Metalmind Businesses

Aspiring Writer

What? You thought I was done posting on here? Not in a million years! So, topic of the week! (It's been a week since my last Cosmere thread, right? I normally post a lot of these.)

Nicrosal metalminds have created possibilities for businesses of all sorts and this thread is to suggest as many as possible. There are three types of suggestions to make here; one is unique metal mind businesses that don't exist in our world, second is metalmind business that help other businesses, and third are metalmind businesses that leave other businesses obsolete or redundant, or are the very least they are both similar.

Example for 1 is Memory Removal, where you can pay a person to give you a coppermind to store an unpleasant memory and then get rid of it.

Example for 2 is Pewtermind businesses that can help construction workers lift heavy things, or rescue workers during crisis and disasters.

Example for 3 is Cadiumminds for divers, letting them carry less metal while carrying the same or more amount of breath, or Bronzeminds may replace coffee, making people more awake in the morning.

if you have a name for the business you are creating, please underline it, and let the thinking begin!

Edit: My stupid brain thought of this but didn't put it down, But no Allomancy metalminds, as it does not appear that the Southern Scadrials know how to make them.

Another thing to think about is whether or not hemalurgy might become prominent, as being able to create a compounder for the sole sake of making more trait would be very appealing to many people.

Edited by Aspiring Writer

Medallion charging system: a net of nicrosil (maybe all 16 metals? Not sure) lines all around the basin, with up to 32 (maybe even more) separate nicrosil threads in every line. At the center of the net, metalborn invest it so that anyone could connect his medallion and recharge it, without needing to store themselves.

I think it could be a business, right? 

Oh my, the idea of Unsealed Metalminds businesses never even occurred to me, with all the discussions on the mechanics and Invested Arts crossovers!

Copperminds (not the wiki) might be used for legal purposes perhaps? Bronzemind (wakefulness) would probably be a booming business as Scadrial gets more and more modern. There would be a (and no "probably" about it) morally dubious Goldmind business too. Pewterminds (strength) might also have a similar market as gold. Electrum-minds (determination) for the depressed could also be a thing. Iron and steelminds have so many uses, in so many fields that any Ferring with those powers could probably get very rich and live a very comfortable life off of their power. Brassminds (heat) might be an important export from Northern Scadrial to Southern Scadrial.

Edited by Honorless

Assuming that Medallions can also temporarily grant Allomancy as well as Feruchemy (basically just Unsealed Nicrosil with an allomantic power inside), then there could be pretty much any Twinborn combination on-demand, to an extent.

Duralumin mistings would be in high-demand, as their power could finally be used in tandem with other allomantic abilities again. Aluminum mistings... not so much. Still pretty useless, except for the relatively niche use of "burn away all your leftover metals at the end of the day without having their effects take place".

Anybody could become a Compounder, which would make both Gold powers EXCESSIVELY valuable. Pewter compounding might be as well, due to the sheer amount of physical work you could get done. People with more cognitive-work based jobs would probably take either Zinc or Bronze compounding. maybe Bendalloy (speed bubble AND a massive reserve of food and water).

Chromium compounding... If I'm right about how that'd work (increasing your Fortune to the point where you pull an Elend and see the future in great detail) then that could be in high demand for all sorts of people, which... would probably wreck it's usefulness. All the conflicting future sight would work like 2 allomancers burning Atium, and destructively interfere. So it would have to be kept as secret as possible to be usable.

Hm... That's all I got for now.

1 hour ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Assuming that Medallions can also temporarily grant Allomancy as well as Feruchemy (basically just Unsealed Nicrosil with an allomantic power inside), then there could be pretty much any Twinborn combination on-demand, to an extent.

Duralumin mistings would be in high-demand, as their power could finally be used in tandem with other allomantic abilities again. Aluminum mistings... not so much. Still pretty useless, except for the relatively niche use of "burn away all your leftover metals at the end of the day without having their effects take place".

Anybody could become a Compounder, which would make both Gold powers EXCESSIVELY valuable. Pewter compounding might be as well, due to the sheer amount of physical work you could get done. People with more cognitive-work based jobs would probably take either Zinc or Bronze compounding. maybe Bendalloy (speed bubble AND a massive reserve of food and water).

Chromium compounding... If I'm right about how that'd work (increasing your Fortune to the point where you pull an Elend and see the future in great detail) then that could be in high demand for all sorts of people, which... would probably wreck it's usefulness. All the conflicting future sight would work like 2 allomancers burning Atium, and destructively interfere. So it would have to be kept as secret as possible to be usable.

Hm... That's all I got for now.

Sorry, I forgot to put this, but no Allomancy metalminds. the only ones we've seen is the Bands of Mourning, which is basically a god weapon, so only feruchemy.

