Non-Published Canon Magics

Just now, LewsTherinTelescope said:

I mean, what other oddities are there that would be indicators of a proper magic system?

The Sandlings first and foremost. They even produce a substance with arcane properties. Organisms as we have seen should definitely collapse under their own weight.

17 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

The Sandlings first and foremost. They even produce a substance with arcane properties. Organisms as we have seen should definitely collapse under their own weight.

That seems likely imo to mostly be weird passive Investiture stuff rather than a full magic system (and there's a whole lot other weird stuff with them iirc, like using pressurized air for blood and dying if they touch water).

I've always imagined the terken status probably comes from aluminum they run into mixed in somehow tbh.

2 hours ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

That seems likely imo to mostly be weird passive Investiture stuff rather than a full magic system (and there's a whole lot other weird stuff with them iirc, like using pressurized air for blood and dying if they touch water).

I've always imagined the terken status probably comes from aluminum they run into mixed in somehow tbh.

I hold to the theory that a sandling's shell is made out of, at least partially, the lichen from sand they ingest. I think it explains both the general investure side effect of their size and the terken's resistance to sand mastery. 

Basically, being made out of lichen, the terken disrupts sand mastery in the same way that two sand ribbons disrupt each other. As of yet, we have no evidence that terken disrupts other forms of investiture, though I admit that it very well could.

11 minutes ago, Criggleworth said:

I hold to the theory that a sandling's shell is made out of, at least partially, the lichen from sand they ingest. I think it explains both the general investure side effect of their size and the terken's resistance to sand mastery. 

Basically, being made out of lichen, the terken disrupts sand mastery in the same way that two sand ribbons disrupt each other. As of yet, we have no evidence that terken disrupts other forms of investiture, though I admit that it very well could.

That's an interesting theory. My main questions would be: a.) why do only a few sandlings have terken, and b.) why does it not charge? (I don't remember if the color was ever described, granted.)

4 hours ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

That's an interesting theory. My main questions would be: a.) why do only a few sandlings have terken, and b.) why does it not charge? (I don't remember if the color was ever described, granted.)

My best guesses: a. The older a sandling gets, the denser its shell gets, which means more lichen, and b. The lichen dies when it is digested, so it keeps the disruptive property but can't be charged anymore. 

12 hours ago, Criggleworth said:

Interesting thought, but only a partial explanation

• How does something of that size move through sand with a reasonable expenditure of energy?
  • Given their mouths, they are clearly predators. So what do they eat?
  • How do they sense prey? Lifesense?
  • How do they eat people? And why? We are around 70% water.
  • How do they breathe?

7 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Interesting thought, but only a partial explanation

• How does something of that size move through sand with a reasonable expenditure of energy?
  • Given their mouths, they are clearly predators. So what do they eat?
  • How do they sense prey? Lifesense?
  • How do they eat people? And why? We are around 70% water.
  • How do they breathe?

I would guess they sense vibrations, given the Dune vibes that Taldain has.

Otherwise... no idea! I really hope that should a cosmere art book happen, it has some nice Shallan style research sketches for Taldain and any other non-Earth life.

On 30.10.2020 at 7:46 PM, Criggleworth said:

So, there are several magic systems that are considered canon, though they've not yet really been in a canon, published work. I wanted to list them out and see if anyone else knew of any more. I'm going to sort them into, basically, canon and made a cameo, canon but not in anything published, and probably canon but not confirmed.

Canon with a Cameo

I forgot one:
Old Threnody's method of making Cognitive Shadows that Nazriloff mentions meeting Kelsier.