UK Covers (Why?!)

Child of Hodor

I've never loved the UK covers of the Stormlight books, but I couldn't articulate what my problem with them is. Now I think I know. As a piece of art they are good, but I don't feel the style is a good choice for the Stormlight Archive. 

The series is named after a magical glowing light that people, weapons, armor and gems of all colors glow with. Yet they chose to do these covers in mostly black and white with red as the only actual color. This perfect for Mistborn, Era 1 even has a red sun. Is this what happened? They used the mostly black and white cover for Mistborn and it was a hit so they had the same artist do the same style for all his books to associate them with that other successful book of his in people's minds? 

Next month, OATHBRINGER paperbacks! – Zeno Agency Ltd.Second UK Cover - Stormlight Archive - 17th Shard, the Official Brandon  Sanderson Fansite

The only way they could mismatch a series and a cover art style worse is if they used it for Warbreaker, haha!

OH NO! They even did it to the book about how awesome colors are! I concede they appear to have compromised their colorless artistic vision by including maybe four (4) colors in little dabs.  

UK cover released - Elantris and Emperor's Soul - 17th Shard, the Official  Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Me to the UK covers:Asking The Deep Questions GIF - Whyareyouthewaythatyouare Deep TheOffice -  Discover & Share GIFs

3 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

You dont wanna see Polish first edition covers 

Yeah, I know.  Let's be super judgey about them all while I'm here:

r/Stormlight_Archive - Comparison of "The Way of Kings" cover arts from different countries

That UK cover actually feels appropriate. The Polish one is super generic for sure. 

With the Japan cover every piece of it look at least OK on their own, but looks like a meme factory put it together The characters are plopped out there unmoored in the middle of it and they look like slightly melted action figures (I do like the gold armor upon closer inspection).

r/Stormlight_Archive - Comparison of "Words of Radiance" cover arts from different countries

My goodness what glorious metal nun's habit that guy is wearing! Wow! The way he's tilting his head and causally leaning his sword on his shoulder ... imagine feeling that cocky while wearing that metal hat. 

r/Stormlight_Archive - Comparison of "Oathbringer" cover arts from different countries

Nothing new to say here on the OB ones. I really dig the Germany part 2. 

A little "Son of the Mists" volume 3 as a palate cleanser:

The Son of the Mist3 (Chinese Edition): Brandon Sanderson: 9787229110000:  Amazon.com: Books

Edited by Child of Hodor

My favorites have to be all of the Germany and all of the French covers. I like the UK cover for WoK, but I think it would fit better as the Oathbringer cover. But anyways, I'd rather they stick with the UK covers theme then break SA off from the rest of the Cosmere. I think blue would've been a better choice then red though. That said, I don't buy UK covers so I don't know if my opinion matters much. 

My favorites: 

Way of Kings: For me, it is a tie between France's part 1 cover and the US cover.

Words of Radiance: Definitely Bulgaria's cover-- that looks SO COOL

Oathbringer: None of these really stand out to me as being my favorite so I'll default to the US cover.

I’m honestly not a big fan of having people on the covers of books in general (unless it’s more of a stylised illustration), so I’ve never been overly fond of any of Brandon’s covers. The art for all of them is fantastic but it’s not my sort of thing. If I had to pick from the Stormlight covers, I’d say the French and German ones are my favourites. 

Though while we’re talking about UK covers may I bring to attention the fact that the UK cover of HoA is just the cover of WoA but zoomed in. 

1 hour ago, The Awakened Salad said:

Though while we’re talking about UK covers may I bring to attention the fact that the UK cover of HoA is just the cover of WoA but zoomed in. 

LOL! Amazing. I’d respect it if they committed to the bit and all Era 1 were just a gradual zoom in on the same drawing of Vin. 

Era 2 is one drawing of Wayne with 4 different zoom ratios.

6B540599-96A0-43DB-913A-496628774C85.jpeg.4de5a0ec52b238db9ec13b88d7d25f01.jpeg

Edited by Child of Hodor

Old Polich Covers were very not-fitting, but now, New covers are much better. BTW, Warbreaker has the same colors as Stormlight Archive.

Spoiler

Warbreaker:

8199906331381.jpg

Spoiler

Way of Kings:

droga-krolow-archiwum-burzowego-swiatla-

Spoiler

Words of Radiance:

x399906619903.jpg

Spoiler

Oathbringer part one:

dawca-przysiegi-tom-1-b-iext58918110.jpg

Spoiler

Oathbringer part two:

dawca-przysiegi-archiwum-burzowego-swiat

On 24/10/2020 at 4:07 PM, Chanarach said:

All covers look bad next to a Michael Whelan cover.  

You say that, but the French WoK covers are amazing (by far my favorite of all the covers there) and the new Polish covers are ones that I am very tempted to re-buy the whole series so far just to get. If I could get those covers on English printed versions...

16 minutes ago, Realmatic Shadow said:

You say that, but the French WoK covers are amazing (by far my favorite of all the covers there) and the new Polish covers are ones that I am very tempted to re-buy the whole series so far just to get. If I could get those covers on English printed versions...

That's cool, mate.  I've been a Whelan fan for uh I guess bit over 25 years.  The To Green Angel Tower cover still takes my breath away.  

I'm actually a bit surprised of how much I like the french covers!!! The WoK with Kal and Shallan actually gave me huge chills. 

Bulgarian WoR is pretty amazing too. The way they represented such an iconic fight is quite good( but I only like it in retrospective, I prefer my covers less spoilery)

On 10/24/2020 at 3:53 AM, Bzhydack said:

Old Polich Covers were very not-fitting, but now, New covers are much better. BTW, Warbreaker has the same colors as Stormlight Archive.

Reveal hidden contents

Warbreaker:

8199906331381.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Way of Kings:

droga-krolow-archiwum-burzowego-swiatla-

Reveal hidden contents

Words of Radiance:

x399906619903.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Oathbringer part one:

dawca-przysiegi-tom-1-b-iext58918110.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Oathbringer part two:

dawca-przysiegi-archiwum-burzowego-swiat

Holy cow, I actually like the Polish covers a lot! Probably not more than the Michael Whelans, but they still look super accurate.

• 2 months later...

The French and English covers I like. The German covers are a disaster, when in Oathbringer was there a... what looks like a metal spaceship, in the middle of a sandy desert? Because apparently I missed that sequence! The rest of the German covers also look rather fantasy generic.

On 10/23/2020 at 3:01 PM, Child of Hodor said:

Yeah, I know.  Let's be super judgey about them all while I'm here:

r/Stormlight_Archive - Comparison of "The Way of Kings" cover arts from different countries

That UK cover actually feels appropriate. The Polish one is super generic for sure. 

With the Japan cover every piece of it look at least OK on their own, but looks like a meme factory put it together The characters are plopped out there unmoored in the middle of it and they look like slightly melted action figures (I do like the gold armor upon closer inspection).

r/Stormlight_Archive - Comparison of "Words of Radiance" cover arts from different countries

My goodness what glorious metal nun's habit that guy is wearing! Wow! The way he's tilting his head and causally leaning his sword on his shoulder ... imagine feeling that cocky while wearing that metal hat. 

r/Stormlight_Archive - Comparison of "Oathbringer" cover arts from different countries

Nothing new to say here on the OB ones. I really dig the Germany part 2. 

A little "Son of the Mists" volume 3 as a palate cleanser:

The Son of the Mist3 (Chinese Edition): Brandon Sanderson: 9787229110000:  Amazon.com: Books

To France and the Bulgaria covers are the best

• 4 weeks later...