2 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Sorry, I forgot to put this, but no Allomancy metalminds. the only ones we've seen is the Bands of Mourning, which is basically a god weapon, so only feruchemy.

I see no reason they couldn't be created. The Southerners just have few metalborn compared to Elendel and the like, so once the manufacturing process spreads, Unsealed allomantic medallions could become more widespread.

Secondly I'm fairly sure the Bands are just an F-Nicrosil medallion with loads of Unkeyed Nicrosilminds and other Metalminds, one Nicrosilmind for each of the 32 powers, and 1 metalmind for each feruchemical power, since we've never seen a Medallion with more than 2 (or 3?) "unsealed" powers. I could be wrong though.

12 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I see no reason they couldn't be created. The Southerners just have few metalborn compared to Elendel and the like, so once the manufacturing process spreads, Unsealed allomantic medallions could become more widespread.

Secondly I'm fairly sure the Bands are just an F-Nicrosil medallion with loads of Unkeyed Nicrosilminds and other Metalminds, one Nicrosilmind for each of the 32 powers, and 1 metalmind for each feruchemical power, since we've never seen a Medallion with more than 2 (or 3?) "unsealed" powers. I could be wrong though.

For this post, let's assume no and focus on feruchemy. We can do another thread for how a mix of the two will affect the things we suggest here.

11 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

Medallion charging system: a net of nicrosil (maybe all 16 metals? Not sure) lines all around the basin, with up to 32 (maybe even more) separate nicrosil threads in every line. At the center of the net, metalborn invest it so that anyone could connect his medallion and recharge it, without needing to store themselves.

I think it could be a business, right? 

This is confusing, please elaborate

10 hours ago, Honorless said:

Oh my, the idea of Unsealed Metalminds businesses never even occurred to me, with all the discussions on the mechanics and Invested Arts crossovers!

Copperminds (not the wiki) might be used for legal purposes perhaps? Bronzemind (wakefulness) would probably be a booming business as Scadrial gets more and more modern. There would be a (and no "probably" about it) morally dubious Goldmind business too. Pewterminds (strength) might also have a similar market as gold. Electrum-minds (determination) for the depressed could also be a thing. Iron and steelminds have so many uses, in so many fields that any Ferring with those powers could probably get very rich and live a very comfortable life off of their power. Brassminds (heat) might be an important export from Northern Scadrial to Southern Scadrial.

Coppermind for legal purposes is a good idea. I did suggest that possibility for bronze (Oh my god, that means there will be people being paid to sleep! WE HAVE JUST CREATED A JOB WHERE YOU GET PAID TO SLEEP! XD)

What part of the goldminds is dubious? Is it the fact we have to pay people to be sick to get the health, the fact that the goldminds will be expensive and hard to come by for the average person? There a lot of ways this can be considered dubious. 

I suggested the pewter thing as well, using a metalmind to try and cure depression... that can spark some interesting discussions. Might have to make a thread for that. Mind listing possibilities for iron and steel, you have me quite curious. And yeah, the heat one will be a pretty nice export. Wonder how they'll collect it? Will they just make a bunch of people do labor in the roughs with the metalmind and sell them once full?

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
5 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

For this post, let's assume no and focus on feruchemy. We can do another thread for how a mix of the two will affect the things we suggest here.

Coppermind for legal purposes is a good idea. I did suggest that possibility for bronze (Oh my god, that means there will be people being paid to sleep! WE HAVE JUST CREATED A JOB WHERE YOU GET PAID TO SLEEP! XD)

What part of the goldminds is dubious? Is it the fact we have to pay people to be sick to get the health, the fact that the goldminds will be expensive and hard to come by for the average person? There a lot of ways this can be considered dubious. 

I suggested the pewter thing as well, using a metalmind to try and cure depression... that can spark some interesting discussions. Might have to make a thread for that. Mind listing possibilities for iron and steel, you have me quite curious. And yeah, the heat one will be a pretty nice export. Wonder how they'll collect it? Will they just make a bunch of people do labor in the roughs with the metalmind and sell them once full?

Trains would be a steel things stick someone in a harness at the back of a train and PUSH. Iron elevators would be cool. A steel and iron combo could make a escalator or a conveyor belt. So many possibilities, there's also the pushing in and removal of nails and such to thing about special screw would be made that could be screwed in or out via push or pull

Edited by Somebody from Sel

2 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

Trains would be a steel things stick someone in a harness at the back of a train and PUSH. Iron elevators would be cool. A steel and iron combo could make a escalator or a conveyor belt so many possibilities

One, please use commas, I have to reread your post several times to understand. Second, I think a train might be more efficient than someone pushing, so that would not take off. iron elevators, though, would increase how many people you can fit on an elevator. 

8 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I can try, I guess. I think the real problem I have is that I'm not a native English speaker, and so I didn't know how to express it. And I was too lazy to use google translate.

