Realistic DRAGON Wingspans

Aspiring Writer

17 hours ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

so... like celebrant the just in dragonwatch by brandon mull

Well unless he got a huge upgrade for Champions of the Titan games, which I have not read so don't say anything, you are slightly overselling his abilities, I mean he only has two forms that's not quite shapeshifting.

On 12/18/2020 at 8:25 PM, Frustration said:

Well unless he got a huge upgrade for Champions of the Titan games, which I have not read so don't say anything, you are slightly overselling his abilities, I mean he only has two forms that's not quite shapeshifting.

I was talking about the other powers; lots  of weapons.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:22 PM, Hoid the Drifter said:

simple answer to your dilemma: Spren bond to dragons the same way they bond to rhyshadiums

They don't; dragons are native to Yolen and spren cannot leave Roshar.

But I don't think Aspire's dragon is cosmere anyway.

2 hours ago, Matrim’s Dice said:

They don't; dragons are native to Yolen and spren cannot leave Roshar.

But I don't think Aspire's dragon is cosmere anyway.

I don't think he was saying Dragons do have spren bonds, just to give them spren bonds of some sort. And yeah, not Cosmere, though my universe does have it own version of spren and bonds.

1 hour ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I don't think he was saying Dragons do have spren bonds, just to give them spren bonds of some sort. And yeah, not Cosmere, though my universe does have it own version of spren and bonds.

you're right; i was not saying such a thing.

however, if you have a version of these bonds, my suggestion works.

48 minutes ago, Condensation said:

Well, I can't wait to read more.

Oh, @Mist, weren't you drawing dragons? Why not try one with a realistic wingspan? :P

yes please, I need more art of this. 

Also, I'm putting my ideas for magic systems and creatures in creators corner for advice and ideas, so you'll be able to get more in that regard. Still a long way from writing it, still have a lot more research.

• 1 month later...

On 11/16/2020 at 10:42 AM, Trutharchivist said:

I don't know anything about the wingspan that should make flying possible, but I've heard of a book called Flight of Dragons that is about it's physical possibility. It's probably not really all that much scientific, but it's still interesting.

I hope this isn't considered a necro, but I have read Flight of Dragons (it actually was one of my favorite movies as a kid, and the book was one of the first fantasy novels I read.)  How it is explained there is that Dragons eat limestone which interacts with stomach acid to produce hydrogen which then helps with lift, and also is the source of their fire.  Interestingly, in this system, the more fire breathing they do, the less they are able to fly.

Yes there is some hand waving with the involved science, but it is a neat way to get around the wing size issue.  Interestingly, in the cartoon, Dragons have more rounded body shapes to account for the hydrogen fill, especially when they are getting ready for take off.