Goob

Woo! First topic!
Anyway, this is is going to a game that's less RP-focused (Though there still will be a lot of it!) and be a lot more like a board game. I got the idea for this after reading the The Silmarillion and wanting to simulate the sort of godly intrigue that occurred in that book- so I made some basic rules and I played with some friends, and we had a good amount of fun!
The concept is that you are a god- and, along with other gods (both good and evil) you create a world, it's landmarks, and you build up your favored race and set them off to war with the other god's favored races, creating a grand history of a legendary world with monsters and great heroes.

The best part? It's almost completely free what you want to do. Want to create a giant worm-monster that breathes fire and sweats poison? Go for it! Want a magical race of immortal shapeshifters to rule over a horde of sniveling goblins? Absolutely! Want to send a great plague to your enemies? Sure! The possibilities are infinite.
Here are the rules:

Spoiler

First, you must create your god! Here is the template:
Name: 
Domain: (What concept does your god represent?)
Alignment: (Use the standard DND alignment chart)
Any additional info is optional, but encouraged.

Next, your god is plopped into a blank world- all of the gods start of in the middle of a great plain with nothing but grass. What now?
The game is divided into turns. Everyone takes their turn simultaneously, and you can do as much or as little as you want- the only restriction is Power. What is Power, you might ask?
Power is the god's ability to create or destroy something. Create a race? Power. Make a lake? Power. Cast a curse? Power.
Each god starts with 50 Power to establish their realm Every god gets 10+2d6 Power at the beginning of each turn. Due to the sheer variation of the stuff you can do with Power, I determine the price of everything. Here are the prices of some average things:

• Default Humans: 15p
  • Smaug-esque Dragon: 25p
  • An average mountain: 5p
  • An medium-sized mountain range: 11p
  • An medium forest: 7p
  • An semi-deadly plague: 10p

Power transfers over each turn, so you can save up over turns for a big or powerful project. Multiple gods can also pool their Power for a common goal.

On Races:
A race will be the backbone of your domain. The power of the races scales with their price to create- god-like beings with powerful magic cost a whole lot more than a horde of weak goblins that can barely lift an sword. Here is the template for a race:

Name:
Description: (Go wild! Spiders? Hiveminds? Automata?)
Strengths/Weaknesses: (Are they super strong? Highly magical? Are they particularly disease-resistant? Are they sensitive to sunlight?)

Note: If the race is particularly strong, they will always have a low population, and vice-versa. Any traits not listed will be assumed to be average.

On Monsters: 

Dragons, great worms, hulking giants- these are one-off, special creations for warfare. (Maybe something else?) They use the same template as Races.

On War:
War will happen- a great horde of orcs slams into human lines as the gods watch in anticipation.
You must spend Power to create an army- all armies are the same size. If you have multiple races, you may specify if it is of one race or the other. Armies can move a distance determined by me, due to varying speeds and stamina. Armies cost more or less depending on the power of your race.
Combat is done using simple dice- due to the number of variables- terrain, races, monsters, etc. etc. I also determine the amount of dice- though note, if you specify a certain strategy or a good general, I will happily award you more dice.

Roleplay:

Remember, this isn't Risk- your god's  goal might be to conquer the world, but the point of this is to have fun and roleplay. This just happens to have more rules than the average FFRP on this forum.

Final Notes:
There will be a map that I maintain and post after every turn.
Depending on the number of people that join, I may or may not recruit an assistant game master. This would also allow me to play as well.
This is highly experimental and I'm not a game designer, so things might be up for change. 

Edited by AmazingGoob

FIRST!!! I LOVE THIS!!!

Spoiler

Name: Erethera

Domain: Travel 

Alignment: Lawful Neutral. Really heckin' chill, but when he gets angry, he goes full-on Chaotic Neutral.

Additional Info: He's kinda like Hermes; his domain covers stories from afar, merchants, and stuff like that. Anything that requires travel is his game.

I've always liked games that you're kinda trying to win but not really. Thanks so much for this thread!!!

This seems like it could be fun:

Spoiler

Name: The Drifter
Domain: Luck
Alignment: Neutral to Neutral Good. He is willing to do what is necessary to see his goals accomplished, but tries to do the best option.
Additional Info: He is generally blamed whenever good or bad luck befalls someone. If you find twenty bucks on the ground, it must have been the drifter smiling upon you. If you tripped and fell into a pile of crem mud, you angered the drifter somehow.