Anyway, the idea might not be possible, but here it is:

I thought that maybe you could pass investiture around like you do with electricity. Yes, I am aware to the fact those aren't very much alike each other. Yet I thought that maybe you could make a metalminds net that will enable people to charge medallions at home by plugging them.

It's an idea I had for a long time, and so I wished to post it. A little before I did, however, I realised that this is about business, and so I wasn't sure if it was right to post it. though, it's the most basic thing - charging your medallion without you having to do it yourself, and the idea of making it by metal lines and letting you charge at home instead of going to a charging station - which could also e an option - sounds appealing, at least to me. Again, it might not work.

I hope I was clearer this time. it's based on the assumption that medallions would be common, which, as it seems, most people don't believe will happen. Maybe it could be for things like tin, maybe pewter and steel, I think brass medallions should be common, but I'm not sure about zinc. bronze charging would go cheaply, though, since even though it may be in high demand, all you need to do to store it is sleeping. copper is a weird case, and the higher metals are too valuable to be common.

I hope I was clearer this time.

alright... forgot almost all of it but here goes. in the band of mourning, theres a metal mind which takes wax to a memory in the south. (pretty sure its a coppermind) This would make a great business, sorta like movies but where you actually get to experience it a bit more. (VR in Scadrial sorta thing)

33 minutes ago, bloodlust said:

alright... forgot almost all of it but here goes. in the band of mourning, theres a metal mind which takes wax to a memory in the south. (pretty sure its a coppermind) This would make a great business, sorta like movies but where you actually get to experience it a bit more. (VR in Scadrial sorta thing)

Yes, that was one of the first things I thought of with metalminds businesses, where people can have someone at for example at a concert and rather than watching the recording, you can experience the concert. It would be VR on steroids. You can use it to help patients deal with pain, maybe make a person in pain take a memory so everyone can experience what pain feels like without actually hurting yourself, go to exotic lands without actually torturing yourself with all... stuff. Only thing I'm not sure about is whether or not people would easily give up their memories so they can be put on the market.

8 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Yes, that was one of the first things I thought of with metalminds businesses, where people can have someone at for example at a concert and rather than watching the recording, you can experience the concert. It would be VR on steroids. You can use it to help patients deal with pain, maybe make a person in pain take a memory so everyone can experience what pain feels like without actually hurting yourself, go to exotic lands without actually torturing yourself with all... stuff. Only thing I'm not sure about is whether or not people would easily give up their memories so they can be put on the market.

Maybe it would be like actors acting out specific things, like a rogue pewter user going crazy to entertain rich scadrian horror lovers. i would definitely try this out

6 minutes ago, bloodlust said:

Maybe it would be like actors acting out specific things, like a rogue pewter user going crazy to entertain rich scadrian horror lovers. i would definitely try this out

That's the small stuff/experinces. I'm wondering about the- oh my god, copperminds can replace letters! Scadrial doesn't have computers or cameras yet, so that would be booming in the current era their in. GENIUS!

14 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Reading this reminded me of a book I read that has things like this in it. the idea was of storing your experiences mainly in alcoholic drinks, and you didn't have to forget them to do so, I think. It was a nice book, but it was written in Hebrew and AFAIK was never translated.

4 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

Reading this reminded me of a book I read that has things like this in it. the idea was of storing your experiences mainly in alcoholic drinks, and you didn't have to forget them to do so, I think. It was a nice book, but it was written in Hebrew and AFAIK was never translated.

Likes going to the bar and drinking lots of alcohol to "forget" what happened to you?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, nobody is really posting on this forum, so I'm going t try and revive this.

Another business, or well, it more a tool for businesses but have coppermind as 'free samples' so someone can taste it through the memory and then decide they liked it. Another idea is that restaurants have tin minds to increase sense and taste so food tastes better, maybe as an additional purchase or a free perk at somewhere high class.

On 11/1/2020 at 2:51 PM, Aspiring Writer said:

Not so. They must exist, because to release the "shuttlecraft" Wilg from the mother airship Brunstell, Allik required Wax to Steelpush on a square to release the craft, and then again to charge the "primer cube" as well.

It's not clear if Allik needed to capture Wax's Steelpushing in the cube specifically, or if any ol' Investiture would do, to then use the cube to power the continued flight of Wilg. It could be that it flew basically by replicating the Steelpushing effect against metals in the earth (which as a point of objection, it seems like it'd need some intelligent agent to select the right anchor points); or, whatever is powering the engines is converting Investiture to ordinary physical kinetic energy and just needed a kind of "seed energy" to start firing.

But in terms of getting Wilg to separate, there had to be a medallion for A-steel somewhere in Wilg (and a handy vial of steel) or only a Coinshot could ever use it. Maybe Captain Jordis was a Coinshot and keeping the ability hidden? But that would mean her crew avoided using the apparently requisite O Honorific One type of address for her at all times, as a subterfuge, even when talking only amongst themselves. (Not that Jordis does that with Wax, actually; but Allik also talks to Jordis directly without that language feature when giving them warmth medallions and guns.)

