Poll: Gavinor’s Future

honorblades

Gavinor’s Future  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Gavinor will undoubtedly be important in the Stormlight Archive going forward. What will his role be as an adult?

• He will bond a spren join the Radiants
    • He will not bond a spren, but will still join the Radiants at Urithiru
    • He will ally with the Radiants, but operate outside of Urithiru
    • He will not ally with the Radiants, and instead pursue his own goals
    • He will oppose the Radiants
    • He will die before making any of the above choices
  2. 2. Will Gavinor survive until the end of Stormlight 10?

• Yes
    • No
    • He will die, but become a Cognitive Shadow

I would like to discuss young Gavinor’s role in the Stormlight Archive. Obviously this is pretty far future speculation, mostly for the Back 5, but I think it would be interesting to make predictions now. If you have a prediction I have not listed here please feel free to add it below! 

My crackpot theory is that Gavinor will be Odium's champion.

Based mostly on an epigraph in WoK: "I hold the suckling child in my hands, a knife at his throat, and know that all who live wish me to let the blade slip. Spill its blood upon the ground, over my hands, and with it gain us further breath to draw."

I think that Gavinor will become the ‘Adolin’ of the back five books- I.e., a non-flashback character with significant prominence.

I’m almost certain he’ll bond a Spren as well, and possibly become obsessed with hunting down Moash (assuming Moash is still around). In fact, maybe that’s a major inciting incident!

Picture this: it’s the prologue/early chapters of Book 6. At the end of the last book, all 10 viewpoint characters took up the Oathpact and traveled to Braize to delay the Desolation. Adolin is now High King of the Coalition, and the coalition is locked in a tentative peace with Rira, Iri, and some of the other areas that supported the Fused and are still hostile. Word comes that Moash has resurfaced in these kingdoms, but the Coalition cannot take him out without risking war with them. So, in a tense scene, Gavinor enters Adolin’s court, swears the first three oaths of one of the orders, and convinces Adolin to let him hunt Moash on his own.

Farfetched, yes- but dang, I think it’d be so storming cool.

Here's a question, if Gavinor seriously pursues revenge on Moash, would that be a bad thing? Revenge motivated by hatred in fantasy is usually considered morally gray at best, and usually a bad thing in the cosmere, especially since passionate hatred is within Odium's domain. Moash seems pretty clearly a force for bad at this point, but at the same time Brandon has practically bent over backwards to prevent Kaladin from ever killing someone when it might have been done out of personal motivations.

6 hours ago, LuckyJim said:

Here's a question, if Gavinor seriously pursues revenge on Moash, would that be a bad thing

Yes, on two fronts.
1. Moash did nothing wrong /s
2. A huge part of this whole Kaladin/Moash/Amaram arc is about being consumed by revenge and Odium Hatred. Giving in to blind rage and hate has been universally deemed by the series thematically to be a bad thing.