Oathbringer Spoilers - Questions Upon First Reread - Chapter 33 to Chapter 48 (30 Questions)

This_Is_Samer

Hi Everyone,

I am continuing my first reread of Oathbringer and trying to ask any questions I still can't find answers for, here on this subreddit.

Three previous posts gave me some much insight, so I am encouraged to keep posting similar topics :)

The links to the previous question posts are below:

Ch 83 to Epilogue: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/92532-oathbringer-questions-from-chapters-83-to-the-epilogue-33-questions/?do=findComment&comment=1099577

Prologue to Ch 18: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/92700-oathbringer-questions-upon-first-reread-prologue-to-chapter-18-33-questions/?do=findComment&comment=1102910

Ch 19 to Interlude 3: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/92745-questions-upon-first-reread-chapter-19-to-interlude-3-end-of-part-1-33-questions/?do=findComment&comment=1104220

Questions for this part:

1- Evi tells Dalinar that The One can be seen in the Valley of the Old Magic. Does she believe that the Nightwatcher is part of The One?

2- Why can't Rock see Glys?

3- Did Skar help Rock draw Stormlight? - because after he helps Lyn, he mentions this fact

4- Did anyone from Bridge Four bond with the leader of the Honor spren that Rock and Syl saw on the shattered plains while Bridge Four was training?

5- What were the Rock Formations that Navani saw while she was with Dalinar in his vision and she described as being like liquid frozen mid-motion?

6- What was the main reason the humans and the listeners fought during the desolations?

7- Why did some humans take the listeners' side in these desolations?

8- The Stormfather mentions to Dalinar that the blade retrieved from Taln in Kholinar is not his original honor blade. Do we know what happened to that blade?

9- Do we know when did Honor die exactly? Was it during the last desolation or after it?

10- Why couldn't the Stormfather see into Kholinar after the Fused conquered it?

11- Jasnah mentions to Shallan that a full radiant has armor as well as a blade. Has any radiant we know acquired a plate through the method of soeaking advanced levels of oaths?

12- Jasnah wonders how was Shallan able to find Re-Shephir in Urithiru while none of the soldiers in the tower could. Do we know the reason for this?

13- Pattern tells Shallan that the meeting room in Urithiru has memories in Shadesmar. Jasnah asks her to press him for more info. Do we know anything additional?

14- In the letter that the Ghostbloods left for Veil in her coat, they tell her that Nale either destoryed prospective knights radiant or recruited them to become Skybreakers, because Nale believes that people speaking the oaths of any of the other 9 orders hastens the coming of the desolations. Can Nale recruit a prospective Windrunner or Lightweaver for example into the Skybreakers order or is every prospective Knight locked in the order where he / she might fit in?

15- Did Helaran know about his mother's relation with a Skybreaker acolyte? Do we know who was her lover?

16- Who was the member of Amaram's army that bonded a spren and then was eliminated as per the Ghostbloods' letter to Veil?

17- Is the woman that Teft sees reflected in the water of the well, his future spren?

18- Why does Teft say that he was mistaken about his family, and that they weren't heretics?

19- Why does the Stormfather tell Dalinar that what happened between Lift and the Nightwatcher was "unnatural"?

20- Why did the Diagram want to kill Elhokar, and by doing that, giving the throne to Dalinar, while at the same time trying to murder Dalinar as well?

21- Do we know the status of these 3 shardblades in the Fused's possession: blades of Eshonai, Graves and Moash?

22- How did Renarin know that all the fabrials in Urithiru are just one big fabrial?

23- Why didn't the Fused lash Moash up in the sky while transporting him instead of carrying him?

24- Why doesn't Moash have slave brands like other Bridge Four members?

25- Is Teft light-eyed? - because it is mentioned he has dark green eyes

26- Kaladin was wondering why were the Fused attacking trading caravans? Do we have an answer for that?

27- In Taln's ramblings that Jasnah was reading about, he says that in the last desolation, the humans have discovered something unexpected. Any clue what that might be?

28- Why does Ivory tell Jasnah that if they want to find Taln, they should look in Shadesmar?

29- Jasnah mentions her childhood illness which apparently no one other than her remembers in addition to a single event in her life where she didn't use her brain. We probably will have to wait for book 10 to get this story but do we have any additional details or WoB I might have missed on this subject?