Edited by HoidWasTaken

I am interested...

Spoiler

Name: Mr. Goat

Domain: Laziness/procrastination

Alignment: pure neutral

Additional info: Completely content to let others rule and watch the lands. Does not want to fight anyone but he will. Just wants to watch the world. May influence it in small ways. Will also be gaining power drastically... but he has no will to use it all at once for he is too lazy.

Since, this won't start till at least tomorrow. I'll post my character in a few hours.

Also, I have a few questions:

1. What if you want to create non-default humans?
  2. Can you undo what another God just did?
  3. Can you create Multiple armies?
  4. Should we/Will we maintain a map?
  5. What if I want to raise a city?
  6. Are there ways to hurt the Gods?

5 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

Since, this won't start till at least tomorrow. I'll post my character in a few hours.

Also, I have a few questions:

1. What if you want to create non-default humans?
  2. Can you undo what another God just did?
  3. Can you create Multiple armies?
  4. Should we/Will we maintain a map?
  5. What if I want to raise a city?
  6. Are there ways to hurt the Gods?

1. The humans were a baseline. Depending on how powerful they are, they will be more or less expensive.

2. Er... Yeeees. With a big asterisk. Don't be a jerk, obviously, and I'll probably make it like double cost to destroy something a god just made.

3. Yes. 

4. I will be maintaining a map. I'm not the best, however, and if anyone wants to contribute feel free.

5. Cities are an assumed part of a race, (unless you are nomadic or something) but yes, you can raise a home base.

6. No. 

Edited by AmazingGoob

I will join this: @AmazingGoob

Spoiler

Name: Baelvroniix the Nauseating (Bael)

Domain: Swamps, particularly the smelly, dark, and disgusting kind

Alignment: Chaotic Evil all the way

Additional info: Bael definitely qualifies as a demon. He's huge, a nasty green, with a massive head of horns that look similar to a thorn bush. He smells really bad, too. He will find you and he will kill you to rule the world and turn it all into a huge, smelly, dark, damp, miserable, ugly swamp.

Edited by Matrim's Dice

Hey guys, thanks for joining! I'm liking the gods so far.
Anyway, here is the base map we are using:

Spoiler

Basemap.thumb.png.36fd3c0b56151316f220538880d7a007.png
Currently, it is blank- as I mentioned, it's just a completely flat, grassy plain, and all players will start at the very center, which is that black dot.
Note that this was originally played on a sheet of paper with meeples as armies, gods, and monsters. I'm still consider what I can use to replace some of these in a digital format.

Edited by AmazingGoob

Guest Somebody from Scadrial

Definitely going to join

Spoiler

Name: Ren Ellex

Domain: (What does your god rule over?) The mountains, skies, oceans and volcanoes of Renaria

Alignment: (Use the standard DND alignment chart) Chaotic, neutral

Description: almond skinned with fiery red hair and slate grey eyes, he is very lanky smart he has made four races and refuses to make any more

When will this start? Also I'd suggest a name: The game of the gods

Here are the four races I would like to make IN PROGRESS

Spoiler

Name: Diren or Irene

Description: they have several horns on their heads, having enough horns to ring their head is considered rare, and always have some shade of grey hair, from the lightest silver to the darkest stone. They tend to be very stocky and short but this varies.

Special Stuff: earth elementals, quite strong, often stubborn

That's one, 3 more to go

Name: Firen

Description: always have red hair and are often bulky but talk with very dark skin they also live in and by the volcano and the other nearby mountains.

Special Stuff: Fire elementals, very war-like and good at fighting to boot, dangerous, often have swift tempers

Name: Watren 

Description: short and thin with all colors of hair overall they are the most similar to humans however they can live both above water and underwater, which is where they live normally they have few above ground settlements, their preferred weapons are spears and tridents

Special Stuff: water elementals, good underwater fighters

Last one

Name: Airen

Description: tall and thin very elegant looking often similar to how elves look, long blond hair, light colored eyes, long but not pointed ears life in sky fortresses, the most advanced of the Renarian's.

Special Stuff: air elementals, smart, good acrobats

Edited by Somebody from Sel

1 hour ago, Matrim's Dice said:

It already has a name: A Game of Godly Intrigue 

Ok I thought that was a place holder also how much would those races take? Not making them yet (I can't) bit would like to know

3 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

so if the average amount of power you are going to get is 17 

it would take me around 56 rounds to get 1000 power. I WILL RULE THE WORLD! from the safety of a cave sleeping in a hammock...

