Finally stopped lurking!

Destrus

Hello 17th Shard!  

I've been lurking here, and on Coppermind for a while trying to put as many of the pieces together as I can.  I've been reading Brandon since around the time he wrapped up WoT.  I think the first "new" Brandon novel I bought was Allow Of Law.   I've read 90-ish percent of Brandon's stuff.  I think the only works I haven't read are the Alcatraz books, The Rithmatist, and the last two volumes of White Sand (just ordered those actually).  

I just finished up a re-read of Stormlight prior to the release of RoW, and felt like a lot of to Cosmere stuff didn't start truly clicking until that second read through.  I saw 'some' of the connections before.  I see many more of them now...and I'm sure there's still a ton that I'm missing.  I have finished all the preview chapters for RoW that have been released and figured I finally needed to sign up so I could post, share, and converse with the rest of you all out there. 

Looking forward to the journey, before the destination!

Initially, the Hoid/Wit stuff.  Like the connections to the other Vessels, the letter from Harmony/Sazed.  There were those cool little connections bewteen the stories that I saw the first time. Also, simply the fact that Hoid would show up in various books was always a 'sit up and cheer' kind of moment.  

I didn't read Warbreaker prior to Stormlight Archive, so when I read WB I obviously recognized that Nightblood was the sword that Szeth had been carrying around.  I didn't really recognize Vasher and Vivenna as being on Roshar until the second read through.  Same thing with the three travellers at the Purelake.  Didn't pick up on the fact that it was Galladon, Demoux, and Baon the first time through.  But also now, having read through more than once, I know more about the Shards and Adonalsium, so I'm looking closer at clues and characters when I re-read sections again. 

13 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Welcome to the Shard!  I highly recommend the Alcatraz books, they're a lot of fun!

Thank you.  I plan to. Just haven’t gotten to them yet.  Haven’t read a bad Sanderson book yet so I’m sure they’re good. 

1 hour ago, Destrus said:

Hello 17th Shard!  

I've been lurking here, and on Coppermind for a while trying to put as many of the pieces together as I can.  I've been reading Brandon since around the time he wrapped up WoT.  I think the first "new" Brandon novel I bought was Allow Of Law.   I've read 90-ish percent of Brandon's stuff.  I think the only works I haven't read are the Alcatraz books, The Rithmatist, and the last two volumes of White Sand (just ordered those actually).  

I just finished up a re-read of Stormlight prior to the release of RoW, and felt like a lot of to Cosmere stuff didn't start truly clicking until that second read through.  I saw 'some' of the connections before.  I see many more of them now...and I'm sure there's still a ton that I'm missing.  I have finished all the preview chapters for RoW that have been released and figured I finally needed to sign up so I could post, share, and converse with the rest of you all out there. 

Looking forward to the journey, before the destination!

Hello, friend, welcome to the shard! What's your favorite non-sanderson book?

21 minutes ago, Scarletfox said:

Hello, friend, welcome to the shard! What's your favorite non-sanderson book?

Huge WoT fan.  Favorite Overall book in WoT was Lord Of Chaos and followed closely by The Shadow Rising.  Love The Dresden Files. Grew up reading Stephen King. Fave from SK is The Stand.  Also really adore the Piers Anthony Incarnations Of Immortality Series.  

Welcome to the Shard Destrus! Delighted to have you come join us! Thou shalst lurk no longer!! :D

You've been doing your research if you've been here and on Coppermind for a while! And 90% of his work is pretty dang good!. I would definitely have to agree with @Spren of Kindness here I always highly, highly recommend Alcatraz they are actually hilarious! They are so different in tone from most of his books it's amazing. 

Totally I understand you here! You really don't see a lot of things until the second time, like the first you are focused on plot and the second you get to "look around" more in the story lol. It's the same with movies like you noticed all the things in the background the second time because you aren't worried about the story anymore.

Which character would you most desire to choose for a friend out of any of Brandon's books? Look forward to conversing with you as well!

On 11/2/2020 at 3:33 AM, Scout_Fox said:

Welcome to the Shard Destrus! Delighted to have you come join us! Thou shalst lurk no longer!! :D

You've been doing your research if you've been here and on Coppermind for a while! And 90% of his work is pretty dang good!. I would definitely have to agree with @Spren of Kindness here I always highly, highly recommend Alcatraz they are actually hilarious! They are so different in tone from most of his books it's amazing. 