30- Which order is Ivory talking about when he tells Jasnah that only one of the orders survived through Death? Is it the Dustbringers or the Skybreakers? And what does that have to do with Death?

13 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

1- Evi tells Dalinar that The One can be seen in the Valley of the Old Magic. Does she believe that the Nightwatcher is part of The One?

I think so.

13 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

I think it's because Glys stays inside Renarin. I haven't though about this before, but maybe Renarin has a gemheart?

15 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

3- Did Skar help Rock draw Stormlight? - because after he helps Lyn, he mentions this fact

He didn't do it on-screen, but I think so.

17 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

6- What was the main reason the humans and the listeners fought during the desolations?

The first desolation was probably because of human greed, possibly Odium's interference, but the later ones were probably due to the fused.

18 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

Because they wanted power, thought the parshmen were right, or any other reason humans normally take sides in a war.

19 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

8- The Stormfather mentions to Dalinar that the blade retrieved from Taln in Kholinar is not his original honor blade. Do we know what happened to that blade?

It was switched out during the journey to the shattered plains.

20 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

9- Do we know when did Honor die exactly? Was it during the last desolation or after it?

I don't think we do, although he was still alive during the recreance.

21 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

10- Why couldn't the Stormfather see into Kholinar after the Fused conquered it?

I would guess it was because of the influence of one of the unmade, although we don't know for sure.

22 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

11- Jasnah mentions to Shallan that a full radiant has armor as well as a blade. Has any radiant we know acquired a plate through the method of soeaking advanced levels of oaths?

Jasnah might have, but we have not seen anyone gain Plate onscreen.

22 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

12- Jasnah wonders how was Shallan able to find Re-Shephir in Urithiru while none of the soldiers in the tower could. Do we know the reason for this?

You saw Shallan finding Re-Shepir, Jasnah didn't. For Jasnah, it seems like Shallan just found one of the unmade out of nowhere.

24 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

17- Is the woman that Teft sees reflected in the water of the well, his future spren?

That is his spren, which he has already begun bonding. I believe he has said the first two oaths.

25 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

18- Why does Teft say that he was mistaken about his family, and that they weren't heretics?

Because the Knights Radiant did return.

25 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

19- Why does the Stormfather tell Dalinar that what happened between Lift and the Nightwatcher was "unnatural"?

It was actually between Lift and Cultivation, and I would guess that the Stormfather was commenting on how Lift seems to be stuck partially into the cognitive realm.

26 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

20- Why did the Diagram want to kill Elhokar, and by doing that, giving the throne to Dalinar, while at the same time trying to murder Dalinar as well?

Graves thought that killing Elhokar would make Dalinar into a warlord again, which is what the diagram wanted, while Taravangian wanted to kill Dalinar immediately.

29 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

23- Why didn't the Fused lash Moash up in the sky while transporting him instead of carrying him?

Because it would have wasted wasted too much voidlight. I believe that when the fused use lashings on themselves, they are incredibly efficient, while doing so on other people is much less so.

32 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

He was never a slave. He joined the military, and they put him into the bridge crews.

32 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

It doesn't matter what color your eyes are, but what shade. A lot of darkeyes simply have a really dark shade of a lighteyed eye color.

33 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

27- In Taln's ramblings that Jasnah was reading about, he says that in the last desolation, the humans have discovered something unexpected. Any clue what that might be?

I believe he is talking about the Nahel bond.

34 minutes ago, This_Is_Samer said:

30- Which order is Ivory talking about when he tells Jasnah that only one of the orders survived through Death? Is it the Dustbringers or the Skybreakers? And what does that have to do with Death?

I believe he is talking about the skybreakers, and the way they began killing all the other Radiant orders.

9 hours ago, This_Is_Samer said:

From what Ym tells, the Iriali who believe in the One believe that everyone is a part of the One (Like The Egg by Andy Weir)

Rock can see most spren but some are a little bit more in the Cognitive (most spren) or can hide themselves in the Physical itself (like Pattern or Ivory). We don't know how exactly Glys does it but being Corrupted by Sja-Anat plays a part in it.

Hmm, if he said so

4- Did anyone from Bridge Four bond with the leader of the Honor spren that Rock and Syl saw on the shattered plains while Bridge Four was training?

