Hello!

DiemWolf

1 hour ago, DiemWolf said:

Hey! New to the forums, but not new to the Cosmere. I think this is the first fandom forum that I've ever joined and I'm excited to read everyone's theories, thoughts, and reactions. Cheers!

Hello, and Welcome to the Shard!

Who's your favorite Sanderson character?

2 hours ago, DiemWolf said:

Hey! New to the forums, but not new to the Cosmere. I think this is the first fandom forum that I've ever joined and I'm excited to read everyone's theories, thoughts, and reactions. Cheers!

Hello! If you were to stick a character in a room with pattern for one uninterrupted hour, which cosmere character would be the most entertaining?

Welcome to the Shard DiemWolf! So happy to have you join us! We are honored to be your first fandom forum to join that is awesome! Hope we live up to your expectations :D 

New to the Shard but not new to the Cosmere is a wonderful combo. We look forward to hearing about any of your theories, thoughts, and reactions as well!

What was the first book in the Cosmere that you read and do you wish you had started elsewhere? Look forward to seeing you around! 

Hey! I have no idea if what I'm about to do is proper forum etiquette, but I'm going to quote and answer everyone's questions in one comment! Thanks for having me!

On 10/26/2020 at 5:43 PM, I Am A Fish said:

Hello, and Welcome to the Shard!

Who's your favorite Sanderson character?

Thanks! I'd have to say Sixth. Sometimes you just want to sail to an island and hang out with some birds. 

23 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

Hello! If you were to stick a character in a room with pattern for one uninterrupted hour, which cosmere character would be the most entertaining?

I think Breeze would be the most entertaining, but Ham would be more interesting.

23 hours ago, Chasmgoat said:

Hi! which cell of the pancreas do you prefer, alpha or beta?

more seriously, if you could, what would you ask harmony (or another shard)

Welcome to the shard, it is a great community!

Probably Beta (I have a sweet tooth :D).

I'd love to ask Harmony why he chose to keep the Southern Scadrians so separated from the population in Elend's Basin, or maybe to see a roster of his Kandra minions with their missions. 

19 hours ago, The Traveller said:

Welcome to the shard! When did you really got into cosmere? Which was the first book and which is the favourite one?

I'm guessing 6 or 7 years at this point. The first book was The Final Empire. I had just finished yet another reread of Wheel of Time, and decided to finally check out what other books this Brandon Sanderson guy has written. Got hooked with Mistborn, and it's been a Journey ever since. My favorite at the time of of this post is Sixth of Dusk. Something about the mystery around Patji leaves me wanting more from that world just a little bit more than I do the others. Also, who doesn't want an aviar companion? Yes, please.

16 hours ago, Scout_Fox said:

Welcome to the Shard DiemWolf! So happy to have you join us! We are honored to be your first fandom forum to join that is awesome! Hope we live up to your expectations :D 

New to the Shard but not new to the Cosmere is a wonderful combo. We look forward to hearing about any of your theories, thoughts, and reactions as well!

What was the first book in the Cosmere that you read and do you wish you had started elsewhere? Look forward to seeing you around! 

Honored to be here! I don't have too many ideas that haven't been discussed at length already or have already been made canon or disproved. I do have an idea of who Odium might choose for his new Champion if that's still a thing after Oathbringer, but I don't have any evidence for it other than a hunch.

I started in Mistborn, and after reading everything else, I don't think there's a better series that would ease you into the larger picture the way it does. The first book is a very focused heist novel in the City. The second book takes a bigger picture look at the surrounding area, and the third encompasses the world, and eases you into the much larger Cosmere. You don't need any outside information at all, but some can be useful for understanding different things. While books like Elantris and Warbreaker could be read without any sort of cosmere knowledge and be whole stories. They're super helpful in understanding some things in Stormlight, but otherwise, nothing in them would make me think there was more to it than what's in those particular pages.

12 hours ago, Chanarach said:

Hiya Diem. Whitesand fan?

Yo. It's okay. Not my favorite. I honestly didn't put that together until you asked. My username was something I made up for my xbox gamertag forever ago, but it's proven to be a unique combination of words, so I tend to use it everywhere. If you ever see DiemWolf anywhere, it's likely me. 

On 10/27/2020 at 5:24 PM, DiemWolf said:

Honored to be here! I don't have too many ideas that haven't been discussed at length already or have already been made canon or disproved. I do have an idea of who Odium might choose for his new Champion if that's still a thing after Oathbringer, but I don't have any evidence for it other than a hunch.

I started in Mistborn, and after reading everything else, I don't think there's a better series that would ease you into the larger picture the way it does. The first book is a very focused heist novel in the City. The second book takes a bigger picture look at the surrounding area, and the third encompasses the world, and eases you into the much larger Cosmere.

