[DAWNSHARD SPOILERS] Rysn's RoW Interlude Prediction

Shardsplinter

So, Brandon has said that for this book Rysn's Interlude is from a different viewpoint, is very different and won't spoil the novel but it would be better to have read it.

Relevant WoBs on the matter spoilered for leanght:

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson

I will feel bad if the [Dawnshard] ebook isn't out by the time that Stormlight Four is. You don't have to have read that before this one; it's not hugely integrated, because it's about Rysn. But there are some things that happen, that you'll get to Book Four and be like, "Wait a minute, wait a minute. They're mentioning a trip to Aimia. What happened there?" That the novella would help you with. And then, when you get to the Rysn interlude in this book (which is a little different from previous Rysn interludes), I wrote it in such a way as to not spoil the novella, in case people hadn't read it yet. And so it's a very different sort of interlude. But you would appreciate having read the novella when you get to it, I suspect.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/430/#e13976

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson

You do not. I have written Rhythm of War in such a way that, if you haven't read this, you will not really be confused. There will be a few things where you're like, "Oh, that's probably what that's referencing." And if you read this after, it's not going to ruin either story.

I did something very specific with the Rysn interlude in Rhythm of War that allows us to preserve most of what happened in Dawnshard, so far, so that you will not have it spoiled when you get to that interlude. I've done something very different for that interlude, let's just say. And I did that because I hadn't written Dawnshard yet, when I wrote the Rysn interlude. In fact, it's the last thing I wrote for the book, was that interlude. And let's just say that interlude is from a different viewpoint. We'll just say that.

And references to what happened are in the story, but they're mostly kind of vague, because even most of the people in the main storyline don't know the specifics of what happened in the novella. It's kind of like what happened in Edgedancer, where what happened to Lift is not really generally understood and known by everyone else, because she was off on her own.

It is done. First draft is finished. It is The Lopen and Rysn.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/438/#e14257

With this information I believe that we will have a Chiri-Chiri Interlude. There's no direct evidence for this but I think it makes sense. We know it won't be from Rysn's PoV, but it will still feel like Rysn's Interlude and not some other charachter related to her( like Vstim or someone from her ship)

Also we learn in Dawnshard that larkins/lanceryns were the ancient guardians. This makes me think that Chiri-Chiri is much more sentient that what I initially suppoused or even Rysn thinks. It would be Brandon's MO to surprise us with her PoV.

Tl;dr Get ready to get inside the mind of a larkin

I would really like this theory to come true( Chiri-Chiri fan over here), but if someone else has another idea for the PoV on Rysn's RoW Interlude I would love to hear it.

Edited by Shardsplinter

11 minutes ago, IcaroRibeiro said:

After reading Dawnshard, I thought on a Nikli interlude 

This is what I thought. There's going to be something I'm sure about training Aimians in the art of disguising like humans, while at the same time having oblique references to protecting Rysn because of what she's become, but without referencing what she's become. If Brandon said outright that it was an Aimian interlude or a Nikli interlude, that would provide spoilers for Dawnshard and take away some of the tension of that book so he avoided talking about it. I can't see any reason why Brandon would be cagey about decalring a Chiri-Chiri interlude since that sounds whimsical, not spoilery (unless you've already read Dawnshard and know more. That being said, if it is a Chiri-Chiri viewpoint, that'd be fun.

1 hour ago, Crylorenzo said:

This is what I thought. There's going to be something I'm sure about training Aimians in the art of disguising like humans, while at the same time having oblique references to protecting Rysn because of what she's become, but without referencing what she's become. If Brandon said outright that it was an Aimian interlude or a Nikli interlude, that would provide spoilers for Dawnshard and take away some of the tension of that book so he avoided talking about it. I can't see any reason why Brandon would be cagey about decalring a Chiri-Chiri interlude since that sounds whimsical, not spoilery (unless you've already read Dawnshard and know more. That being said, if it is a Chiri-Chiri viewpoint, that'd be fun.

Btw, is there any thread to talk about Dawnshard? I was planning to read it in the course of the week so I could distract myself from the anxiety of waiting for ROW... but ended reading it all in one night...

1 hour ago, IcaroRibeiro said:

Btw, is there any thread to talk about Dawnshard? I was planning to read it in the course of the week so I could distract myself from the anxiety of waiting for ROW... but ended reading it all in one night...

Yes - it's in the same area as the the RoW spoiler discussions, just below them. Go back to "Rhythm of War and Dawnshard Spoiler Area", then it is the 4th option.

I don't think it can be Nikli (or the dawnshard) because either of those *would* spoil dawnshard, and specifically Nikli's would probably be too disconnected from Rysn to feel like a Rysn interlude like Brandon says it'll still be.

