Who betrayed Nikki

Elsecaller_17.5

Here's a quote I haven't seen anayzed yet. Nikki explaining to Rysn why he left his "village."

“I was betrayed,” he finally said, “by someone I trusted. Soon after, one of us was needed to go to Thaylenah—my people, though small, like to know what is happening in the great nations of the world. I volunteered. So I wouldn’t have to be around the one who had treated me so.”

So much of what he said was true, his people being small and liking to know about the wider world.  Just in general Nikki seems like the kind of guy who doesn't lie unless he has too.  I'm sure it has to be one of the Sleepless probaly one of the 20 that still protect the Dawnshard as he wouldn't see the others.  I'm rereading Dawnshar dright now and just got to this quote so I might add as I continue reading.

9 hours ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

I'm sure it has to be one of the Sleepless probaly one of the 20 that still protect the Dawnshard as he wouldn't see the others.

I mean, we have no idea when the "true traitors" did their true traitoring, could be it happened after Nikli was Separated. I mean, we don't even know how many there are (could be two or could be three), if they were working together or separately (so one could have gone traitor centuries before the other(s) or have different goals), why they're considered traitors, etc. 

49 minutes ago, Karger said:

This is just my take but I think he is referring to what "birth" must be like to a Sleepless.  The process might feel a lot like being ostracized from your safe community and thrown into the wide world on your own.

Is Nikli that young though?

He could just have a different sense of time due to immortality, but it doesn’t feel like it in this case

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 11:29 PM, Eternal Khol said:

Is Nikli that young though?

He could just have a different sense of time due to immortality, but it doesn’t feel like it in this case

It's been a hot minute since I read Dawnshard, but I seem to remember Nikli is one of the youngest Sleepless, and is somewhere around 400 years old. I can't remember if that was in the novel or a WoB somewhere.

Edit: He's definitely the youngest, still not sure where I got the 400 number.

LewsTherinTelescope

I'm curious - they said there's 20 Sleepless working together in this group. Can you give a (possibly rough) estimate of how many Sleepless are on Roshar, in that one group or not?

Brandon Sanderson

Nikli is the youngest (and the twenty-fourth) swarm on Roshar. Originally there was only one Swarm on Roshar. All the rest came from it.

Dawnshard Annotations Reddit Q&A (Nov. 6, 2020)

Edited by Govir
WoB evidence

8 hours ago, Govir said:

Edit: He's definitely the youngest, still not sure where I got the 400 number.

That's because he said he sailed with Longbrow, who was "400 years dead". So he's at least older than that, even though he's the youngest. 

On 11/14/2020 at 9:36 PM, Karger said:

This is just my take but I think he is referring to what "birth" must be like to a Sleepless.  The process might feel a lot like being ostracized from your safe community and thrown into the wide world on your own.

I absolutely LOVE this take, btw. It fits perfectly and explains why they so rarely reproduce. Might also explain the "traitors" if we really think about it.