RoW Non spoilers reviews

mariapapadia

So the non-spoiler reviews for Rythm of War have started popping out and 2 that I was expecting were Daniel's Greene & Merphy's Napier. 

From what they say here I am a bit worried that I will have the same issues with RoW, as I had with Oathbringer. Daniel says it very well, something along the lines of "liking the meat, but not the bone". For me Oathbringer had a lot of specific moments that were my favourites in the series, but as a whole didn't deliver on all the fronts I was hoping for. The reviews are mostly non spoilery, but just to be extra cautious I addes in "spoiler" what I thought might be considered one. 

Spoiler

Listening to their complaints about the book & the characters, the first thing & fear that comes to mind is that Adolin is going to revive Maya, but we won't get enough time spent on that & all the people that already think Adolin had it too easy will push even more on that :( Which is really a bummer cause I remember from last time how all the "negativity" towards his character was affecting my enjoyment of him. 

I'm also happy that we'll get more Navani & that it seems the Venli & Eshonai duo was delivered (I am still worried about that as they were not 2 of my faveourites, but after Oathbringer, I got really excited about Venli)

What makes you even more excited after listening to their reviews? Also, I don't know the indepth policies of the forum, so if putting the links to their reviews in this ,it is considered promotion of some sort, I am sorry. Hope that it's ok though :wacko:

Daniel Greene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxAQ3ufxgJM&ab_channel=DanielGreene

Merphy Napier - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t47XN5Lf0hY&t=499s&ab_channel=DanielGreeneDanielGreene

Yeah, Daniel's issues seemed to be mainly structural? Just... hmm... Honestly, it still feels to me that these opinions are pretty subjective. Like, what you ultimately think will depend on what elements of the story you value the most. 

I was expecting less focus for certain characters, since Brandon already warned that would happen for this book. And it kind of comes with writing a ten-book fantasy epic. So I really can't say I care for that particular criticism. 

Spoiler

Although I am a little bummed to hear apparently he thought Adolin's character arc was too.... convenient, I guess? I do want proper payoff for him and Shallan's arcs, so I'm hoping that when I read the book I'll disagree, lol.

Otherwise, the things they seemed to have the biggest issues with aren't really a problem for me. I'm super happy we're getting a lot more focus on the Singers and Listeners, I've been hoping for that since book 1 - and apparently it paid off! I'm really glad to hear stuff really worked for Navani and Kaladin as well.

I'd still take these reviews with a heavy grain of salt, though, since they're still just the opinions of two people out of hundreds who will review RoW and I haven't always agreed with their criticisms of other books. The one negative thing I do have to say about their reviews though is that both of them really seemed to contradict themselves on their commentary of the pacing... was it too slow or not? 

Edited by Rai

Ok so people are getting the book weeks before the release  

I'm now considering the possibility of becoming an Youtuber dedicated to books. I will work hard for the next 3 years to become sufessful and get many subscribers. After that I will finally get a copy of SA5 for myself 20 days before anyone else and shut down my channel right after that 

They both seem to have similar issues and they're mainly about the book's structure. I know Brandon has spoken about Rhythm of War not being structured in the way that he usually writes books and not to expect his typical avalanche but it seems that maybe in trying to tweak that he has thrown off his alchemy a little bit. Particularly worrying for me was Merphy's comment that those who loved Oathbringer would likely feel the same about Rhythm of War as OB was far and away my least favourite SA book. All of this is subjective though so hopefully when I get the book I don't even notice these things. 

Either way, I'm sure I'll love the story. I've never been fully on board with certain elements of the way Brandon writes books, characters and especially dialogue but I've never not been amazed with the plot and worldbuilding and so I fully expect the same here!

1 hour ago, Rai said:

Hide contents

Although I am a little bummed to hear apparently he thought Adolin's character arc was too.... convenient, I guess? I do want proper payoff for him and Shallan's arcs, so I'm hoping that when I read the book I'll disagree, lol.

Spoiler

When we guessed that Shallan and Adolin would be sent to Lasting Integrity to convince the honorspren to bond, I became CONVINCED that Adolin would say the words and revive Maya in front of the honorspren. Thus removing their objection to bonding and saving the day. This would be hugely convenient.

Both the reviews were saddening. Sanderavalance is missing, though it ends with gr8 things to take into book 5 (which we will see only after 3 years) and some character arc being not that good. Daniels comment on adolin makes me think that he will revive maya( personally I was not a great fan of this theory, as i  was rooting for  a non radiant kholin pov as i believe navani will be  bonding sibling). based on the review I think kaladins issues aren't gonna be resolved in this book     ( don't know what i feel abt it, hope it wont be like shallans arc in book 3) and shallans personality issue  may be finally solved though the pay off may not be worth it. thankfully venli and eshnois chapters are interesting and I was a bit skeptical about them been the focus. would love to see more navani.

now thinking about it row is the middle chunk of a big fantasy series. the book before the final  set 1. it was highly probable that it wont be as good as 1st two as it has to resolve some plots and move forward others for next one. But then I personally think that issues raised by daniel and merphy are subjective and that wont be the case with everyone, pacing isn't a real issue for me by now (guess have to thank wot) and  ur view of  character arc is  personal.

