Pattern

Theory on Navani's blackmailer/threatener [Dawnshard Spoilers!]

4 posts in this topic

After reading Dawnshard and seeing Nikli refer to Navani as "Mother of Machines", my theory on the origin of the threat towards Navani in chapter 9 is that one of the Sleepless has had enough of Navani making progress with fabrials and now tries to stop her.

It would have been easy for a hordeling to enter the Fourth Bridge and deposit the spanreed ruby there without anyone noticing, especially since there are hordelings that are able to fly

Whether it would be a rogue Sleepless like Arclomedarian or one aligned with Yelamaiszin, the First, remains unclear to me.

Edit: Well, this theory of mine can be flushed down. Issue is answered in RoW.

Edited by Pattern
RoW answered this question

I had the same thought back when the chapter first came out.  However now I am less sure as Navani would almost certainly be clued in on who the sleepless were by the time of the spanreed conversation.

She would be clued in to who they are, but I think would have no reason to connect the Sleepless with "advocate for Spren".

I was an advocate of it being a Sleepless, but now I'm in doubt. I still find the Sleepless theory one of the most logicals, but I'm struggling with the fact that because of the events of Dawnshard Navani has a context for what the Sleepless are. The problem here is that IFRC Brandon has said you can dive into RoW without reading Dawnshard. Thing is I don't see a scenario where she doesn't reference that previouse knowledge from Dawnshard if her blackmailer turns out to be a Sleepless ( which would be a Dawnshard spoiler IMHO) The other possibility is that it's a Sleepless but she doesn't find out on this book, but that would simply seem like no pay-off on a plot set from part 1. But then again, it is Sanderson, if someone can Dodge spoilers it's him. So maybe it's a Sleepless and -no surprise- it will be delt with beautifly.