Interactive Map and Timeline of Roshar - Feedback

Paleo

Thanks for the positive feedback, everybody!

@GreyHive, the project is open source on GitHub. I worked on all the programming stuff, while @Jofwu populated the timeline, wrote the entries, contacted artists, and coordinated the project in general. We've had lots of feedback from other staff and you can find a full list of other involved people in the README of the repo or the "Credits" section of the site!

• 2 weeks later...

Could you make links to the pages on 

Ashir and Geranid 

on the coppermind.

Its from 

Reshi Sea

The Reshi Sea is a body of water in northern Roshar. It contains the Reshi Isles and is separated from the Purelake by Marabethia. It borders Iri, Rira, Babatharnam, Tu Bayla, Jah Keved, and Herdaz.

The Reshi Sea is deeper than the purelake, but is shallow enough that Tai-na legs are able to reach the bottom of making it shallow enough to be warm nearly all the time.

Ashir and Geranid live on a small island in the Reshi Sea.

No links form Ashir and Geranid. Both of whom have pages on the coppermind. 

Other than that, everything is fantastic! Tanks for all your work!

:D

Hey just wanna provide some quick input!

First of all, it seems like everything’s been streamlined since I last saw the map. I especially like the option to skip just to the next event in the timeline, and the explanation of the  Rosharan calendar (these are new, right? It’s possible I just hadn’t noticed them before :P), and everything looks like it’s running quicker. Thanks so much all of you behind it!

One concern though, at the moment the website keeps crashing when I do all sorts of things. I can refresh the page and see the map again, but eventually it just crashes again. It happens most often when the page reloads, which also happens frequently, but not all the time, for things like opening settings, opening the button beside it, and moving to and from a description of something. I’m currently using safari on an Apple IPhone XR, and I’m connected to wifi. I’m really not sure what’s going on, but I hope that my explanation helps. 

9 hours ago, Ookla the Groovy said:

the explanation of the  Rosharan calendar (these are new, right? It’s possible I just hadn’t noticed them before :P)

This one isn't new, but the other is. :)

Safari is the devil.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

*ahem*

I FOUND TYPOS.

The Last Desolation:

The cycle of Desolations seems to end and the Era of Solitude began.

The tense changes mid-sentence here. It goes form present tense ("seems") to past-tense ("began").

The False Desolation:

At it's conclusion the singers become parshmen.

This should be "its," not "it's."

The Founding of the Knights Radiant:

Urithiru is constructed and the Knights Radiant were established.

Again, the tense here changes from present to past mid-sentence.

I'll update this post if I find more :)

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2021 at 9:46 AM, Szeth_Pancakes said:

*ahem*

I FOUND TYPOS.

The Last Desolation:

The tense changes mid-sentence here. It goes form present tense ("seems") to past-tense ("began").

The False Desolation:

This should be "its," not "it's."

The Founding of the Knights Radiant:

Again, the tense here changes from present to past mid-sentence.

I'll update this post if I find more :)

The tense change doesn't have to be incorrect (especially in the latter case).

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/10/2022 at 7:23 AM, AFdooda said:

I'm now imagining maps for other cosmere worlds!

Maybe one day?

:) 

Most of them aren't very conducive to this sort of thing unfortunately. Other than the Mistborn series, most books take place predominantly within a single city. (and of those the only one with a halfway useable map would be Elantris)

I would like to do something with Mistborn eventually, but there's a few challenges... First is that we don't have a timeline of the series put together. I started work on collecting references, but that's going to be a lot of work. And from there we'll need to figure out how to handle multiple series... Do we make separate apps for each Era? Do we see if Paleo can figure some way to transition between maps from one era to the next? I think we can make something work, but it's hard to say at this point. (and it will take work :))

14 hours ago, Jofwu said:

Most of them aren't very conducive to this sort of thing unfortunately. Other than the Mistborn series, most books take place predominantly within a single city. (and of those the only one with a halfway useable map would be Elantris)

I would like to do something with Mistborn eventually, but there's a few challenges... First is that we don't have a timeline of the series put together. I started work on collecting references, but that's going to be a lot of work. And from there we'll need to figure out how to handle multiple series... Do we make separate apps for each Era? Do we see if Paleo can figure some way to transition between maps from one era to the next? I think we can make something work, but it's hard to say at this point. (and it will take work :))

I see what you mean. Maybe when the rumoured new books for Elantris come out then we can get a bit more map development there.

Something too look forward to then!

@Paleo I've got an author who's interested in hiring you to make a map for his book along the lines of what you've done with the interactive Roshar map (starting out much simpler, tho). 
I hope it's ok that I'm posting this in here, I just wasn't sure how else to reach you! 
Do you have a place where I could DM you for details?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I believe there is a mistake in the section that talks about Shallan killing her mother. I'm going to put it in a spoiler just in case as it details events revealed in RoW.

Spoiler

It states that she summoned Pattern as a Shardblade when she killed her mother, but I believe it was actually Testament she summoned because it was this event that caused her to break her Oath.

On 2/24/2023 at 9:37 PM, Lost said:

I believe there is a mistake in the section that talks about Shallan killing her mother. I'm going to put it in a spoiler just in case as it details events revealed in RoW.

Hide contents

It states that she summoned Pattern as a Shardblade when she killed her mother, but I believe it was actually Testament she summoned because it was this event that caused her to break her Oath.

Ah, thanks for the catch. That would have been written prior to RoW, and we didn't go back and scrutinize every event detail in the RoW update.

I'll make a note to get it updated. (probabyl into something more ambiguous so that it isn't spoilery)