Where is larkin number three?

Czernobog

21 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

Part of me wonders if there was another 4th Larkin in that cave? It seemed like chiri-chiri couldn’t have been the one to make the loud roar, right? I get there could be echo, but I think something else was for sure in there. How it hides I have no idea. 

I think that there's either another Larkin there, or Chiri-chiri took advantage of the acoustics of those skulls.

Rysn says that she swore the skulls were moved to point towards them when she heard the roar, and there's also the imagery of Chiri-chiri standing perched atop one of them, which reminds me of the "standing on the shoulders of giants" phrase. Here's the exact passage:

The roar was so loud that chips fell from the ceiling of the chamber. The hordelings swarming over Rysn and Cord stopped. Nikli had only a semblance of humanity left, his face and chest split open, skin hanging from the backs of the various pieces with twitching legs, his insides squirming and buzzing. But many of the hordelings turned toward the sound.

The door to the side blew open farther, revealing the larger hall with the skulls of dead greatshells. Rysn could have sworn that they’d turned to stare in toward the smaller chamber. Six of them lined the hall, which narrowed as it extended, letting each set of dead eyes look past the ones in front.

Rysn felt something fluttering around her. Glowing white arrowhead spren, moving like fish in an unseen stream, swirling around her and Cord. That roar reverberated in her ears, in her memory. It didn’t repeat, but a higher-pitched squeal echoed in the hallway. And then a small figure leaped up and landed on top of one of the skulls, flapping her wings and letting out a mighty—yet diminutive—roar.

I think it's possible, given the positioning, that Chiri-chiri was behind one of those skulls at the start of the passage. Is it possible that she used the skull kind of like a bullhorn? You can definitely magnify sounds with certain shapes. I don't think it's a huge stretch that there might be some sort of anatomical structure within the skulls that they use to produce really loud sounds. (Chasmfiends might have something similar with the calls seeming like four different ones overlapping). Basically, I think Chiri-chiri might have used the skull as some kind of macabre megaphone.

Or you're right and it's a really big Laceryn down there. That would explain why the ceiling shook, since I'm not sure you could get that with just a bit of amplification.

Edited by Lightspine

On 7/11/2020 at 8:30 AM, teknopathetic said:

Part of me wonders if there was another 4th Larkin in that cave? It seemed like chiri-chiri couldn’t have been the one to make the loud roar, right? I get there could be echo, but I think something else was for sure in there. How it hides I have no idea. 

I think it is a good possibility. I like it. Also would explain why chiri chiri had to come to the island to bond mandras. May be they need sanctification if their bond from that 4th Larkin. 
He went down the corridor and transformed, there has to be something important down there!

I agree there was something more down that corridor. I thought it was odd we didn’t explore more down there? How were the gemstones Cord found infused?

The other larkins Nikli mentioned could be the ones in the Reshi isles. Didn’t the Reshi Prince say that he’d seen two others there that never grew very large ?

Regarding the roar, is it possible that the luckspren somehow amplified/strengthened Chiri Chiri’s roar? We see a number of them in the scene. And we learned that they leant Rock strength to wield the Bow of Hours. They similarly aided Rysn and Cord when they were swimming down to the entrance to the caverns.

22 minutes ago, mdross81 said:

Regarding the roar, is it possible that the luckspren somehow amplified/strengthened Chiri Chiri’s roar? We see a number of them in the scene. And we learned that they leant Rock strength to wield the Bow of Hours. They similarly aided Rysn and Cord when they were swimming down to the entrance to the caverns.

My thoughts on that front are here.