Hello all, do we think it’s going to be beneficial to refresh myself on Mistborn/Elantris prior to RoW?

Vasherin

Hey everyone, signed back up to the forum. I was a member previously but forgot my username etc. I’m now reobsessed after completing my SA/Warbreaker reread prior to Rhythm of War’s release. Do we know if things from the other cosmere titles are going to start being relevant to Stormlight in the way that Warbreaker is?

Edited by Vasherin

44 minutes ago, Chanarach said:

Hey Vasherin, welcome back.  You could probably get by without it, but couldn't hurt. There are Sel and Scadrial natives, on Roshar, as we speak. 

Thanks! Hmm, I know Felt is a Scadrial native though I don’t have a strong memory of his character in Mistborn. I can’t remember who the Sel native is though, assuming you don’t mean the lighthouse keeper in Shadesmar. Mind refreshing my memory on that one?

38 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

Welcom back! If you were to stab a character in the jugular and  pezdispense their vertebrae out, which character would it be?

Thanks! I’d probably have to say Jakamav for that one. He’s just one of those characters that doesn’t seem to have any redeeming qualities 

2 hours ago, Vasherin said:

Thank you! I did, I got Truthwatcher. What about you?

Same, I also got Willshaper and Lightweaver very close to Truthwatcher.

Oh and the question in your intro post, I'll say not quite. Brandon considers Warbreaker a prequel of sorts to Stormlight, so no other series is going to tie in as strongly as that one but Stormlight has had some remarkable crossover elements (so soon! I was expecting these things to happen much later) letters, trophy rooms, talking swords, colourful cursing, lighthouse keepers, pet birds, and who needs an excuse to reread the good stuff anyway! 

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

Same, I also got Willshaper and Lightweaver very close to Truthwatcher.

Oh and the question in your intro post, I'll say not quite. Brandon considers Warbreaker a prequel of sorts to Stormlight, so no other series is going to tie in as strongly as that one but Stormlight has had some remarkable crossover elements (so soon! I was expecting these things to happen much later) letters, trophy rooms, talking swords, colourful cursing, lighthouse keepers, pet birds, and who needs an excuse to reread the good stuff anyway! 

I was 1% away from Elsecaller so there’s a possibility I’d have had two spren sniffing around me! 

Okay, cool. I think I’ll leave it until after Rhythm of War. I wouldn’t be able to finish everything else before the 17th. Maybe I’ll notice some more tie ins retrospectively. 

Welcome (once again?) to the Shard! Happy to have you join/rejoin us! :P

Obsessed is an excellent descriptive trait for a Sharder you're perfect! And props to you for getting in an adequate reread in time as well that's perfect timing! Honorless has it right on the money here as well.

What's your favorite SA book?

7 hours ago, Scout_Fox said:

Welcome (once again?) to the Shard! Happy to have you join/rejoin us! :P

Obsessed is an excellent descriptive trait for a Sharder you're perfect! And props to you for getting in an adequate reread in time as well that's perfect timing! Honorless has it right on the money here as well.

What's your favorite SA book?

Thanks for the welcome! Words of Radiance is my favourite so far I think. The main characters are starting to come into their own and that was very entertaining to see. Of course, they are more powerful in Oathbringer but I found that their dialogue was just a bit melodramatic for my taste. The secondary characters’ arcs in Oathbringer and the overall story were so good though. 

What about yours?

Edited by Vasherin

9 hours ago, Vasherin said:

Thanks for the welcome! Words of Radiance is my favourite so far I think. The main characters are starting to come into their own and that was very entertaining to see. Of course, they are more powerful in Oathbringer but I found that their dialogue was just a bit melodramatic for my taste. The secondary characters’ arcs in Oathbringer and the overall story were so good though. 

What about yours?

Ooh I would have to agree with you here! I always love reading WoR because it's when you finally start seeing them like take their powers by the reigns and start doing amazingly cool stuff with it! Like before then you see the character and get to connect with them but WoR is when you start just being like "awwwww yeah, les get it!" :P

It's like the bridge book between when you understand the character and understand what they can do. I definitely agree on the favorite (although we might see something even more amazing in the future :D)!

On 10/24/2020 at 7:35 AM, Vasherin said:

Thanks! Hmm, I know Felt is a Scadrial native though I don’t have a strong memory of his character in Mistborn. I can’t remember who the Sel native is though, assuming you don’t mean the lighthouse keeper in Shadesmar. Mind refreshing my memory on that one?

Gonna spoiler tag just in case 

Spoiler

Felt was Elend's spy master in the first trilogy.  Galladon of Elantris was ar Purelake in tWok, looking for Hoid with Demoux and Baon. Someone asked if Shai from Emperor New Soul was on Roshar, and he said very good question.   There's the Ire, of which, lighthouse dude is a member.  Hemalurgy is on world, things are rapidly becoming a mess.  If I remember right, the timeline for RoW, outside of Roshar is just before Wax and Wayne.  

On 10/24/2020 at 4:36 AM, Vasherin said:

Hey everyone, signed back up to the forum. I was a member previously but forgot my username etc. I’m now reobsessed after completing my SA/Warbreaker reread prior to Rhythm of War’s release. Do we know if things from the other cosmere titles are going to start being relevant to Stormlight in the way that Warbreaker is?

There are almost definitely going to be some hidden Easter Eggs that you'll need to have read the other books to find, but you'll probably get the main gist of the story even without reading them. Personally, I'm rereading all of the Brandon Sanderson books before RoW comes out, but it's your own decision.

P.S. @Vasherin, re-welcome to the Shard!

41 minutes ago, Voidspawn said:

I don't see an option to add a spoiler tag; how do you do that?

The eye button in the toolbar.

Welcome to the Shard! What's your favorite series? Do you have a favorite spren and if so, why? 

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Mist said:

Welcome to the Shard! What's your favorite series? Do you have a favorite spren and if so, why?

I've been part of the Shard since August, but whatever. My favorite series is Stormlight, and my favorite spren is the storming Voidbringer cause why not

Edited by Voidspawn