Too Much

Config2

Just finished the Novella. 

This was too much information, not just on a Roshar scale, but a cosmere scale. Why is this a novella? Seems like we got the ostensible answers to:

1. How Adonalsium was killed
  2. What the Dawnshards are
  3. The sleepless - their activities in general
  4. Larkins
  5. The scouring of Aimia
  6. Yalb (kinda weird to put some random dude in the same category as how God was killed)
  7. Windrunner Third Ideal Deep Dive
  8. The Sighted (Horneaters)
  9. Luck Spren fixing the mass problem (and by extension, how Rock drew the shardbow)
  10. Definitely more that I am missing.

We are missing a lot of smaller details to these answers, but the general overarching questions are partially answered.

This is way more than we usually get; pretty much the most information we got about the inner workings of the Cosmere since Secret History. 

Some of this stuff seems so important that I'd be surprised if they don't have to explicitly repeat it in a future Stormlight book.

What do other people think; is this too much information? Or did we just get the hanging ends of all these questions?

Note: This isn't a strict complaint, just an observation.

I think Branderson is smart to use novellas for big info dumps like this. His large epics have enough going on without having to take time to introduce and explain every Cosmere concept. As the Cosmere opens up and more things need to be known to truly enjoy the stories, using short stories and novellas (some mixed into the larger novels as he does with SA) to get those things out there is helpful to the readers and does great service to the stories themselves.

17 hours ago, Config2 said:

Just finished the Novella. 

This was too much information, not just on a Roshar scale, but a cosmere scale. Why is this a novella? Seems like we got the ostensible answers to:

1. How Adonalsium was killed
  2. What the Dawnshards are
  3. The sleepless - their activities in general
  4. Larkins
  5. The scouring of Aimia
  6. Yalb (kinda weird to put some random dude in the same category as how God was killed)
  7. Windrunner Third Ideal Deep Dive
  8. The Sighted (Horneaters)
  9. Luck Spren fixing the mass problem (and by extension, how Rock drew the shardbow)
  10. Definitely more that I am missing.

We are missing a lot of smaller details to these answers, but the general overarching questions are partially answered.

This is way more than we usually get; pretty much the most information we got about the inner workings of the Cosmere since Secret History. 

Some of this stuff seems so important that I'd be surprised if they don't have to explicitly repeat it in a future Stormlight book.

What do other people think; is this too much information? Or did we just get the hanging ends of all these questions?

Note: This isn't a strict complaint, just an observation.

You said it yourself: since Secret History. And the first time we really delved deep into identity was the Emperor’s Soul. The novellas are the info dumps.