Coup (the game)

Chasmgoat

Hi, Several people have been interested so I am making this. This is the game "Coup". It is a lot of fun and we will be playing it here on the forums.

Rules:

Spoiler

The goal of the game: Be the last person with influence (cards) left.   ADVICE: don't reveal what you have at the start. keep your cards a secret. however, it is also unwise to lie everytime.

There are 5 types of cards; Duke, Contessa, assassin, Ambassador, Captain. I will give these out through a PM.
I will use PM's to do some things like the ambassador's exchange with court deck ability and give people their new cards.

You take your turns in order (will be put below once game starts)

On your turn you may take a action. Each Card has their own actions. 

Actions:

Free actions: these are actions that any player can make regardless of cards. They are 1. Income: take 1 coin. 2. foreign exchange: take 2 coins blockable by duke 3. Coup: pay 7 coins to make any player lose a card unblockable

Duke: tax: take 3 coins. Block: can block foreign aid

Contessa: Block: can block assassination

Assassin: Assassinate: pay 3 coins and choose 1 player to turn over a card of their choice. blockable by contessa

Ambassador: exchange with court deck: get two cards from the deck and add them to your hand, keep two, and put the other two into the deck. (if you only have 1 card, you cannot trade out your dead card) block: blocks stealing

Captain: steal: can steal 2 coins from any player. block: can block stealing

Additional information on actions: only the player targeted by the assassination can use a contessa to block it.

you can lie about your card. What this means is you can pretend to have the duke and take 3 coins even if you do not have the duke.

This is risky since someone can challenge a player if they do an action as a role. If you are challenged and do not have the card, you lose a card of your choice. If you are challenged and do have the card, you reveal it and get a new card from the deck and the person who challenged you loses a card of their choice. beware of high risk challenges (These are challenges that can make you lose two cards.) you cannot lie on a challenge

Examples include: 

player 1: as assassin, I pay three coins to kill you @player 2 

player 2: I block as contessa (this is a lie, they do not have contessa)

player 1: I challenge that

player 2 then loses a card to the challenge and a card to the assassin.

another example is 

player 1: as assassin, I pay three coins to kill you @player 2 

player 2: I challenge your assassin

player 2 loses a card to the challenge (since they had an assassin) and a card to the assassin.

Coins: If a player has 10 or more coins, they must coup. If they got to the limit on that turn however, they must coup on their next turn.

I think that is all the rules. (I am doing this from memory)

VERY important rule, There are only a certain amount of each card in the deck, normally there are 3 of each so if 2 dukes are dead and you have one you know there are no more and can catch someone who is bluffing. I may change the amount of cards.

Format:

Spoiler

Actions/blocking in green

Challenges in red

And Questions in aqua or blue

normal conversations in default color (and yes, you can have them. So stuff like, hey [someone] this guy will win if you don't do this help me kill him, but please be nice and don't gang up on someone please)

Also, put (in bold), "As ___" when doing an action/block and when doing a challenge put "I challenge your ____" this is to make the game smoother.

Please at the end of a post when you do a challenge or action include how many cards you have left and how many coins you currently have.

Players and order: (signups end Saturday? maybe)

Role Quick review:

Spoiler

5fad4adc32c07_Coupabilities.thumb.jpg.daa0c9b0d7f23c31344273891599e2dc.jpg

I think that is all.

Also, to the people who have played this before, can you help people follow the rules? I am not going to be on at all times and so I may not be able to all by myself.

If anyone has questions, please ask them!

oh, and @Condensation @Wind @Aspiring Writer @Hentient @Shard of Reading @HoidWasTaken you people sounded interested.

if this works out well, I may make another that includes an expansion pack (it is fun and includes alliances and a new role) I am not doing it now because I have not played with it in a long time. 

Edited by Chasmgoat

1 hour ago, Chasmgoat said:

if this works out well, I may make another that includes an expansion pack (it is fun and includes alliances and a new role) I am not doing it now because I have not played with it in a long time. 

If I remember correctly it was a version of the ambassador. It nerf's the ambassador's exchange ability, but it also allows you to investigate other people's cards.

4 minutes ago, Shard of Reading said:

If I remember correctly it was a version of the ambassador. It nerf's the ambassador's exchange ability, but it also allows you to investigate other people's cards.

Yeah, but you also keep the ambassador. I think it is called something along the lines of inquisitor

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
3 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

either works.

Ok also I think this page is glitched because Experience hasn't been on in a while and he's still recently brousing

Before we begin to play, I would like to warn you that I've likely logged over 24 hours playing this game. (Which is a lot given that this game usually take 15 minutes to play.) It is possible that I have the best theoretical understanding of the strategy behind this game. (But there is no way in heck that I am the best player. :P)