A mega-post! An intro-er after our own heart :D

Huh that actually sound like it could be pretty cool! Maybe RoW will give you some more evidence for or against it?? :D

You know I've never really thought about how they expanded like that! You're totally right the way they expand in scope like sets you up for understanding how the world at large could get even bigger when taking into account the universe of the Cosmere. It like slowly increases in size for you to get mentally into it totally!

Edited by Scout_Fox

On 10/26/2020 at 2:05 PM, DiemWolf said:

Welcome to the Shard!

What's your favorite magic system in the Cosmere?

On 10/27/2020 at 7:41 PM, Scout_Fox said:

Huh that actually sound like it could be pretty cool! Maybe RoW will give you some more evidence for or against it??  :D

The preview chapters have definitely, uhhh, helped me narrow in on what I'm thinking, but I'd be super surprised if it's not already a thought in one of these rooms.

On 10/27/2020 at 8:54 PM, Mist said:

Welcome! We're happy to have you! 

I like your opinion about Patji; that's something that I haven't thought about before, but it's so true! Which book would you want to be a part of, Cosmere or not?

In Cosmere, I think Sixth of Dusk is where I want to be. I really just want a giant bird companion that has powers. Uhhh if there's a game that lets me have an animal companion, I usually roll with them rather than other types. 

Outside of cosmere, Kings of the Wyld. Gotta join a band!

On 10/27/2020 at 10:56 PM, Voidspawn said:

Welcome to the Shard!

What's your favorite magic system in the Cosmere?

WHOO Thanks!

Despite some of what I've said earlier, probably Awakening. I enjoy the idea of magic being somewhat attainable for anyone. I realize it tends to lend itself to those who can afford it, and I definitely have some moral concerns about keeping Returned alive. But to have a system where you don't HAVE to be born with power, or are limited to a very small fragment of the available powers is fantastic. 

5 hours ago, DiemWolf said:

The preview chapters have definitely, uhhh, helped me narrow in on what I'm thinking, but I'd be super surprised if it's not already a thought in one of these rooms.

That's awesome then! Even if it's not fully set, narrowed down is pretty good! And maybe with the rest you'll be able to narrow it down even more :D

Oh and you haven't been fully, fully, welcomed until you have been reminded that the mods prefer it best if you don't double post! We know, telling someone they did something wrong is a pretty powerful welcoming technique but what can we say we are just that amazing :P You can tap the plus icon next to "Quote" on multiple peoples posts to quote them all at once. Welcome again!

On 28/10/2020 at 6:11 AM, Scout_Fox said:

You know I've never really thought about how they expanded like that! You're totally right the way they expand in scope like sets you up for understanding how the world at large could get even bigger when taking into account the universe of the Cosmere. It like slowly increases in size for you to get mentally into it totally!

I agree with this 100 % @Scout_Fox and @DiemWolf
It is one of my favourite things about Brandon’s writing. 
Mistborn is a perfect example of this. In era 2 also, something that starts as a simple crime ( theft ans kidnapping) solving story suddenly becomes big in scope what with the set and their plans that will take effect in 100 to 200 years later. 
Then BoM takes us on a wider scale where we learn of southerners and are in the end introduced to the threat of another god interfering in Scadrial. Hello cosmere level stuff. 
Same goes for SA. 

18 hours ago, Scout_Fox said:

That's awesome then! Even if it's not fully set, narrowed down is pretty good! And maybe with the rest you'll be able to narrow it down even more :D

Oh and you haven't been fully, fully, welcomed until you have been reminded that the mods prefer it best if you don't double post! We know, telling someone they did something wrong is a pretty powerful welcoming technique but what can we say we are just that amazing :P You can tap the plus icon next to "Quote" on multiple peoples posts to quote them all at once. Welcome again!

Fair! I thought I was doing the wrong thing earlier buy doing the multiquote earlier, but I can see how doing that would drastically lower the amount of notifications people receive. Thank you for the warm welcome and the tips!

4 hours ago, DiemWolf said:

Fair! I thought I was doing the wrong thing earlier buy doing the multiquote earlier, but I can see how doing that would drastically lower the amount of notifications people receive. Thank you for the warm welcome and the tips!

Yeah you had it right the first time! Apologies if my initial response made it seem otherwise, looking at it I can see that it was bit confusing :D 

You are so welcome and I hope you have an amazing time on the Shard!

On 10/29/2020 at 1:10 PM, DiemWolf said:

But to have a system where you don't HAVE to be born with power, or are limited to a very small fragment of the available powers is fantastic. 

In Warbreaker, isn't everyone born with one Breath? Doesn't that means that everyone has powers, they just aren't strong enough to do anything real.