Oathbringer - Post #5 - Questions Upon First Reread - Chapter 49 to Chapter 82

This_Is_Samer

Hi Everyone,

I am continuing my first reread of Oathbringer and trying to ask any questions I still can't find answers for, here on this subreddit. This is the last part (Part #5)

Four previous posts gave me some much insight, so I am encouraged to keep posting similar topics :)

The links to the previous question posts are below:

Ch 83 to Epilogue: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/92532-oathbringer-questions-from-chapters-83-to-the-epilogue-33-questions/?do=findComment&comment=1099577

Prologue to Ch 18: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/92700-oathbringer-questions-upon-first-reread-prologue-to-chapter-18-33-questions/?do=findComment&comment=1102910

Ch 19 to Interlude 3: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/92745-questions-upon-first-reread-chapter-19-to-interlude-3-end-of-part-1-33-questions/?do=findComment&comment=1104220

Ch 33 to Ch 48: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/92908-oathbringer-spoilers-questions-upon-first-reread-chapter-33-to-chapter-48-30-questions/#comment-1113038

Questions for this part:

1- When Moash is being led by the Fused to the camp with the other parshmen, the Fused treat some parshmen very badly. When Moash asks for the reason, he is told this is because they worshipped a "false god". Who do they mean?

2- During Dalinar's first meeting with Odium in the vision, Odium asks him to release him from his bond? / oath?. Why is dalianr theoretically able to release Odium?

3- Why couldn't Odium see Lift in Dalinar's vision?

4- Did Taravangian end up sending Malata's spren to spy on Dalinar as he proclaimed he would?

5- In one of the gems in the Urithiru library, it says: "As a Stoneward, I spent my entire life looking to sacrifice myself. I secretly worry that is the cowardly way. The easy way out". Do we know who is this Stoneward?

6- If Aesudan was taken over by the Unmade, why did she want to execute the parshmen? What is the timeline on her decisions vs. her being taken over by the unmade?

7- Why weren't all spren corrupted in Kholinar? Shallan sees some regular glory spren there that weren't corrupted

8- How does Hoid conjure images without Lightweaving?

9- Who is the group that Hoid mentions to Shallan he used to know and that reminded him of the Cult of Moments?

10- Azure tells Kaladin that she already met Hoid once before he brought them the aluminum sheets to shield their soulcasting chamber. Was it in Warbreaker? If so, what are the details?

11- Why does Azure's shardblade turn the skin of the killed ashen-grey without burning their eyes?

12- When Adolin saves the guards trapped behind the door in the castle in Kholinar, they tell him they have only been captive for a few days because they ate only a couple times, while Adolin says they have been there for weeks. How did they survive without enough food?

13- During the battle of Kholinar, Adolin hears a voice in his head telling him "Sweet Passion". Is that the same voice that Shallan heard while she was on the platform with the Cult of Moments near the oathgate? Was that an unmade? Which one if so?

14- Kaladin was able to kill a voidspren with Syl during the Kholinar battle. Is this something usually possible - for a spren to be killed with a Knight's Radiant shardblade?

15- Aesudan mentions to Elhokar that Gavilar was able to find one of the ancient spren but couldn't bind it. Do we know more details about this?

16- How is Shallan able to repel the black heart from the oathgate in Kholinar?

17- Why is Sja-Anat more friendly than other Unmade towards humans?

18- Sja-Anat tells Shallan that she touched the spren of the oathgate. What did that entail? Were Shallan, Kaladin, Adolin and Azure supposed to be transferred to Shadesmar? What was the deal with this plan by Sja-Anat? / Odium? / the Fused??

51 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

1- When Moash is being led by the Fused to the camp with the other parshmen, the Fused treat some parshmen very badly. When Moash asks for the reason, he is told this is because they worshipped a "false god". Who do they mean?

The parshmen that are being treated badly are the parshmen that Kaladin travelled with, and Syl is the "false god"

2- During Dalinar's first meeting with Odium in the vision, Odium asks him to release him from his bond? / oath?. Why is dalianr theoretically able to release Odium?

Because Dalinar is bonded to the Stormfather, the largest remaining piece of Honor's power

3- Why couldn't Odium see Lift in Dalinar's vision?

Probably something to do with Lift's boon from Cultivation

4- Did Taravangian end up sending Malata's spren to spy on Dalinar as he proclaimed he would?

Yes, that's how he found out about the highking business.

