vasher and nightblood

Wispsy

Do we know why vashers name is something of a joke on his part?

did brandon himself say nightblood corrupts the breath? black is a colour on nalthis and nightblood has no eyes so it could just be nightbloods instinctive use of the breath to destroy and his lack of colour sense?

• 2 weeks later...

The nightblood question has been discussed in another topic. i think it is because He rips breath away from people in order to destroy evil. He is unnatural, metal brought to life, and His very existance goes against both the magic system by which he was created, and the nature of the Shard, whose power he uses.

I'm not sure you can say his existence goes against the magic system and the shard...he was made using 1000 breaths, he is more a part of the magic system and shards power then any other awakening right? Even more then most awakeners and returned....It's not his fault he draws loads of breath out of people how else is he gonna get the power to destroy evil! It might have something to do with how he was imagined destorying evil as he was given the command and to carry that out he uses the breaths supplied by the user as he can't use his own!

He is just misunderstood :(

Edit:returned consume breaths as well, just not at the same speed, but then they are made by endowment not a person so they might just be more efficient?

Edited by Wispsy

• 1 month later...

Or, at least, none that we know of.

More so than most of Brandon Sanderson's books, even, Warbreaker is all about how the magic is still developing, and other places will have other tricks. Heck, the annotations seem to saying that Yesteel knows how to mass-produce Nightbloods.

But, yes, the ability to forcefully remove Breath does seem ideologically opposite to the rest of Awakening.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

I dunno if he really is forcefully taking them. I think maybe people just get caught up in his will

He doesn't draw breaths till he is drawn right, just when ur touching him u feel his overpowering desire to draw him and carry it out, when he is drawn this could be increased dramatically, vivenna could probably draw him with no breaths in her and it would be alright, vasher has a problem because he has that final breath he really can afford to lose

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno if he really is forcefully taking them. I think maybe people just get caught up in his will

He doesn't draw breaths till he is drawn right, just when ur touching him u feel his overpowering desire to draw him and carry it out, when he is drawn this could be increased dramatically, vivenna could probably draw him with no breaths in her and it would be alright, vasher has a problem because he has that final breath he really can afford to lose

I thought Nightblood made you kill yourself when you ran out of Breaths.

• 1 year later...

I believe that nightblood works to take the breaths of others because by his given command 'destroy evil' he will kill those who are evil, by using his sentience to overpower their own minds, as seen in the fact that the people wielding nightblood tend to be terrorstricken with the exception of Vasher. The taking of other people's breaths is probably a part of nightblood's sentience knowing that it gives him more strength and ability to complete his command, giving him more power to persuade people to take him up.

• Chaos locked this topic