Honorless

Lopen and Rysn had something in common

4 posts in this topic

So, from the information we currently have on Dawnshard from the released prologue makes it seem that Rysn and Lopen will be at the helm of the journey to Aimia.

Until recently, they had something in common, disability. Rysn lost use of her legs in the Reshi Isles in Words of Radiance, Lopen was one-handed till he became a Radiant. Despite Lopen's injuries being much older he never viewed himself as a cripple and constantly cracked one-armed Herdazian jokes. Rysn, on the other hand, started seeing herself differently after the incident, to the point that Renarin couldn't heal her with Regrowth.

There could be another journey that the characters make, Lopen might teach Rysn to view herself differently, possibly enough for her to deal or maybe even enough for her to heal.

Edited by Honorless

Apologies, couldn't find the link but someone asked about disability representation in the r/brandonsanderson subreddit and Brandon replied and conversed with the person a lot about this. Not that it was spoilery but since you were asking about this I thought you might be interested. If someone else can google-fu the link before I get a chance please post below. Otherwise I'll keep searching and update when I find it.

Edit: here'e the response.

The initial post/letter/essay is worth a read!

@Justice, I've read Claincy's letter as he's posted it on the Shard as well and liked what they had to say. I probably wouldn't have found out about Brandon's response on Reddit until it had become very old news, so thank you for cross-posting it here

Edited by Honorless

Cool glad you had seen! So I agree, there must be something with the two of them coming together. Speculation seems almost pointless since Sanderson always surprises me but then why else am I on a prerelease forum?

The difference in how these characters deal with their individual challenges may echo the differences between Shallan and Kaladin in their handling of their mental health issues. Kaladin wasn’t fixed after learning of Shallans past but he did learn about another way people behave. The coming together of perspectives should be fruitful to say the least. Aaah I want to read it now!!!