What is a COMMAND?

Child of Hodor

COMMAND may be more than the order, it may also be command as in mastery. The Shard or Intent is the power and the Command is the will and understanding to use that power to it's potential. 

2athe ability to control MASTERY

I think these COMMANDS were once a part of Adonalsium, aspects of his cognition. His will to use and understanding of his power. They somehow became separate from him before the Shattering and were used against him in the Shattering.  It could be that his emotions were somehow lodged in the Dawnshard because they were used to Shatter him, but I think it fits better if they were a part of him first and then used to rip him apart. 

46 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

COMMAND may be more than the order, it may also be command as in mastery. The Shard or Intent is the power and the Command is the will and understanding to use that power to it's potential. 

I think these COMMANDS were once a part of Adonalsium, aspects of his cognition. His will to use and understanding of his power. They somehow became separate from him before the Shattering and were used against him in the Shattering.  It could be that his emotions were somehow lodged in the Dawnshard because they were used to Shatter him, but I think it fits better if they were a part of him first and then used to rip him apart. 

Interesting theory with merit. Personally I disagree, I think it is said that Adonalsium created the Dawnshards. I think he created them as separate entities from himself that he could use, and they were just used against him.

My take:

The Commands that Adonalsium used in Creation were so powerful, they became large collections of Investiture by their very use. Spontaneously formed Spirit Webs created by the complexity of the Surgebinding Adonalsium used to Create the Cosmere. Their creation and existence might have been silent enough as to not even get Adonalsium's attention. They were found by others, possible led in much the same way Rysn was. Large collections of Investiture eventually gain some measure of self-awareness, and this is evident from the Dawnshard Change talking to Rysn as she approaches.

Narratively, I think this separation between Adonalsium and the Commands is interesting, necessary and fits within the framework of the Cosmere.