[Poll] Should I change the setting to allow others to follow me?

Ixthos

Should I switch the function to allow others to follow me on, or leave it switched off?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should I switch the function on, or leave it switched off?

• Yes
    • No

Hi everyone, hope you are well :-)

First off I would like to apologise if my new profile picture leads to any confusion - it was originally a white Star of David against a gradient of colours, each corner of the star in a different colour from red to magenta, that was brighter in the middle, which has special significance to me. I got the impression that it was giving people the wrong idea, so I changed it to one that I feel is a little more representative of me. I'm still the same ADHD left handed South African Christian nerd I've always been, and hopefully this picture will help convey at least some of that.

... Of course, its also probably the first time most of those reading this post would have been aware of those details, so sorry if that feels like it came out of left field, though I do like to put all the cards on the table whenever discussing something, and some of that might be relevant to this question. I don't know how, but it might. Maybe that's just my ADHD talking.

So, the question: should I switch on the function to allow others to follow this profile?

This might seem like a strange question, and I've been debating if I even should ask others if I should do this, so it might be a good idea to explain why I switched that function off when I first made this profile. You see, when I was given the option when making this profile it occurred to be that having it on would potentially lead to one of two things. Either my ego inflates because of people following me, or it deflates because no-one does. It was mainly the first reason, but also partially the second, that made me leave that function off. I'd like to think it was entirely the first reason, but I aim to be honest with myself and with others, and I can't deny at least part of the reason was the worry I would wound my will with that function active, though of far greater concern was what would happen if I let my ego get the better of me with others following.

So then, if those are my reasons, why am I even asking this now? To be fully upfront about this, two reasons.

1. I've had several people message me at various times who noted that that function was off, and either wanted to know why or said that if it were on they would follow me. It seems that for some being able to follow another actually is something they find beneficial. So enabling it would potentially help some others' experiences.
  2. It might be helpful for me to get other content I care about seen by more people if it is the type of content people like - I am happy to write things here that no-one sees, but it might help others things otherwise lost in the jumble stand out.

So, what do you think? Should I switch it on, or leave it switched off? Do you have yours on or off, and what is your reasons for doing so?

Of course if no-one posts here or if no-one votes in the poll that also sends a clear message :-P either way I'm not going to take the result as the final decision, but it will help me get a better feel for if others think it is a good idea or a bad idea.

Either way I hope you all have a great day!

25 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

Hi everyone, hope you are well :-)

First off I would like to apologise if my new profile picture leads to any confusion - it was originally a white Star of David against a gradient of colours, each corner of the star in a different colour from red to magenta, that was brighter in the middle, which has special significance to me. I got the impression that it was giving people the wrong idea, so I changed it to one that I feel is a little more representative of me. I'm still the same ADHD left handed South African Christian nerd I've always been, and hopefully this picture will help convey at least some of that.

... Of course, its also probably the first time most of those reading this post would have been aware of those details, so sorry if that feels like it came out of left field, though I do like to put all the cards on the table whenever discussing something, and some of that might be relevant to this question. I don't know how, but it might. Maybe that's just my ADHD talking.

So, the question: should I switch on the function to allow others to follow this profile?

This might seem like a strange question, and I've been debating if I even should ask others if I should do this, so it might be a good idea to explain why I switched that function off when I first made this profile. You see, when I was given the option when making this profile it occurred to be that having it on would potentially lead to one of two things. Either my ego inflates because of people following me, or it deflates because no-one does. It was mainly the first reason, but also partially the second, that made me leave that function off. I'd like to think it was entirely the first reason, but I aim to be honest with myself and with others, and I can't deny at least part of the reason was the worry I would wound my will with that function active, though of far greater concern was what would happen if I let my ego get the better of me with others following.

So then, if those are my reasons, why am I even asking this now? To be fully upfront about this, two reasons.

1. I've had several people message me at various times who noted that that function was off, and either wanted to know why or said that if it were on they would follow me. It seems that for some being able to follow another actually is something they find beneficial. So enabling it would potentially help some others' experiences.
  2. It might be helpful for me to get other content I care about seen by more people if it is the type of content people like - I am happy to write things here that no-one sees, but it might help others things otherwise lost in the jumble stand out.

So, what do you think? Should I switch it on, or leave it switched off? Do you have yours on or off, and what is your reasons for doing so?

Of course if no-one posts here or if no-one votes in the poll that also sends a clear message :-P either way I'm not going to take the result as the final decision, but it will help me get a better feel for if others think it is a good idea or a bad idea.

Either way I hope you all have a great day!

Allow me to say this. I leave mine on so that I am able to connect with all of the awesome sharders out there. I have yet to regret choosing to allow others to follow me. In my mind it does not add to my ego so much as act as a  comfort that there are others out there with similar interests who want to hear what I have to say. It allows me to grow and I'd like to think that others grow as well. I would be such a different person if I had not made so many friends. From what I have seen you are awesome and have so much to add. I for one would certainly follow you if given the chance.

I feel like it would be a great idea! As to your worry about no one following you, I’d say that if you don’t give yourself the chance to be happy you’ll wind up sad for certain. Plus, based on the pms you’ve received (and my personal preferences) you’ll have a guaranteed number of people who will follow you.  

I chose to give people the ability to follow me for two reasons:

1. If I post a status update (and I post a heck of a lot of status updates :P) People will be notified, and will be far more likely to see it, making it easier for me to get messages out 
  2. I knew that if I ever changed my mind, I was a few clicks away from being able to turn off the function.

If I were you, (which I'm obviously not) I'd try it out, maybe enable the function for a few weeks. If you feel that it's not working well, or your ego is suffering from inflation, or deflation, then turn it off. If you feel no significant difference then keep it on.

Of course this is just my opinion, and you should do what works best for you. 

I also have mine on. I find the people who follow me and the people I follow to be a fantastic family within the family of the shard. They are my strongest supporters with whatever I do. Even if I change my profile picture to a horrifying monster. I feel it is only beneficial to have it on.