Edited by robardin

3 minutes ago, robardin said:

Not so. They must exist, because to release the "shuttlecraft" Wilg from the mother airship Brunstell, Allik required Wax to Steelpush on a square to release the craft, and then again to charge the "primer cube" as well.

It's not clear if Allik needed to capture Wax's Steelpushing in the cube specifically, or if any ol' Investiture would do, to then use the cube to power the continued flight of Wilg. It could be that it flew basically by replicating the Steelpushing effect against metals in the earth (which as a point of objection, it seems like it'd need some intelligent agent to select the right anchor points); or, whatever is powering the engines is converting Investiture to ordinary physical kinetic energy and just needed a kind of "seed energy" to start firing.

But in terms of getting Wilg to separate, there had to be a medallion for A-steel somewhere in Wilg (and a handy vial of steel) or only a Coinshot could ever use it. Maybe Captain Jordis was a Coinshot and keeping the ability hidden? But that would mean her crew avoided using the apparently requisite O Honorific One type of address for her at all times, as a subterfuge, even when talking only amongst themselves. (Not that Jordis does that with Wax, actually; but Allik also talks to Jordis directly without that language feature when giving them warmth medallions and guns.)

Well, seeing as nobody is posting anything, You can if you want.

59 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Well, seeing as nobody is posting anything, You can if you want.

Well, addressing your original topic first - as a standalone topic of "what unsealed Feruchemical metalminds would be valuable to have as a commodity", the obvious answer would be the unsealed goldmind in an emergency medical kit, yeah?

The only ethical question there would be how the goldminds got filled. Was it thrrough clean, harmless Compounding, or through a number of Bloodmakers being paid for their "down time" while storing Identity-free health (however the yet-to-be-shown Excisor technology for Identity removal is achieved), or through a number of unwilling or captive people somehow having their health leached from them, like caged hens in an egg factory?

And small unsealed metalminds of various types could be the Scadrial version of illegal PEDs (Performance Enhancing Drugs) in any professional sports. Especially since Seekers have not yet been seen to use their ability to detect Feruchemy. It's implied by numerous WoBs to be possible, but that is different from anybody in-world having figured out exactly how it's done yet, which surely would require extensive practice time that's hard to come by.

So imagine being a prizefighting boxer or wrestler. There would probably be Seekers on hand to try to detect an Allomancer secretly burning pewter to gain an illegal advantage, but unable to detect a quick tap of an ingestion-hidden pewtermind, steelmind, or ironmind, just a small quick burst, at one particular moment of time.

And forget Adderall abuse around exam time, you know it'd be all about the zincminds.

3 minutes ago, robardin said:

So imagine being a prizefighting boxer or wrestler. There would probably be Seekers on hand to try to detect an Allomancer secretly burning pewter to gain an illegal advantage, but unable to detect a quick tap of an ingestion-hidden pewtermind, steelmind, or ironmind, just a small quick burst, at one particular moment of time.

You forget that since ferrings are a thing, there will be also lurchers/coinshots to check if anyone has a metalmind. It's true that they'll have a hard time sensing those, but we have seen Wax sense mediocrely filled metalminds.

3 minutes ago, The Worldookler said:

You forget that since ferrings are a thing, there will be also lurchers/coinshots to check if anyone has a metalmind. It's true that they'll have a hard time sensing those, but we have seen Wax sense mediocrely filled metalminds.

That's why I said "ingestion-hidden", the old Swallow The Metalmind trick that is even mentioned in the Words of Founding (if Sazed put that scene in there, when he went to rescue Vin from Kredik Shaw before they confronted TLR). Such metalminds, especially if small (even if not filled with Investiture), would not be detectable to the ordinary strength Misting.

Edited by robardin

1 minute ago, robardin said:

That's why I said "ingestion-hidden", the old Swallow The Metalmind trick that is even mentioned in the Words of Founding (if Sazed put that scene in there, when he went to rescue Vin from Kredik Shaw before they confronted TLR). Such metalminds, especially if small, would not be detectable to the ordinary strength Misting.

Metal detectors, perhaps? We are able to see a swallowed scissors today. (Not kidding)

Just now, Aspiring Writer said:

Metal detectors, perhaps? We are able to see a swallowed scissors today. (Not kidding)

Haha, yes, I suppose X-ray technology would eventually arise on Scadrial. It would be funny if this was the impetus, rather than surgery, because it looks like they'll have access to unsealed goldminds not long after Era 2 (right around when they have developed automobiles and radios), but hey, cheating at sports is something people would think to do as soon as they could do it, as long as professional or prizewinning contests were a thing!