Which Shard would you pick?

CosmereComrade

Okay, so yo are present on the shattering of adonalsyum. You are the first in line to get your almighty powerful shard (probably because you are a Dragon or such and would eat the people opposing you).

You can pick any shard of your choice, speculate with the unknown ones or even come up with mixes between 2 shards.

Hmmm, I'm tempted to go with 'whatever Shard is the one Brandon said he'd pick', which may or may not be Ingenuity, since he's been deliberately vague on whether or not it's actually one of the sixteen. I figure if it's the one he'd want, it's probably really interesting, really awesome or both.

Failing that, I'd probably go for Dominion on the assumption that it's broadly describing the desire for things to be orderly and hierarchical combined with the hope that I could control that intent well enough to cultivate something more like ancient Egypt or China on my shardworld (ie long-lived and generally stable civilizations even if the ruling dynasty changed hands every so often) and less like, well, Fjorden.

Edited by Weltall

Ambition would very well match what I would end up doing in the Cosmere, in that I will be interested in those who have the greatest ambitions (cough cough Hoid and his mysterious goal)
Failing that, Cultivation seems a rather popular choice, but I'd actually prefer Honor out of the Rosharan Shards. Is the sort of thing I find important in people

As a somewhat made up Shard to take, I would go for the Shard associated with knowledge, because I love knowing stuff. I think a fan name for it is Knowledge, though I've also heard a similar one in Wisdom or Ingenuity, though I think the latter is more of a separate Shard than an alternate to it.

Oh god, I thought i had'nt got any replays to the thread. I figure I didn't click on the "notify me of replies" button :unsure:

I think I would pick "Unity" (speculating it is an autonomous shard, which is kind of sketchy). Otherwise I like both Ruin and Cultivation a lot (which seem more or less opposed, but could work good together in my opinion).

Wonder what the fusion of those would be. I figure it'd be something on the line of "growth" or "change". ¿Progression? I'm guessing because you would both cultivate, generate new "things", while also making them wither only to let them grow back stronger.

Thanks for all the replys, and, yes, I think it's curious how all the ones @kingsdaughter613 mentioned are held by females! So is Autonomy, and I'm also seeing those are all very "positive" concepts, or at least socially regarded as positive (unlike Ruin or Odium, and even Dominion). Never thought about that!

So, Unity would be my top because that is 3 in 1. Harmony would be my second, for similar reasons. If I had to pick an individual shard that has been confirmed, I would go with Preservation. I like things to stay stagnant(As long as they are the way I like them)

16 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Cultivation. I’m a mom. It works.

Devotion otherwise. Or Ambition, assuming Ambition is drive. Maybe Endowment?

Oddly enough, all of these were held by females. Maybe the original Vessels let the girls go first?

I do believe there is a WoB about the first vessles influencing their shards.

15 hours ago, Experience said:

I would most definitely go with Empathy. 

And you have failed

but I have not

I choose

Frustration!

3 hours ago, CosmereComrade said:

I think I would pick "Unity" (speculating it is an autonomous shard, which is kind of sketchy). Otherwise I like both Ruin and Cultivation a lot (which seem more or less opposed, but could work good together in my opinion).

Brandon agrees with you, telling us that Ruin would be most compatible with Cultivation.

Wonder what the fusion of those would be. I figure it'd be something on the line of "growth" or "change". ¿Progression? I'm guessing because you would both cultivate, generate new "things", while also making them wither only to let them grow back stronger.

There's a whole topic here where people discussed combined Shard names. Cultivation/Ruin becoming 'Change' was a pretty good suggestion, since that's what both intents embody.

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

I do believe there is a WoB about the first vessles influencing their shards.

Any Vessel can influence the intent of their Shard by filtering it through their own perceptions, (another example here) but this isn't permanent and it has limits. Ati tried to channel Ruin towards less-destructive ends and we know how that ended.

1 hour ago, Weltall said:

Brandon agrees with you, telling us that Ruin would be most compatible with Cultivation.

There's a whole topic here where people discussed combined Shard names. Cultivation/Ruin becoming 'Change' was a pretty good suggestion, since that's what both intents embody.

Any Vessel can influence the intent of their Shard by filtering it through their own perceptions, (another example here) but this isn't permanent and it has limits. Ati tried to channel Ruin towards less-destructive ends and we know how that ended.

Wow, thanks! I do not usually read through the WoBs, so the ones I've read I mostly forget about... I thoguht I had an original idea, and I don't know if it is something I once read and just asumed (forgetting i had read it in the first place) or if I just got to the same conclusion.

Also, on the topic of that other thread: Yesterday I read the general rules of the forum, and there is one specific rule on not commenting on very old posts (I guess it is to have continuous new content and avoid flooding the forums with old topics) so I'm still kinda cautios on that matter.

Just now, Omi the Counselor said:

Dominion, to enslave all of the small-minded fools who oppose me!

And I shall Rise them up in rebellion against you!

29 minutes ago, Leuthie said:

I would not pick up a Shard. The thought of a narrow Intent slowly changing my to fit it just doesn't sound like how I'd like my future, no matter the Intent or the amount of power it gave me.

You underestimante the variety I can acheive, I alone am responsible for all of human acheivement, and half of it's failures.

38 minutes ago, Leuthie said:

I would not pick up a Shard. The thought of a narrow Intent slowly changing my to fit it just doesn't sound like how I'd like my future, no matter the Intent or the amount of power it gave me.

I'd go for Ingenuity (if it proves to be a Shard) because its definition as "the quality of being clever, original, and inventive" (google) would hopefully act as a loophole to Intent being too binding. As opposed to Preservation and Ruin's inherent characteristics altering their Vessels, I feel like the Shard improving on cleverness or inventiveness would be pretty sweet.

5 hours ago, Frustration said:

And you have failed

but I have not

I choose

Frustration!

Well, my next choices were Experience and Frustration, but I thought about it and having perfect Empathy would be amazing. And you could tell if someone was lying, and other cool stuff.

If I had to select a single shard, that we currently know of, I'd probably choose Endowment. I love Nalthis and the magic system, and the intent--giving, gifts, etc.--fits me well. Although I do like cultivation/growth/change a lot too.