Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

AonEne

Welp, now that I've finished Dawnshard, I'm back to reading this and figured I'd see what other fans are around. This is so good so far and I can't wait to find out what the heck is going on.

Link: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

Spoilers for chapter fourteen:

Spoiler

@The_Truthwatcher what is this game??? Also the humor is still on point and the way that Harry isn't quite a good guy is enticing. I'm excited to see where this character arc goes.

Edit: lol I know the game now

I wonder why Quirrell is so different...I have theories, but time to read onward.

14 hours ago, Philomath said:

Okay I’ve never read fanfic before but I was curious what this was about. I’m only a few chapters in, but very excited to see where this goes. So thanks for adding one more thing to my reading list!

Woohoo, I'm not the only one on this crazy journey!

23 hours ago, Flyingbooks42 said:

How far in are you and what are your theories about Quirrell so far?

Just started Ch18. My current theory is

Spoiler

Voldemort's possessing him. If not that, then at least influencing him or something.

Thanks everyone for posting :P

Am hype to see how Harry deals with Snape... :ph34r:

Edit: I'm living for these JKR disclaimers lol

I am adopting this child, he is in need of help, I shall give him hugs until his dark side just nopes out. 

• 1 month later...

Haven't had much time for reading lately but Ch27

Spoiler

“Are you feeling guilty because you can’t get Lesath’s parents out of Azkaban?”

“No,” said Harry.

A few seconds went by.

“Yes,” said Harry.

“You’re silly,” said Neville.

“I am aware of this,” said Harry.

has me laughing. As if the whole thing doesn't have me laughing.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Condensation said:

What the heck? Is this... a Harry Potter fanfic?

Yes, it's basically a full re-writing AU of the story and it's so good. Like this book is legitimately on the level of Brandon's stuff.

Well. That was an experience and I'm. I don't know what to say, except that I think everyone who sees this post should go read HPMOR. It will do things to you like Brandon does things to you. That was...good. Yeah, good's good.

Expecto Patronum, my friends, and may you always have something to protect. Mine is you.

I finished rereading HPMOR and I noticed so many little details that I had missed before.

Some of my thoughts about HPMOR, full spoilers, bullet points in no particular order:

Spoiler
  • On this readthrough, I realized Quirrell killed Rita Skeeter after basically subtly psychologically torturing her\
  • LISTEN TO YOUR SENSE OF DOOM HARRY. SENSES OF DOOM DON'T JUST HAPPEN FOR NO REASON
  • Chapter 5 continues to be the most hilarious thing I have ever seen. I have no idea what it did to deserve to be so funny.
  • Even though I knew what would happen, I cried at Hermione's trial. This is one of three scenes (at least that I remember) that I've ever read that have made me actually cry. It's just such an emotional scene with such a beautiful combination of joy and despair.
  • It'd be awesome if there was some sort of VR LARP of Professor Quirell's armies

18 hours ago, Flyingbooks said:

Some of my thoughts about HPMOR, full spoilers, bullet points in no particular order:

Hide contents
  • SENSES OF DOOM DON'T JUST HAPPEN FOR NO REASON
  • It'd be awesome if there was some sort of VR LARP of Professor Quirell's armies

Sometimes they do! Speaking as someone who has them all the time and they frequently mean nothing :P

It's not a LARP, sadly, but I have been considering starting a RP of HPMOR. 

@AonEne thank you and congrats, you have inspired me to start reading HPMOR and it is SO GOOD. 

As a HP fan and a science nerd, it really speaks to me in so many ways.  I'm planning to take it slow, only a few chapters a day, so I can savor it... which means I won't be reading or posting here until I'm done, maybe in a month or so.  But I do want you to know I'm following in your footsteps and look forward to talking about it!

On 2/19/2021 at 6:34 AM, AquaRegia said:

@AonEne thank you and congrats, you have inspired me to start reading HPMOR and it is SO GOOD. 

As a HP fan and a science nerd, it really speaks to me in so many ways.  I'm planning to take it slow, only a few chapters a day, so I can savor it... which means I won't be reading or posting here until I'm done, maybe in a month or so.  But I do want you to know I'm following in your footsteps and look forward to talking about it!

Ehehehe, a convert! I think we're tagging everything in terms of spoilers here, and we can start labeling the boxes by what chapter they're for or if they're for the whole thing, if you want to liveblog or discuss. But I hope you have fun either way!