Lets draw a picture

Elsecaller_17.5

I seem to have a very different mental picture of this mural to the thatn the rest of you so I drew a couple pictures.  First here's the desccription.

The peculiar letters were art themselves, curling around the outside of the exploding sun—which was divided into mostly symmetrical pieces. Four of them, each in turn broken into four smaller sections.

You seem to be imagining Mural 1.  4 pieces broken into 4 more smaller pieces representing the 16 shards and confirming the 4 divisons of shards theory.  I don't think that can be right because the quote reads "4 of them" are further broken down.  This would imply there are more pieces of Ado then the 16 shards.

I think it looks like Mural 2. 16 rays for 16 shards 4 shaterred for devotion, dominion, ambition, and honor.

What do you guys think, and pardon my ms paint.

mural 1.png

mural 2.png

I don't see any ambiguity. The sun is broken up into four large pieces, and each of the large pieces is broken into four smaller pieces. It's not saying "4 of the large pieces were broken into smaller pieces," it's saying "there were 4 large pieces."

I'll counter with my own MSPaint mastery. You've got a single sun. It gets broken up into four identifiable, symmetrical pieces. And each of those pieces, in turn, is broken up. Sixteen pieces of Adonalsium, the sixteen Shards.

shattering.png.3f319326bd9b3189e15fc5e2f0ddfd6b.png

23 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

The peculiar letters were art themselves, curling around the outside of the exploding sun—which was divided into mostly symmetrical pieces. Four of them, each in turn broken into four smaller sections.

I'm with Pagerunner on this. I think the "-" in the quote was placed there exactly to remove the ambiguity. The sun itself is divided into symmetrical pieces. Which pieces, there being four of them, are broken into four smaller sections.

I finally have time to go through all the Dawnshard threads, and it's funny because I was just drawing with my daughter tonight, and I found myself thinking about the ways Adonalsium could have Shattered into 4's into 4's.

Here are some variations I drew with roughly equivalent area shards. 

20201114_011108.jpg.65e20b178ab063219a29524529c2ce0b.jpg

• 4 months later...

Love all the thoughts and depictions here. I’ve reread that chapter so many times now. After googling so many red/gold foil inlay murals, I think I’ve come up with a realistic depiction of the Akinah mural. I’m just missing the unknown boarder script. And, although it wasn’t part of the description in Dawnshard, I’ve snuck the Cosmere symbol into the mural’s structure - because why not. What do you all think?

1386C60B-A868-43C6-B579-8A84B5D29AF8.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 7:11 PM, NebularSkies said:

@Hoiditthroughthegrapevine I’m so glad you like it, and thanks for the welcome. Here’s another I’ve drawn - not the mural, but a depiction of the shattering.

That's beautiful, great work! 

I would love to see the Shattering animated! 

• 2 years later...
On 6/27/2023 at 5:28 PM, LukeMeyers said:

Wow, your artistic skills are impressive! I really appreciate the effort you put into drawing this beautiful piece....

Please try not to post in threads from more than like 6 months ago, unless you have something really good to add to the conversation; it's technically against shard policy. It's mostly for organizational purposes (I think?).  If you want to show your appreciation, you can just give some rep, but yes it is a very cool drawing...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 4:39 PM, Argenti said:

Please try not to post in threads from more than like 6 months ago, unless you have something really good to add to the conversation; it's technically against shard policy. It's mostly for organizational purposes (I think?).  If you want to show your appreciation, you can just give some rep, but yes it is a very cool drawing...

I'm going to contradict this, at least to an extent, as I really don't have a problem with this thread being replied to. Creative types are, IME, rarely ones to take offense to praise, even if it's on old work.

Now, the fact that the replies look like they might be from bots, that's another story. But that's what the Report button is for.

1 minute ago, Kaymyth said:

I'm going to contradict this, at least to an extent, as I really don't have a problem with this thread being replied to. Creative types are, IME, rarely ones to take offense to praise, even if it's on old work.

Now, the fact that the replies look like they might be from bots, that's another story. But that's what the Report button is for.

oh ok!