Dor question for Brandon

So, I was going to preorder a copy of Rhythms of War and wrote a question for it, only to realize that the price of shipping to Canada was going to blow it right out my budget. So, sadly, I'm going to have to wait for it to show up in stores. However, I figured that if anyone is looking for inspiration on what to ask Brandon, I could post my question here. (or even if someone has a WoB answering it). For background, most of the questions I've asked Brandon in the past have been about the Dor, and I've only gotten one RAFO, so he doesn't seem too shy of talking on the topic. This question may push it a bit farther though. Here it is:

You've described the Dor as something proto-aware. Does this mean that the Dor is slowly gaining sentience, despite the conflicting intents, or is it already as aware as it can become? Additionally, is this proto-awareness looking for a vessel and/or would it be open to being picked up by a vessel?

A little long, but it fits inside the 300 character limit. Any thoughts? (or takers?)

12 hours ago, Thanatos said:

We know part of the planet is becoming aware. 

If it does, and it picks up the Dor...

We know the Dor has limited emotional sentience, but I dont know of anything saying the Planet itself is awakening that way, and at least one that says the Land would not count as a Vessel.  Could you point me to your source?

Questioner

Shards. Is it possible for them to think outside-- without having a person they're working through?

Brandon Sanderson

The power left alone around people will eventually gain a kind of sentience.

Questioner

Kind of like the Stormfather?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. So it is possible. It doesn't always happen, and sometimes it takes a while. For example, the Dor? Basic, rudimentary, feeling only. It's not-- you know.

Firefight Miami signing (Jan. 8, 2015)

The Young Pyromancer

Theoretically, if the Dor-- ifSel became a Shard, would-- The biggest limiter on Shards is the Vessel's mind, would that be more limiting or less limiting?

Brandon Sanderson

...If the Dor were itself to become a Shard combining Devotion and Dominion, and were to pick up a Vessel? Because they're still Shards, they just don't have a Vessel.

The Young Pyromancer

So the land couldn't be Vessel?

Brandon Sanderson

The land itself? Of Arelon or of--

The Young Pyromancer

Of Sel.

Brandon Sanderson

The land of Sel would not count as a Vessel. You would say in terminology right now that Dominion and Devotion do not have Vessels in the same way that other Shards do.

Skyward Seattle signing (Nov. 10, 2018)

Questioner

Can holders of Shards give them up voluntarily? If so, what would happen?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, a Vessel for a Shard of Adonalsium can give up their power if they wish.

As for what would happen...well, there are some variables in there. Kind of like the variables in what happens to a bucket of water if you dump it out. Depends on where it falls, how strong the wind is, what the air is like.

Power dropped like this, if left alone, could end up Splintering and turning into something like spren/seons. It could become something more like the Stormfather--a large, self-aware entity. It could become something like the Dor or many of the Unmade--something proto-aware, but not truly an individual. There are other possibilities as well, depending on lots of factors. (Are sapient beings involved? what is being done with the power--is it concentrated in the Spiritual Realm as normal, or is it being pushed somewhere else?)

FAQFriday 2017 (June 9, 2017)

He got the Land becoming sentient from the Arcanum Unbounded essay on Sel. Can't remember the exact wording. 

Edit: Forgot to add a question. Are you sure you can pay to ask Brandon a question on your signed RoW pre order? When I went to do it the bookstore I used gave a limited list of things you could ask for like a quote from a book. I think it specifically said not to ask questions like this that he might have to research or really think about because it would make the signing process take much longer.

Edited by Harrycrapper

On 10/26/2020 at 5:54 PM, Harrycrapper said:

Edit: Forgot to add a question. Are you sure you can pay to ask Brandon a question on your signed RoW pre order? When I went to do it the bookstore I used gave a limited list of things you could ask for like a quote from a book. I think it specifically said not to ask questions like this that he might have to research or really think about because it would make the signing process take much longer.

I can't remember which bookstore it was through, but one had a field for a question to ask Brandon. Not necessarily that he would write something in your based on the question. My best guess is that they are planning on compiling these questions and having Brandon answer them as part of the release. No idea the specifics though. I simply assumed the other bookstores/venues gave the same/a similar option.

Edit:

On 10/26/2020 at 5:54 PM, Harrycrapper said:

He got the Land becoming sentient from the Arcanum Unbounded essay on Sel. Can't remember the exact wording. 

Man, I need to dust off Arcanum Unbounded, don't I. It's been too long since I've gone through it (pre-Oathbringer at least) and there are probably a bunch more connections to make.

Edited by Brightlord M. Alhstrom

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 5:08 PM, Brightlord M. Alhstrom said:

I can't remember which bookstore it was through, but one had a field for a question to ask Brandon. Not necessarily that he would write something in your based on the question. My best guess is that they are planning on compiling these questions and having Brandon answer them as part of the release. No idea the specifics though. I simply assumed the other bookstores/venues gave the same/a similar option.

Edit:

Man, I need to dust off Arcanum Unbounded, don't I. It's been too long since I've gone through it (pre-Oathbringer at least) and there are probably a bunch more connections to make.

Yea, there are some gems in there. One of the mysteries from it that I'm curious about that became a bit more relevant after OB is the stated fact that Scadrial is one of two places Khriss knew of that had humans that were created by post-Shattering Shards. 

Also I think I figured out the answer as to why you were offered a chance to ask a freeform question. I never read an email they sent me until now, it says that they'll later give me a chance to submit a question to Brandon for the virtual signing event. So the question you submitted will possibly be answered in the virtual event. I'm guessing they can't get to all of them as there are thousands of books being sold through these bookstores and he obviously can't answer that many. But there's a chance.