Totally I understand you here! You really don't see a lot of things until the second time, like the first you are focused on plot and the second you get to "look around" more in the story lol. It's the same with movies like you noticed all the things in the background the second time because you aren't worried about the story anymore.

Which character would you most desire to choose for a friend out of any of Brandon's books? Look forward to conversing with you as well!

Oooooooooh, that's a tough question in terms of who I would be friends with.  

Legitimately, would probably be Sazed , Vasher, or Wayne.   

Sazed appeals to the philosophic and research based sides of me.  Sazed is the kind of guy you would go digging through the sacred texts looking for clues about Shards and Ascension and Adonalsium.  I would think that many of us here are like Sazed in our search for the 'story behind the story'. 

Vasher is the character that I think most fits how I would deal with the circumstances that were thrust upon him.  If I had been through the things Vasher had been through, I could see myself on a virtually identical trajectory (even into his departure from Nalthis).

And Wayne, who doesn't want to be friends with Wayne?  You need a friend who is loyal and dedicated and keeps it light when there needs to be a tension breaker. 

5 hours ago, Destrus said:

Oooooooooh, that's a tough question in terms of who I would be friends with.  

:lol: I love this question lol it's so cool to see what people like about characters. I love these answers too!

Omg so agree Sazed and theory crafting, perfecto man idek what else to say, yes so perfect :D

Oooh ye ok Vasher as well nice, nice. Good selection, I like how you chose different people for each aspect of you!

Yuuup totally Wayne would be there for you always, would definitely be a really good person to be friends with

Nice choices and look forward to seeing you around!

Edited by Scout_Fox

@Destrus glad you finally stopped lurking and decided to join us in the land of the living!

What is your favorite magic system in the Cosmere?

What is your favorite book in the Cosmere?

What order of the Knight's Radiant are you in?

Sorry about the excessive questioning. It's something that we as a Shard seem to like a lot. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Happy to have you here!

On 11/4/2020 at 6:19 PM, Voidspawn said:

@Destrus glad you finally stopped lurking and decided to join us in the land of the living!

What is your favorite magic system in the Cosmere?

What is your favorite book in the Cosmere?

What order of the Knight's Radiant are you in?

Sorry about the excessive questioning. It's something that we as a Shard seem to like a lot. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Happy to have you here!

Solid questions.  

I really dig the era 2 Mistborn Magics when they add the Allomancy and Ferumancy together.  That’s probably my favorite magic system to see the hybrid Magics. 

Favorite Cosmere novel is either The Hero Of Ages or Words Of Radiance....though the first part of Rhythm Of War is a banger.  

I would love to say I am a Windrunner....but I feel I am probably a Bondsmith.  I love Kaladin, but feel more connected ultimately to Dalinar.  

2 hours ago, Destrus said:

I would love to say I am a Windrunner....but I feel I am probably a Bondsmith.  I love Kaladin, but feel more connected ultimately to Dalinar.  

There's an official test at https://www.brandonsanderson.com/official-knights-radiant-order-quiz/

P.S. The test says I'm technically an Elsecaller, but I think of myself as a Dustbringer (It was a close second on the quiz). So your order is really up to you, but there is a quiz there if you want.

17 hours ago, Voidspawn said:

There's an official test at https://www.brandonsanderson.com/official-knights-radiant-order-quiz/

P.S. The test says I'm technically an Elsecaller, but I think of myself as a Dustbringer (It was a close second on the quiz). So your order is really up to you, but there is a quiz there if you want.

There apparently is an error with that page :( I keep getting a WP-Coder id="1" error

Now I'll never know which order I truly belong in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Destrus said:

There apparently is an error with that page :( I keep getting a WP-Coder id="1" error

Now I'll never know which order I truly belong in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup got the same thing it may be down for now (or ever :() but will probably go back up at some point.

Ooh and last, last check in your official welcoming list is a reminder that the mods prefer if you don't double post :D You can tap the plus icon next to Quote on multiple peoples posts to quote them all at once in one giant post! Welcome again!