Rysn's Relevance to the wider Cosmere

Shardsplinter

Rysn just became a storming Dawnshard. So, my question is how import is her charachter going to be in the future?

We have a WoB saying that she never becomes a main charachter for Stormlight Archive.

Spoiler

Questioner

Will we see more of Rysn in the Stormlight Archive books?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. I plan to... She never becomes a main character. I plan to have an interlude with Rysn every time.

Questioner

She won't be out of the interludes?

Brandon Sanderson

No, she won't be, but I might write a novella with her. Like I did with Lift.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/402/#e13438

But we also have one that says there are some big plans for her future( what happened to her in this novel can't be all Brandon was thinking when he said this, more probably this is just the beginning)

Spoiler

Angrybread

I want Rysn to keep accidentally finding herself in ever increasingly plot-relevant situations until she just becomes a worldhopper by accident.

Ellarree

u/mistborn, please seriously consider this. It would be amazing.

Brandon Sanderson

I've got some plans for her. Saying anything more would be a RAFO.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/379/#e12841

What I'm thinking is that for the back 5 books she may step up to a more important role, but still mostly an Interlude charachter. Then she will make her main stage appearance somewhere else on the Cosmere Endgame( yes, I know there won't be an Avengers style finale for the Cosmere, but there wil be some kind of End Game, right?) So what do you think, are we witnessing Brandon's build up for a VIC or is this it for Rysn??

This WoB feels relevant:

Jory Michael Phillips

You feel as strongly about Dawnshard's relevance to the series as you did about Edgedancer?

Brandon Sanderson

It's a little of an odd duck, in that it's super relevant to the cosmere, but less so in relation to Stormlight. Unlike Lift, Rysn's story isn't directly intertwined with that of the main Stormlight characters.

Miscellaneous 2020 (Oct. 14, 2020)

As does this:

L0rdenglish

There's going to be more dawnshard stuff in the rest of the SA right? Like I couldnt bare it if you introduce this cool as hell concept of the literal words of creation, and then I have to wait like 10 years for more dawnshard goodness to show up.

So for the sake of my sanity can you just confirm that its not gonna be another decade before we hear/see more about them?

Brandon Sanderson

There will be more, but not much more in the first five.

Dawnshard Annotations Reddit Q&A (Nov. 9, 2020)