago, Mender said:

A couple of questions: has anyone already translated Navani's sketches? And is the painting of Battah already online anywhere? The heralds aren't in my ebook, but I've already found the other three elsewhere.

I've got a separate thread with translations of Navani's notebook (which includes stuff from later parts in the book). The Battah illustration hasn't been revealed. 

I'm going to be updating this with my thoughts as I go through Part 1!

• I noticed that in Chapter 1 in Hearthstone, the locals are now using carapace chits as a form of currency! I wonder if the Singers started using them as an easy way to give the new populace of singers money without having to steal spheres from Hearthstone's citizens. They may also have been instructed this by the Fused as chits can't be used as a source of power for Knights Radiant!
  • Numbers of different Knights Radiant known: Windrunners 50 with 250 squires. 3 Truthwatchers. 50 Edgedancers. 
  • Kaladin is unable to infuse Syl with Stormlight, yet Shallan is able to do this with Pattern. Is this due to the different surges behaving differently? I wonder if Truthwatchers are able to infuse their spren with illusions.
  • Using the Rhythms to infuse spren to grow food as part of a natural fabrial! This infusion of spren with stormlight leads to the questions of all the different spren that can be infused! This goes beyond the true spren like Pattern but all others. Emerald is the gemstone associated with soulcasting wood, plants and moss. Also the Truthwatchers who can use Progression. Would one be able to make a similar fabrial with rubies to create fires? I wonder which Rhythm is being used for this!
Edited by AutonomousJoy
More thoughts to add

Reading through and Kaladin, I love you, but do you have to be such a Windrunner all the time? The Shallan/Veil/Radiant chapters (is there a name for their system? I feel like I’ve seen ‘the Three’ used before as fanon, and the Sleepless call them ‘the One Who Is Three’, but neither of those sound great to me. ‘The Shallan system’ is boring and possibly misleading or rude to the others (being singular, I don’t know if that would be considered rude - maybe naming a system after the original isn’t weird?)...maybe Lightweavers? Shallan and Radiant have the spren bond, does Veil have access to it? She can’t take Memories, but then again that’s a mental thing. Does Pattern differentiate between them? I’ll probably get some answers later on. I hope. Oh whoops this was all supposed to be a side note) are, as you can likely tell, infinitely more interesting to me than Kaladin’s fighting. 

I’m not that far in, though, so we’ll see. 

On 11/17/2020 at 4:27 PM, AonEne said:

Reading through and Kaladin, I love you, but do you have to be such a Windrunner all the time? The Shallan/Veil/Radiant chapters (is there a name for their system? I feel like I’ve seen ‘the Three’ used before as fanon, and the Sleepless call them ‘the One Who Is Three’, but neither of those sound great to me. ‘The Shallan system’ is boring and possibly misleading or rude to the others (being singular, I don’t know if that would be considered rude - maybe naming a system after the original isn’t weird?)...maybe Lightweavers? Shallan and Radiant have the spren bond, does Veil have access to it? She can’t take Memories, but then again that’s a mental thing. Does Pattern differentiate between them? I’ll probably get some answers later on. I hope. Oh whoops this was all supposed to be a side note) are, as you can likely tell, infinitely more interesting to me than Kaladin’s fighting. 

I’m not that far in, though, so we’ll see. 

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.  'The Three' was used a few times in Chapter Seven, but I'm unsure as to whether or not that is the name of their system.

I finished Part One, so I wrote out my thoughts on it.  It's a bit long, but it's much more organized than the notes I took along the way.

I’m interested to see where Shallan/Veil/Radiant’s story goes - it looks like there might be some more Ghostblood stuff happening there.  And I am curious to find out just what is happening with their memories.

I like that we’re getting more of Navani’s perspective.  She’s a very interesting character, and it’s enjoyable seeing Roshar from her perspective, especially since we tend to get more science-type stuff from her.