Phendorana? Not that we know of

5- What were the Rock Formations that Navani saw while she was with Dalinar in his vision and she described as being like liquid frozen mid-motion?

Those rock formations were probably caused by the Surge of Cohesion, which is shared by Willshapers and Stonewards

For control over Roshar

Because, like the Skybreakers, they felt that was the correct side as Roshar originally belonged to the Singers

Nope

He was still alive during the Last Desolation (Aharietiam), the False Desolation and the Day of Recreance, that is why he could show some of those events in the Visions

We don't know yet 

11- Jasnah mentions to Shallan that a full radiant has armor as well as a blade. Has any radiant we know acquired a plate through the method of speaking advanced levels of oaths?

Possibly Jasnah and Shallan. Adolin might've seen a glimpse of Jasnah's Shardplate at the Battle of Thaylen City and while Shallan was casting the wide illusion, her real body was Radiant, not Shallan or Veil, and she was wearing a Shardplate

Shallan (Lightweaver) and Renarin (Corrupted Truthwatcher) could sense her somehow... 

13- Pattern tells Shallan that the meeting room in Urithiru has memories in Shadesmar. Jasnah asks her to press him for more info. Do we know anything additional?

Not so far

14- In the letter that the Ghostbloods left for Veil in her coat, they tell her that Nale either destoryed prospective knights radiant or recruited them to become Skybreakers, because Nale believes that people speaking the oaths of any of the other 9 orders hastens the coming of the desolations. Can Nale recruit a prospective Windrunner or Lightweaver for example into the Skybreakers order or is every prospective Knight locked in the order where he / she might fit in?

A Squire for one Order can become a Knight in a different Order

15- Did Helaran know about his mother's relation with a Skybreaker acolyte? Do we know who was her lover?

He probably did, it might've been how he got in touch with them. We don't know the lover's identity yet

16- Who was the member of Amaram's army that bonded a spren and then was eliminated as per the Ghostbloods' letter to Veil?

Probably referring to Tien

I don't remember this scene, post the paragraph from the book when you want a particular scene deciphered.

The Envisagers wanted the Knights Radiant to return. You can read more about them in the wiki: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Envisagers

Because Lift was partially in the Cognitive Realm as a result of her Boon 

The Diagram wanted instability, and Dalinar as the dreaded Blackthorn could provide it. This was Taravangian's idea: ask Odium to save his kingdom, conquer and make the whole world his kingdom

21- Do we know the status of these 3 shardblades in the Fused's possession: blades of Eshonai, Graves and Moash?

We don't. We might see them again in RoW

22- How did Renarin know that all the fabrials in Urithiru are just one big fabrial?

Observation, feeling in his gut and talking with Glys

Possibly because that costed more Voidlight 

The Bridge Four tattooes? He has them on his shoulder rather than his forehead

No he's dark eyed, the Bridge 4 were goofing around, seeing what each other's eye colour would be if they were Lighteyes. Some of them seemed to have dark shades of green (Teft & Moash) or even violet (I forget who). I thought that light coloured eyes grew dark over generations in Roshar but I think they were retconned, at least Moash's eye colour was.

26- Kaladin was wondering why were the Fused attacking trading caravans? Do we have an answer for that?

They were looking for something, iirc. 

Surgebinding. Taln is referring to the Knights Radiant.

28- Why does Ivory tell Jasnah that if they want to find Taln, they should look in Shadesmar?

The Heralds look different from the Cognitive Realm 

29- Jasnah mentions her childhood illness which apparently no one other than her remembers in addition to a single event in her life where she didn't use her brain. We probably will have to wait for book 10 to get this story but do we have any additional details or WoB I might have missed on this subject?

We don't. We do hear a mention of it from Gavilar in Dalinar's flashbacks 

Skybreakers. By "Death" he's referring to the Recreance. Unlike the other Knights Radiant Orders, the Skybreakers did not disband during the Recreance and continued to the True Desolation.

Edited by Honorless

On 11/6/2020 at 9:12 PM, Nameless said:

I think so.

I think it's because Glys stays inside Renarin. I haven't though about this before, but maybe Renarin has a gemheart?

He didn't do it on-screen, but I think so.

The first desolation was probably because of human greed, possibly Odium's interference, but the later ones were probably due to the fused.

Because they wanted power, thought the parshmen were right, or any other reason humans normally take sides in a war.