I dunno about them being non-spoilery if you spend too much time on the Shard, if you do then just see Eric's video.

Spoiler

So lots of new characters will be introduced in this book and become plot central pretty fast. Things can feel rushed or stretched in the wrong places. Very character focused and lore focused, but the structure & pacing of the story is apparently not as good as the previous ones. Not as much of a Sanderlanche, more of a set-up for book 5.

Kaladin & Shallan are going into dark places, not everything is going to be resolved emotionally for them. Adolin gets a bit of plot armour. The "other main character of the book" aside from the flashback characters is pretty much confirmed to be Navani. 

Even if they are just giving their impressions of the book, that can colour our impressions a bit, as we look for the things that made them feel that way. I think I kinda regret clicking on those videos.

Edited by Honorless

Oathbringer was the least favourite for me and I think that was due to the fact I was so, so hyped about it. I remember myself 3 years ago, I couldn't sleep and was waking up in the middle of the night with excitement when thinking about the book. There was this whole thing with the weekly chapters & theorizing and that set up incredibly high expectations for me and I ended up a little bumed with some of the things that happened. So, personally, I liked that their reviews were a little more pro-con, so that when I jump into RoW I know more of what to expect. I'd much rather go in with reasonable expectations & be blown by it. 

46 minutes ago, Honorless said:

I dunno about them being non-spoilery if you spend too much time on the Shard, if you do then just see Eric's video.

Reveal hidden contents

So lots of new characters will be introduced in this book and become plot central pretty fast. Things can feel rushed or stretched in the wrong places. Very character focused and lore focused, but the structure & pacing of the story is apparently not as good as the previous ones. Not as much of a Sanderlanche, more of a set-up for book 5.

Kaladin & Shallan are going into dark places, not everything is going to be resolved emotionally for them. Adolin gets a bit of plot armour. The "other main character of the book" aside from the flashback characters is pretty much confirmed to be Navani. 

Even if they are just giving their impressions of the book, that can colour our impressions a bit, as we look for the things that made them feel that way. I think I kinda regret clicking on those videos.

I kind of get what you are saying, in regards to the hidden part of your comments, but I also feel at this point some things were kind of confirmed by Brandon (see the hidden contents). Also in his video Daniel gives enough warnings before going more "spoilery".

Spoiler

the avalanche type ending not being as present in this book & RoW being a 3rd's book character as much as Venli & Eshonai's

Edited by mariapapadia

I recall Brandon talking about writing a specific scene in this book that is a foundational scenes and one that he first imagined, as the book approaches I really wonder what this scene is and if as readers it will be obvious that this is the scene as we read the scene.

4 hours ago, MIKIL said:

Sanderavalance is missing

I replied on this on my review, because some were asking about this being very inconsistent with Daniel Greene.

I... definitely think there is a Sanderlanche. I respect Daniel a bunch, but I don't quite understand how he can say that there isn't one. That's all I'll say right now :) 

On 11/7/2020 at 3:48 PM, IcaroRibeiro said:

I was Avoiding every other review, but I'll watch yours. Please don't spoiler me that much D: 

It shouldn't be spoilery. Other reviewers were a bit more specific than me, but I didn't even name characters by name. 

For what it's worth, and he brings up his own obvious bias, but I've been hanging around here and have listened to enough Shardcast to feel like I can trust @Chaos review and avoid others for the sake of spoilers. 

Personally, and I try to do this with every new book we get, I'm going to keep expectations reasonable even though I am super excited, remind myself that there's probably something that might not land right for me somewhere in the book but that's ok, and trust in the author's long game since we are nearing the end of the first arc. I'm sure there's allot of plot that needs to tighten up in order for book 5 to stick the landing and really blow our minds. ;)

I think setting expectations low is always a good idea for upcoming media. If your hype is so high, the reality will never meet it.

It's a bit different story if you read part one and are loving it. In that case, the story is selling itself there. 

I'm very ready for this book.  The story, the world-building, the characters....really all of it.  My favorite part of fantasy like this is that, because there's so much, there's opportunity to be re-engaged later in life.  In my first read-through of Wheel of Time, Rand was the plot line I was most interested in, and some of the older characters (Nynaeve) weren't terribly interesting to me.  But, rereading a decade later as the series was finally wrapping up, whose my favorite character?  Nynaeve.

The same is true for Stormlight Archive.   As my life has changed, the parts of the books that stand out, that are relatable change.  Whatever parts I'm not as excited about now, I suspect I may appreciate them all the more at some point in the future.

Now, kindly bring it on!