What can bonded spren do without their Radiants?

I was going through the preview chapters of Rhythm of War again and noticed this part in chapter 5 after Leshwi escapes Kaladin. 

“Without you, I’d be as dumb as a rock. And without me you’d fly like one. I think we’re better off not worrying about what we could do without the other.” She folded her arms. “Besides, what would I do if I caught her? Glare at her? I need you for the stabby-stabby part.”

This got me thinking. What can a bonded Spren do without their radiant physical being within a few feet?

We have seen spren do some of the following. (This is not an all-inclusive list, just some examples of what I remember)

• Carry small items
  • Undo locks
  • Deliver messages
  • Scout/look for enemies
  • Distract opponents

However, I was thinking that it might be possible for a spren with a high enough bond to produce a Blade to form a blade while not directly in the hands of a radiant. While it is true that there would be no radiant there to swing the Blade, a spike or an ax forming right above a target's head might be enough to kill them. 

Now that I have put this idea out there, somebody pull out a WOB saying that I am an idiot for even thinking of this. :)

I don’t have a wob, and it is an interesting idea. However, I don’t believe this is the case simply because we haven’t ever seen it. We have seen plenty of Radiants with Blade worthy bonds, many of whom have had ample opportunity to experiment all they want. I’m pretty sure one of them would figure it out and use it on screen at some point.

15 hours ago, Truthwatcher Artifabrian said:

I don’t have a wob, and it is an interesting idea. However, I don’t believe this is the case simply because we haven’t ever seen it. We have seen plenty of Radiants with Blade worthy bonds, many of whom have had ample opportunity to experiment all they want. I’m pretty sure one of them would figure it out and use it on screen at some point.

Not necessarily. Adolin was one of the few people who had a strong enough bond with Maya to throw her. Even though she is a deadeye, some of the same mechanics may apply. I doubt they would be able to form on their own, but they might be able to be throw or something similar.

7 hours ago, Ghanderflaffle said:

Not necessarily. Adolin was one of the few people who had a strong enough bond with Maya to throw her. Even though she is a deadeye, some of the same mechanics may apply. I doubt they would be able to form on their own, but they might be able to be throw or something similar.

So that was more about the Commands from Nalthis, his teacher was Vasher. He could visualize how to hold his blade in the air after he threw the sword. Other shardbearers would have figured this out as it was uncommon but not impossible. kinda like how allomantic metals are used in fabriels. It wasn't about the strength of their bond (although i think adolin will rewaken Maya with a new Bond.)

Syl can use Full Lashings (Adhesion).  It was one of her early preferred pranks, to stick things to each other, and that was before her mind had fully returned.  I think this implies that at least some of the Sapient Spren will be able to use basic forms of their granted Surges.  For example, I bet a Cultivationspren "Gardeners" could use "Growth" on a plant but maybe not ReGrowth which has a lot more cognitive and Spiritual components.