It was switched out during the journey to the shattered plains.

I don't think we do, although he was still alive during the recreance.

I would guess it was because of the influence of one of the unmade, although we don't know for sure.

Jasnah might have, but we have not seen anyone gain Plate onscreen.

You saw Shallan finding Re-Shepir, Jasnah didn't. For Jasnah, it seems like Shallan just found one of the unmade out of nowhere.

That is his spren, which he has already begun bonding. I believe he has said the first two oaths.

Because the Knights Radiant did return.

It was actually between Lift and Cultivation, and I would guess that the Stormfather was commenting on how Lift seems to be stuck partially into the cognitive realm.

Graves thought that killing Elhokar would make Dalinar into a warlord again, which is what the diagram wanted, while Taravangian wanted to kill Dalinar immediately.

Because it would have wasted wasted too much voidlight. I believe that when the fused use lashings on themselves, they are incredibly efficient, while doing so on other people is much less so.

He was never a slave. He joined the military, and they put him into the bridge crews.

It doesn't matter what color your eyes are, but what shade. A lot of darkeyes simply have a really dark shade of a lighteyed eye color.

I believe he is talking about the Nahel bond.

I believe he is talking about the skybreakers, and the way they began killing all the other Radiant orders.

Thank you. That was helpful!

On 11/6/2020 at 0:37 PM, This_Is_Samer said:

I don’t KNOW exactly, but I think that Shallan as a Lightweaver has an affinity for Re-Shephir. After all, The Nightmother was creating imitations of life presumably in an effort to be more alive or more human or to understand the nature of either one.

I think it the the creation of illusions and not quite ‘Reality’ that connects the Lightweavers to Re-Shephir. And that there will be other order correlations that work similarly.

Jasnah wonders because she hasn’t asked the right questions. If she asked the right ones, I think she would make the connection.

Edited by IllNsickly

On 11/6/2020 at 0:37 PM, This_Is_Samer said:

Hi Everyone,

I am continuing my first reread of Oathbringer and trying to ask any questions I still can't find answers for, here on this subreddit.

Three previous posts gave me some much insight, so I am encouraged to keep posting similar topics :)

The links to the previous question posts are below:

Ch 83 to Epilogue: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/92532-oathbringer-questions-from-chapters-83-to-the-epilogue-33-questions/?do=findComment&comment=1099577

Prologue to Ch 18: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/92700-oathbringer-questions-upon-first-reread-prologue-to-chapter-18-33-questions/?do=findComment&comment=1102910

Ch 19 to Interlude 3: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/92745-questions-upon-first-reread-chapter-19-to-interlude-3-end-of-part-1-33-questions/?do=findComment&comment=1104220

Questions for this part:

1.  Yes. An aspect or an avatar. Everything is part of the One.  

2.  Glys is corrupted. But, it might be a Truthwatcher spren ability. For instance, High Spren (skybreakers)  chose who hears and sees them, including their surgebinder.

3.  I think so.  Seems to align with one of the Windrunner virtues, leading.

4. I think later? On chapter 55 of my reread so unsure. 

5.  Not sure if there's any special significance.   Could be soulcast or altered by surgebinding.  

6.  Too much to unpack without its own dedicated thread. Largely a war of survival on the humans part and a war of genocide on the singers part.  The singers didn't want them around to begin with, and humans did things Singers didn't like.  

7. Greed, lust for power, axe to grind.  Giving your pain to Odium is definitely a thing. I'm sure some genuinely believed in the cause, as well. 

8. No. Someone switched then out.  Either because they wanted it or because they wanted to obscure Taln's identity.  

9.  A bit previous to the Recreance and "false desolation." Every generation of Knights Radiant learned "the truth," but was bolstered and reassured by Honor. That was the first generation where that didn't take place.  (Roughly 2000 years ago, 2500 years after the "Last Desolation")

10. Good question.  Odium's investiture may have been Obscuring.  Also. The surviving humans were using Aluminum to shield soulcasters from detection. 

11. Jasnah may have. It's a good bet Nale and some of his skybreakers have as well. 

12.  Another Lightweaver imprisoned her and "understood" her. I think it has something to do with that. Though Shallan's madness and fractured soul may play a part.  

13. Pattern was sensing the existence of the gem library/archive.  The Shadesmar part was an assumption on Shallan's part. 

