Hello everyone

BobbyZee

Heya everyone, brand new Sanderson fan here. I started reading Sanderson somewhere in september 2020, I began with The Way of Kings, then after a 15 minute break from my first Sanderlanche I went straight on to Words of Radiance, finished the Edgedancer this morning and now I'm on chapter 4 of Warbreaker with Oathbringer and Dawnshard already bought and ready in my reading queue... meaning I pretty much didn't read anything else but Sanderson these past few months (I managed to squeeze in one Joe Abercrombie, but that's about it), and being a dad and having a job, that's really something for me. However, surfing the internet and looking for high res maps and various Cosmere tidbits during these last few months I see that this kind of obsession with Sanderson's works isn't really a rare thing. Anyway, I'm glad I found this forum and just wanted to say hello to the community. Stay safe, enjoy Rhythm of War tomorrow, and I hope I'll join you in Stormlight discussions with RoW finished as soon as possible!

1 minute ago, BobbyZee said:

Heya everyone, brand new Sanderson fan here. I started reading Sanderson somewhere in september 2020, I began with The Way of Kings, then after a 15 minute break from my first Sanderlanche I went straight on to Words of Radiance, finished the Edgedancer this morning and now I'm on chapter 4 of Warbreaker with Oathbringer and Dawnshard already bought and ready in my reading queue... meaning I pretty much didn't read anything else but Sanderson these past few months (I managed to squeeze in one Joe Abercrombie, but that's about it), and being a dad and having a job, that's really something for me. However, surfing the internet and looking for high res maps and various Cosmere tidbits during these last few months I see that this kind of obsession with Sanderson's works isn't really a rare thing. Anyway, I'm glad I found this forum and just wanted to say hello to the community. Stay safe, enjoy Rhythm of War tomorrow, and I hope I'll join you in Stormlight discussions with RoW finished as soon as possible!

Hi there! Welcome to the Shard! I’m glad you joined! It’s good that you have started the Stormlight Archive, because of RoW. Are you reading the preview chapters? I’m not. What is your favorite Sanderson book so far?

Thanks Bearer! I'm not reading the preview chapters since I'm still an Oathbringer away from the RoW, but as soon as I'm done with OB and Dawnshard I'll start RoW. As for my favorite Sanderson book so far it has to be The Way of Kings, and my fav character so far is Shallan, with Szeth and Jasnah as close seconds. I still have yet to see where the story goes in OB so the stuff I wrote here might change.

2 minutes ago, BobbyZee said:

Thanks Bearer! I'm not reading the preview chapters since I'm still an Oathbringer away from the RoW, but as soon as I'm done with OB and Dawnshard I'll start RoW. As for my favorite Sanderson book so far it has to be The Way of Kings, and my fav character so far is Shallan, with Szeth and Jasnah as close seconds. I still have yet to see where the story goes in OB so the stuff I wrote here might change.

The Way of Kings is also my favorite!!! I am bonk I like Rock the best, but I love all the characters!

1 minute ago, AonEne said:

Welcome to the Shard! If you're looking for good maps, we recently released one you might want to check out... 

Yep, that map is great. 

14 minutes ago, Cosmical Existence said:

Hi! Seeing your speed of reading, the first thing that popped up in my head was, "Finally! A worthy advisory!" :P 

Welcome to the Shard! I'm certain you are going to like it here. 

It really is fast, I kinda surprised myself there :) I don't usually burn through books so fast but goddammit, Sanderson is good and I can't help it. I read before sleep, in the bathroom (yes, I admit) and an occasional 12-hour night shift also helps a lot :) 

My wife was like "What are you reading?"

I said "Remember that guy I told you about, Sanderson, the one that finished The Wheel of Time and wrote another fifty novels since?".

She said "I remember, but you said you don't want to commit to reading his stuff". 

"Yes, well... I just finished his second doorstopper."

"Oh, ok. So he's good?"

"Yes. Yes he is."

"Cool. Just don't forget to feed our children."

Welcome, welcome BobbyZee so happy to have you come join us! A new fan as well, boy have you stuck the goldmine :D I can definitely feel you on the not reading anything else (I mean do we really even need anything else?) I feel like I would be content just looping Sanderson novels into eternity!

Yes a Sanderson Obsession (clinically SO) is actually quite a normal and curable disease. The fix actually happens to be reading more Sanderson if you can believe it or not. One of those reverse psychology things :P Lol we all feel you on that so you are in the perfect spot! So awesome that you happened to find us as well (although we may need to update our camouflage then) the Shard is an amazing place full of awesome work!

Oh and reading every single chance you get in every single spot you can is actually a quite common side effect of SO I can completely feel you there! The books are absolutely amazing!  But yes, I would agree making sure the kids stay fed might be just a tad bit more important (or maybe just tangentially important :P). How did you first get introduced to Sanderson?

On 11/17/2020 at 4:01 AM, Scout_Fox said:

How did you first get introduced to Sanderson?

I forgot the details but I suspect that it was probably last year through a few booktubers that I subscribed to, particularly Daniel Greene and Merphy Napier. I firmly decided not to read him because of a huge number of books he wrote for Cosmere and I'm a kind of completionist, so it would be a huge commitment. However, this summer I was about to finish Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy and I needed something new to dive into. And then it happened that I ran into The Way of Kings ebook on Amazon and the price was iirc discounted to $4, so I thought oh well, let's do it. At first I wasn't immediately sucked in, but then I watched a few interviews with Sanderson, and in one he said that he asks his new readers to trust him and be patient, and that it's all about journey before destination. So I decided not to hurry but just relax and enjoy and treat it like a marathon, not a sprint to the book's end. I read slowly and carefully and immersed myself in Roshar, and then gradually it stuck to my mind in a way I couldn't unstick it anymore :)  

1 minute ago, BobbyZee said:

I forgot the details but I suspect that it was probably last year through a few booktubers that I subscribed to, particularly Daniel Greene and Merphy Napier. I firmly decided not to read him because of a huge number of books he wrote for Cosmere and I'm a kind of completionist, so it would be a huge commitment. However, this summer I was about to finish Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy and I needed something new to dive into. And then it happened that I ran into The Way of Kings ebook on Amazon and the price was iirc discounted to $4, so I thought oh well, let's do it. At first I wasn't immediately sucked in, but then I watched a few interviews with Sanderson, and in one he said that he asks his new readers to trust him and be patient, and that it's all about journey before destination. So I decided not to hurry but just relax and enjoy and treat it like a marathon, not a sprint to the book's end. I read slowly and carefully and immersed myself in Roshar, and then gradually it stuck to my mind in a way I couldn't unstick it anymore :)  

Awesome! I remember my first book of his, also WoK, and it took me a while to get into it. But when I finished, I was obsessed and flew throught WoR, O, And I finished RoW yesterday.

That is quite the way to get into it! I can definitely understand, if you knew about the Cosmere beforehand that could be quite daunting. Hey for $4 though why not give it a shot that's awesome! :D

So happy you stuck with it and gave it a chance too even after irgnally not being so enraptured. Relaxing and taking it easy is the perfect way to do it! And man, once you do get hooked on it I agree I don't even know if it is possible to be unhooked! So happy to have you stuck on it and here to join us!

Edited by Scout_Fox