RoW Chapter 18 Discussion

Jofwu

Kaladin seems to be relegated to the B plot rn, I imagine we will won’t see a lot of kaladin until the end of the book from here, but when the enemy attacks urithiru I bet they take over the tower mostly and kaladin has to drive them back maybe leshwi helps him by stabbing ing raboniel in the back and then the sibling wakes back up maybe navani bonds it while trapped in the core during the whole ordeal

7 minutes ago, Honorless said:

0) metal that conducts Stormlight, Navani theorises that empty gem serves as a low pressure area to siphon Stormlight from high pressure areas (Radiants), might be how gems store Stormlight from the Highstorm

Not exactly maybe. The fused gems have voidlight in them and it's thier sudden removal that cause the pressure differential. And the metal conducts stormlight and leeches it from a Radiant in contact.  

In normal practice. The gem stones are simply empty before the Highstorm

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

8 minutes ago, Honorless said:

0) metal that conducts Stormlight, Navani theorises that empty gem serves as a low pressure area to siphon Stormlight from high pressure areas (Radiants), might be how gems store Stormlight from the Highstorm

Similar physics to a water pump.  One of the first human mechanisms.  It might also explain why you need a solid contact the whole time..

5 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Dead-end hallways, I don't have a good guess at; maybe there's a Lightweaving control station or map or something down there? You don't need a room, because everything is virtual?

I was thinking they might be to balance airflow or confuse invaders.  They might also be prison doors of the type you speculated that just happen to be closed.

7 minutes ago, PrinceGenocide said:

I think navani would be able to identify aluminium or test it

I would say the same of nicrosil though so chromium becomes the obvious answer.

Edited by Karger

I think the epigraph is clearly referencing the natural process of electricity.  The way electricity works is based on what is called "Potential Difference" aka - Voltage.  Create a potential difference and you will get voltage and current, causing power to flow.  And think about the name too - Stormlight - obvious ties to Lightning where we first learned about electricity in real life.  I think the epigraph is foreshadowing that Stormlight can be used a little bit like real world electricity.  I think we're on the path to seeing things like Stormlight wiring, etc to make all these fabrials in Urithiru work.  

8 minutes ago, Kittalia said:

I thought I read somewhere that the prereleases were supposed to end with the end of part 1, and I'd be surprised if they just skipped over the interludes if it wasn't. I was reading this as Kaladin's last chapter/moment of decision before jumping into a new arc, although the time gap is interesting. 

Ok, I missed that I guess; it was as you said, too, the strange time gap at the beginning which made me think "new book" automatically :-)

Kaladin’s mother leaned in to inspect the green vein. “Iron,” she said. “Makes the ston turn that shade.”

Typo. 

I think Lirin's attitude towards Kaladin's departure from the army is a bit insensitive. He just lost everything, and all you can think of is how you were right all along? Honestly, Lirin, I love you, but you have a son with depression and severe self-doubt. Be a bit more aware of the moment. Don't say, "You're finally going to be the person we want you to be and stop doing things that don't matter!" 

5 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

And the Dustbringers seem to be... questionable at the moment, judging by Malata and Spark.

Yup Jasnah already stated she doesn't fully trust them yet. It means they only have one big order really suited for combat 

Alliance situation is not as fine as the Alethkar incursion made me think when I saw so many Windrunners and Edgdancers fighting 

None of those Radiants progressed over the third ideal either except Jasnah ? I actually think 90% of them are stuck in the second ideal, unable to conjuring shardblades and so 

Edited by IcaroRibeiro

Navani’s lectures are fascinating as always. The pressure differential is fascinating. As for the metal in the spears, I’d say it is chromium. Nicrosil and aluminum would be probably recognizable by Navani. As for Kaladin, I don’t think he will be a surgeon for the rest of the book- he just needs to get back on his feet. 

15 minutes ago, Valigus said:

Kaladin seems to be relegated to the B plot rn, I imagine we will won’t see a lot of kaladin until the end of the book from here, but when the enemy attacks urithiru I bet they take over the tower mostly and kaladin has to drive them back maybe leshwi helps him by stabbing ing raboniel in the back and then the sibling wakes back up maybe navani bonds it while trapped in the core during the whole ordeal

I disagree, Kaladin's pretty clearly part of the A plot involving Urithiru. Shallan and Adolin in Shadesmar are the B plot, and Dalinar and Jasnah in Emul will probably be the C plot. After the last chapter I think Kaladin/Navani/Venli/Renarin/(Rlain or Moash) is a pretty solid prediction for the major A plot POVs.

1 minute ago, Raphaborn said:

Chromium is reverse aluminum in MB, why is everyone so sure that the new metal is Chromium? What would make the most sense would be Duralumin or Nicrosil.

Navani could probably recognize nicrosil. As for duralumin, that just doesn’t seem to fit with Investiture draining. 

I love love love the parallelism here between Kal and his dad. I've been saying how similar they are--and here we see just how alike they both are. Feeling needed and useful is the drug for both of them. Did you see how Lirin perked up when he realized he still had a purpose?? It's like Kal looking in a mirror, yet neither of them can see themselves in the other. Though Kal almost did. And that's a point of growth.

I think this will be such an important journey for both of them, and in a way, it mirrors Adolin and Dalinar--who are you beyond being your father's son? What do you want? How can you acknowledge your parent's influence while not letting them forge your own path. So exciting to see. 

Overall, though, poor Hesina--so many brooding men in her life. She needs Syl more than anyone! :-)

2 minutes ago, Inky said:

I disagree, Kaladin's pretty clearly part of the A plot involving Urithiru. Shallan and Adolin in Shadesmar are the B plot, and Dalinar and Jasnah in Emul will probably be the C plot. After the last chapter I think Kaladin/Navani/Venli/Renarin/(Rlain or Moash) is a pretty solid prediction for the major A plot POVs.

That makes sense but they did say taht of the a plot some people will have less chapters I believe it was two people and I think it may be kaladin and the 5th character

i just want a leshwi chapter I want to know whats going on inside her head

3 minutes ago, Inky said:

Agreed with this one

Although I can't see Renarin as a POV character yet, maybe a minor POV

Weve seen before that Syl has transformed to look like someone Kaladin had a Connection to(Shallan in WoR After washing ashore)

then she just did this one

Spoiler

Syl landed on his shoulder and took the form of a young woman in a full havah, with her hair pinned up in the Alethi fashion

I wonder if she’ll be relevant later on?

Edited by Eternal Khol

7 minutes ago, Raphaborn said:

Chromium is reverse aluminum in MB, why is everyone so sure that the new metal is Chromium? What would make the most sense would be Duralumin or Nicrosil.

Navani should be able to ID Duralumin and Nicrosil.