The Remaining Unnamed Shards

Destrus

Please feel free to move or link this if it has already been addressed elsewhere. 

To the best of our knowledge, does Brandon intend to do different series for the remaining 6 unnamed Shards individually or are there WOB that indicate that he will be introducing them during “crossover novels”?

Do You really think that Brandon is gonna reveal 6 Shards throughout the course of this 1 Novel. When there is still like 20 more Cosmere books left? And quite a few world we havent seen XD

He only meant that by the time RoW is out. All 6 Intents/Shards will be Canonized in his head/Notes. Were not gonna get to actually learn of the remaining 6 for quite some time.

Edited by Eternal Khol

We know what Brandon's plans for the broader Cosmere are - https://www.brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2019/#Cosmere . There's going to be several Elantris books, more Mistborn and Stormlight eras, a novel on Threnody and a trilogy on the Aether planet, as well as Dragonsteel as the prequel to it all. So there isn't room there for each new Shard to have a new Series.

If I had to guess, the Aether trilogy would introduce 1-2 new shards. But the other series already have Shards associated with them. They'll probably interact with new Shards, though.

I assume when "Dragonsteel" gets written we'll know the identities of all the shards, but it won't necessarily focus on each one equally.

5 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I believe he said that "by the end of RoW" all of the remaining shards' names will be canonized.

So I think one of our noteworthy worldhoppers is gonna show up and name-drop them (probably Hoid if he's around for it, maybe Khriss if she shows up)

He said he hopes to have them all canonized by then, and said it after the final version was already done. So I think it's more that he wants to set them in stone internally, rather than he plans to reveal them to us in RoW. 

@Destrus This is somewhat tangential, but in case you didn’t know, we have strong suspicions for 2 of the remaining 6 unnamed shards. We have the following WoBs, which don’t confirm anything 100%, but I’d place money that at the very least, there are shards with synonyms for Ingenuity and Wisdom.

Questioner

If you were entrusted with a Shard of Adonalsium, which Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Ummm... Heh heh heh... maybe Ingenuity. 

Sofia signing (March 28, 2017)

Chaos

Is Ingenuity a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Umm... *long pause* Maybe. *smiles slyly*

MisCon 2018 (May 26, 2018)

David J. Foster

It sounds like [Brandon] identified a new shard, Ingenuity, in an interview in Bulgaria. Can you verify this?

Peter Ahlstrom

That is news to me! Maybe [Isaac] can ask him.

Isaac Stewart

I asked [Brandon]. He said readers can interpret his words how they want.

Footnote: The question is referring to this exchange.
General Twitter 2017 (April 20, 2017)

Paleo (paraphrased)

Is Wisdom a Shard? If so, how bad does it want to survive?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There is a Shard with a similar intent. The Shard has realized that survival might not be the most desirable/important.

Footnote: Paleo later asked Brandon for clarification on this one because he couldn't quite remember the survival part when he wrote it down. Brandon stressed again what the Shard has realized.
Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

Paleo

In May, in Germany, you told me that... or I asked whether Wisdom was a Shard, and you said it was or something like it, and that wisdom was close to an intent of a Shard, and you also told me that it has realized that survival isn't necessarily the most important thing for it. I wanted to ask whether it has realized that over time or was it from the get go?

Brandon Sanderson

Over time.

Paleo

Okay, so then naturally, my next question: Is it the survival Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

Paleo

And then somebody actually came up with another good probable name. Is Prudence close?

Brandon Sanderson

Prudence sounds an awful lot like a Shard name. That's some excellent theorizing there.

Prague Signing (Oct. 26, 2019)

On 11/1/2020 at 7:47 PM, ILuvHats said:

@Destrus This is somewhat tangential, but in case you didn’t know, we have strong suspicions for 2 of the remaining 6 unnamed shards. We have the following WoBs, which don’t confirm anything 100%, but I’d place money that at the very least, there are shards with synonyms for Ingenuity and Wisdom.

I had read these, regarding Ingenuity and Prudence. I was more wondering if he was planning to make series around groupings of the remaining Shards or if he’s working them in as crossover novels.  

On 11/1/2020 at 6:15 PM, ftl said:

We know what Brandon's plans for the broader Cosmere are - https://www.brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2019/#Cosmere . There's going to be several Elantris books, more Mistborn and Stormlight eras, a novel on Threnody and a trilogy on the Aether planet, as well as Dragonsteel as the prequel to it all. So there isn't room there for each new Shard to have a new Series.

If I had to guess, the Aether trilogy would introduce 1-2 new shards. But the other series already have Shards associated with them. They'll probably interact with new Shards, though.

I assume when "Dragonsteel" gets written we'll know the identities of all the shards, but it won't necessarily focus on each one equally.

I would figure that Dragonsteel would features all the shards at the end as well as the Vessels ascending... since my understanding is that it will be the book where they kill Adonalsium. 

@Eternal Khol

i tend to agree with you. I don’t think we will have 9 Shards all appearing in RoW.  

• 4 weeks later...