14. I think Nale would only recruit those he thought would make good skybreakers.  The High Spren trust his judgment and won't bond anyone doesn't vouch for.

15. I don't think we do. He might have, Helaran was a skybreaker apprentice who hadn't bonded yet.  

16. Tien

17. I'd say so.  She mentions oaths that Teft swore.  

18. Because Kaladin exists.  

19. Cuz Lift is freaky! Lol I think because she has abilities that's shouldn't be possible under normal circumstances.  

20. Because Mr. T gave Graves permission to follow his own interpretation of the Diagram.  Killing Elhokar was Grave's jam.  

21. We know they have them. That's about it.  

22. Esoteric knowledge is the Truthwatcher jam. Also might have to do with his corrupted spren and Renarin possibly voidbinding. 

23. Might have to do with efficiency of voidlight and how it operates. For instance, surgebinders accelerate faster, but voidbinders attain higher top end speed. 

24. Never a slave, his Bridge 4 tat is on shoulder. 

25. No. Its the hue not the color.  Dark gray would be dark eyes, tan lighteyes. 

26. No sure about this. Possibly looking for something specific. 

27. Nahel Bond

28. Souls are easier to detect there and some burn. Brighter than others.

29. I don't think we know much.

30. Skybreakers. Dead to the world.  

12 hours ago, Chanarach said:

1.  Yes. An aspect or an avatar. Everything is part of the One.  

2.  Glys is corrupted. But, it might be a Truthwatcher spren ability. For instance, High Spren (skybreakers)  chose who hears and sees them, including their surgebinder.

3.  I think so.  Seems to align with one of the Windrunner virtues, leading.

4. I think later? On chapter 55 of my reread so unsure. 

5.  Not sure if there's any special significance.   Could be soulcast or altered by surgebinding.  

6.  Too much to unpack without its own dedicated thread. Largely a war of survival on the humans part and a war of genocide on the singers part.  The singers didn't want them around to begin with, and humans did things Singers didn't like.  

7. Greed, lust for power, axe to grind.  Giving your pain to Odium is definitely a thing. I'm sure some genuinely believed in the cause, as well. 

8. No. Someone switched then out.  Either because they wanted it or because they wanted to obscure Taln's identity.  

9.  A bit previous to the Recreance and "false desolation." Every generation of Knights Radiant learned "the truth," but was bolstered and reassured by Honor. That was the first generation where that didn't take place.  (Roughly 2000 years ago, 2500 years after the "Last Desolation")

10. Good question.  Odium's investiture may have been Obscuring.  Also. The surviving humans were using Aluminum to shield soulcasters from detection. 

11. Jasnah may have. It's a good bet Nale and some of his skybreakers have as well. 

12.  Another Lightweaver imprisoned her and "understood" her. I think it has something to do with that. Though Shallan's madness and fractured soul may play a part.  

13. Pattern was sensing the existence of the gem library/archive.  The Shadesmar part was an assumption on Shallan's part. 

14. I think Nale would only recruit those he thought would make good skybreakers.  The High Spren trust his judgment and won't bond anyone doesn't vouch for.

15. I don't think we do. He might have, Helaran was a skybreaker apprentice who hadn't bonded yet.  

16. Tien

17. I'd say so.  She mentions oaths that Teft swore.  

18. Because Kaladin exists.  

19. Cuz Lift is freaky! Lol I think because she has abilities that's shouldn't be possible under normal circumstances.  

20. Because Mr. T gave Graves permission to follow his own interpretation of the Diagram.  Killing Elhokar was Grave's jam.  

21. We know they have them. That's about it.  

22. Esoteric knowledge is the Truthwatcher jam. Also might have to do with his corrupted spren and Renarin possibly voidbinding. 

23. Might have to do with efficiency of voidlight and how it operates. For instance, surgebinders accelerate faster, but voidbinders attain higher top end speed. 

24. Never a slave, his Bridge 4 tat is on shoulder. 

25. No. Its the hue not the color.  Dark gray would be dark eyes, tan lighteyes. 

26. No sure about this. Possibly looking for something specific. 

27. Nahel Bond

28. Souls are easier to detect there and some burn. Brighter than others.

29. I don't think we know much.

30. Skybreakers. Dead to the world.  

Great amswers. Thank you. Didn't know about the High Spren being the spren of Skybreakers