NaNoWriMo

Mage

So, this year I signed up for NaNoWriMo. I've been writing fiction for a while, but it has never been the main thing in my life, just a fun hobby. I planned out a novel series, and started writing the first book. Then I heard about national novel writing month, and decided to sign up. 50,000 words over 30 days comes out to 1667 words a day, and I did that today, but today is also a Sunday (an extra long Sunday for those in areas that do daylight savings). So, does anyone have any advice about doing this, or just writing in general? Also, does anyone want to be NaNoWriMo buddies, to help motivate each other?

Just keep blundering through!  But more specifically, find time during your day, and use it only for writing.  Last year, I had between about 8:30-9:30 a.m. and 7:00-9:00 p.m. as my writing times, though I did tend to go above 1700 words to give myself buffer room in case I couldn't write on a day for whatever reason.  This year, because of schedule and location changes, I actually have more time, mostly thirty to an hour stretches throughout the day.  I've found that the hardest part is getting started.

Another important thing I learnt last year:  If you get to the end of whatever you're writing and and you don't hit 50,000 words, that's okay.  It means you know where your story needs to end and you aren't dragging it out unnecessarily.  On a similar note, if you need to walk away because it's not clicking, that's fine.  Last year, I must have done that a dozen times, and I simply made it up the next day.

And finally, spend time on fun things too!  I managed to hit my 1700 words, read, go to church, and I still have time to finally finish My Hero Academia season three.  That's really important, because it relaxes me to do those other things.

6 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

So, I decided to try out NanoWrimo just now, and I can't figure out how to actually do the writing part. any help?

Start with a monologue is one bit of advice I heard.  Or if there's an interesting scene that's been floating in your head, start writing it.  Even if it's in the middle of the story.  You can go back and fill in why the scene is happening later.  

6 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Start with a monologue is one bit of advice I heard.  Or if there's an interesting scene that's been floating in your head, start writing it.  Even if it's in the middle of the story.  You can go back and fill in why the scene is happening later.  

I think you misunderstood. I meant how do I get to be able to type out the words. I can't figure out how to start typing.

3 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

I think you misunderstood. I meant how do I get to be able to type out the words. I can't figure out how to start typing.

Well, do you have a keyboard?  And fingers?  That'll probably help.  There's also voice-to-text, which I have heard helps some people get the words flowing.

2 minutes ago, Condensation said:

I might do this, I guess. Is it fun?

I think it is.

I mean I'm probably not the best person for advice because I've only been doing this for *checks watch* 21 hours now, but if you like writing and are willing to make the time commitment it is a good way to get motivated, and crank out a big chunk of novel. I've also heard that it builds good habits, so that you continue writing even after the month is over. I say go for it. Writing novels is only second in fun to reading novels by a certain author that we all know and love.

Just now, Spren of Kindness said:
5 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

Well, do you have a keyboard?  And fingers?  That'll probably help.  There's also voice-to-text, which I have heard helps some people get the words flowing.

ok... I will rephrase it yet again... I can not get to the point where I am able to type. I am on the site and am unable to start the story because there is nowhere to type.

Just now, Chasmgoat said:

ok... I will rephrase it yet again... I can not get to the point where I am able to type. I am on the site and am unable to start the story because there is nowhere to type.

Oh.  Um.... I use Microsoft Word or Google Docs.  I wasn't aware that you could use the NaNoWriMo site to actually type - I think you can just update word count and things like that.

Just now, Spren of Kindness said:

Oh.  Um.... I use Microsoft Word or Google Docs.  I wasn't aware that you could use the NaNoWriMo site to actually type - I think you can just update word count and things like that.

oh. I thought you could write on it and it would automatically update. my bad.

I thought of trying without registering to the site, but on an afterthought I realised I don't have enough time in my day to write 1.7k words, besides the fact I'm not sure I could get a good idea for a story. I think I'll just start writing and see where it gets.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright. 10 days in, and I am mentally exhausted. This is so hard to write this much every day. However though, it is crazy how much I have written and I can see my writing improving. This is a mental workout if I had ever had one. It feels the same mentally as running a cross country race. I want to quit, but I know that I can't.

I am here now...

Took me long enough to find this.

This is my second year of NaNo, and I'm going for 40,000 words this year instead of the 50,000 I did last year, due to RoW.

KEEP ON PUSHING THROUGH IT IS SO STORMING WORTH IT.

And that has been my motivational speech.

• 11 months later...

By those words, you shall be revived!

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I thought that at the turn of the year it became relevant again. Perhaps there's already another NaNoWriMo thread I'm not aware of, but I'm too lazy to check.

So, I signed up this year! ...Which is perfectly stupid of me, since this is the year I'm going to have the least time to write. Still, I'm going to try. Probably.

Haha. I am not signing up this year. Last year nearly killed me. Don't get me wrong, it was great for me as a writer, but between cross country, school, and work I was sacrificing needed sleep for it. I am definitely going to keep writing. I'm nearly done with college application essays, so I can focus back on something more fun. This year I will probably set a ridiculously low goal like 100 words a day in order to start forming a habit. I'll probably keep working on that story I posted a few weeks back and have The Shard keep me accountable instead of NaNoWriMo.

7 minutes ago, Mage said:

Haha. I am not signing up this year. Last year nearly killed me. Don't get me wrong, it was great for me as a writer, but between cross country, school, and work I was sacrificing needed sleep for it. I am definitely going to keep writing. I'm nearly done with college application essays, so I can focus back on something more fun. This year I will probably set a ridiculously low goal like 100 words a day in order to start forming a habit. I'll probably keep working on that story I posted a few weeks back and have The Shard keep me accountable instead of NaNoWriMo.

he, feel you man, doing mostly the same.

If you want I have found a way to get Google Sheets to auto generate new word goals for you.

Edited by Frustration