It looks like there’s tension between Adolin, Renarin, and Dalinar, with good reason.  That’ll be interesting to see play out.  Speaking of Adolin, I’m so glad he’s back.  He’s a supportive ray of sunshine and I love him for it.  I’d like it if we get something from his POV at some point, clearly a lot has changed, and I’d like to know his thoughts on becoming a highprince, Dalinar’s book, and everything that’s happened.

And Kaladin.  I honestly don’t know how to feel about what’s happening with him.  It looks like he’s using Stormlight as a kind of antidepressant, which… doesn’t seem like a long term solution.  I’m glad he’s taking a break from the battlefield - no one should have to be in continuous warfare.  But at the same time, I’m concerned that continuing his training as a surgeon is going to backfire on him in some way.  I think it’s highly likely that the tension between him and Lirin is going to come to a head at some point.  

It was a relatively short section, but I’m glad the scene where Kaladin, Adolin and Veil go out for drinks was in there.  And again, supportive Adolin!  Now, someone in-book recognize him for the amazing person he is!

Venli… I’m not quite sure what's happening there yet.  She’s organized some kind of resistance?  And if I read correctly, it seems that spren have contacted the Fused - maybe the honorspren?  That’s going to be interesting.  I'm enjoying her perspective more than I thought I would originally.

And now I have to save the rest of the book until tomorrow, because otherwise, I am going to Ruin my functionality in school.

My main thoughts: 

Navani? Gavilar? Wow...

Flying boat things? I knew it!

Oooooh... Finally some stuff with the Sons of Honor? Took long enough!

Moash... My hate of you is intensifying.

Kaladin! *sobbing*

KALADIN!!! *sobbing*

ROCK! *sobbing*

Adolin, you're too storming pure and sweet and perfect. Thank you.

Nalthis? Scadrial? Taldain? WHAT'S GOING ON HERE, GHOSTBLOODS? WHAT DO YOU KNOW?

I love what's going on with Shallan, too. It's fascinating to read, and her relationship with Adolin is so interesting!

Oh... That's what you know, Ghostbloods... And more... TELL US EVERYTHING YOU KNOW!

I am loving this so so so much. And is it just me, or do the characters feel so much more... Real? They've always been excellent, but now they seem so much more like individuals. I have just a few chapters left until I'm done with part one. This is so good. And from what I've heard, it just gets better. I'm going to go and keep reading!

Some of my favorite quotes for so far from part one!

"They are your legacy. Treat them with care. They will define how you are remembered." (Yessss Navini. Also Hamilton vibes?)

"On and on she went, until each smile made her face feel as if it would crack." (NAvini noo)

"Heroism is a myth you tell idealistic young people–specifically when you want them to go bleed for you." (oof)

"We showed him." He almost killed me twice. "I didn't say what we showed him." (Syl is precious) 

"Like he was a painting hanging in a hallway, watching life stream past." (Kaladin Noooo)

"You've held yourself together in rougher winds than this. Breath deeply. It will pass." (Kaladin bb imma get you out of there)

"Freedom, if she was to seek it, would require ambition–in the right place." (Venli has facts)

I am so damn excited and super glad that we have these threads! Awesome idea, Chaos / whoever came up with this!

Soooo Part 1 really got me hyped about those Truthwatcher abilities. And how Renarin's corrupted / synthesized abilities might differ. That moment in chapter 8 when Renarin shows Moash his "parity" reminded me of Mistborn Augurs / Gold Allomancy. I'll go check if someone else has opened a thread on that already in a moment. RN I am too excited and just have to spill what comes to mind here haha. In general, I wondered how the Truthwatchers had obtained their name anyway when they were in fact not seeing things like the future. Maybe they simply see truths? I can't see how that is tied to their abilities. So, as I said, I am HYPED for that.

Another Big Moment for me was Rock's goodbye from Kaladin. It was short, simple, and intense.

Personal ramble: I noticed that I actually don't ship anything in SA, although I used to have some fandoms in which I'd ship people, and in which shipping was a huge part of fan culture. And I noticed/remembered/thought that there can be such intense moments of emotional bonding between two characters that shipping would ruin the whole thing. Because you can declare your devotion to someone, and it means a lot, without any erotic stuff thrown in there. That is really the best moments. LOTR is another great example for these kinds of relationships I think.

