Weird stereotypes for your country/state/province/whatever ya wanna call it

Guest Somebody from Scadrial

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
2 minutes ago, FriarFritz said:

Close, but the top third or so of Los Angeles is a separate state, called "rain".

And "yee haw" extends a bit further east.

Yee haw and what are essentially the same thing or yee haw is texas and what? Is yee haw. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/24/2020 at 9:43 AM, Chasmgoat said:

was this inspired by my Texas comment?

anyway...

(most of these are not weird stereotypes)

I am Texan and some stereotypes include:

• that everyone is a cowboy kinda person
  • that everyone is really really big on football. (most people are though...)
  • we only eat barbeque and steak and big juicy burgers. (I wish this was true)
  • we live in a desert
  • everything is bigger in texas
  • we only listen to country music

also, @Scarletfox, if you want you can tell me if any of the above need revising...

Well, I'm from Texas, you know this @Chasmgoat, and here's my opinion. I wear boots 5/7 days a week, love football, everything is bigger in Texas, and I'm listening to country music right now. If I could I would basically only eat burgers, brisket, and sausage. So basically most of those stereotypes are true for me. 

19 hours ago, AonDii said:

as far as I know, the regions of the US are LA, Texas, Corn/Flat, Florida Man, and New York

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.  There's also this kinda L shaped segment that includes Oregon, Washington and extends across and down with the Rocky and Cascade Mountains that I refer to as Cold Rocks.

Edited by Spren of Kindness

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 6:55 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

New Yorkers are terrible drivers. I find this weird because my experience has been that non-New Yorkers are terrible drivers. They go. So. SLOW!!!

Which is why everybody thinks New Yorkers are terrible. I hate driving pushy, but I don’t drive in a town bigger than 15,000 people. Usually

18 minutes ago, Ghanderflaffle said:

Which is why everybody thinks New Yorkers are terrible. I hate driving pushy, but I don’t drive in a town bigger than 15,000 people. Usually

We also have terrible roads and idiotic traffic laws. Not to mention bikers and pedestrians who never follow the laws and truck drivers who won’t use truck routes. Oh, and the DoT intentionally messes with the lights and keeps blocking emergency routes with concrete sidewalks or narrowing streets to the point that fire engines can’t turn. And there is NEVER enough parking.

Between which you have to be A: a very good driver and B: a very aggressive one. Defensive driving in NYC means being aggressive and knowing when to take a risk and knowing when following the traffic law is stupid and WILL get you killed. (Cough... Gowanus to the Brooklyn Battery... cough) It also means learning to ignore curses and horns. Being non-aggressive is more likely to get you into an accident, honestly.

Try driving the Jackie sometime. Two tiny, narrow lanes and multiple hairpin turns in succession. Or the aforementioned Gowanus, where it’s safer to enter long before its legal to do so!

The problem tends to occur when we take this kind of driving elsewhere, where being aggressive isn’t safer or when tourists come to New York and fail to realize that aggressive = safe here.

55 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

We also have terrible roads and idiotic traffic laws. Not to mention bikers and pedestrians who never follow the laws and truck drivers who won’t use truck routes. Oh, and the DoT intentionally messes with the lights and keeps blocking emergency routes with concrete sidewalks or narrowing streets to the point that fire engines can’t turn. And there is NEVER enough parking.

Between which you have to be A: a very good driver and B: a very aggressive one. Defensive driving in NYC means being aggressive and knowing when to take a risk and knowing when following the traffic law is stupid and WILL get you killed. (Cough... Gowanus to the Brooklyn Battery... cough) It also means learning to ignore curses and horns. Being non-aggressive is more likely to get you into an accident, honestly.

Try driving the Jackie sometime. Two tiny, narrow lanes and multiple hairpin turns in succession. Or the aforementioned Gowanus, where it’s safer to enter long before its legal to do so!

The problem tends to occur when we take this kind of driving elsewhere, where being aggressive isn’t safer or when tourists come to New York and fail to realize that aggressive = safe here.

And this is why I have no care to visit big cities. Lincoln is plenty for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Western PA: 

We all speak Pittsburghese, which basically means 'yinz' instead of 'you,' adding "'n'at" to the end of every clause, and talking like you're garbling stones. Wayne would love it.

We're all die hard Steelers fans (Stillers in Pittsburghese).

SINKHOLES!!!

my family is moving from Seattle to Utah, not sure about the rest of Seattle, but i live within around 5-10 miles of around 3 strip clubs, why this is a thing I don't know, but I'm glade to trade them for temples in Utah.

2 hours ago, Gak said:

my family is moving from Seattle to Utah, not sure about the rest of Seattle, but i live within around 5-10 miles of around 3 strip clubs, why this is a thing I don't know, but I'm glade to trade them for temples in Utah.

When I think Seattle, I think CHAZ/CHOP

On 2/25/2021 at 0:07 PM, Bejardin1250 said:

”Florida man” Headlines

My favorite is "Florida man charged with assualt with a deadly weapon, after he threw an allagator through a Wndy's drive thru Window"

On 4/12/2021 at 8:02 AM, Random Bystander said:

For some reason, a lot of people don't think New Mexico is part of the United States of America. It gets so confusing. NEW MEXICO IS NOT PART OF MEXICO PEOPLE! Sorry for yelling.

@Channelknight Fadran part 2?!

2 hours ago, Frustration said:

No. This has been irritating me for years. As in, long before I moved to New Mexico.

I get it if you live outside of the U.S. But seriously! I learned the names of all 50 states in 2nd grade. So when I come across adults that think New Mexico is part of Mexico, I get really frustrated.

6 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

No. This has been irritating me for years. As in, long before I moved to New Mexico.

I get it if you live outside of the U.S. But seriously! I learned the names of all 50 states in 2nd grade. So when I come across adults that think New Mexico is part of Mexico, I get really frustrated.

I was refrencing that Fadran lived in New Mexico,

I am well aware of it's statehood