5- In one of the gems in the Urithiru library, it says: "As a Stoneward, I spent my entire life looking to sacrifice myself. I secretly worry that is the cowardly way. The easy way out". Do we know who is this Stoneward?

A Radiant who is now dead.

6- If Aesudan was taken over by the Unmade, why did she want to execute the parshmen? What is the timeline on her decisions vs. her being taken over by the unmade?

She was never taken over by the unmade, she was just evil to begin with.

7- Why weren't all spren corrupted in Kholinar? Shallan sees some regular glory spren there that weren't corrupted

Probably because Sja-anat couldn't find all of them. There are a lot of spren, and only one Sja-anat.

8- How does Hoid conjure images without Lightweaving?

He uses magic from the planet he comes from.

9- Who is the group that Hoid mentions to Shallan he used to know and that reminded him of the Cult of Moments?

I don't know.

10- Azure tells Kaladin that she already met Hoid once before he brought them the aluminum sheets to shield their soulcasting chamber. Was it in Warbreaker? If so, what are the details?

I don't believe that she interacted with Hoid in Warbreaker, although I could be wrong.

11- Why does Azure's shardblade turn the skin of the killed ashen-grey without burning their eyes?

(Warbreaker spoilers)

Spoiler

It is an awakened blade similar to Nightblood, although much less dangerous, so while it functions and looks similar to a Rosharan Shardblade, there are boubd to be differences.

12- When Adolin saves the guards trapped behind the door in the castle in Kholinar, they tell him they have only been captive for a few days because they ate only a couple times, while Adolin says they have been there for weeks. How did they survive without enough food?

I would guess that there is some kind of time dilation caused by the heart of the revel.

13- During the battle of Kholinar, Adolin hears a voice in his head telling him "Sweet Passion". Is that the same voice that Shallan heard while she was on the platform with the Cult of Moments near the oathgate? Was that an unmade? Which one if so?

Yes it was an unmade, the heart of the revel, whose name I cannot remember right now.

14- Kaladin was able to kill a voidspren with Syl during the Kholinar battle. Is this something usually possible - for a spren to be killed with a Knight's Radiant shardblade?

I don't know if it is traditionally possible, but I don't think it was highly unusual. It makes sense, a shardblade can cut a normal human's soul, so non-sapient spren are bound to have less or similar levels of investiture.

15- Aesudan mentions to Elhokar that Gavilar was able to find one of the ancient spren but couldn't bind it. Do we know more details about this?

I believe that the black spren that Gavilar gave to Szeth had a voidspren trapped inside of it.

16- How is Shallan able to repel the black heart from the oathgate in Kholinar?

She wasn't. The black heart retreated on purpose in order to lure Shallan into attempting to use the oathgate, killing all of them. (I explain in question 18)

17- Why is Sja-Anat more friendly than other Unmade towards humans?

Because she seems to be attempting to defect from Odium to side with the humans.

18- Sja-Anat tells Shallan that she touched the spren of the oathgate. What did that entail? Were Shallan, Kaladin, Adolin and Azure supposed to be transferred to Shadesmar? What was the deal with this plan by Sja-Anat? / Odium? / the Fused??

Sja-anat corrupted the spren, similar to how the spren in the city were corrupted. This gives her influence over them, and the plan was for the Radiants to attempt to use the oathgate, and have the corrupted spren of the oathgate, instead of transporting them, kill them all.

1. They 'harbored a false god' is what they're being punished for; it's the group that Kaladin found early in the book. The singers basically treat Radiants and the Fused both as gods.

2. Dalinar is a Bondsmith and he's bonded to the Stormfather, who not only represents the largest single chunk of Honor's power but is also a fusion of the original spren and Tanavast's Cognitive Shadow. Those things combine to give him the ability to essentially speak as though he were Honor, for at least this specific purpose.

3. It's implied to be related to Lift's boon/curse, which is itself implied to be something she got from Cultivation directly rather than the Nightwatcher. Her condition is weird and we know she asked for something the Nightwatcher would find puzzling in similar ways to Dalinar asking for 'forgiveness' or (very strongly assumed) Taravangian asking for 'capacity' did. All three of these people have unusual boons/curses.

4. Not sure if it's confirmed, but presumably he did.

5. Not a clue, odds are we'll never learn exactly who most of those ancient Radiants were.

6. We know she was being influenced before she became Yelig-nar's host but we don't have a timeframe. Considering how Odium and the Fused treat the singers as expendable, the fact that Aesudan ordered the city's parshmen executed doesn't really mean much.