On 11/17/2020 at 4:44 PM, Mistborn Surgebinder said:

"That's because Wit is an asshole." - Zahel

New favorite line from any book, ever. 

Yes

Just finished part 1 before work. 5 more hours then I can read all weekend.  Can't wait. .

So- part 1 -

Little weird that it ended on a snuggle rather than the usual mic drop.

Moash- well, my red line in the sand was Jezrien, so nothing this cat would do will surprise  me.  The whole give your pain to Odium gimmick is the total abrogation and repudiation of personal responsibility.  I don't know how it was for the fused, if they were losing because of superior numbers or what. That's another thread, all I know is I don't like it and can't respect it.

Chapters 10 and 12 i think? Anyways Kal and Rock? Hurts the feels man. 

I must be too much of a windrunner cuz I roll my eyes whenever shallan, especially Veil is on screen.  Wish she'd fmgo full Ghostbloods or break it off. She's really been a horrible human to Jasnah. 

Not liking Dalinar terribly atm. Despite everything he knows still a total monarchist. Of course a high-prince would be the perfect envoy. I guess I'm a little bitter that Shallan can have 56 personalities and be crazy as a bat and it's cool while Kal is out out to pasture, let's be honest, the whole ambassador thing is a dog and pony show. I guess Dal was hoping he'd be recruitment lord or whatever. It's pretty obvious that no one on the general staff takes him seriously. Like, yeah, guy did some great things but just one soldier.  I find it pretty laughable that they think they are gonna plug and play , co-opt windrunners with no drop off in combat capability, of the windrunners.

Really hoping during the attack on the tower Kal swears the 4th, punching through the suppression, giving navani time to wake up the sibling. It would be a real triumph of the discounted and forgotten.   

On 11/25/2020 at 6:18 PM, Wind_Breaker said:

And I noticed/remembered/thought that there can be such intense moments of emotional bonding between two characters that shipping would ruin the whole thing. Because you can declare your devotion to someone, and it means a lot, without any erotic stuff thrown in there.

I'm sorry, I don't understand - do you think all shipping is erotic?

So, I ahve finshed the entire book, but don't worry, I'm not going to spoil anything, but did anyone else read those first 100 or so pages and raise an eyerbow for the extremely long fight scene? I legit couldn't help thinking, 'this is still going'? I enjoyed it either way, but I can't shake the feeling that the beginning was too drawn out.

Some of my thoughts from Part One:

Ah, so the Ghostbloods are planning on transporting/selling cars stormlight across the cosmere! Still, I feel like there has to be more to it than that. But also, YES, FINALLY, MORE GHOSTBLOODS. 

The effects of the metals used in fabrial creation seem similar to Allomancy... 

Nooooo Rock don’t leave whyyyyyy :( 

Adolin is a gemheart and I love him. 

When there are all these references to the expedition in Aimia but you haven’t read Dawnshard yet.

I’m glad that The Three (is this the correct way to refer to them?) have found a balance and seem to be doing okay, but I’m still worried about them. 

*hugs Kal*

*hugs Kal even more*

I’m liking how RoW seems to be more character focused than OB, hoping that it continues. 

Edited by Ookla the Ethereal

• 4 weeks later...

I've gotta say my biggest takeaway is how frustrated I am that there's hundreds of radiants running (or flying) around.  It just doesn't feel special anymore.  Everything that Kal did and worked for...yet someone like Gaz has a spren?  I understand you need to be broken to form a bond, but this is just a part of the stormlight archive I really can't get behind.

As an Adolin fan I've been waiting for him to potentially say the words or revive Maya and how epic that would be - considering everyone close to him is a radiant.  Now it's just more embarrassing than anything.  Hang out with a  radiant for a month or two and get your own spren.  Can't get behind that at all.

• Jofwu unpinned this topic