Okay, what is Adonalism’s name is edgli planning?

Koloss17

So this expanding from the fact that edgli, the vessel of endowment, has some sort of master plan. Edgli is peculiar with who can enter nalthis. She also chooses out returned carefully without any known pattern. This also includes the five scholars and the god kings. She also does not like Hoid, given that he is “unpredictable.” 

we now know more stuff, namely, the dawnshards.

there are four, possibly with different abilities that predate the shards. at least ONE of them gives you hightenings. Now, there are some possibilities. 

1. there are 4 dawnshards and 16 shards. The shards’ abilities could be distributed between them, each having 4 of the systems

2. they all have all 16 shard’s magic systems. 

now, those two options kind of go against the whole thing that has been established with magic systems. 

it has been established that the magic systems are based off of the shard(s) intent, but other than that, it is mostly out of their control.

given that, the way this one dawnshard operates seems to go against those two possibilities, unless the dawnshards have changed over time. But given that the amians seem to have been protecting this over many generations, I think that is unlikely. 

there is one other possibility that is this:

3. The dawnshards has a specific tie to endowment.

This seems the most likely since the aimians said this:

“The most powerful forms of Surgebinding transcend traditional mortal understanding” “All their greatest applications require Intent and a Command.”

Which I interpret to mean that the dawnshards are formed through Commands and Intent. Now, that sounds a whole lot like bow breath and commands work in nalthis. And that paired with the heightenings that Rysn has gained seems to prove a link. Now the question is this: 

Who did it first?

likely Endowment somehow morphed their magic system to be based on the dawnshards, which is crazy. I have no idea what Edgli is planning, but given this new bit of data, there is more than I once thought.

I don't think so. Heightenings are the effects of grafted Investiture on the human sensory systems. Grafted is a word I'm using to describe Investiture that is grafted onto your Spirit Web. Breaths are Investiture that aren't lost over time. They don't "leak". When you obtain a breath, it becomes part of you, attached. When it is transferred to someone else, it grafts to them. Since it's part of your Spirit Web, your senses and other innate abilities are increased. There might be some control of which are increased by a Shard's Intent, but the increase is imparted by the grafted Investiture, no matter the source.

The heightened senses that Rysn experiences are simply a consequence of having Investiture grafted to her Spirit Web.

1 hour ago, Leuthie said:

I don't think so. Heightenings are the effects of grafted Investiture on the human sensory systems. Grafted is a word I'm using to describe Investiture that is grafted onto your Spirit Web. Breaths are Investiture that aren't lost over time. They don't "leak". When you obtain a breath, it becomes part of you, attached. When it is transferred to someone else, it grafts to them. Since it's part of your Spirit Web, your senses and other innate abilities are increased. There might be some control of which are increased by a Shard's Intent, but the increase is imparted by the grafted Investiture, no matter the source.

The heightened senses that Rysn experiences are simply a consequence of having Investiture grafted to her Spirit Web.

You know? I’d like to have a WoB confirming that. I know that breaths latch on to your spiderweb (you can store it in a nicrosilmind no problem because of that). What I’m wondering is the fact that because it is just blank investiture that has latched on to your spiderweb, that has the side effect of giving heightenings. I don’t know if that is true. That would mean that nalthis doesn’t have a magic system, because hieghtenings are just a rule of the cosmere. That’s what I’m wondering, cuz that seems a bit of a stretch.

All magic systems follow "rules of the Cosmere". Awakening would be the magic system of Nalthis and Endowment, powered by Breaths. Heightenings are overall just a side effect of collecting Investiture, not a magic system. Some of the Heightenings provide better control over these Awakenings, but this would be an example of the interaction between magic systems and the "rules" having side effects.

I'm still looking for confirmation, but I believe every time we see someone "graft" Investiture to themselves, they'll have similar enhanced senses.

In fact, what this indicates is that Breaths are the magic system but not the Hieghtenings (and perhaps not even the Commands). Whether it is forced or not from each one, I myself find it very interesting.

Brandon confirmed that a certain level of Investiture has similar effects:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/jovvuo/dawnshard_is_here/gbbsifd/?context=3

It really gives me something to think about Nicrosilmind, especially about Compouding it. Huh

30 minutes ago, Leuthie said:

I'm still looking for confirmation, but I believe every time we see someone "graft" Investiture to themselves, they'll have similar enhanced senses.

Thats exactly how i view it. Adding/grafting Investiture to your soul is making you ever so slighly more divine. And with that divinity comes, lets say, enhancements

is there a  WoB saying breath can be stored in a nicrisolmind?

