Who will be the main interlude viewpoint?

LuckyJim

So, in every book there's one character who gets at least one viewpoint in each set of interludes, first it was Szeth, then Eshonai, then Venli. I've seen people discuss what the different groupings will be, but I haven't seen people talk about who will be filling this position for Rhythm of War. Maybe there has been and I just missed it, but I'm kind of curious. We're two weeks away from RoW, we've basically seen all of part 1 and a couple interludes, who do you think will be the main interlude viewpoint character?

I think it's all but certain that it's going to be Moash. He already kind of had this position in Oathbringer where he got a few viewpoints through the book, but considering the main viewpoint groupings are almost clear at this point, he probably won't get any in the main parts. What I think makes this most likely is the fact that in each previous book, the main interlude viewpoint was taken by a villain. Moash has had some major buildup in his character growth, both internally and in his position within Odium's forces as basically a human Fused, not to mention becoming sort of a leader figure to normal singers.

If not Moash, my next guess would be Renarin. He's always been kind of separate from everyone else, we never really know what his deal is and there's kind of some mystery surrounding him. That being said, now that the whole thing with Glys has been revealed, it's a good time to actually start exploring his character and figuring out what exactly is goin on with him.

59 minutes ago, LuckyJim said:

If not Moash, my next guess would be Renarin. He's always been kind of separate from everyone else, we never really know what his deal is and there's kind of some mystery surrounding him. That being said, now that the whole thing with Glys has been revealed, it's a good time to actually start exploring his character and figuring out what exactly is goin on with him.

Renarin, Jasnah, and the Heralds are going to be fleshed out in the back five. Brandon has said Renarin and Jasnah are like pandora's box. Once you start digging into them, all this stuff is opened up, so he has to be very careful in how much he shows them. All from his own mouth. I can add the WoB later if you like. 

29 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Renarin, Jasnah, and the Heralds are going to be fleshed out in the back five. Brandon has said Renarin and Jasnah are like pandora's box. Once you start digging into them, all this stuff is opened up, so he has to be very careful in how much he shows them. All from his own mouth. I can add the WoB later if you like. 

I vaguely remember reading something like that.

I don't think it's impossible that Renarin could get a few more viewpoints, I'd argue that the reveal of Glys is already opening the box a bit, and we're already starting to see more of Jasnah and the Heralds. Restricting him to interludes could be a decent way to tease out more information.

That being said, Renarin was my second guess, if I had to bet on one or the other, I definitely thing it would be Moash/Vyre. Reading some of Brandon's annotations in the preview chapters, it seems like he has plans for him.

I think it will fall a little something like this:

We already have a Syl interlude confirmed (see newsletter attached interlude)
I think we will get at least one interlude from Moash/Vyre or Leshwi (maybe even one from both)
I don't think there will be interludes from Szeth or Taravangian, instead they will both get some main story chapters (though not many) that tie into the story at that point
We have the Rysn interlude that all the books have had so far, which seems to be a continuing trend
Maybe another from Axies the Collector, to get some more information on Aimians?

I hope that it is either Rlain or Taravangian. Either one would be much more interesting than Moash, IMHO. My preference would be Rlain, since RoW is a bit too human-dominated for a "singer" book for my taste. But Taravangian would be interesting too, particularly since I suspect that he'll die at the end of this installment.

@Realmatic Shadow:

There is a WoB that Szeth will only get one Interlude, but Taravangian might well get main story chapters, since Lirin's PoV in Part 1 seems to have been a one-off.

42 minutes ago, Honorless said:

I think it's going to be Moash or Leshwi too

Leshwi would be cool! I have a strong aversion to Moash getting a lot viewpoints. His POVs in OB were the only part that dragged for me. 

He’s depressed Kaladin without Syl around to liven things up. Granted it’s been year and he may have changed some.

The other thing is he seems to have something supernatural going on with him with the way he tried to appeal to Kaladin to give up his pain. Maybe not, that’s speculation.

If there is something supernatural I would think Brandon will wait to reveal that secret until aa climactic moment and having a bunch of interludes could hurt that. 

But your right, Moash is a strong possibility.

11 hours ago, Black_Shoshan said:

I'm personally hoping for Rlain. There seems to have been some setup for him to have some sort of arc/plot in this book, and I'll be disappointed if it ends up as a tiny subplot told through Kaladin's pov. 

We could really use a Singer Bondsmith ...

We need to unite them, it seems logical we will have one by the end of the series and no other potential candidates as of yet

I dont necessarily think this will happen, but... the Interlude character could very well be Nale. 

Brandon has said in the past that we will learn a lot more about him, and I suspect that much of that information will come in the front five, seeing as Nale has actually been quite a prominent character this far, defenitely the Herald with the most screen time. I also think that it could be useful to start showcase a bit more about Helaran, the Heralds dealings with Gavilar, and Ishars shenanigans, all of which are things tied to the front five. Nale is also on the side of Odium at the moment, and would give us a point of view on that side of the war. In addition, due to his ability to fly, he is a very mobile character, and can thus cover various locations if needed. 

2 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

He's interesting. Hopefully we get a bit of Odium through him since Odium doesn't seem to talk to Venli anymore. 

THat's what I hope too. I think we will. I like how this last chapter was planting the seeds of confusion about T among the coalition and the thin ice he's on. It will be interesting to compare his interactions with Odium with Venli's and Moash's from prior books: is he numb, like Moash? Scared, like Venli? Is he still holding out hope that he can act differently from Odium's will? Is he still having good/bad days and what does Odium think about that? So much to figure out. 

I'd imagine in some way he is, even if he's not doing it on purpose.  Big T's affliction was done by Cultivation after all, and we see how her meddling benefited Dalinar in the long run.  She's definitely playing the long(er) game, and I think the diagram/T dog's 'treason' is ultimately going to play into her plans.