7. Presumably it takes time and effort to corrupt a spren, so it's not going to happen all at once. We really don't know what this corruption does to the spren aside from changing their appearance so it's hard to come up with theories, though we know that the Radiants of old considered it to be a Very Bad Sign.

8. He has Lightweaving of his own but it's not fully functional. Brandon has said that he's guiding Shallan's powers in their Oathbringer interactions.

9. Hoid knows so many people, we really can't say...

10. Hoid and Vivenna don't meet in Warbreaker (though Siri meets him) so this presumably happened sometime after that story.

11. Her sword is an Awakened weapon like Nightblood, but not as dangerous. The color-draining is similar to the effect of something becoming a Lifeless.

12. We don't know. Possibly they've eaten more frequently than they remember and their wits are being scrambled about that as well as the passage of time. When there's not one, not two but three eldritch abominations running around in the city, things are undoubtedly going to get just a little screwy.

13. Possibly, again with three Unmade around things are kind of weird.

14. Brandon mentioned well before OB that a Shardblade can theoretically kill a spren but it probably doesn't happen often. More likely what typically happens is that a shardblade damages their soul but doesn't kill them and you have to hit them just right. We know for example that at Shardblade won't permanently kill the Fused, since Brandon has said that Nightblood did truly kill that one thunderclast and this isn't something Odium or the Fused are used to dealing with.

15. Not yet, but it's tbeen heorized that one of those black gems he had was imprisoning an Unmade.

16. She didn't, really, Ashtermarn seems to have been baiting the infiltration team, fleeing in order to give them an opening to use the Oathgate (which Odium knew wouldn't work properly). Whether Ashtermarn did that on his own or was ordered to is uinclear, but there's evidence that he's more intelligent than Hessi gave him credit for.

17. We don't know.

18. The idea was that the corrupted Oathgate would kill them when they tried to use it. Sja-anat says that she'd try to work things so that it didn't kill them, which happened via dumping the team into Shadesmar instead.

33 minutes ago, Nameless said:

Yes, that's how he found out about the highking business.

Amazing! Is this mentioned somewhere / WoB?

34 minutes ago, Nameless said:

She was never taken over by the unmade, she was just evil to begin with.

Haha she is indeed! But when she swallowed the gemstone wasn't she taken over by an unmade? Same as what happened to Amaram?

35 minutes ago, Nameless said:

I would guess that there is some kind of time dilation caused by the heart of the revel.

Wow. This is interesting. Hope we know more about this is RoW

35 minutes ago, Weltall said:

14. Brandon mentioned well before OB that a Shardblade can theoretically kill a spren but it probably doesn't happen often. More likely what typically happens is that a shardblade damages their soul but doesn't kill them and you have to hit them just right. We know for example that at Shardblade won't permanently kill the Fused, since Brandon has said that Nightblood did truly kill that one thunderclast and this isn't something Odium or the Fused are used to dealing with.

So in this case, Nightblood is "stronger" than any shardblade / honorblade on Roshar? What do you think?

27 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

Amazing! Is this mentioned somewhere / WoB?

No, but it's the only way that makes sense. The only other people who knew about it were in the inner Kholin circle.

27 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

Haha she is indeed! But when she swallowed the gemstone wasn't she taken over by an unmade? Same as what happened to Amaram?

Sbe wasn't taken over at the time she ordered all the parshmen to be executed, and I don't think that Yelig-nar takes over your mind when you bond with it. It just grants access to all ten surges, and kills you slowly.

1 hour ago, This_Is_Samer said:

So in this case, Nightblood is "stronger" than any shardblade / honorblade on Roshar? What do you think?

Oh, we've known this for quite some time:

Questioner

If Nightblood was on Roshar—for whatever reason—would it be a Shardblade essentially, like would it func--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. They are exactly the same thing. [...] Nightblood is indeed a Shardblade, basically the exact same thing. Though he is a Shardblade that is twisted and he is a lot more powerful than your standard.

Words of Radiance San Francisco signing (March 6, 2014)

Elsewhere Brandon has described Nightblood as being 'far beyond' a Shardblade in terms of how Invested it is (and resistant to other forms of Investiture) and that it's one of the most heavily Invested things in the Cosmere that isn't a Shard.