Breaths aren’t really part of the soul. You cant spike someones breath out of them.(except when its kinetic i.e. in the middle of being transferred to a object or person)

they can be used to store Divine Breath

Edited by Eternal Khol

OK...totally out in left field headcannon here...Maybe Edgli's game is to make another Dawnshard that can DESTROY Odium, and Nightblood is that attempt. For whatever reason, she couldn't make a Dawnshard on her own so she created ma magic system based on what was needed to create one. She then invested her people with breath so they could begin figuring out how to use commands and awakening. Periodically, she would identify someone with the acumen to do what she needed and would Return them when they died filling them with a significant amount of investiture (she Returned other people as well to mask her true plan) so they would have enough to create the framework needed to make a new Dawnshard if they figured it out. the early Returned seemed to do a lot more stuff than the ones we see in Warbreaker. When the Five Scholars started to get together and really figure things out, she somehow started dropping hints as to what she needed...probably through Shashara as she figured out the final Command. When they all got together to create Nightblood, Edgli added something (there is WOB somewhere stating that something weird/unexpected happened in Nightblood's creation), and Kaboom...a new "Dawnshard"....or not(Voidshard?). I don't think it went as Edgli expected either. Maybe Shashara had some sort of malevolence in her Intent when she gave the command that she had hidden from everyone or something. Anyway, what they actually got wasn't exactly a new Dawnshard, but something on the same power level, but with full sapience and  the only limitation being the perspective of its wielder (I think the real Dawnshards have limitations and safeguards, but with a few loopholes that were exploited, with Odium's guidance, that led to the destruction of Ashyn). Destroying at the Spiritual level may another distinction of Nightblood, but I'm not sure. Anyway, the Five Scholars didn't understand the full import of what they had done until Shashara used Nightblood at the battle of Twilight Falls. Shashara thought it was amazing and Vasher was utterly horrified and, I suspect, realized that what happened was only a tiny fraction of what Nightblood could do. Vasher ended having to kill Shashara to keep more Nightbloods from being made( she really wanted to make more) because Only she knew her exact intent and visualization when she gave the Command. The fact that anyone can use Nightblood to destroy whatever they want makes him absolutely terrifying to everyone in every realm. 

ok, Im stopping now.

Honestly, the moment the word "Command" was used for the Dawnshards, I immediately began wondering the same thing but then soon realized it's probably just that Command is probably fundamental to Investiture and the similarity to Awakening stems from that. Awakening does seem more... primal somehow than other Invested Arts.

But one can't help but look at the Five Scholars and Nightblood suspiciously after this.

Or maybe even the Cognitive Anomaly on the Nalthian starchart.

Edited by Honorless

So, we’ve previously seen that Hoid has access to the Heightenings.  I had thought that meant he held a certain amount of Breaths, and wondered why he didn’t distort light and color around him like we see with people holding a large amount of Breaths on Nalthis.  Does this just mean that Hoid has grafted a large amount of investiture onto his spiritweb (totally plausible in my mind due to his habit of collecting different magic systems), or is it possible that he holds a Dawnshard as well (also plausible to me on account of the fact that he is Hoid)?

5 hours ago, Belcyrlis said:

So, we’ve previously seen that Hoid has access to the Heightenings.  I had thought that meant he held a certain amount of Breaths, and wondered why he didn’t distort light and color around him like we see with people holding a large amount of Breaths on Nalthis.  Does this just mean that Hoid has grafted a large amount of investiture onto his spiritweb (totally plausible in my mind due to his habit of collecting different magic systems), or is it possible that he holds a Dawnshard as well (also plausible to me on account of the fact that he is Hoid)?

We've seen Hoid awakening before, though.  In OB (I think?) he awakens a doll.  This would suggest to me he has at least some access to Breaths

the wording makes it sound like the only thing the magic system on Nalthis does is making Investiture stick to the spiritweb.
all the rest is the same principle as the Dawnshards. Commands and Intent are a general cosmere rule.

more Breaths means becoming more Devine. with enough divinity an Awakener is able to use Commands on things.
take it to extreme and an awakener could create Dawnshard like Commands.

makes me wonder if Awakeners could order something to Change instead of becoming alive.

Sanderson has talked on this before. Allomancers don't hold any Investiture when they aren't actively burning a metal. Selish magic doesn't require ANY holding if Investiture. Roshar magic is very efficient in its use of Investiture since it works through spren which are much closer to the source, so surgebinders don't really hold a large amount of Investiture either. Breaths aren't extremely large individually, but when you hold thousands, you're holding a lot more Investiture than even a 5th Ideal surgebinder would be able to.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 11:28 AM, Leuthie said:

Sanderson has talked on this before. Allomancers don't hold any Investiture when they aren't actively burning a metal. Selish magic doesn't require ANY holding if Investiture. Roshar magic is very efficient in its use of Investiture since it works through spren which are much closer to the source, so surgebinders don't really hold a large amount of Investiture either. Breaths aren't extremely large individually, but when you hold thousands, you're holding a lot more Investiture than even a 5th Ideal surgebinder would be able to.

Also, Sand Mastery doesn't really entail holding any investiture either, you just form a connection through the water in your body to an organism on a piece of sand that can be charged with investiture and control that sand with your mind. 

Though, I wonder if Kelsier and the Heralds also have these benefits considering their souls are infused with investiture just like a Returned is. The question there being, are they equally invested or does Endowment give the Returned considerably more than is strictly necessary? Technically, it only takes 1 Breath to make a Lifeless, but they have considerably less sapience than any of the aforementioned Cognitive Shadows. 

Edgli doesn't seem to have any larger plans:

Questioner

What is Endowment’s long term plan?  Like just even in general, is she just like “Keep Nalthis safe” like Sazed is or is she like, does she have a plan for...

Brandon Sanderson

Nooo, um...

Questioner

You don’t have to tell me but like, does she have a plan that involves the cosmere...

Brandon Sanderson

Not really.

Questioner

...or is it just to stay on...

Brandon Sanderson

She’s more focused on her thing.

Calamity Philadelphia signing (Feb. 20, 2016)