Shin

bridge7

Say something if I'm just stupid, but I never noticed that literally everyone on roshar was slightly Asian (eyes) and that shin were white people until I read this-

Questioner

I know you went on mission in Korea, as did I, did anything come from that?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah...(this is a break, not him pausing in speech) I don't know if you've read The Way of Kings… I don't know if you know but everyone's Asian, right? Like Szeth, the white dude, is the one that looks weird them. And that's just because-- It was partially influenced by that.

1 hour ago, bridge7 said:

Say something if I'm just stupid, but I never noticed that literally everyone on roshar was slightly Asian (eyes) and that shin were white people until I read this-

Questioner

I know you went on mission in Korea, as did I, did anything come from that?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah...(this is a break, not him pausing in speech) I don't know if you've read The Way of Kings… I don't know if you know but everyone's Asian, right? Like Szeth, the white dude, is the one that looks weird them. And that's just because-- It was partially influenced by that.

Not stupid at all!  It's definitely not something that's super-obvious.  And there's not a lot of obvious ways to clue readers in to that without coming across as potentially problematic, or not genuine to the characters in the story.  Eye color means a great deal to Alethkar and Jah Keved, so that's one of the first things that they look at and look for.  And to them, their eyes are normal, what they see all the time; that's why they call out the Shin for having a different shape.  So it's left pretty much entirely up to the reader to understand that the Shin are different, what that difference is, and what that being different means for the looks others.

Because of the subtlety of the description it becomes very easy for a certain image to be locked in place in the reader's mind before they ever figure it out.  So on the one hand I'm like, 'wow, that's an awesome way to combine description and world-building in a very true to the story manner that rewards the reader when they solve the puzzle' but on the other I'm like 'I didn't even know there was a puzzle'.

32 minutes ago, Ghanderflaffle said:

I feel like it's common for people to picture a main people in a book to look like themselves.

I hope that this is common, but I'm intensely self-centered and this is one of those assumptions I don't feel safe to make.  I do know that there have been some people that I follow for writing advice that say that it's important to hit the reader early and then look for excuses to reinforce the differences when including a diverse cast (and also some good suggestions on how to do so in ways that aren't demeaning, objectifying, or making it seem like their only purpose is to check a box off a list). 

I'm not sure if keeping the cool puzzle is worth readers like me not realizing that the main cast looks fairly different than me (see: self-centered).  Also not sure how to cause the description without it seeming completely out of place for the character and the scene.  There some potential for it to happen in the prologue of WoK, with Szeth, but the nature of what follows could easily make for that being quite problematic.

50 minutes ago, Ghanderflaffle said:

I feel like it's common for people to picture a main people in a book to look like themselves.

Agreed, it’s human nature for our imaginations to default in our own mind to somewhat similar to ourselves. I assumed they were white until I learned otherwise, then I preferred to think of them as Asian.

An example of this in real life is if you go to a Christian church in Africa, you will find their depictions of Jesus are of him as a black man, while in America he is depicted as a white man, when in reality he was neither. I think that’s okay to do to an extent, and I think Brandon would agree as he’s stated especially with pronunciations that they are pronounced however you pronounce them. The characters are yours in your mind, in other words.

Edited by Knight of Iron

5 minutes ago, kaellok said:

I hope that this is common, but I'm intensely self-centered and this is one of those assumptions I don't feel safe to make. 

I agree with what you are saying, though for me I feel I never assume someone’s race rather than subconsciously forming their image in my head. It’s not something I pay extremely close attention to, and so everything reverts to default.

heck, my brain doesn’t even try sometimes with some of these descriptive words. I see comments on fanart and stuff  commenting on descriptive inaccuracies of how they imagine them differently, while in my mind they’ve looked for the most part like a freakin blank slate lol.

Same as @Matrim's DiceAnd for some reason I always thought of shin as being more Asian, I think I just saw stuff about the eyes and "child like stature"(alethi are tall) and thought Asian, which is weird because I am  half asian. Stereotypes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And i totally agree with @Ghanderflaffle
because I look white

Edited by bridge7

11 minutes ago, bridge7 said:

Same as @Matrim's DiceAnd for some reason I always thought of shin as being more Asian, I think I just saw stuff about the eyes and "child like stature"(alethi are tall) and thought Asian, which is weird because I am  half asian. Stereotypes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And i totally agree with @Ghanderflaffle
because I look white

Well I am white, so I would hope I look white. :P