I'm pretty sure you get 50 per round... I'll go check ok you get 10+2d6 so that's 16 on average not 17 but ok

Also, Amazing (or Goob which one) do we roll the dice or do you?

Edited by Somebody from Sel

9 hours ago, Somebody from Sel said:

Definitely going to join

Hide contents

Domain: (What does your god rule over?) The mountains, skies, oceans and volcanoes of Renaria

Alignment: (Use the standard DND alignment chart) Chaotic, neutral

Description: almond skinned with fiery red hair and slate grey eyes, he is very lanky smart he has made four races and refuses to make any more

When will this start? Also I'd suggest a name: The game of the gods

Here are the four races I would like to make IN PROGRESS

Reveal hidden contents

Name: Diren or Irene

Description: they have several horns on their heads, having enough horns to ring their head is considered rare, and always have some shade of grey hair, from the lightest silver to the darkest stone. They tend to be very stocky and short but this varies.

Special Stuff: earth elementals, quite strong, often stubborn

That's one, 3 more to go

Name: Firen

Description: always have red hair and are often bulky but talk with very dark skin they also live in and by the volcano and the other nearby mountains.

Special Stuff: Fire elementals, very war-like and good at fighting to boot, dangerous, often have swift tempers

Name: Watren 

Description: short and thin with all colors of hair overall they are the most similar to humans however they can live both above water and underwater, which is where they live normally they have few above ground settlements, their preferred weapons are spears and tridents

Special Stuff: water elementals, good underwater fighters

Last one

Name: Airen

Description: tall and thin very elegant looking often similar to how elves look, long blond hair, light colored eyes, long but not pointed ears life in sky fortresses, the most advanced of the Renarian's.

Special Stuff: air elementals, smart, good acrobats

Yeah, there isn't a needed name
"Domain" doesn't mean what they physically rule over- what concept are they representing? Fire? War? Time? Ect. Ect.
Don't specify the terrain or species of you realm because they don't exist yet, and you don't know what's going to happen.
As for the species themselves- assuming they are weak to the element opposing to them (Water and fire, air to earth) then I'd say about 21p each. But please refrain from requesting prices for anything else before the game starts.

TO EVERYONE ELSE:
I'm closing entering people after 24 hours pass on the original topic- I don't want to exclude anyone just because they were asleep or preoccupied with something else, but I also really don't want too many people.

Edited by AmazingGoob

Just now, AmazingGoob said:

Yeah, there isn't a needed name
"Domain" doesn't mean what they physically rule over- what concept are they representing? Fire? War? Time? Ect. Ect.
Don't specify the terrain or species of you realm because they don't exist yet, and you don't know what's going to happen.
As for the species themselves- assuming they are weak to the element opposing to them (Water and fire, air to earth) then I'd say about 21p each. But please refrain from requesting prices for anything else before the game starts.

Ok :( I'll change my character thing

Domain: (What does your god represent?): The Elements and light

Alignment: (Use the standard DND alignment chart) Lawful, neutral

Description: almond skinned with fiery red hair and slate grey eyes, he is very lanky and smart.

3 minutes ago, AmazingGoob said:

Hmm I think I can keep swamps... maybe add some standard 'earth' elemental in there. Bael does rule over the swamps... but he also can create them, command them, make them stinkier, etc.

1 minute ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Hmm I think I can keep swamps... maybe add some standard 'earth' elemental in there. Bael does rule over the swamps... but he also can create them, command them, make them stinkier, etc.

You can keep swamps- that's not where your civ lives (Like in Somebody's first post) it's the concept of swamps.

1 minute ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Swamps is probably fine mine were locations but yours are just what you have control over, also Amazing maybe this should be changed to represent like I did because domain means both and rule over generally means rule over a piece of land

2 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

Swamps is probably fine mine were locations but yours are just what you have control over, also Amazing maybe this should be changed to represent like I did because domain means both and rule over generally means rule over a piece of land

Yeah, I should change "What you rule over" to the "Concept that your god represents"
Give me a sec, I'll go edit the first post
EDIT: Done.

Edited by AmazingGoob

1 hour ago, Chasmgoat said:

so if the average amount of power you are going to get is 17 

it would take me around 56 rounds to get 1000 power. I WILL RULE THE WORLD! from the safety of a cave sleeping in a hammock...

But, if you want Over 9000 Power, you will need to wait aprox. 559 turns.