Biggest Cosmere Flex?

HipsterStick

On 11/5/2020 at 5:39 PM, HipsterStick said:

As the title says- what's the biggest flex in the Cosmere?

Re-reading Hero of Ages, I would definitely consider it to be when

Reveal hidden contents

Elend and Vin attend the ball in Fadrex- i.e., the city they've been besieging.

On 11/5/2020 at 5:46 PM, Koloss17 said:

Hero of ages:

Reveal hidden contents

The reveal about the koloss and human saying “I am a human!”

Noobs. You forget Daliner

Spoiler

went out into a highstorm just to find his stormin knife to eat some pork! That's the equivalent of someone going out into a hurricane to get ketchup for his burger!

Edited by Aspiring Writer

Yup, Oathbringer flashbacks

Spoiler

Dalinar gets up to get his knife out in the Highstorm, then shows the finger to a Stormstrider who flings a giant rock at him

Also Final Empire

Spoiler

How Kelsier gets Inquisitors off others trails by getting them to try & hunt him instead

and of course The Stick flexing on Shallan, refusing to be fire and being so much more set in its Identity compared to her. Double flexing!

Edited by Honorless

I feel like the Lord Ruler is pretty flexy when

Spoiler

He stands there with two spears in his chest and gives the biggest backhand in history to Kelsier, picking out the spears and throws them aside.

He is also generally quite a flexer! :P

Spoiler

Szeth just sort of happens to show up at the supposedly-surprise-attack battle, joins Dalinar, and nobody has a problem with it other than a single sarcastic remark from the woman whose dad he assassinated and then her brother literally committed genocide over it.

Oathbringer

3 hours ago, Krox said:

I feel like the Lord Ruler is pretty flexy when

Reveal hidden contents

He stands there with two spears in his chest and gives the biggest backhand in history to Kelsier, picking out the spears and throws them aside.

He is also generally quite a flexer! :P

Oh yeah and then he-

Spoiler

looks at the decapitated inquisitor (and nobody had ever successfully fought off an Inquisitor before) and remarks that they are difficult to create.

Heck, the Lord Ruler's entrance was the definition of flexing

Words of Radiance

Spoiler

Wit waiting for Jasnah in the middle of nowhere as if expecting her, before nonchalantly telling her that shardblades pose no threat to him and that everything she has been working towards (Finding Urithiru, refounding the Radiants, the Everstorm) has either already been done or already happened.

5 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

As someone born in the cold north, and not naturally proficient in the english language, would someone kindly explain the meaning of "flex" in this thread?

Scandinavian, Russian, Viking (Iceland), Canadian or Danish slave (Greenland)?
I can translate to at least one of these!

But "flexing" means to boast, to be very assure of yourself and know how strong/smart/*insert attribute here* you are compared to another person.
If you know you are much stronger than someone you could flex by armwrestling them with your off-hand instead of your main hand.

Am I making any sense?

4 hours ago, Krox said:

Scandinavian, Russian, Viking (Iceland), Canadian or Danish slave (Greenland)?
I can translate to at least one of these!

But "flexing" means to boast, to be very assure of yourself and know how strong/smart/*insert attribute here* you are compared to another person.
If you know you are much stronger than someone you could flex by armwrestling them with your off-hand instead of your main hand.

Am I making any sense?

Swedish, so Scandinavian. Thankfully not a danish slave. Danish is not a pretty language, and they have tried to steal Sweden numerous times in the past. Plus, their football team is usually better than ours. 

Also, yeah, makes total sense! Thanks, I get it now!

5 hours ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Oathbringer

Hide contents

Y'all keep talking about Dalinar with is is knife but what about walking into an army of voidbringers with a stormin book!

YOU DARE UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF BOOKS, MORTAL?!

On 11/6/2020 at 2:51 AM, Bacon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Szeth just sort of happens to show up at the supposedly-surprise-attack battle, joins Dalinar, and nobody has a problem with it other than a single sarcastic remark from the woman whose dad he assassinated and then her brother literally committed genocide over it.

Oathbringer

Spoiler

Not sure that's a flex, but I really hope in RoW, the fact he's the Assassin in White gets mentioned more. I refuse to believe he'd be accepted after all the stuff he did.

Spoiler

“Do you know,” Kelsier said, “why I always won at card tricks, Ruin?” 

“Please,” Ruin said. “Does this matter?”

“It’s because,” Kelsier said, grunting in pain, his power taut, “I could always. Force. People to choose. The card I wanted them to.”

From Secret History.  This moment is awesome for a lot of reasons, but being able to con an ancient force of destruction and entity? That’s pretty awesome.

Particularly the reaction:

Spoiler

Ruin paused, then looked down. The letter—delivered by Goradel not to Vin, but to Marsh—did its job.

Marsh ripped free Vin’s earring.

The world froze. Ruin, vast and immortal, looked on with complete and utter horror.

He cons THREE different gods (more if we count the Elantrians) at various points in the novella, but this was best by far.

I'd say Dalinar dueling Fen's son. It's basically as straightforward of a definition of a flex as you can get - he shows off his strength in such a way so as to communicate I am so much stronger than you in so many different ways.

First, he shows that he can win the duel under ridiculously unfair terms - he stays in the ring, unharmed, for the requisite amount of time. Offering and winning that duel would itself be a flex, but he takes it even further - he lets the guy impale him with a sword, and goes "Yeah, I suppose you could stab me. So what? Don't care."

Doubleflex. I think that makes this the best one.

On 11/7/2020 at 9:57 PM, Aspiring Writer said:

YOU DARE UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF BOOKS, MORTAL?!

Hide contents

Not sure that's a flex, but I really hope in RoW, the fact he's the Assassin in White gets mentioned more. I refuse to believe he'd be accepted after all the stuff he did.

I won't actually tell you what happens, but it has been addressed already in the pre-release chapters.

Spoiler

When Dalinar almost Dies from an arrow thrown at him at a very far distance, then goes all the way to where the bowman is, kicks him to the ground, casually talks to him and tels him to be in his army. Right after killing his highprince and probably a lot of his friends.

Oathbringer again!