I didn't think of it before, but I think OP is correct.  After reading dawnshard, it's pretty obvious the larkin/lanceryn were a lot more intelligent than would be apparent from an animal, however if you think about the rest of Roshar, it's not really that abnormal.  For example, Ryshadium are considered a lot more intelligent than normal horses.  Even the reshi moving island greatshells (forget the name) have cognition, even in Dawnshard it provides the information to Rysn to visit aimia, indicating it is sentient and aware of abstracts.  We even see it a bit with the chasmfiend hunting kaladin and shallan, where it pulls back to wait for them to exit the crevice to ambush them, though this is actually bit of a poor example.

At any rate, the thing in common with all of these is their ability/need to bond spren to sustain their lifecycle.  The greatshells all bond spren to sustain themselves at their immense size, even ryshadium are bonded to a spren and I believe it is a factor in their intelligence, so it's just further evidence that larkin are (probably) intelligent species as well.

6 hours ago, Kuram said:

I don't think it can be Nikli (or the dawnshard) because either of those *would* spoil dawnshard, and specifically Nikli's would probably be too disconnected from Rysn to feel like a Rysn interlude like Brandon says it'll still be.

I didn't think of it before, but I think OP is correct.  After reading dawnshard, it's pretty obvious the larkin/lanceryn were a lot more intelligent than would be apparent from an animal, however if you think about the rest of Roshar, it's not really that abnormal.  For example, Ryshadium are considered a lot more intelligent than normal horses.  Even the reshi moving island greatshells (forget the name) have cognition, even in Dawnshard it provides the information to Rysn to visit aimia, indicating it is sentient and aware of abstracts.  We even see it a bit with the chasmfiend hunting kaladin and shallan, where it pulls back to wait for them to exit the crevice to ambush them, though this is actually bit of a poor example.

At any rate, the thing in common with all of these is their ability/need to bond spren to sustain their lifecycle.  The greatshells all bond spren to sustain themselves at their immense size, even ryshadium are bonded to a spren and I believe it is a factor in their intelligence, so it's just further evidence that larkin are (probably) intelligent species as well.

I mean, spren are cognitive entities. I think any bond to one of them will make something approach sapience. Investiture seeks to become like that in the first place.

17 hours ago, Czernobog said:

Truly off the wall would be if Change was the POV for the Rysn interlude.

(Apoolgies...the pun was screaming for release.)

You apologise for a pun, with another pun? Both are storming good, even if it took me a couple tries to see.

10 hours ago, Kuram said:

I feel that, if there was to be a Sleepless interlude in the book, it wouldn't be counted as Rysn's, but instead its own independent interlude. I'm firmly of the opinion that it will be Chiri-Chiri, and I would love to see more about her kind, but I am open to other opinions. It could be what would at first seem a third person interlude, but really be from a hordeling that is watching over her...

Tin hat on. 

I think we will see the dawnshard in action. Or a tiny bit of it at least, not eilntirely, not directly... just a nuance of it. This way it won't spoil the novella to those who haven't read it but it will be clear to everyone else. 

I picture a subtle conversation, pretty normal and innocent on first glance but coincidentally someone stuck for a long time will gently be nudged towards finally getting out of the slog... and I think it will be Kaladin. We know from Syl's interlude he is not better even having spent some time with the surgeons so he still needs some extra help. 

P. S. Navani and Shallan are also possible candidates for this, the first with her "not a scholar" nonsense and the latter for obvious reason. Although it could be argued Shallan did make some progresss since book 1

Edited by Firespir

30 minutes ago, Firespir said:

Navani and Shallan are also possible candidates for this, the first with her "not a scholar" nonsense

I still maintain that she's right, she's not a scholar, she's a Project Manager, or in other words, someone who unites, and brings people together. Bondsmith oath, right there in front of us.

I'm also partial to Rushu as a Truthwatcher, since she seems to be getting more scenes, but Truthwatcher is definitely the order most relevant to understanding the deeper workings of the Cosmere.

On 11/12/2020 at 3:42 AM, IcaroRibeiro said:

On 11/12/2020 at 3:42 AM, IcaroRibeiro said:

To the point of this topic, however, count me among those guessing Sleepless POV. It's long overdue, and we already got a taste of it in Dawnshard. Just a taste, but I think we'll get an interlude from the perspective of one of the Sleepless accompanying Rysn to learn to imitate humans. Frankly, I expect her to very much play the Babsk role, and it would amuse me to have the Sleepless POV mirror the Rysn POVs from book 1.

5 hours ago, Shardsplinter said:

RoW Spoilers for Rysn's Interlude:

Reveal hidden contents

It's actually a Chiri-Chiri Interlude!!!!!!!!!! It's actually a Chiri-Chiri Interlude!!!!!! And it's so good!!!!! I cannot hold my excitement!!!!!!! (:ph34r:Going back to compulsively read:ph34r:)

I was really hoping for

Spoiler

Pot of Grass

but alas :)