Lead/Silver poisoning

Aspiring Writer

So, as my user name suggests, I like to write a lot, and I have a lot of ideas on things to write. Many of those ideas are taking your typical fantasy elements and making a new spin on them in some way, my favorite trying to bring more science in with all the magic. One of my favorite Fantasy creatures is the werewolf because WEREWOLVES ARE AWESOME! But there is one element of werewolves I have never liked all that much, and that is the one where they cannot be harmed by anything other than silver. However, in a fantasy thing I'm writing (That may or may not be connected to my Sources of the Universe series that I may be uploading chapter by chapter onto this forum in creator's corner that you should definitely read and maybe leave some thoughts or a review on:ph34r:) where I am trying to make more scientific versions/explanations to many fantasy tropes, my explanation for the silver weakness is that it has a similar effect lead has on humans. Now I will be doing some research on lead poisoning, but besides the fact I'm somewhat crap at researching things still, I was wondering what information and tidbits could provide on the nature of lead poisoning and if Silver can do something similar somehow (I know Silver is not toxic, as I have eaten sweets that have a thin layer of silver; what I'm asking is how to make silver poisonous to another being. Like, what would their biology have to be like to have that be the case, and feel free to throw ideas for that as Werewolves in my story are technically full on shapeshifters who don't know how to do more than one form (Do ask) so yeah, anyway to make a lifeform be vulnerable to silver will b appreciated) Now, I could just say 'magic' or that is just how their biology is and be done with that, but... that explanation makes me want to rip my eyes out, so I have come here to see that is not the case. Also, do please read my book, even if it is just to point out scientific errors. Would love that. 

Two Things:

1. Was the plug shameless?

2. I found this on some website: 

Why Is Lead Harmful?

Lead can harm production of blood cells and the absorption of calcium needed for strong bones and teeth, muscle movements, and the work of nerves and blood vessels.

High lead levels can cause brain and kidney damage.

2 minutes ago, HoidWasTaken said:

Two Things:

1. Was the plug shameless?

2. I found this on some website: 

Why Is Lead Harmful?

Lead can harm production of blood cells and the absorption of calcium needed for strong bones and teeth, muscle movements, and the work of nerves and blood vessels.

High lead levels can cause brain and kidney damage.

It's a fantasy thing. It related to the topic of the thread. So I don't think it was a bad plug. Also, thank you.

On 9.11.2020 at 7:56 AM, Aspiring Writer said:

Now I will be doing some research on lead poisoning, but besides the fact I'm somewhat crap at researching things still, I was wondering what information and tidbits could provide on the nature of lead poisoning and if Silver can do something similar somehow (I know Silver is not toxic, as I have eaten sweets that have a thin layer of silver; what I'm asking is how to make silver poisonous to another being.

Most things are toxic, but the dosage is often the clue: 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyria
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver#Precautions

If you want a really cheap solution (which I assume you don't) you could go with allergies. What is causing the transformation into a Werewolf? Virus, chemical, bacteria, magical mumbo-jumbo? Any of these could change the physiology to make the body susceptible to anything you wish. If bacteria, you could also call it anti-bacterial, but that's a stretch :P
If not you could do the same reasoning, but say that the silver reacts with whatever compund and turns into fluroride or nitrate (see the wiki for Silver)

Also, ask yourself: "Why can they only be harmed by Silver?"
If you shoot it with a ballistic missile, will it still blow into pieces or just feel nothing and stand there in the middle of a crater?
Say the setting isn't where you can blow things up (TNT is quite old now though), is the skin impenetrable for anything else than Silver?

So many questions for you to answer, and I supply no answer - sorry -_-

12 hours ago, Krox said:

Most things are toxic, but the dosage is often the clue: 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyria
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver#Precautions

If you want a really cheap solution (which I assume you don't) you could go with allergies. What is causing the transformation into a Werewolf? Virus, chemical, bacteria, magical mumbo-jumbo? Any of these could change the physiology to make the body susceptible to anything you wish. If bacteria, you could also call it anti-bacterial, but that's a stretch :P
If not you could do the same reasoning, but say that the silver reacts with whatever compund and turns into fluroride or nitrate (see the wiki for Silver)

Also, ask yourself: "Why can they only be harmed by Silver?"
If you shoot it with a ballistic missile, will it still blow into pieces or just feel nothing and stand there in the middle of a crater?
Say the setting isn't where you can blow things up (TNT is quite old now though), is the skin impenetrable for anything else than Silver?

So many questions for you to answer, and I supply no answer - sorry -_-

Thank you, this is very helpful. (Also, in this idea, they can be harmed by anything, but silver is very toxic for them, and therefore a better alternative.)

Edited by Aspiring Writer

15 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Thank you, this is very helpful. (Also, in this idea, they can be harmed by anything, but silver is very toxic for them, and therefore a better alternative.)

Good you fixed that, I never think a beer alternative is better than actual beer..!

This makes sense though, shoutout if you need more input.
I think digging a level deeper than what you explain to the reader will make for a more convincing lore. You don't need to go all Sanderson, but if there is a level beneath what you show us (ie. you know it is bacterial/viral infection that causes the transformation, but you tell us only that it happens to be contagious) it makes you write it better.

Don't know if that came out making any sense, but hey!

On 11/11/2020 at 0:00 AM, Krox said:

Good you fixed that, I never think a beer alternative is better than actual beer..!

This makes sense though, shoutout if you need more input.
I think digging a level deeper than what you explain to the reader will make for a more convincing lore. You don't need to go all Sanderson, but if there is a level beneath what you show us (ie. you know it is bacterial/viral infection that causes the transformation, but you tell us only that it happens to be contagious) it makes you write it better.

Don't know if that came out making any sense, but hey!

No, that's actually really smart. Makes you feel super cool as well.