Where could you worldhop?

Oltux72

The worlds of the Cosmere have some physical and social constraints on travel. So who could go where? Strictly speaking this question would have to be asked with reference to special abilities and non-human populations, but that would make it extremely complicated. So let's look at ordinary people

Roshar -> basically nowhere without serious discomfort or even danger. Most places have about 40% more gravity and a third less oxygen in the atmosphere. They'd need a lot of training. Sel is likely forever out of reach.

Nalthis -> everywhere but Sel. Sel would require acclimatisation and training

Sel -> everywhere, but they would be extraordinarily strong. And Nalthis would be odd. To anybody with life sense, they must stick out. Too much to be a drab and too little for one Breath.
Some of their ethnicities, however, look unmistakably alien

Scadrial, First of the Sun, Threnody, Taldaine's Dark Side -> no unusual issues, everybody sticks out on Nalthis

Taldaine's Light Side -> nowhere without extensive training. They'd freak out at sunset.

11 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Roshar -> basically nowhere without serious discomfort or even danger. Most places have about 40% more gravity and a third less oxygen in the atmosphere. They'd need a lot of training. Sel is likely forever out of reach.

Sel -> everywhere, but they would be extraordinarily strong. And Nalthis would be odd. To anybody with life sense, they must stick out. Too much to be a drab and too little for one Breath.

Taldaine's Light Side -> nowhere without extensive training. They'd freak out at sunset.

Why do you say that about Selish spark-of-life specifically? All Shardworlders would seem to have more than drabs but less than a Nalthian with a vibrant, healthy Breath. They'll just think their Breath isn't as robust.

Taldain people, from both Dayside and Darkside would need to acclimatize their sleep patterns for regular day/night cycles.

Sel and Roshar's gravity means they would need to acclimatize themselves on other planets, plus Roshar's weather is different too, but that'd probably make them happier about weather elsewhere.

Scadrians would finally see moon(s)! But their planet's pretty standard post-Catacendre. Final Empire era Scadrians must've gotten a surprise with blue skies, stars and green plants.

48 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Why do you say that about Selish spark-of-life specifically?

I didn't. I merely mentioned them first. Quoting myself:

Scadrial, First of the Sun, Threnody, Taldaine's Dark Side -> no unusual issues, everybody sticks out on Nalthis

All Shardworlders would seem to have more than drabs but less than a Nalthian with a vibrant, healthy Breath. They'll just think their Breath isn't as robust.

That depends. Are there Breaths that are that puny?

Taldain people, from both Dayside and Darkside would need to acclimatize their sleep patterns for regular day/night cycles.

That makes me wonder how they do this. Do shops on Taldaine close individually? Do they have set market hours?

Sel and Roshar's gravity means they would need to acclimatize themselves on other planets, plus Roshar's weather is different too, but that'd probably make them happier about weather elsewhere.

Roshar's atmosphere is different, too. Denser and more oxygen. That really makes me wonder whether people can go to another world. Crushing gravity, less air and less oxygen in that air and you'd lose your regular boosts of Stormlight.

Scadrians would finally see moon(s)! But their planet's pretty standard post-Catacendre. Final Empire era Scadrians must've gotten a surprise with blue skies, stars and green plants.

If you want to be pedantic, some Scadrians must have seen moons. The star has several gas giants. You can see moons with a telescope, just not around your own planet.

3 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

I didn't. I merely mentioned them first. Quoting myself:

That depends. Are there Breaths that are that puny?

That makes me wonder how they do this. Do shops on Taldaine close individually? Do they have set market hours?

Roshar's atmosphere is different, too. Denser and more oxygen. That really makes me wonder whether people can go to another world. Crushing gravity, less air and less oxygen in that air and you'd lose your regular boosts of Stormlight.

If you want to be pedantic, some Scadrians must have seen moons. The star has several gas giants. You can see moons with a telescope, just not around your own planet.

Ah, got it. Shouldn't be too much of a problem, I think, most Worldhoppers probably have access to an Invested Art and the rest probably have access to some tricks to blend in.

The Daysiders do have set market hours, called Taisha standard time.

I'm sure the Scadrians would still enjoy the novelty.

On 10/25/2020 at 5:18 PM, Oltux72 said:

The worlds of the Cosmere have some physical and social constraints on travel. So who could go where? Strictly speaking this question would have to be asked with reference to special abilities and non-human populations, but that would make it extremely complicated. So let's look at ordinary people

You’ve read Nightfall, I take it?